1996 CR250

Edited Date/Time 2/22/2015 11:11am
Hey guys, I am new to this site as a user but have been lurking in the old school forum for a while. I am not sure if I am allowed to post things for sale here but I am parting out a 1996 CR250. I purchased the bike to swap the motor into my 2002 CR250. The bike was complete so I have many parts laying around now. The pipe and silencer were trashed and the plastics were faded pretty badly but the rest of the bike has many parts to offer to the old school crowd. Thank you for your time guys!

|
TerryK
6/21/2012 8:02pm
Ah, yet another good bike gets ripped to shreds. No offense, but this always makes me sad.
MCfan4life
6/23/2012 4:30am
TerryK wrote:
Ah, yet another good bike gets ripped to shreds. No offense, but this always makes me sad.
Yep Sad
6/23/2012 4:44am
Well I had a big change of heart guys. I decided to part out my 2002 instead. I have a decent bid battle going for my 2002 engine only 30hrs into a 7 day auction! I started looking at all the 1992-1996 250's and really fell in love with them all over again. I am gonna use the forks off of my 2002, the rest will be 1996. Hope you guys don't mind another build thread. Smile

The Shop

scooter5002
6/23/2012 8:00pm
I've got a 93 that I still tear it up on. Have an entire front end off an 07 RM450 on it, since at 265 lbs in gear the stock susp was unrideable. All I did to make it fit was take a little bit off the bottom of the steering stem to set the proper protrusion on top for the upper clamp and voila! Fit right on. I suggest this only because the offset will give you the famous Honda handling that made those bikes so great. No your 02 Showas won't fit into a set of Zook clamps. Tried it, since I have an 04 CRF. Sorry, you can't go that route and cheat. I just bought another set off petie from Cinci on here. $350 I think I paid. Now I have a set to put back on the 07 Zook. Got it, might as well ride the damn thing.
6/27/2012 6:20am
Hey guys, I have the frame at the powder coater right now. I am going to be using 2000 model CR250 Forks, and the 2000 rear shock and swing arm so that I can have the old bike greatness, with modern suspension. My aluminum subframe also came in from ACR racing and it looks pretty nice, I will post a pic of it soon. The cylinder has been sent off to be replated, ported, and set up for race fuel. If anyone needs 1996 OEM suspension, swing arm, wheels/hubs/brakes, let me know.
7/3/2012 7:50am
I looked around on here ( I didn't look very hard) for some info on where to get titanium axles, axle nuts, and also a titanium swingarm bolt/washer/nut and didn't seem to find anything. I am using 2000 model forks 2002 model wheel/brakes/axle, and 2000 model swingarm with a 2002 rear wheel(this is what I had to work with) Can anyone point me in the right direction for these parts on my '96? I have been seriously considering replacing all of the hardware on the bike with titanium. I purchased this bike for $375, and made a killing parting out my 2002 CR250, so I plan on using the monies from the 2002 parts towards my '96 restoration. Thanks guys!
jtracing6
7/3/2012 8:44am
Have you tried mettec.com? If no joy there try this company in the UK. They will make them in stainless steel, phildentonengineering.co.uk
7/3/2012 8:50am
Thanks, I will check them out! Thanks, let me know when you get your carb, I have never sent anything overseas before and I hear that it takes a while.
jtracing6
7/3/2012 12:58pm
Yes, normally about 10 days to two weeks. Fingers crossed it doesn't get held up in customs!
7/18/2012 9:56am
Hey guys, just wanted to post a small update on what is going on with my rebuild. Thanks to member: Banana_oil, I was able to get two of the seat covers that he has on his '96. He was nice enough to take the time to order them from his dealer, and send them to me all the way in Texas.

Before:

After:

I also ordered all new plastics for it from Dennis Kirk

Also thanks to Banana_oil, he recommended Evo-MX.com to me for OEM replica decals for my shrouds. They are out of England and customer service is 100% satisfactory.

Another thanks to Banana_Oil for sending me a close up shot of his swing arm decal, EVO-MX had not made a swing arm decal for the 1995-1996 bike yet. I sent them the photo he sent to me and they now offer it as well.

I am still waiting to get my frame back from powder coating, and I am also waiting for my Emig Racing triple clamps as well. I can't wait til they arrive.

On my quest to use the 2000 model swing arm, and Showa shock, I learned that the linkage does not mount right up. Here is what I did to resolve the issue.

The "dog bone" on the '96 is much narrower than the "dog bone" of the 2000.

The pivot on the 2000 is much wider than the pivot of the '96

I did not feel comfortable modifying the frame, so I knew that I had to continue using the '96 dog bone in order to connect the linkage to the frame. What I did was took the 2000 model pivot to a local Tool and Die shop and had them narrow it down to the same width of the '96 pivot so that It would mount into the '96 dog bone. After it was narrowed, they also corrected the depth of the shoulder so that I could continue to use the correct seal and bearing kit for the 2000 pivot. It now fits just as well as an OEM piece.

I will have to get the correct die to thread the bolt down far enough so that I can use it for this application. I will then cut off the excess.

Another issue that I had is that the holes in the 2000 model dog bone are 12mm, and the holes in the '96 model dog bone are 15mm aprox. I had the Tool and Die shop bush them down to the correct size.

The last issue with the now narrowed 2000 model pivot is that the inner sleeve is now longer than it needs to be. When my bearing kit comes in I will take the new sleeve to be narrowed to match the correct length.

One last thing to note is that the 2000 model dog bone is 136mm long, from center to center of the bores. The 1996 model dog bone is aprox 140mm long center to center of the bores. I am not sure how much 4mm of extra length is going to effect the rear end height of my bike but if it lowers it slightly that is very fine with me as I am only 5'5" tall. I hope that it doesn't lower it a drastic amount, and I also hope that we can tune the suspension valving to work well with the overall setup.

