1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

MCfan4life
12/3/2011 9:14pm
CamP wrote:
I was thinking that the shell looked like carbon wrapped metal in the first pic.
Sheriff245 wrote:
That's what I think as well. And that's what the French caption seems to be pointing out.
Hmmm interesting. I'll let you know what I find out...
MCfan4life
12/4/2011 9:17pm
I've had confirmation (from Brian Lunnis no less) that this is indeed a factory Honda number plate, not a repro. The cable guide the factory used actually came from Japan! They were carved from a solid block of h/duty nylon material that didn't wear out. It was screwed to the aluminium backing plate as seen in the photos.

The 2 slots down the bottom were for muddy conditions. In heavy mud the factory used an aluminium bracket that mounted onto the front fender bolt holes and went through the number plate and attached to the bottom triple clamp.

You know how they always say the Factory's think of every little detail...sheesh!

The original decal was removed and a new decal was installed over the holes for a photo shoot.

Tracktor
12/5/2011 4:00pm
This thread rules! I am doing a "Semi-replica" 96 CR125 right now. It's going to be a rider so not as nice but cool to see all of the builds going on.

Camp, I am putting 03 CRF450 forks on my 96 CR125 any hints for spring rate?.....................
CamP
12/5/2011 4:11pm
Tracktor wrote:
This thread rules! I am doing a "Semi-replica" 96 CR125 right now. It's going to be a rider so not as nice but cool to see...
This thread rules! I am doing a "Semi-replica" 96 CR125 right now. It's going to be a rider so not as nice but cool to see all of the builds going on.

Camp, I am putting 03 CRF450 forks on my 96 CR125 any hints for spring rate?.....................
How much do you weigh, with no gear?

The Shop

MCfan4life
12/5/2011 4:58pm
Tracktor wrote:
This thread rules! I am doing a "Semi-replica" 96 CR125 right now. It's going to be a rider so not as nice but cool to see...

CamP wrote:
And is he 5'18? LaughingTongue
CamP
12/5/2011 6:26pm
MCfan4life wrote:
And is he 5'18? LaughingTongue
For his sake, I hope not. Being 5'-18" is over-rated.
Tracktor
12/5/2011 9:12pm
Tracktor wrote:

CamP wrote:
That might have been a good detail to add? 175 or so no gear. Vet Intermediate/MX only. ...........Thanks, Giles
CamP
12/5/2011 9:21pm
Tracktor wrote:
That might have been a good detail to add? 175 or so no gear. Vet Intermediate/MX only. ...........Thanks, Giles
RT recommends .43kg front and 5.5kg rear springs. I've had good luck with their rates. Try reducing the outer chamber fork oil volume by 20cc from stock, but you will probably need lighter fork valving stacks.
Tracktor
12/6/2011 10:48am
Camp, thats exactly what my suspension guy is doing. I appreciate the input.....end hijack...........
MCfan4life
12/22/2011 10:18pm
FINALLY!!! Looky what just arrived at 3.30pm, Friday 23rd December!!!

Thanks DJ. I owe you many many beers Wink

But I just realised they sent the wrong disc!!!! I ordered the round disc, not the wave disc! Fuck.
Tracktor
12/23/2011 10:33am
The 96 CR125 prett much complete. Wasn't meant to be a true replica -
12/23/2011 4:40pm
Looks great tractor, sure looks like a fun machine. enjoy having a blat out on the track- 'braap!
barkhard696
12/27/2011 11:03pm
Col, I semi-know the CRFStuff dude -- and he's a great guy-- but a 280-mm on our bike, is just almost comically too much. Here's my experiement with the regular 280-mm on my 93 (another project I worked on with Dana). This has also had the updated SHOWA front end, so it's similar to your 96:

Here's another view...

I'd recommend you don't go any bigger than 270. There is a place in Texas selling a leftover 270-mm Brembo rotor that's not bad looking... Just an idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230693289578?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p…
MCfan4life
12/29/2011 7:23pm
Col, I semi-know the CRFStuff dude -- and he's a great guy-- but a 280-mm on our bike, is just almost comically too much. Here's my...
Col, I semi-know the CRFStuff dude -- and he's a great guy-- but a 280-mm on our bike, is just almost comically too much. Here's my experiement with the regular 280-mm on my 93 (another project I worked on with Dana). This has also had the updated SHOWA front end, so it's similar to your 96:

Here's another view...

