1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

JIM77
11/3/2012 3:38pm
JIM77 wrote:
David is a thief mate. Long Story short, I was supposed to buy his parts, he took my money, gave me the run around long enough...
David is a thief mate. Long Story short, I was supposed to buy his parts, he took my money, gave me the run around long enough to clear the funds from Paypal and basically disappeared.

I doubt you will get a response.
CamP wrote:
Sorry to hear that. He seemed like a squirrel from post #1. If he didn't live on the other side of the state, I'd have a...
Sorry to hear that. He seemed like a squirrel from post #1. If he didn't live on the other side of the state, I'd have a face to face talk to him for you.
thanks Anyway, its all good though, Paypal gave me my money back. Should have smelt a rat, when he asked if I could put it down as a Gift to save fees. I'm smarter than that though and gave him an extra $10 to cover the fees, live and learn I suppose.

Your right though, when I think about it, he only joined to try and sell parts initially anyway.
WERNER1
11/3/2012 8:17pm
awe bummer man!,.. really sucks when you think your getting some stuff that you really wanted and the guy wigg's out on ya Sad .. Still waiting on a set of Fox 360 pants to show up from NewJersey on a similar deal... Grrrrrrrrr Sad
jtracing6
11/4/2012 2:00am
Are you talking about David Rivera on here earlier? If so I had a carb from him no problem sent all the way to Spain. I have no complaints.
barkhard696
11/17/2012 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2012 6:25pm
>Using the complete 99 set up there will need to be that approx. 3/8" taken up some where such as below/above the bearings (3/16th on each end,.. or all one one side..which ever) - I think this is do-able..

Werner1, DJ and I did the '08 TC conversion on my '93 (the bike in my avatar). You can see more pictures of it on AllThingsMoto site under Dogger's 1993 project, "1993 CR250 Build Finally Completed." There's a lot of cross-over with what we're doing here with that blog, and also Dogger has some excellent tech that applies to all our steelies:

http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-235/1993-honda-cr250-build-finall…

To do this conversion we used a shimmed '96 lower with an '01 upper (the front numberplate hole on the '00 and '01 top clamp works perfectly with the PlasticWerks numberplate -- as an added plus you get rubber bar mounts).

We just used two spare steering stem crown nuts to get the extra 3/8" spacing. We reamed out the threads on the inside of the crown nuts with a die grinder and viola -- cheap and easy spacers. These we put under the top clamp.

Having done this "cheap" really the best way on the 93 TC conversion would be to have Emig make a set of clamps specific to the swap. Emig has already has the CNC program for the '95-'96 stem, but the '93-'94 would require new custom clamps, given the different clamp/stem length.

You'd have to send Emig a set of the '93 clamps for him to use as a "go by" to make adjustments to the CNC '95-'96 clamp program. The end result I think would be a kind of "gull-wing" lower -- quite a bit different than the '95-'96 clamps. This is my plan when I have the extra funds. I do have Emig's '96 customs -- and they are amazing. You get what you pay for.

...End of hijack...

The Shop

barkhard696
11/20/2012 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2012 6:18pm
Apologies for the double-post.
WERNER1
11/20/2012 7:41pm
Hey Barkhard!,.. Yeah Dogger is the "The Man" when it comes to all things Steelie! haha! ,.. he's been overly kind to me in passing along his knowledge of these bikes that's for sure! THANKS DOGGER!!!!

Emig Clamps: I believe that the "McGrath Works" ones that they offer and have in stock are a direct bolt on replacement for '93's (Other than the bearing change that'll need to be done..) Everything else should be correct.

I've found about 3 guys who have successfully mounted the newer triples on the 93 Frame with only needing that spacer washer to make up the difference in the Stem length,... even the Stops work supposedly Smile

As of this posting my Rebuild has developed a slight hiccup to it,.. in a rush to get my Cylinder and head off and sent out to Eric Gorr,.. I discovered that my Lower end is in need of a rebuild,.. Not something I had planned on doing this year,.. in fact, I was really stretching it just to try and get the Head and Cylinder done,.. ... Hopefully I can sell some more music gear to keep this project on track...

I'll keep you all posted Smile

Thanks!
Rick
11/22/2012 11:26am
Does someone know a code or a number of the "Nuclear Red" ? or maybe distributor who sell that silkprint color?

I will print some graphics (silkprint) but its hard to find that right color wich match the seatcover and plastic.

i have at my charts a flu-red but its more a orange than a red.
I have 4 distributors for silkprintclors and everyone have a neon-red/ flu red in the product range but every flu-red is like orange

...can someone help?
three9zero
11/22/2012 1:02pm
Does someone know a code or a number of the "Nuclear Red" ? or maybe distributor who sell that silkprint color? I will print some graphics...
Does someone know a code or a number of the "Nuclear Red" ? or maybe distributor who sell that silkprint color?

