1991 Honda Cr 125 Project - Quries

Pazaz
10/29/2018 3:17pm
Just got myself a 1991 CR125 for original restoration project in the Uk, and as a newbie trying to establish the following:-

1. If part numbers from slighty different from slighly newer cr125s, does this mean they wont fit?
2. Any recommendations on where to source new and second hand parts online?
3. The best manufacturer to match the 1991 Red (R119)?
4. If fork legs uppers are worn and maked, could theae still be re anodized and look ok?
5. Best method to remove swinging arm marks and scratches?

Looking for the following if anyone anyone could possible help?

1. Original Grey airbox.
2. Front and rear mudguards (right colour R119 for year).
3. Bottom triple clamp.
4. Chain rollers and swigning arm chain slide.
5. Exhaust system.
6. Gold colour wheels.
7. Rear brake calliper guard.
8. Front sprocket guard.
9. New standard height seat and Tecnosel gripper seat cover (original design and right colour Red).

If anybody else has an other info, pics or tips for a 1991 CR 125 restoration project, please feel free to also post here.

Thanks for any time offered in posting. Much appreciated.

|
sandman768
10/29/2018 5:42pm
The search box in the upper rh corner, type in 91 cr125, I"m sure there has been some nice builds on here for that bike. That will,provide some good info. eBay will provide your parts if not availible from Honda. Start a build & post up some photos!
chase383
10/30/2018 3:43am
Brad460 built a stunning 1991 CR125. Might want to reach out to him.
10/30/2018 12:57pm
Pazaz wrote:
Just got myself a 1991 CR125 for original restoration project in the Uk, and as a newbie trying to establish the following:- 1. If part numbers...
Just got myself a 1991 CR125 for original restoration project in the Uk, and as a newbie trying to establish the following:-

1. If part numbers from slighty different from slighly newer cr125s, does this mean they wont fit?
2. Any recommendations on where to source new and second hand parts online?
3. The best manufacturer to match the 1991 Red (R119)?
4. If fork legs uppers are worn and maked, could theae still be re anodized and look ok?
5. Best method to remove swinging arm marks and scratches?

Looking for the following if anyone anyone could possible help?

1. Original Grey airbox.
2. Front and rear mudguards (right colour R119 for year).
3. Bottom triple clamp.
4. Chain rollers and swigning arm chain slide.
5. Exhaust system.
6. Gold colour wheels.
7. Rear brake calliper guard.
8. Front sprocket guard.
9. New standard height seat and Tecnosel gripper seat cover (original design and right colour Red).

If anybody else has an other info, pics or tips for a 1991 CR 125 restoration project, please feel free to also post here.

Thanks for any time offered in posting. Much appreciated.

The 91's are cool little bikes! I still have my '91 CR80 in the container, I have a soft spot for that year

1) Some Part numbers will super-seed, some wont.

2) We can get you NOS or new parts, along with our own components.

3) UFO plastics are a pretty good match for the OEM colours (again we can supply them)

4) Depends how badly marked they are. They will need to be polished/sanded before they are re-anodised.

5) A file for the deep gouges (if really deep they might need a blob of weld) then wet & dry paper till smooth. Then vapour blast to get it clean. Then a good few hours with fine wet & dry and then scotch bright pads to get the "brushed" look back.

Wheels, exhaust, etc etc give us a call , basically we can help you with whatever you need. From OEM parts, plastics, wheel building, engine building, vapour blasting, powder coating, Ti bolt sets, billet suspension links. Whatever you need. And if its something we cant do we can point you in the direction of someone who can!

Stevie
Pazaz
11/12/2018 2:28pm
Thanks for your replies.

Found some amazing 91 rebuilds in the search facility at top of this page as suggested by sandman768. Thanks

Stevied113 - thanks for your info, advice and offer of assistance, its much appreciated.

Still struggling with part numbers. How can I find out if a part number will fit my 91 if the number is slightly different. For example the radiator shrouds for 91 and 92 have diff part numbers, but you see some adverts selling them saying they will fit 91 to 96 ?? Is this an experince thing to know what will fit what year?

If I was looking for the following would any of yor experts know what years would fit my 91?
1. Wheels
2. Forks
3. Radiators
4. Rad shrowds
6. Bottom tripple clamp.
7. Brake calipers.
8. Clutch and maginto casings.
9. Exhaust

Hopefully if a few years will fit a 91, I can widen my search and hopefully it may be easier in my search for parts.

Thanks for any posters time in responding.

