1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

MCfan4life
7/20/2011 5:24am
LukeCRF450 wrote:
Noice ! Hey MC, new radiators there or did they also receive a refurbish. Are you sodablasting everything, is that the secret? Dogger is going to...
Noice !

Hey MC, new radiators there or did they also receive a refurbish. Are you sodablasting everything, is that the secret?

Dogger is going to have some serious competition in the 'meticulous attention to detail stakes'. Keep rocking on, my budget build is coming along ever so slowly at the moment. Got a friend going over and replacing all my bearings (i just dont have the time at the moment to do it myself. )
Thanks.

The radiators are not new no. They were really straight when I bought the bike. I just painted them with hi-temp aluminium and they came up a treat.

A lot of stuff was sodablasted. Look back through the thread for pics. I got the motor, swingarm, carby and other misc bits done. It works pretty good actually.

My motor has nothing on Dogger's. His motor is a work of art...
7/23/2011 7:20am
the radiators came up really good, i hadnt considered hi-temp paint on mine. they are very banged up but serviceable.

do you know any methods to bring a stock pipe up to scratch? mine is okay, but i was considering some hi-temp paint until i can afford a full PC system.
MCfan4life
8/16/2011 11:44pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2011 12:07am
OK guys some minor updates while I'm waiting for more parts to arrive. The wheels have been built for a while but I just got around to bolting up the sprocket and discs. I'm still waiting on the sprocket side seal but that's it.

Before:

The wheels were completely stripped, bearings removed, hubs blasted and then turned in a lathe to remove the cast marks:

Hubs were painted satin black and wheels were re-assembled with new bearings and seals, new s/steel spokes and new OEM rims I had left over from an 07 CR250. Other new parts include sprocket bolts and nuts and aftermarket (OEM replica) discs:

Sprocket is a slightly used Renthal sprocket the same style as what MC used in 96. I honestly didn't think I would ever find one of these but luckily DJ sold me one he had. Thanks mate. It cleaned up real good with some fine wet'n'dry:
MCfan4life
8/17/2011 12:21am
My works pipe!!!

Well almost. It's a PC works pipe with the badge removed. This was another purchase off DJ and it was in almost new condition. It had a couple of minor dents in it which I had removed and I cleaned it up with a combination of Brasso metal cleaner and also wet'n'dry. It came up pretty good I reckon.

The Shop

8/17/2011 4:44am
great progress on the bike!

is the renthal chainwheel steel or al? it certainly looks the goods. how did you go getting s/s spokes- were they made up or a/market jobs, and did you lace and true yourself? those hubs turned out really nice, great job.
MCfan4life
8/17/2011 8:12am
LukeCRF450 wrote:
great progress on the bike! is the renthal chainwheel steel or al? it certainly looks the goods. how did you go getting s/s spokes- were they...

is the renthal chainwheel steel or al? it certainly looks the goods. how did you go getting s/s spokes- were they made up or a/market jobs, and did you lace and true yourself? those hubs turned out really nice, great job.
Renthal sprocket is alloy. You didn't really think factory Honda would run steel sprockets did you?

S/Steel spokes were quite easy to get. John Titman Racing makes them in Oz. Excellent quality and excellent service from JTR. JTR can make spokes for just about ANYTHING but mine were quite common - straight off the shelf.

I got a mate/mechanic to lace them for me. He works at my local dealership and does work on the side. He has excellent attention to detail and takes pride in his work - that's why I choose to have him do it from home rather than some trainee at the shop do it.

Thanks for the kind words. Many hours and hard work have gone in to this so far...
sgthubbard#60
8/17/2011 8:41am
MCfan,

Fantastic job on your bike so far! Keep up the good work. I just built a set of wheels for my 94 CR250 the same way, turned all the casting marks off, powdered them satin black and laced them up with Excel rims and spokes. It really made a big difference in the bikes appearance. Now I just need to spring for the HRC engine covers, I have a set on one of my 500's and there top notch! Great work, keep us posted!
nine1seven
8/17/2011 11:03am
Very nice job, Col!

I know a lot of people tell stories, but those parts were leftovers from Jeff Dement's 96 season. Jeff is from the Houston area, and I was able to buy boxes of parts really cheap awhile back including plastic that still had his name and national number on them. I used a lot of those parts on my 96. It was a killer deal and most of it was brand new or only used once like the sprocket you have. It's cool to think that the pipe and sprocket I sent you was probably on a Supercross track with Jeremy! I think Jeff still does MX schools and lessons but I'm not sure.
CamP
8/17/2011 12:02pm
nine1seven wrote:
Very nice job, Col! I know a lot of people tell stories, but those parts were leftovers from Jeff Dement's 96 season. Jeff is from the...
Very nice job, Col!