I will print some graphics (silkprint) but its hard to find that right color wich match the seatcover and plastic.

I have 4 distributors for silkprintclors and everyone have a neon-red/ flu red in the product range but every flu-red is like orange

...can someone help?
I remember that in 1992 they called the color Nuclear Watermelon.
NESC838
11/25/2012 5:33pm
Does someone know a code or a number of the "Nuclear Red" ? or maybe distributor who sell that silkprint color? I will print some graphics...

...can someone help?
PeakFreakGermany, I will try my best to help you.

I have a set of Team Primal Impulse Honda shrouds from one of their 1995 race bikes. The shrouds have the original silkscreened graphics with Honda's Nuclear Red. The graphics don't appear to be faded as they still very closely match the Nuclear Red plastics I have.

I am a graphic artist and have access to Pantone color books. I will grab some color books from work this week and see if I can match the Nuclear Red to a specific Pantone color. If I'm able to do that, then most any reputable printer should be able to match the color.

NOTE: If you end up having quality silkscreened reproduction graphics produced, I am interested in a set!
WERNER1
11/29/2012 5:48am
If you end up having quality silkscreened reproduction graphics produced, I am interested in a set!

+111111111111111111111111111

:D
MCfan4life
12/4/2012 9:22pm
Hey guys no new updates to report on the rebuild unfortunately.

I'm still having no luck with graphics either so things have come to a stand still. I really want to get this bike finished as I just bought my next project....

I unexpectedly stumbled on to a pretty neat (for its age) 1990 RM125 for $800. Time for another rebuild thread Smile These are the seller's pics. I will post better quality pics when I get it home this Friday

12/12/2012 11:50am
Hi Guys, I got my silkscreenprinted Graphics today.
The "Nuclear-Red" Color isn´t available anymore so i tried Neon-Red ...but ist more like Orange than a Red.
Im not happy with that "Orange" but its way better than the darker digital-red and and has the 90´s Style.

i applied one kit on my bike i will ride next year ( its just a rebuild for riding its not a restoration like my other Projects)

The Honda & Wing is Neon-Yellow and a different than the 1-800 yellow. You can see how match to the "Nuclear-red" Seatcover and Fender

I got some Sets without Holes for Showbikes only and few with holes for riding.

PM me for Details
notme
1/12/2013 11:35am
Time to bump this great thread.

Does anyone have any feedback on the steel DEP pipes? I want a factory style pipe and its seems this is the only one available. Looking for one for a 95 CR250 and 96 CR500.

Is there a plastics kit for the 95 CR250? Ive only found them individually,

thanks
barkhard696
1/12/2013 9:47pm
>Is there a plastics kit for the 95 CR250?

Yep, Motosport has a complete UFO kit in the '95 colors, in stock. You will have to purchase the front numberplate separately.

>Does anyone have any feedback on the steel DEP pipes?

Here's how a complete system looks on an '89 CR250:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CR-250-RK-1989-EVO-RAD-STICKERS-GRAPHICS-DECALS-/310404939093?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4845937d55

And here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-1989-HONDA-CR125-250-EVO-CLASS-RETRO-STYLE-GRAPHICS-KIT-/310394754589?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4844f8161d

As far as fit and finish, DEP has a great reputation in Europe, where they're from. The set I got for my '89 is righteous looking. If you're looking for a major power increase, I'm not aware of any pipe on these bikes that does much other than move the powerband around.
notme
1/14/2013 3:27pm
Thanks for the info, bark. For the life of me I cant find a link to the ufo kit on that site, have you got one?

As for the pipes, Im undecided of the DEP's, might just do PC's.
1/14/2013 3:35pm
notme wrote:
Thanks for the info, bark. For the life of me I cant find a link to the ufo kit on that site, have you got one...
Thanks for the info, bark. For the life of me I cant find a link to the ufo kit on that site, have you got one?

As for the pipes, Im undecided of the DEP's, might just do PC's.
I haven't seen any plastics with the '95 colors (purple) in years now. Plenty of the others though.

Here is the UFO kit at Motosport:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/UFO-PLASTIC-KIT
notme
1/14/2013 4:55pm
Wont ship the ufo kit to Canada....lame.
barkhard696
1/15/2013 11:56am
>I haven't seen any plastics with the '95 colors (purple) in years now.

That's a great point, although I'm fairly sure I saw a set of purple shrouds on eBay from The Bike Buzzard a while back. Buzzard's a hepcat over on the West Coast who has a pretty good UFO plastics connection-- UFO is the only company that still does runs of these plastics. It's UFO's niche.

