1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

CamP
10/21/2011 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2011 3:33pm
jtracing6 wrote:
Nate, how much is the CR tank in the US? They are listed €400 here! I need one for my 96, plus a lot of other...
Nate, how much is the CR tank in the US? They are listed €400 here!
I need one for my 96, plus a lot of other stuff.
The 92-96 tank costs $232.15 through this place. OEM Parts

That is about 167 Euros.
dogger315
10/21/2011 3:26pm
That's awesome that both of you scored new tanks! I was told when I bought mine two years ago,
I was lucky because there were only a few tanks left. A buddy of mine tried to buy one a year ago
for his restoration and it went from back ordered to NLA before he gave up.

A new supply of tanks must have turned up because CMS was selling them for $550 a while back
before their supply ran out. Nobody would have been paying that kind of money if they were still
available from your local Honda dealer for half that amount.

I have another friend restoring a 93 now, I need to tell him the tanks are available again. Thanks
for the info.

JT, I'm tempted. I like to support the manufacturers that support us (two stroke racers). KTM is
the only major manufacturer still developing and selling two stroke MXers. I've raced Hondas for
a long time, so as long as I can "cobble" together competitive CRs, I'll ride Red. Speaking of
riding Red, I just finished a jet and tune session on my new CR500 - man that thing is fast.

dogger
CamP
10/21/2011 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2011 4:25pm
Speaking of new parts, I just received a new OEM expansion chamber for my '95. Unfortunately it came with a silver dollar sized ding. Thanks FedEx.

MCfan4life
10/23/2011 12:45am
PN27416 wrote:
MCfan, Well done! The newest 2 stroke I own is this bike. I also have a set of the fox graphics sitting in a drawer. You...
MCfan,
Well done! The newest 2 stroke I own is this bike. I also have a set of the fox graphics sitting in a drawer.
You have shown me the bike I need to do.
Thanks PN. Glad I could be of some inspiration Cool

The Shop

MCfan4life
10/23/2011 12:47am
pasky411 wrote:
MCFan4life, Ty to get some info on this famous carbon total covering for your air box, it give a great look to the bike!... I was...
MCFan4life,
Ty to get some info on this famous carbon total covering for your air box,
it give a great look to the bike!...
I was amazed myself when i got hold of mine!...
an example:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3Jq-iJCf5-M/Td13LrI_dvI/AAAAAAAAAAc/GzRWZ28ng…
Pasky, I did some research into the carbon airbox on MC's bike. Guess what, it's not made of carbon. The team just ran carbon decals on the airbox. That's what I have on my bike Wink
MCfan4life
10/23/2011 12:49am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2011 12:50am
dogger315 wrote:
Looking at all the great "Mac" replicas got me thinking what would be involved in converting my 93. I have already planned on parking it this...
Looking at all the great "Mac" replicas got me thinking what would be involved in converting my 93.
I have already planned on parking it this year due to parts availability, so I need to decide wether to
bring it back to showroom condition as a 93 or make it into a replica like everybody else is doing.

Looks like all I would need is a set of White fork guards, Black shrouds, Grey airbox, White side panels
and rear fender, 96 hubs (needed for the oversize rotors), repro works triple clamps, Team Honda
graphics and a 97 seat.

dogger
Pat327 wrote:
Are parts for these bikes getting difficult to find? I know that cosmetic parts like seat covers and plastic have been discontinued by Honda, but I...
Are parts for these bikes getting difficult to find? I know that cosmetic parts like seat covers and plastic have been discontinued by Honda, but I thought pretty much everything else was still available.
Pat I've come across very few parts that are discontinued. I have been able to get nearly all parts for my rebuild apart from odd parts like a carby vent hose (I actually did get one from Motosport as they had one in stock even though it was discontinued). I had no problem getting my 97 CR125 OEM seat and my tank.
MCfan4life
10/23/2011 12:52am
pasky411 wrote:
The funny thing is that i bought this bike first to ride it.... just to cleaned it up, rebuilt the engine ad the fgraphics and the...
The funny thing is that i bought this bike first to ride it....
just to cleaned it up, rebuilt the engine ad the fgraphics and the whit back fender.......
And it didnt went to plan...a got into details until finishing to this result...................
No regrets anyway....
And you MCfan?..how did ou decide yourself to start your project?.....
I've always been a MC fan Pasky and have wanted to build this bike for a loooong time.
MCfan4life
10/23/2011 12:56am
CamP wrote:
Speaking of new parts, I just received a new OEM expansion chamber for my '95. Unfortunately it came with a silver dollar sized ding. Thanks FedEx...
Speaking of new parts, I just received a new OEM expansion chamber for my '95. Unfortunately it came with a silver dollar sized ding. Thanks FedEx.

