1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

MCfan4life
6/14/2011 1:51am
Small update.

I have been working a little bit here and there on getting the motor done. Here is a mock up of the r/h side engine covers.

I have ordered the HRC replica ignition cover and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Hopefully once I get the bottom end back together, updates will be more regular.
Sunhouse
6/14/2011 12:00pm
Are you using a 96 frame? MC used a 93 frame on his 96 bike, but I guess it would take quite a lot of work to do...?
MCfan4life
6/14/2011 5:32pm
Sunhouse wrote:
Are you using a 96 frame? MC used a 93 frame on his 96 bike, but I guess it would take quite a lot of work...
Are you using a 96 frame? MC used a 93 frame on his 96 bike, but I guess it would take quite a lot of work to do...?
No I'm using the 96 frame. Visually they look the same. It wouldn't be a lot of work to use a 93 frame, the only difficulty would be tracking down a good 93 frame and having it powdercoated (refer page 1).

The effort to do that wouldn't be worth it in my opinion as visually it would be the same.
Sunhouse
6/16/2011 12:52pm
Sunhouse wrote:
Are you using a 96 frame? MC used a 93 frame on his 96 bike, but I guess it would take quite a lot of work...
MCfan4life wrote:
No I'm using the 96 frame. Visually they look the same. It wouldn't be a lot of work to use a 93 frame, the only difficulty...
No I'm using the 96 frame. Visually they look the same. It wouldn't be a lot of work to use a 93 frame, the only difficulty would be tracking down a good 93 frame and having it powdercoated (refer page 1).

The effort to do that wouldn't be worth it in my opinion as visually it would be the same.
Yeah, I was just wondering. It´s a really cool project you got there, I´ll be following it closely Smile

The Shop

MCfan4life
6/30/2011 12:29am
OK guys it's been sloooow progress with the cases and engine covers but it's starting to take shape. I decided to paint the engine cases (aluminium colour). I really didn't want to but I just couldn't get them as clean as I wanted. I also decided to paint the HRC replica Clutch and Ignition covers in a Hammertone dark grey colour, then filed the paint off the lettering. I also had all the hardware re-zinc plated too (Including engine studs and gear selector shaft)

reded
6/30/2011 8:25am
Wow, that's a beauty! I've been following this thread and eagerly awaiting your progress pics as the '96 McGrath bike was my favorite of all time.
jtracing6
6/30/2011 3:06pm
Mmmm, I think you should have stayed with the natural coloured clutch and ignition covers.
If you are trying to make them look like magnesium, I've soaked parts in "oxyclean" ( the stuff to make your whites whiter than white, ask your wife) overnight and it comes out with a greyish/brownish/greenish colour. I did it with my 86 CR lower fork legs and they came out looking like factory forks. Can't guarantee they wont fall apart but all my parts were ok. it does look trick. I had to try several brands.
I'd love to include a photo but I find it so difficult. I guess I'm too old school?
MCfan4life
6/30/2011 3:36pm
jtracing6 wrote:
Mmmm, I think you should have stayed with the natural coloured clutch and ignition covers. If you are trying to make them look like magnesium, I've...
Mmmm, I think you should have stayed with the natural coloured clutch and ignition covers.
If you are trying to make them look like magnesium, I've soaked parts in "oxyclean" ( the stuff to make your whites whiter than white, ask your wife) overnight and it comes out with a greyish/brownish/greenish colour. I did it with my 86 CR lower fork legs and they came out looking like factory forks. Can't guarantee they wont fall apart but all my parts were ok. it does look trick. I had to try several brands.
I'd love to include a photo but I find it so difficult. I guess I'm too old school?
Thanks JT. I wasn't trying to make them look like magnesium though. That was just going to be too difficult. I just didn't want them to be the aluminium colour that they were when I bought them (see the mock-up I did a few posts up) so I figured this would be the next best thing. I'll re-assess it once the engine is complete and in the frame. It's no biggie to remove the outer covers and re-do them Smile

I'll send you a pm soon regarding posting pics too Wink
Stoop
Fantasy
767th
7/1/2011 2:47am
looking good MC, are you throwing a new top end in it, or just putting the old piston back in since it wont be ridden again? just curious
MCfan4life
7/1/2011 4:35am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2011 4:36am
Stoop wrote:
looking good MC, are you throwing a new top end in it, or just putting the old piston back in since it wont be ridden again...
looking good MC, are you throwing a new top end in it, or just putting the old piston back in since it wont be ridden again? just curious
It's got a new Wossner top end waiting to go into it in the next day or two. Will post pics when I'm doing it Wink

It doesn't need it as it won't be ridden again but I just didn't feel right rebuilding it with an old piston and rings...
MCfan4life
7/1/2011 9:04pm
R/H side of the motor showing the HRC replica clutch cover.