I keep thinking in terms of a Team Honda replica, which was how we built my '95. For my project, I used black shrouds, and I've been happy with the results. Someone here can probably tell you what the correct shroud color is for a '95 replica-- if it's not black.

While it's a cliche, if you haven't had luck so far finding the exact plastics you need, force yourself to get in the habit of checking eBay CONSTANTLY. I scored an NOS set of '93 shrouds and number plates, I got to talking with the guy and he also had the seat as a 1 hour take-off. I bought all of this within 15 minutes of him posting the listing. (I got an NOS '86 seat and '87 sidecovers this way, too.) Most of my friends are amazed that these parts are still out there-- but you've got to be quick on the draw.
MCfan4life
1/15/2013 7:23pm
A small update. I just got my factory Honda Jeremy McGrath signed number plate in the post today. This will look great when it's mounted on the bike Smile

1/29/2013 1:28am
Hi all, I am new to this forum and just bought a 1993 CR250 to resto as a 1996 MC replica too. Great info here thanx to all you members !
Regarding triple clamps, I have had great success mounting French brand SCAR triple clamps to my 1989 CR250R with Ohlins forks, see pics.
These clamps actually fit 1997 to 2007 CR125/ 250 two strokes so 47mm standard Honda Showa forks will bolt straight in. The stock steering stops even lined up very well with the stock frame steering stop without modification. These clamps come red anodized which I had stripped off and I re anodized the top clamp and bar mounts black and the bottom clamp natural for the 89 HRC look. The top clamp needed minimal material machined out of it to mount up properly, the machining is underneath so it's not visible at all.
I will be trying to fit a set of these clamps to the 93 model CR250 I just bought.
The best part is that these SCAR clamps retail for only AU$449.99 for the complete top and bottom set including Pre pressed stem and lower bearing here: www.shop100mx.com
MCfan4life
1/29/2013 4:29am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/01/29/image_398079.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/01/29/image_301489.jpg[/img]

Paul?
barkhard696
1/29/2013 8:53am
>The best part is that these SCAR clamps retail for only AU$449.99 for the complete top and bottom set including Pre pressed stem and lower bearing

I understand from personal experience that the steering stem length is shorter on the '89 and '93 than the '96 and up. How did you address this? Also, the bearing changed in '93, so if you have the larger bearing that would come with clamps for a '97-'07, how did you address this?

Did you send them your '89 stem and have them press this in with the correct '89 bearing?

>The top clamp needed minimal material machined out of it to mount up properly, the machining is underneath so it's not visible at all.

What did you have removed?
pdub187
Fantasy
2532nd
1/29/2013 4:00pm
This bike is going to be sick when it's finished. Smile
1/29/2013 10:16pm
I used the stock 1989 stem, yes it is shorter so we had to change the thickness of the top lock nut on the bearing underneath the top triple clamp, we used an XR400 top nut here as it is thinner than the stock 89 CR250 lock nut. The thread is shorter through the top clamp nut but still plenty of thread to bolt it down nicely, see pic.
The stock steering locks on the triple clamps lined up nicely with the stock frame mounted steering stop, see in pic.
We used a new bearing with the correct ID to fit the stock stem and the correct OD to fit the SCAR clamps, this was a common bearing from a bearing supplier, nothing special.
Underneath the top clamp we had to machine a couple of mm's of alloy of so that it cleared the locknut and slid down closer on the bearing, see pics attached.
The bike is now finished !

barkhard696
2/1/2013 7:20pm
>I used the stock 1989 stem, yes it is shorter

Many thanks for the info, 100%.

Col, met up with DJ today and WAY stoked on the upcoming BIG NEWS!! Good stuff just around the corner, as I understand.
Raz #85
2/5/2013 1:24pm
MCfan4life wrote:
A small update. I just got my factory Honda Jeremy McGrath signed number plate in the post today. This will look great when it's mounted on...
A small update. I just got my factory Honda Jeremy McGrath signed number plate in the post today. This will look great when it's mounted on the bike Smile

that is MEGA!!!!!! i've been following this thread for a long time and its awesome!! keep it up n your latest "un-obtainable" front plate is so cool,well done on scoring that! Smile
barkhard696
2/7/2013 2:54am
>that is MEGA!!!!!! i've been following this thread for a long time and its awesome!! keep it up n your latest "un-obtainable" front plate is so cool,well done on scoring that!

+1!!!! Col, guess you got a shipment in from ole DJ!

WAY COOL plate... It'll be fun to see your bike when all this incredibly bad@ss stuff is on and the bike is 100%. IMHO it will be probably the top '96 replica around... I think Dana's decided to have his '96s be more riders than the showpiece your project will be/is.

Post a reply to: 1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

The Latest