Oh Cam that had to hurt when you saw it!!! Shocked
CamP
10/23/2011 10:07am
MCfan4life wrote:
Oh Cam that had to hurt when you saw it!!! Shocked
It did for a few hours but after a few beers Friday night, I got over it. I ride this bike so it will probably get a few more dings along the way.

Here's the latest with the new tank and pipe.

MCfan4life
10/23/2011 12:11pm
Damn that bike is in sweet condition Cam!

It almost looks new...
CamP
10/23/2011 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2011 1:00pm
MCfan4life wrote:

It almost looks new...
Thanks, MCfan. It's still got the original brake pads on it and based on the wear, I'd estimate that has about 20 hours on it. The original pipe was in good shape until I flattened it a few weeks ago. Doh!
Banana_oil
10/24/2011 1:28pm
MCfan4life wrote:

It almost looks new...
CamP wrote:
Thanks, MCfan. It's still got the original brake pads on it and based on the wear, I'd estimate that has about 20 hours on it. The...
Thanks, MCfan. It's still got the original brake pads on it and based on the wear, I'd estimate that has about 20 hours on it. The original pipe was in good shape until I flattened it a few weeks ago. Doh!
Very good looking bike! So you have bought a 96 seat? Which height is it?
CamP
10/24/2011 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2011 8:10pm
Banana_oil wrote:
Very good looking bike! So you have bought a 96 seat? Which height is it?
Thanks. It looks like you have a nice old CR too!

Yes, that's an optional tall '96 seat. I tried to get a tall '95 seat, but it was back ordered at the time so I put the original 95 seat and plastics in a box and began transforming the bike with new 96 stuff.
WORCSRacer
10/24/2011 9:11pm
What are the + and - of the models 1992 through 1996?
CamP
10/25/2011 1:56pm
WORCSRacer wrote:
What are the + and - of the models 1992 through 1996?
Great power and handling. Poor forks, which are easily replace with modern Twin Chamber Showa's.
barkhard696
10/25/2011 5:52pm
>...which are easily replace with modern Twin Chamber Showa's.

Where on earth did you hear about about something as crazy as that? Sheesh, Cam-- some of the people you knowTongue heh
Oh, and the tall seat's just GOTTA go!

Hey, kidding aside, did you end up revalving the late model 47-mms on your '95? (BTW, that's still EASILY the cleanest '95 I have ever seen.)

Taking some ideas from this blog, I'm going to trade DJ for one of his Jeff DeMint sprockets, and for sure I also want to remove the PC tag from the pipe.

I've got so many projects going on right now, it'll be awhile, but I'll have Emig fab triples for my 47-mm conversions (the '93 and '96) in 2012.

Cam, you were DEAD-ON about the newer forks not working on the '96 lower clamp without being spaced. You can make the spacers out of two layers of cut Coke can -- at least, that's what we did for my '93 and '96 (technically, a '95 replica).
barkhard696
10/25/2011 6:45pm
>What are the + and - of the models 1992 through 1996?

These are the greatest two-strokes ever made. Period, any other debate is foolish. Yeah, I know, that's a big statement to throw out... Let me qualify.

I own 21 dirt bikes, and have ridden just about any two stroke you can name.

I'm currently building an '04 RM 250 with A-Kit suspension and some factory bits; I'm a Suzuki guy to the bone. In fact, until recently I had a lot more RMs than I did Hondas. I believe I can say without being immodest that I have some of the nicer Full Floater-era RMs in Texas. (You can see one of my RMs on CamP's blog on his '82 RM250 build.)

I also have a '98 KX250 that is one of Jeff Emig's old practice bikes with works suspension; I have a Noleen-built, long-rod kitted '94 YZR-jugged YZ250. (That bike will scratch on dry pavement.)

I had an '06 YZ250 (swapped for an '07 CR450F), and I have an '06 KTM 200XC-W with Ohlins team suspension. I have a 1996 RMX250 and have ridden tons of KDX200s. I owned an 01 CR500 until another swap.

Even when compared against more modern two-strokes, the '92-6 CR250 simply cannot be touched in terms of usefulness of power; total ease of maintenance/low cost of ownership; virtual indestructibility; and overall design excellence.