I know a lot of people tell stories, but those parts were leftovers from Jeff Dement's 96 season. Jeff is from the Houston area, and I was able to buy boxes of parts really cheap awhile back including plastic that still had his name and national number on them. I used a lot of those parts on my 96. It was a killer deal and most of it was brand new or only used once like the sprocket you have. It's cool to think that the pipe and sprocket I sent you was probably on a Supercross track with Jeremy! I think Jeff still does MX schools and lessons but I'm not sure.
That's cool. I was hired to wrench for Jeff for the '09 SX season, but he broke his elbow in practice before the season even started and that was it. He is back in Houston doing schools and working as a trainer.
CamP
8/17/2011 12:13pm
MCfan4life, your bike is turning out beautifully.

I've been working my butt off lately so I decided to treat myself to some Lightspeed Ti footpegs for my 95'er. UPS just delivered them today.

8/17/2011 9:08pm
LukeCRF450 wrote:
great progress on the bike! is the renthal chainwheel steel or al? it certainly looks the goods. how did you go getting s/s spokes- were they...

MCfan4life wrote:
Renthal sprocket is alloy. You didn't really think factory Honda would run steel sprockets did you? S/Steel spokes were quite easy to get. John Titman Racing...
Renthal sprocket is alloy. You didn't really think factory Honda would run steel sprockets did you?

S/Steel spokes were quite easy to get. John Titman Racing makes them in Oz. Excellent quality and excellent service from JTR. JTR can make spokes for just about ANYTHING but mine were quite common - straight off the shelf.

I got a mate/mechanic to lace them for me. He works at my local dealership and does work on the side. He has excellent attention to detail and takes pride in his work - that's why I choose to have him do it from home rather than some trainee at the shop do it.

Thanks for the kind words. Many hours and hard work have gone in to this so far...
sorry guy, i didnt realise they were from the factory.
Good score on the spkes and lacing, its like havving a friend who is a plumber or sparky- so important when you need some work done Wink
8/17/2011 9:09pm
CamP wrote:
MCfan4life, your bike is turning out beautifully. I've been working my butt off lately so I decided to treat myself to some Lightspeed Ti footpegs for...
MCfan4life, your bike is turning out beautifully.

I've been working my butt off lately so I decided to treat myself to some Lightspeed Ti footpegs for my 95'er. UPS just delivered them today.

Look at the size of those things- they should be called sideboards!
nice pegs, are they available to the public CamP?
CamP
8/18/2011 8:08am
LukeCRF450 wrote:
Big 57mm pegs for my big feet! Yes, Lightspeed still makes them for the 95-99 CR's. They normally run $229, which is way too steep for me, but there is a guy on ebay with 3 more sets and he took my $120 offer. He also has the steel version for much less money.
MCfan4life
8/19/2011 12:26pm
LukeCRF450 wrote:
CamP wrote:
Big 57mm pegs for my big feet! Yes, Lightspeed still makes them for the 95-99 CR's. They normally run $229, which is way too steep for...
Big 57mm pegs for my big feet! Yes, Lightspeed still makes them for the 95-99 CR's. They normally run $229, which is way too steep for me, but there is a guy on ebay with 3 more sets and he took my $120 offer. He also has the steel version for much less money.
Thanks Cam you just cost me more money Tongue

I just purchased a set of the steel pegs off the guy for $70!! I have a set of Pro Circuit pegs on the bike now but they are not oversize and they don't seem to sit very well on the bike. I would have sprung for the Ti pegs but I gotta keep with MC's look so I went with the black ones. I don't think I could bring myself to paint those works of art black... Laughing
CamP
8/19/2011 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2011 12:53pm
MCfan4life wrote:
Thanks Cam you just cost me more money :P I just purchased a set of the steel pegs off the guy for $70!! I have a...
Thanks Cam you just cost me more money Tongue

I just purchased a set of the steel pegs off the guy for $70!! I have a set of Pro Circuit pegs on the bike now but they are not oversize and they don't seem to sit very well on the bike. I would have sprung for the Ti pegs but I gotta keep with MC's look so I went with the black ones. I don't think I could bring myself to paint those works of art black... Laughing
I couldn't paint them either. As in turns out, the Lightspeed's measure 5mm lower and 10mm further back than the stock pegs. This is a huge bonus for me as these old CR's are more compact compared to modern bikes and I'm too tall.
MCfan4life
9/13/2011 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2011 10:07pm
Woohoo another box full of parts just arrived WoohooWoohooWoohoo Thanks DJ

I got my Emig Racing custom triple clamps, rear shock spring, Light Speed pegs, Renthal old school nylon bar pad, FMF silencer and some misc parts.

I've installed the clamps and they are a perfect fit. Super happy with the service from Emig Racing. They are an awesome company to deal with. The only change I want to make is to swap the allen head bolts that they supply with the clamps for hex head bolts.