I feel like I am forgetting to mention a lot of things, so feel free to badger me. My prerogative here was to be able to use the 2000 model swing arm, shock, brakes, and not have to use aftermarket parts.

With so many beautiful Jeremy McGrath replicas already in existence, I felt it would be hard to compete with everyone. My intent is to have a steel framed CR250R that appears very stock-ish, but have the advantages of modern suspension, brakes, and horsepower.
Banana_oil
7/18/2012 2:12pm
Great to see the progress and I'm impressed by your ambition and work with the 2000 suspension. Glad I could contribute!
7/18/2012 3:48pm
Looks like it is going to be an awesome bike... What did shipping run you from the UK?
7/18/2012 3:59pm
^^Thanks!!

Well not long after I logged off earlier I received a call from the powder coating place that my frame was ready for pickup!

I test fit the newly modified linkage and the 2000 swing arm, and I couldn't resist but to throw the aluminum subframe on as well. Everything fit perfectly!!!

underside view

JIM77
7/19/2012 3:40am
I would be interested in getting my hands on one of those seat covers from Tecnosel, if any one can point me in the right direction?
7/19/2012 10:31am
JIM77 wrote:
I would be interested in getting my hands on one of those seat covers from Tecnosel, if any one can point me in the right direction?
me to? good job so far! i have a 97 cr 125 and love it so much! i to am in two mind of putting a newer front end on mine, i was thinking of putting a set of showa's on it to keep it honda, i think the clamps from a crf 250 04 onwards fit if you use the 97 lower bearing!
CamP
7/23/2012 8:17am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2012 8:23am
me to? good job so far! i have a 97 cr 125 and love it so much! i to am in two mind of putting a...
me to? good job so far! i have a 97 cr 125 and love it so much! i to am in two mind of putting a newer front end on mine, i was thinking of putting a set of showa's on it to keep it honda, i think the clamps from a crf 250 04 onwards fit if you use the 97 lower bearing!
If you want to install twin chamber Showa's on a steel frame CR, the lower triple clamp from a '97 CR125 or '96 CR250 is the one to use. All you need are .010" thick aluminum shims in the lower clamp's bores. Two layers of aluminum Coke can works perfectly.
7/23/2012 1:36pm
Yes I did measure up Friday night and noticed that, I got a hanging bracket for the clipper so I can run the stock 97! And a set of late wheel spacers! I mate has a set of 07 250f showas I can use so when I get them il have a proper look and let you know! Thanks for the info
CamP
7/23/2012 3:10pm
Yes I did measure up Friday night and noticed that, I got a hanging bracket for the clipper so I can run the stock 97! And...
Yes I did measure up Friday night and noticed that, I got a hanging bracket for the clipper so I can run the stock 97! And a set of late wheel spacers! I mate has a set of 07 250f showas I can use so when I get them il have a proper look and let you know! Thanks for the info
You'll need the late model axle as well.
7/24/2012 10:20am
Thanks you! I don't want to pinch someone else's thread! Ha! Il do put info of my bike etc when I get a spare few min's as to I am new on here!
7/25/2012 8:12pm
I now have all my parts in, other than my cylinder, which is still out for plating. I received my Emig Racing lower triple clamp and I can say that the quality is top notch. It is a very nice piece. The only problem is that is was obviously more shiny than anything else on the bike, so I decided to glass bead it in the blasting cabinet in an attempt to make it less bright. This may seem like a crime to most people but I am very happy with the outcome. The upper clamp and lower clamp are close enough in appearance that it suits me. I slid the forks in the clamps and installed the number plate just to get a taste of what to expect. I will post more pictures of the progress soon.

An interesting detail I have not yet mentioned before, is where I got my 2000 model suspension and who the bike once belonged to. I purchased a 2000 CR250 that had no motor, no plastics, not even a tank. It was merely a basket case. It was originally from California, but ended up in Austin, TX. I live about 3.5hrs south of there. Although it has yet to be proven by concrete evidence, it seems highly plausible that the information I was given is truth.

Here is a picture of the signature on the shock, to see if anyone recognizes the name.

My suspension/motor guy (www.hpbikes.com) told me that the forks and shock were valved very stiff and the forks had some neat works parts inside that are now stock in the more recent Showa forks. He went ahead and revalved/resprung everything to my speed and weight.
Nick953
7/26/2012 4:16am
Looks like it was Seth Enslow's
7/29/2012 4:01pm
I was assembling my engine and the water pump gear was damaged and cracked. I would like to replace it with a newer model impeller that is a steel gear, instead of the 1996 plastic gear. Does anyone know if the 2000 model steel water pump gear/shaft will fit into the 1996 engine?
reded
7/30/2012 5:09am
To hell with the rest of it, where do I find that puzzle?
rallendude
7/30/2012 1:15pm
Oh, he manufactures the puzzles to sell to the public at $39.99 each. The rest of this interesting story was all just an elaborate hoax so he could strategically position the puzzle into the pictures thus discretely generating large amounts of business for his puzzle manufacturing company.

Sorry, I kid. That's just the first thing that popped into my head since I thought the exact same thought when I saw the photo....."where'd he get that puzzle?"
7/31/2012 10:44am
Due to an unforeseen event, I am not going to be able to go any further on this project. Everything is for sale again. Plastics, seat, decals, frame. Everything.
bradmx421
7/31/2012 12:54pm
that sucks, it was starting to come together....... good luck selling it

Post a reply to: 1996 CR250

The Latest