These bikes were single-mindedly made by Honda to dominate any form of MX competition, with not one molecule of compromise nor consideration towards any other purpose.

Any year is good, but the '92-4s are ergonomically smaller and have a smaller front brake. These bikes are absolutely beautiful aesthetically, too... But (as Dogger has mentioned) it's getting tougher to get parts for these years. In particular, most body plastic is only available as aftermarket-- and even that, is getting harder to source.

The '95-6 has updates and refinements to the frame, vastly beefier suspension, bigger front rotor, bigger ergos. You can still find parts for these fairly easily -- this is the closest that anyone came to a "universal" Japanese MX bike.

Honda sold every one of them they could possibly make, they dominated the market then, and these factors also help to explain the parts issue. Plus... people seem to really hold onto these years -- kind of like the first Mustangs.

As Cam P has mentioned, it's pretty easy to back-date later model parts to these bikes, particularly the '95-6.

You can fit a much bigger rear rotor and carrier from the '97-'99 CR250 with some very simple machining, for example.

You can mount the front master cylinder from any CRF from '07-up and get MUCH stronger brakes on the front. You can bolt up the quick adjust clutch lever from the last years of the two strokes, and so on. Even most of the later-model, cut-down, reduced weight fasteners from the CRFs can be used on these bikes.

But the biggest improvement you can make to the '95-6 is to mount a set of later-model CRF250 Twin Camber forks. This is MUCH easier to do on the these years than the '92-4.

Arguably, stock, the '92-4 handled better and were easier to flick around. But the 96, in particular, strikes a good balance, stock, of a *killer* engine, finely matched to a chassis that can take the power-- with good, but not too aggressive handling.

It's an incredible bike-- if I had to sell all my bikes except one, I'd keep my '96. Again, I'm writing this as a life-long Suzuki guy, FWIW.
CamP
10/25/2011 7:29pm
>...which are easily replace with modern Twin Chamber Showa's. Where on earth did you hear about about something as crazy as that? Sheesh, Cam-- some of...
>...which are easily replace with modern Twin Chamber Showa's.

Where on earth did you hear about about something as crazy as that? Sheesh, Cam-- some of the people you knowTongue heh
Oh, and the tall seat's just GOTTA go!

Hey, kidding aside, did you end up revalving the late model 47-mms on your '95? (BTW, that's still EASILY the cleanest '95 I have ever seen.)

Taking some ideas from this blog, I'm going to trade DJ for one of his Jeff DeMint sprockets, and for sure I also want to remove the PC tag from the pipe.

I've got so many projects going on right now, it'll be awhile, but I'll have Emig fab triples for my 47-mm conversions (the '93 and '96) in 2012.

Cam, you were DEAD-ON about the newer forks not working on the '96 lower clamp without being spaced. You can make the spacers out of two layers of cut Coke can -- at least, that's what we did for my '93 and '96 (technically, a '95 replica).
James, your bikes are looking great!

I left the '08 CRF450 fork valving stock and removed 20cc of oil from the out chambers. I re-valved the shock to balance with the CRF forks by added 3 more shims to the HS compression stack and using 7.5wt oil to slightly stiffen everything. I ended up with something very balanced and it really works as well as any modern bike I've ridden. I actually like like riding it more than my '08 CRF450.

BTW, at 5'-18", I'm forced to run tall seats. What's interesting is that even with the optional tall seat, the 95-96's peg to seat distance is still 1/2" shorter than a stock CRF450. The 95-96 bar position is also much further back than a CRF so I use a top clamp that allows me to position the bars on the centerline of the forks. This makes the bike really feel more modern.
barkhard696
10/25/2011 8:55pm
>I actually like like riding it more than my '08 CRF450.

Cam, that's what EVERYONE I know says about their two strokes. The 4t are fast, modern, trick, etc... But for pure fun, it's just about impossible to top a well setup 2t. My '96 is a riot...

The '07 CRF is certainly faster, amazingly capable -- all true, absolutely. But it's just not as involving. I much more enjoy the "shot out of a cannon" feeling of the CR, versus the "squeezed from a tube" on the CRF.

>The 95-96 bar position is also much further back than a CRF so I use a top clamp that allows me to position the bars on the centerline of the forks.

Dude, Cam, I'm an architect by education and I work in a technical field but you are BY FAR the most technical minded of the posters except for maybe Dogger. I really do believe that you actually measured the seat-to-footpeg distance... Which is totally next level.