I'd recommend you don't go any bigger than 270. There is a place in Texas selling a leftover 270-mm Brembo rotor that's not bad looking... Just an idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230693289578?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p…
Thanks James.

I checked out the Brembo but that's not going to cut it for this rebuild unfortunately.

I just got an email from CRFStuff telling me they have sold out of the classic rotors Angry and aren't producing any more. He has 2 slightly used discs and I'm awaiting photos to inspect them.
barkhard696
12/30/2011 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2011 10:32pm
>I just got an email from CRFStuff telling me they have sold out of the classic rotors

That's a shame, sorry to hear of it.

I will say -- that rotor combined with his upgrade kit is INSANE, especially on the light(-er) 93. CRFStuff must be stuck with market conditions -- everyone who buys aftermarket on brakes, wants some crazy, stylized design. Kids nowadays!

While everyone who's ridden it, has commented on how flickable the '93 is -- all the 4t guys say the '93 is slow (compared to a 450). But not a one has said the 280mm is anything other than unreal.

If you end up racing your 96, that 280mm would be an advantage, if you learn to handle how insane it is. Here's an analogy you'll like -- that big brake on the '93-96 is like killing a rabbit with a Howitzer.

I still get a chuckle out of how much of all of this is relative. When I was a kid, my old RM80 was a rocketsled. Then I had my growth spurt, to be big enough for a fullsized bike, so on a dare with the old man-- I rode his old, worn-out '82 RM250... Which scared the *sweet bejesus* out of me.

I'm still grateful the old drum brakes on that bike actually (more or less) stopped me!
MCfan4life
1/11/2012 4:35am
Good News!

Scott at CRFStuff has been nothing but helpful. I have returned the wave disc and he is sending a lightly used classic round disc at a reduced price and is covering shipping. Definitely can't complain about his service!

It's school holidays here so I've been pretty much flat out every day either working or doing stuff with the kids. I will be back in full rebuild mode late January/early Feb.

Thanks again to Scott at CRFStuff.com for his help.

PS. James, this bike will never be ridden as long as I'm the owner. It will never even have gas in it.
MCfan4life
1/11/2012 5:57am
TeamGreen wrote:
I'm guessing this is the Silencer you want to "Reproduce"? Damn, Aussie...have you been drinkin' and gettin' pissed at the Footie Club...AGAIN!? Ok, after givin' ya...
I'm guessing this is the Silencer you want to "Reproduce"?

Damn, Aussie...have you been drinkin' and gettin' pissed at the Footie Club...AGAIN!?

Ok, after givin' ya shit I will say that it can proll'y be done w/ some FMF bits...I think that part is a Sankei w/ composite bits by Arai...of all things. And, it's a real P.O.S.! Lasts about an hour before it starts to discolor (W/ someone like J-Mac at the helm). T300 Plain-Weave carbon with Kevlar tracers...why? I have NO idea! The Japanese proll'y used what was around...that is the nuttiest material to pick for that application.

The internals can be made from a combination of 250/500 parts to meet the ol' HRC spec/look. I'll ask Big D about this next-week when I'm down there...keep your fingers crassed 'cause they've got some Ti bits.

You are a fuggin' nut.

I love this project (There's one JUST LIKE IT goin' on at P.C....but that one is Blue, I think...).

Has Jeremy seen this thing? You can proll'y get him to ride it...

Btw, that Yosh pipe on the 29 is an "Outdoor" Practice pipe. Daddy knows these things.
Any progress TeamGreen? I've sent you a few PM's but have had no response... Sad
barkhard696
1/31/2012 6:09pm
Col,

If you're still looking for someone who hand makes cone section pipes, there's Jon Easton Manufacturing Company (JEMCO), here in Houston -- in fact, it's not far from my house. Just look up JEMCO Exhaust, and you'll find him. I'm not sure what a custom one-off would run, but Jon has been doing pipes since 1964.

Jon is pretty well known in the vintage scene. I think Cam may know him also.

He hand makes cone pipes for EVERYTHING -- last time I was in his shop, he had the then-revolutionary 2010 YZ450F in to make jigs for a pipe, an '84 Husky 430 Auto and a Lamborgini Countach. Yep, he makes exhaust for anything with an engine, and everything is 100% by hand. (He thinks stampings are for wussies.)