9/14/2011 5:38am
insane! keep it going its really taking shape now that the forks are on.
are the Emig clamps solid mounts?
CamP
9/14/2011 7:09am
The Triple clamps are sweet! Did Emig custom make the lower clamp to accept the Twin chamber forks and still work with the steel frame steering stops?
SwapperMX
9/14/2011 10:30am
Man this thing is going to be unreal. Haven't been following it, but just read the whole thread. Awesome. I had always thought about doing something like this, and this is exactly how I would have done it. Spot on. How much trouble did you have finding those bar pads?? I reckon I have got a couple of those in the shed. Definitely keeping them now !!
MCfan4life
9/14/2011 8:16pm
The bar mounts bolt to the top clamp but are not rubber mounted. I'll take a close up pic soon to better explain it.
MCfan4life
9/14/2011 8:19pm
CamP wrote:
The Triple clamps are sweet! Did Emig custom make the lower clamp to accept the Twin chamber forks and still work with the steel frame steering...
The Triple clamps are sweet! Did Emig custom make the lower clamp to accept the Twin chamber forks and still work with the steel frame steering stops?
Thanks Cam.

I basically told Gary Emig what I wanted and he made it. They are pretty much just 96 clamps but with bigger diameter holes for the twin chamber forks. Everything else about the clamps are per 96 specs.
MCfan4life
9/14/2011 8:23pm
SwapperMX wrote:
Man this thing is going to be unreal. Haven't been following it, but just read the whole thread. Awesome. I had always thought about doing something...
Man this thing is going to be unreal. Haven't been following it, but just read the whole thread. Awesome. I had always thought about doing something like this, and this is exactly how I would have done it. Spot on. How much trouble did you have finding those bar pads?? I reckon I have got a couple of those in the shed. Definitely keeping them now !!
Thanks Swapper.

You know I didn't think I'd find one of those old school bar pads but it was probably the best buy so far. Picked it up on eBay for $8 + $3 shipping! I've got a set of silver Renthal bars but they are the new silver, which is like a matt finish, not a shiny silver like they were back in the 90's. I'd like to get a set of those!
MCfan4life
9/19/2011 10:38pm
MCfan4life wrote:
The bar mounts bolt to the top clamp but are not rubber mounted. I'll take a close up pic soon to better explain it.
MCfan4life
9/20/2011 4:47am
The rear shock is rebuilt and back in the bike.

It was stripped to a basic shock assembly (removed spring, collars, etc) and was soda blasted. New parts include genuine spring (yellow to match MC's), clicker adjuster (only because the anodosing on the old one was faded) and bump rubber. The locking nuts for the spring and other steel parts were sent to the zinc platers with the other bolts.

Before:

After:

A really keen eye will see that I used the nut off the bottom bolt on the top bolt by mistake. It's been fixed since the photos were taken Wink
MCfan4life
9/20/2011 4:57am
Airbox and new Twin Air filter installed. Carbon airbox decals were installed on the first rebuild.

I always thought the factory Honda's ran carbon fibre airbox's but they only ran carbon decals!

MCfan4life
9/20/2011 5:00am
Rear guard, l/h side plate and rear wheel sitting on the bike.

MCfan4life
9/20/2011 5:07am
It's finished!!! Woohoo

Just kidding Laughing

I just sat the tank and seat on for this mock-up. I still have a long way to go. Still have to do all the controls, bleed the brakes, chain, new front brake caliper carrier, etc, etc.

Well I'm off on a 12 day holiday with my kids tomorrow guys so I'll be back with more updates in a couple of weeks Smile

9/20/2011 7:39am
hmmmm....awesome and inspiring- I'm off to the garage again, parenting be damned.
Erik2T
9/21/2011 2:15pm
Hi MCfan4life,

congratulation for your bike! Very very Nice!

Can you tell me where I can buy the stickers replica McGrath and the seat cover?!
Has long been looking for them but I have not found anything...

Thanks a lot.

Enrico
MCfan4life
9/21/2011 4:44pm
Erik2T wrote:
Hi MCfan4life, congratulation for your bike! Very very Nice! Can you tell me where I can buy the stickers replica McGrath and the seat cover?! Has...
Hi MCfan4life,

congratulation for your bike! Very very Nice!

Can you tell me where I can buy the stickers replica McGrath and the seat cover?!
Has long been looking for them but I have not found anything...

Thanks a lot.

Enrico
Thanks mate.

The seat is a complete seat off a 97 CR125. It bolts right on and is the same design they used on the 96 team bikes. You cannot by a seat cover from Honda with the writing on it, only a complete seat. Genuine Honda seat covers are blank for some strange reason...

Any reputable graphics company should be able to duplicate the graphics from images as long as they have 96 shape plastic outlines. Somebody I knew had these:

The Dunlop logos on the rear fender and fork guards were only done as an outline very early in the season. After a few races they changed them to solid Dunlop logo's Wink

I also purchased a set of FX tank/shroud decals (which I later sold) and sent those to the graphics company so they had a good outline to use because they were a new company and didn't have 96 outlines. I also sent them a rear guard. They did the rest.

I used Kustom MX in Australia

Post a reply to: 1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

The Latest