The Shop

11/14/2018 7:29pm
I have a parts bike if you would be interested in triple clamps and other parts. I have a seat but it'll need a new cover. Hit me up on fb if you are interested. maurisa hoggatt
avmechanic
11/15/2018 12:19am
Pazaz wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Found some amazing 91 rebuilds in the search facility at top of this page as suggested by sandman768. Thanks Stevied113 - thanks...
Thanks for your replies.

Found some amazing 91 rebuilds in the search facility at top of this page as suggested by sandman768. Thanks

Stevied113 - thanks for your info, advice and offer of assistance, its much appreciated.

Still struggling with part numbers. How can I find out if a part number will fit my 91 if the number is slightly different. For example the radiator shrouds for 91 and 92 have diff part numbers, but you see some adverts selling them saying they will fit 91 to 96 ?? Is this an experince thing to know what will fit what year?

If I was looking for the following would any of yor experts know what years would fit my 91?
1. Wheels
2. Forks
3. Radiators
4. Rad shrowds
6. Bottom tripple clamp.
7. Brake calipers.
9. Exhaust

Hopefully if a few years will fit a 91, I can widen my search and hopefully it may be easier in my search for parts.

The CR125 engine of that era is the same for many many years. Most parts swap back and forth. Even the older ATAC engines have a ton of parts that swap into the HPP engines. Here is a link to a great interchange guide. Often stuff swaps around even more than this guide would indicate too.http://oem-cycle.com/HONDACR125BIKEID.shtml For plastic you really are just best to order new UFO plastic. Rad shrouds actually fit 91/92 only or 90/91 CR250 are the same. Only issue is they are different colours every year. For you, you will need white ones, the rest of the plastic should be red other than the number plates. I ordered my plastic direct from http://ufoplasticusa.com/new/index.php , they have all the pieces you need including the chain buffers and guide. They are a perfect colour match and as good as OEM fitment. Used stuff will just be beat to crap anyway and new plastic is reasonable. Exhaust is available for FMF, Pro circuit, DEP, Fresco and several others. For radiators just buy a set of aftermarket GPI rads of Ebay. They fit fine and work great. Finding used is near impossible and GPI rads are very reasonable. They have great silicone rad hose kits too. Brakes interchange for many years. Rear callipers up to 2001 for sure. Front callipers fit right up to 2010s or so. All the Nissin front callipers from all the Japanese brands bolt right on as long as you have a good calliper bracket. Any front Nissin master cylinder will work too. Some guys even use the KTM Brembo master cylinders. For wheels you should be able to bolt on up to 2001 rear and I believe up to 96' front. I would consider the forks before wheels. I highly recommend just upgrading to 97' to 2003 Honda 47MM Showa twin chamber forks or better yet 2004 to 2008 Honda 47mm Showa twin chamber forks. You can press the steering stem from your original lower triple clamp into the new fork triple clamps or you can order bearing conversion kits from All Balls bearings. https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion New forks makes the bike and can be done for reasonable from a bike wrecker or ebay. I put 2001 forks on my 88' CR250 and have a set of 2011 RMZ Showa forks for my next build. My 88' conversion only cost $350 for everything including the bearings forks triple clamp and wheel hub. I am using a 2002 Yamaha front calliper now with 2002 Yamaha master cylinder for front brake along with 2001 Honda front brake hose. I tried finding used wheels but all the bikes I parted out and even the used wheels that I bought and thought were good all turned out to be cracked on a closer look. In the end I laced up new rims to a 1996 rear hub and 2001 front hub. Most parts are available for these bikes no problem. I bought a ton of used parts on ebay and most new stuff at Parzilla and Rockymountain ATV/MC. Partzilla parts breakdowns are great as you can find the part then click on it and find what years and other bikes the part fits. It helps to find what can interchange. Good luck with the project and keep us posted with lots of pictures. Any questions let me know and I will do my best to answer.
Greg
Pazaz
12/3/2018 1:04pm
Pazaz wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Found some amazing 91 rebuilds in the search facility at top of this page as suggested by sandman768. Thanks Stevied113 - thanks...
Thanks for your replies.