Jon made a cone pipe for my 1982 RM250. For simple jobs like this-- with only a few sections and he already has the jigs-- it's $250. I can say his workmanship is amazing. I've never heard of anyone who's had a JEMCO pipe have issue one with it, ever. I'm sure I'll have him make one for my 1981 RM125, Jon's getting old and this kind of craftsmanship is dying away.

I don't know if Jon has the jigs set up for a 1996, and he may need to borrow a pipe to do this from Dana or myself. I can certainly pick it up -- his shop is on my way home to/from work. You'd have to work out the price and payment with Jon.
MCfan4life
2/1/2012 7:24pm
Col, If you're still looking for someone who hand makes cone section pipes, there's Jon Easton Manufacturing Company (JEMCO), here in Houston -- in fact, it's...
Col,

If you're still looking for someone who hand makes cone section pipes, there's Jon Easton Manufacturing Company (JEMCO), here in Houston -- in fact, it's not far from my house. Just look up JEMCO Exhaust, and you'll find him. I'm not sure what a custom one-off would run, but Jon has been doing pipes since 1964.

Jon is pretty well known in the vintage scene. I think Cam may know him also.

He hand makes cone pipes for EVERYTHING -- last time I was in his shop, he had the then-revolutionary 2010 YZ450F in to make jigs for a pipe, an '84 Husky 430 Auto and a Lamborgini Countach. Yep, he makes exhaust for anything with an engine, and everything is 100% by hand. (He thinks stampings are for wussies.)

Jon made a cone pipe for my 1982 RM250. For simple jobs like this-- with only a few sections and he already has the jigs-- it's $250. I can say his workmanship is amazing. I've never heard of anyone who's had a JEMCO pipe have issue one with it, ever. I'm sure I'll have him make one for my 1981 RM125, Jon's getting old and this kind of craftsmanship is dying away.

I don't know if Jon has the jigs set up for a 1996, and he may need to borrow a pipe to do this from Dana or myself. I can certainly pick it up -- his shop is on my way home to/from work. You'd have to work out the price and payment with Jon.
Thanks James, I'll look into it and will certainly consider it down the track.

At the moment I'm focussing on getting the graphics and a carbon silencer so I can finish the damn thing!

I'm almost done with the brake upgrade and also putting the carbon wrap on the airbox (another nightmare job) and should have photos up later today.
MCfan4life
2/1/2012 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2012 9:07pm
Here's a couple of small updates.

I bought this radiator cap used off ebay for about $10 I think. It was black but a little faded. Most importantly it had the danger decal intact. I taped over the decal and touched it up with some satin black.

My CRFStuff 'classic' disc arrived. Here it is underneath the standard disc to compare size...

MCfan4life
2/1/2012 7:40pm
In my last order from the U.S I orderred some OEM plastics.

Here are some new OEM 'neutral' coloured fork guards. They are on the outside. The inside guards were UFO fork guards. I was bummed that the OEM fork guards are a little different colour. The left side guard (on the far right in the pic) is a little yellowish...

I also ordered an OEM front fender to replace the UFO front fender that got scratched when the bike fell off it's stand. The new OEM fender is on the right. You can see that the UFO is a pretty good colour match.

MCfan4life
2/1/2012 10:11pm
New rear OEM oversize disc and new OEM calliper and bracket fitted (off 97-99 CR250)

MCfan4life
2/1/2012 10:18pm
My home made factory shifter. I bought an old rubber tipped steel shifter off ebay (they are hard to come by these days). I removed the worn rubber tip and cleaned her up and painted it satin black. Then bought a new rubber tip off Hammerhead. Luckily they're sold as pairs as they were too short for the lever and I had to modify the both of them to make one...

ocscottie
2/1/2012 10:25pm
Hey Col, that made me think of this pic i saw posted on twit of Treys bike, it is sad Sad The week before it was a happy face, we are such tech junkys! love all the little details. lol

MCfan4life
2/1/2012 10:36pm
ocscottie wrote:
Hey Col, that made me think of this pic i saw posted on twit of Treys bike, it is sad :( The week before it was...
Hey Col, that made me think of this pic i saw posted on twit of Treys bike, it is sad Sad The week before it was a happy face, we are such tech junkys! love all the little details. lol

Ha! That is sad but in a very cool kinda way!

Post a reply to: 1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

The Latest