When I have the triples made, I'll have to consult with you as to your recommendation on the handlebar placement!
notme
10/25/2011 9:11pm
Best thread ever! Thanks for all the info, im stoked to rebuild the 95' I picked up.
Im parting out a 91, can the rear wheel work on the 95? Are there any other parts from the 91 worth keeping as spares for my 95, such as coil,cdi, carb ect?
thanks
WORCSRacer
10/25/2011 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2011 8:48am
>What are the + and - of the models 1992 through 1996? These are the greatest two-strokes ever made. Period, any other debate is foolish. Yeah...
>What are the + and - of the models 1992 through 1996?

These are the greatest two-strokes ever made. Period, any other debate is foolish. Yeah, I know, that's a big statement to throw out... Let me qualify.

I own 21 dirt bikes, and have ridden just about any two stroke you can name.

I'm currently building an '04 RM 250 with A-Kit suspension and some factory bits; I'm a Suzuki guy to the bone. In fact, until recently I had a lot more RMs than I did Hondas. I believe I can say without being immodest that I have some of the nicer Full Floater-era RMs in Texas. (You can see one of my RMs on CamP's blog on his '82 RM250 build.)

I also have a '98 KX250 that is one of Jeff Emig's old practice bikes with works suspension; I have a Noleen-built, long-rod kitted '94 YZR-jugged YZ250. (That bike will scratch on dry pavement.)

I had an '06 YZ250 (swapped for an '07 CR450F), and I have an '06 KTM 200XC-W with Ohlins team suspension. I have a 1996 RMX250 and have ridden tons of KDX200s. I owned an 01 CR500 until another swap.

Even when compared against more modern two-strokes, the '92-6 CR250 simply cannot be touched in terms of usefulness of power; total ease of maintenance/low cost of ownership; virtual indestructibility; and overall design excellence.

These bikes were single-mindedly made by Honda to dominate any form of MX competition, with not one molecule of compromise nor consideration towards any other purpose.

Any year is good, but the '92-4s are ergonomically smaller and have a smaller front brake. These bikes are absolutely beautiful aesthetically, too... But (as Dogger has mentioned) it's getting tougher to get parts for these years. In particular, most body plastic is only available as aftermarket-- and even that, is getting harder to source.

The '95-6 has updates and refinements to the frame, vastly beefier suspension, bigger front rotor, bigger ergos. You can still find parts for these fairly easily -- this is the closest that anyone came to a "universal" Japanese MX bike.

Honda sold every one of them they could possibly make, they dominated the market then, and these factors also help to explain the parts issue. Plus... people seem to really hold onto these years -- kind of like the first Mustangs.

As Cam P has mentioned, it's pretty easy to back-date later model parts to these bikes, particularly the '95-6.

You can fit a much bigger rear rotor and carrier from the '97-'99 CR250 with some very simple machining, for example.

You can mount the front master cylinder from any CRF from '07-up and get MUCH stronger brakes on the front. You can bolt up the quick adjust clutch lever from the last years of the two strokes, and so on. Even most of the later-model, cut-down, reduced weight fasteners from the CRFs can be used on these bikes.

But the biggest improvement you can make to the '95-6 is to mount a set of later-model CRF250 Twin Camber forks. This is MUCH easier to do on the these years than the '92-4.

Arguably, stock, the '92-4 handled better and were easier to flick around. But the 96, in particular, strikes a good balance, stock, of a *killer* engine, finely matched to a chassis that can take the power-- with good, but not too aggressive handling.

It's an incredible bike-- if I had to sell all my bikes except one, I'd keep my '96. Again, I'm writing this as a life-long Suzuki guy, FWIW.
Here's where I am... I am totally stuck on getting one of these bikes. I am not opposed to buying more than one... I want to have one to ride just for the joy of riding one and I'm planning to race it at the two stroke Nats in the spring!
Found a roached but complete and running 92. Needs to be framed to be cleaned greased ect. Needs a new rear fender, side panels shrouds and front number plate. Tank is decent. Things I don't like are 43mm forks, solid bar mounts that only will accomidate 7/8 bars, tiny footpegs, shitty front brake and a crappy ceet seat cover.

Thoughts?
ga_pike
10/26/2011 6:16am
Ok... I have a question. What's with the "Footjoy" decal on the right radiator shroud?

Do you guys see what I'm talking about? The "FJ" logo. Footjoy is a golf shoe company. I think I remember this logo being on the bikes, but at the time I wasn't a golfer so I didn't know.