1. Wheels
2. Forks
3. Radiators
4. Rad shrowds
6. Bottom tripple clamp.
7. Brake calipers.
9. Exhaust

avmechanic wrote:
The CR125 engine of that era is the same for many many years. Most parts swap back and forth. Even the older ATAC engines have a...
The CR125 engine of that era is the same for many many years. Most parts swap back and forth. Even the older ATAC engines have a ton of parts that swap into the HPP engines. Here is a link to a great interchange guide. Often stuff swaps around even more than this guide would indicate too.http://oem-cycle.com/HONDACR125BIKEID.shtml For plastic you really are just best to order new UFO plastic. Rad shrouds actually fit 91/92 only or 90/91 CR250 are the same. Only issue is they are different colours every year. For you, you will need white ones, the rest of the plastic should be red other than the number plates. I ordered my plastic direct from http://ufoplasticusa.com/new/index.php , they have all the pieces you need including the chain buffers and guide. They are a perfect colour match and as good as OEM fitment. Used stuff will just be beat to crap anyway and new plastic is reasonable. Exhaust is available for FMF, Pro circuit, DEP, Fresco and several others. For radiators just buy a set of aftermarket GPI rads of Ebay. They fit fine and work great. Finding used is near impossible and GPI rads are very reasonable. They have great silicone rad hose kits too. Brakes interchange for many years. Rear callipers up to 2001 for sure. Front callipers fit right up to 2010s or so. All the Nissin front callipers from all the Japanese brands bolt right on as long as you have a good calliper bracket. Any front Nissin master cylinder will work too. Some guys even use the KTM Brembo master cylinders. For wheels you should be able to bolt on up to 2001 rear and I believe up to 96' front. I would consider the forks before wheels. I highly recommend just upgrading to 97' to 2003 Honda 47MM Showa twin chamber forks or better yet 2004 to 2008 Honda 47mm Showa twin chamber forks. You can press the steering stem from your original lower triple clamp into the new fork triple clamps or you can order bearing conversion kits from All Balls bearings. https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion New forks makes the bike and can be done for reasonable from a bike wrecker or ebay. I put 2001 forks on my 88' CR250 and have a set of 2011 RMZ Showa forks for my next build. My 88' conversion only cost $350 for everything including the bearings forks triple clamp and wheel hub. I am using a 2002 Yamaha front calliper now with 2002 Yamaha master cylinder for front brake along with 2001 Honda front brake hose. I tried finding used wheels but all the bikes I parted out and even the used wheels that I bought and thought were good all turned out to be cracked on a closer look. In the end I laced up new rims to a 1996 rear hub and 2001 front hub. Most parts are available for these bikes no problem. I bought a ton of used parts on ebay and most new stuff at Parzilla and Rockymountain ATV/MC. Partzilla parts breakdowns are great as you can find the part then click on it and find what years and other bikes the part fits. It helps to find what can interchange. Good luck with the project and keep us posted with lots of pictures. Any questions let me know and I will do my best to answer.
Greg
Thank you so much avmechanic for such an informative response and for the very useful links. Learnt so much and thanks for your time.

My resto project is going to be slow one, but will get there in the end and share some pics when I eventually get stuck into it.
Pazaz
2/4/2019 7:43am
Avmechanic can I please pick your brains further or anyone else who is able to help with regards to compatable front forks for this bike.

I am trying get my head around the below text abstracted from Avmechanicd post above (excuse my lack of knowledge to understand this in detail). Iam looking to change my forks and needing to understand what Year forks I could install straight on my 91 CR125 1991.

Thanks again all

I highly recommend just upgrading to 97' to 2003 Honda 47MM Showa twin chamber forks or better yet 2004 to 2008 Honda 47mm Showa twin chamber forks. You can press the steering stem from your original lower triple clamp into the new fork triple clamps or you can order bearing conversion kits from All Balls bearings. https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion New forks makes the bike and can be done for reasonable from a bike wrecker or ebay. I put 2001 forks on my 88' CR250 and have a set of 2011 RMZ Showa forks for my next build. My 88' conversion only cost $350 for everything including the bearings forks triple clamp and wheel hubverything including the bearings forks triple clamp and wheel hub
avmechanic
2/4/2019 4:02pm
It is pretty simple really. Find yourself a used set of later forks, ideally the 2004-2008 CR/CRF 47mm Showa twin chamber forks. Get as complete as possible. You will need the triple clamps, front axle and wheel hub or wheel. You would also be best to get the brake but you can also fit your original. Once you have the forks you want to use go to the All balls racing site and use their fork conversion database system to find the conversion bearings you need to fit on the new forks for your steering head on your 91' frame. Then assemble. One other option is to take your original triple clamps and get the steering stem pressed out of the lower clamp by a shop with a hydraulic press. Then press that steering stem into the lower clamp of the forks you selected. I can't guarantee this will work as not all newer fork clamps will be machined the same size to swap the steering stem. There are not a lot of options for other forks that just slip into your clamps and if they do fit they will be just as crappy as the originals.
Greg

Post a reply to: 1991 Honda Cr 125 Project - Quries

The Latest