Wossner piston now installed (it's been a while since I did a rebuild and I forgot how much of a bitch those circlips are to get in...Angry )

jps
7/3/2011 2:48am
MCfan4life wrote:
R/H side of the motor showing the HRC replica clutch cover. [img]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/588/dsc02276b.jpg[/img] [img]http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1928/dsc02278z.jpg[/img] Wossner piston now installed (it's been a while since I did a rebuild...
R/H side of the motor showing the HRC replica clutch cover.

Wossner piston now installed (it's been a while since I did a rebuild and I forgot how much of a bitch those circlips are to get in...Angry )

WoohooWoohooWoohoo

very good job !
is it a powder paint ? or a classic paint like body car ?

jps

excuse my english and visit my blog www.crosscollection.unblog.fr
MCfan4life
7/5/2011 4:45am
No not powder coated. Refer page 1 for powder coating experience!
jps
7/10/2011 2:03am
Hi
This one was very nice

but yours is the oversize

Woohoo jps Woohoo
nine1seven
7/10/2011 9:20am
Very nice job Col! I like the Ignition and clutch covers painted like that. Looks just like the factory Mg covers. I also like how you spent the time splitting the cases instead of just painting over the gaskets, seals, etc. It's that kind of attention to detail that you notice in the end.

I may try that oxy clean trick JT mentioned!
nine1seven
7/10/2011 9:22am
wfoyz250 wrote:
hey 917....were you out at Rio this past Saturday?
Sorry I didn't catch your post wfoyz. I'll look for your number at the next evo race!
MCfan4life
7/17/2011 1:14am
OK I've received my parcel from DJ (nine1seven) WoohooWoohoo

It contained a PC works pipe, OEM service manual, slightly used old school 'period correct' Renthal sprocket and a bunch of OEM parts. A HUGE thanks to DJ in getting it all together for me and sending it. I owe you a few quiet ones mate Wink

I plan on getting the 2 small dents in the pipe removed along with the PC badge so, hopefully, it should look like a true works pipe Smile
MCfan4life
7/17/2011 1:19am
My mate Jake (Moto619) came around today and we got the engine in the frame and the top end on. Thanks for your help bro!

MCfan4life
7/17/2011 1:36am
The carby was Soda Blasted a little while ago along with the motor and other parts.

I used all new OEM hoses (1 of which was discontinued but surprisingly Motosport had it in stock). I went to the trouble of even getting the float bowl screws and hose guides re-zinced with the other hardware. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Just a mock-up
MCfan4life
7/17/2011 2:05am
Misc bits and pieces installed. Electrics, tank straps, etc.

MCfan4life
7/18/2011 3:49am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2011 3:50am
Put the footpegs and swingarm on today. Footpegs are Pro Circuit. Here's some before shots of what the swingarm looked like

These plates were removed and sent to the zinc platers with the hardware.

and after...

Rear axle was re-zinced. Chain guide and rubber block are new OEM parts. Axle blocks are new OEM parts also. Chain slider, washers and screws were all new OEM parts on the first rebuild.
nine1seven
7/18/2011 11:54am
Nice job man! Looks clean. Kinda cool how one day I'm boxing up parts and a couple days later I'm looking at them on your bike on the other side of the world!
MCfan4life
7/18/2011 7:05pm
I've just ordered a set of custom Billet triple clamps from Emig Racing.

Gary Emig was awesome to deal with. Super helpful, freindly and fast in his email responses. It's sometimes frustrating dealing with companies in the USA due to the time differences. You usually send an email and wait a day or days for a reply and then if you have to reply, you wait another day for them to reply, etc and it drags on for days. Gary and I just emailed back and forth about 4 times within an hour.

He is making a set of billet clamps to look just like MC's works clamps but to fit the 04 forks. He even agreed to not engrave them with Emig Racing to make them look more authentic. Not cheap at $690 (includes bottom clamp, top clamp, stem and 7/8 bar mounts with 1 piece top bar clamp) but I'm happy to pay for quality. The old saying rings true, you get what you pay for!
MCfan4life
7/19/2011 6:13am
Installed the rear brakes today. A 'before' shot when I bought the bike

and after...

New parts include rear pedal and rear brake line. Nearly all other parts were 'refurbished'!

7/20/2011 3:21am
Noice !

Hey MC, new radiators there or did they also receive a refurbish. Are you sodablasting everything, is that the secret?

Dogger is going to have some serious competition in the 'meticulous attention to detail stakes'. Keep rocking on, my budget build is coming along ever so slowly at the moment. Got a friend going over and replacing all my bearings (i just dont have the time at the moment to do it myself. )

Post a reply to: 1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

The Latest