Enlighten me please.
pasky411
10/26/2011 7:21am
ga_pike wrote:
Ok... I have a question. What's with the "Footjoy" decal on the right radiator shroud? [img]https://leisurelinkgolf.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/footjoy.jpg[/img] Do you guys see what I'm talking about? The "FJ"...
Ok... I have a question. What's with the "Footjoy" decal on the right radiator shroud?

Do you guys see what I'm talking about? The "FJ" logo. Footjoy is a golf shoe company. I think I remember this logo being on the bikes, but at the time I wasn't a golfer so I didn't know.

Enlighten me please.
It's the brand FLU Design.
www.fludesigns.com
ga_pike
10/26/2011 7:28am
Interesting... I wonder if they have agreed to something about the logo. I know Footjoy has that logo registered and it has been for a long, long time.
CamP
10/26/2011 7:53am
>I actually like like riding it more than my '08 CRF450. Cam, that's what EVERYONE I know says about their two strokes. The 4t are fast...
>I actually like like riding it more than my '08 CRF450.

Cam, that's what EVERYONE I know says about their two strokes. The 4t are fast, modern, trick, etc... But for pure fun, it's just about impossible to top a well setup 2t. My '96 is a riot...

The '07 CRF is certainly faster, amazingly capable -- all true, absolutely. But it's just not as involving. I much more enjoy the "shot out of a cannon" feeling of the CR, versus the "squeezed from a tube" on the CRF.

>The 95-96 bar position is also much further back than a CRF so I use a top clamp that allows me to position the bars on the centerline of the forks.

Dude, Cam, I'm an architect by education and I work in a technical field but you are BY FAR the most technical minded of the posters except for maybe Dogger. I really do believe that you actually measured the seat-to-footpeg distance... Which is totally next level.

When I have the triples made, I'll have to consult with you as to your recommendation on the handlebar placement!
Yeah, I always measure the triangle formed by the footpegs, bars and valley of the seat for all my bikes. This allows me to make modifications to each bike so that they all feel the same when I ride them. The older bikes usually have a much more compact cockpit because they always have a lot more rake with a similar wheelbase, which positions the bars further back when compared to a modern bike's geometry. On my '82 RM250, I had to fabricate an aluminum plate to extend the bar mounts up and forward. It looks a little odd, but it actually works great with the final position of the bars directly over the centerline of the forks. This allows me to ride it with a more modern "attack position" and greatly improves my ability to transition from sitting to standing.

WORCSRacer
10/26/2011 8:56am
CamP wrote:
Yeah, I always measure the triangle formed by the footpegs, bars and valley of the seat for all my bikes. This allows me to make modifications...
Yeah, I always measure the triangle formed by the footpegs, bars and valley of the seat for all my bikes. This allows me to make modifications to each bike so that they all feel the same when I ride them. The older bikes usually have a much more compact cockpit because they always have a lot more rake with a similar wheelbase, which positions the bars further back when compared to a modern bike's geometry. On my '82 RM250, I had to fabricate an aluminum plate to extend the bar mounts up and forward. It looks a little odd, but it actually works great with the final position of the bars directly over the centerline of the forks. This allows me to ride it with a more modern "attack position" and greatly improves my ability to transition from sitting to standing.

CamP Can you post a side view of that set up?

On the 92 CR is it feasible or practical to cut off the existing bar mounts, then bore new holes (moved forward) and then use a Renthal bar mounts?
CamP
10/26/2011 9:20am
WORCSRacer wrote:
CamP Can you post a side view of that set up? On the 92 CR is it feasible or practical to cut off the existing bar...
CamP Can you post a side view of that set up?

On the 92 CR is it feasible or practical to cut off the existing bar mounts, then bore new holes (moved forward) and then use a Renthal bar mounts?
I don't think that the top clamp can be modified like that, but it may be worth a try.

Here's a side view of the plate I'm using on the RM.

WORCSRacer
10/26/2011 9:38am
CamP wrote:
I don't think that the top clamp can be modified like that, but it may be worth a try. Here's a side view of the plate...
I don't think that the top clamp can be modified like that, but it may be worth a try.

Here's a side view of the plate I'm using on the RM.

Nice! How is that mounted to the stock clamps?
CamP
10/26/2011 9:52am
WORCSRacer wrote:
Nice! How is that mounted to the stock clamps?
The stock bar mounts are rubber mounted. I left the rubber in the top clamp and replaced the long bolts in the bar perches with shorter bolts that were the proper length for the aluminum plate.

Post a reply to: 1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

The Latest