1990 VRP Mugen 125 - rebuilt

luckynino
12/31/2014 10:13am
Hey guys - all the best for 2015 Smile

Let's keep twostrokes smoking.....
luckynino
1/1/2015 8:33am Edited Date/Time 1/1/2015 10:41am
Main diffence between a 4-stroke and a 2-stroke?
The pipe, smell and sound

So i thought maybe you like to see how my coned pipe got made:
Usually i use italian Messico exhausts as they proved to offer best performance with my Mugen engines. I have tried a lot of different exhausts but the italian beauty simply offers the best package: awesome mid and top with great overrev.

I have a total of 13 exhausts for three 125cc Hondas...not a bad collection Wink Obviously missing are the 3 Messico exhausts that are mounted on my bikes plus one Pro Circuit which i have in a box with spares:

So since i will stick only to the best the others will collect dust hanging on the wall...i won't use the others again since i now have 3 Messico pipes which already look awesome:

BUT - i still looked for that special coned pipe. Problem is Scalvini pipes don't perform. I was lucky to got to know a young Italian though italian MXBars forum. That guy was doing such coned pipes upon demand. I asked if he would do me a coned pipe for my bike with the measures of a Messico and he said "no problem" since he too had a CR 125 and also used a Messico before. So he had it on hand to take measures. I further asked him to change shape so i would be able to mount that exhaust not only on the '90 VRP but also on my current AF bike with the CRF chassis. That bike has the radiators sitting lower than the old VRP therefore the exhaust needed to have a different bend. After some measuring and sending pictures of my modern bike he started my custom exhaust:

Computer drawing:

Cutting all the segments (there's another pipe on that same sheet)...looks like a puzzle Wink

Laid out:

1st step are some cones:

Backjard workshop:

Some details:

It starts to look like a pipe:

Custom handmade by a 19 year old...Italian Cristian Massaua is the man who did this MRP pipe (Massaua Racing Pipe)

I just like the look:

And here's how it sounds:
If you sound closely you can detect that irritating sound off the vibrating glide plate i mentioned before. It was when i did this video that i detected the glide plate beeing the reason for the annoying sound which basically ruined my day on the 1st outing with the rebuilt VRP.
luckynino
1/1/2015 10:25am Edited Date/Time 1/1/2015 10:35am
Wait for my italian friend to show the copy-paste of my bike....even with my race number Wink

His VRP is the '89 version with the mentioned aluminium airbox and gas tank with the funnels. We were just now discussing if we could do a vintage race together in the north of Italy...i hope i can join the championship for just this one race.

1/1/2015 10:34am
my bike....

It's CR 125 Mugen VRP alu frame ( Frame , Subframe/airbox, swingarm and alutank )

The Shop

Banana_oil
1/1/2015 1:18pm
Post more, luckynino!! Perhaps, show us your helmet collection? I see a few cherries on the shelf! BTW, sorry to hear about your wife's illness---but very...
Post more, luckynino!!

Perhaps, show us your helmet collection? I see a few cherries on the shelf!

BTW, sorry to hear about your wife's illness---but very cool that she has a husband that keeps her going!
Interesting about the higher hpp, haven't measured that yet.

The head of my kit is not changed so they must have used either a lower piston or a shorter conrod to avoid the piston hitting the head. So then the port timing would be identical. Rinaldi used to lower their cylinders aswell and use a lower piston. Then maybe they did this was to get lower crankcase volume?
luckynino
1/1/2015 2:04pm
A shorter stroke doesn't make much sense. Todays bikes have longer rods for longer flush times...lowering cylinders is usually used to gain low-end which on a MX 125 isn't really what you need. Maybe for enduro/woods riding but not on a MX track.

Dutchman
1/1/2015 3:12pm
vascular67 wrote:
my bike.... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/01/75607/s1200_IMG_1968.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/01/75608/s1200_IMG_1975.jpg[/img] It's CR 125 Mugen VRP alu frame ( Frame , Subframe/airbox, swingarm and alutank )
my bike....

It's CR 125 Mugen VRP alu frame ( Frame , Subframe/airbox, swingarm and alutank )

Awesome bike Vascular67! Nice suspension setup as well.

Acerbis made special front number plates for the vented VRP fuel tanks:

1/2/2015 2:13am
vascular67 wrote:
my bike.... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/01/75607/s1200_IMG_1968.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/01/75608/s1200_IMG_1975.jpg[/img] It's CR 125 Mugen VRP alu frame ( Frame , Subframe/airbox, swingarm and alutank )
my bike....

Dutchman wrote:
Awesome bike Vascular67! Nice suspension setup as well. Acerbis made special front number plates for the vented VRP fuel tanks: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/01/75671/s1200_IMG_0037.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/01/75672/s1200_IMG_0039.jpg[/img]
Awesome bike Vascular67! Nice suspension setup as well.

Acerbis made special front number plates for the vented VRP fuel tanks:

Thanks.

It's wp 4054 adjuster front fork , Alu work tripleclamp, Ohlins rear shock.

Banana_oil
1/2/2015 2:25am
luckynino wrote:
A shorter stroke doesn't make much sense. Todays bikes have longer rods for longer flush times...lowering cylinders is usually used to gain low-end which on a...
A shorter stroke doesn't make much sense. Todays bikes have longer rods for longer flush times...lowering cylinders is usually used to gain low-end which on a MX 125 isn't really what you need. Maybe for enduro/woods riding but not on a MX track.

The stroke will not change with shorter rod. Well, there must be some sense in this mod as I have seen three mugen kits with this mod aswell as the rinaldi YZ's and I'm curious to find out.

Anyway, I shimmed up my cylinder with thicker gasket material to standard height and it runs great! Big difference compared to stock. For comparison it runs pretty similar to my stock YZ 125 97. Though I have not all the mods that you have Nino. I run stock carb and exhaust valve, Boyesen rad valve, HGS pipe and ported intake (wider).
vmx3
1/2/2015 8:42am
Those VRP's are works of art, it's a pity that they don't make those parts anymore as there is probably more of a market for them now then there was then with the EVO crowd
luckynino
1/2/2015 11:12am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2018 3:09am
@Dutchman:
that's exactly the numberplate i was running back then Wink

luckynino
1/3/2015 2:31am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2015 5:52am
luckynino wrote:
A shorter stroke doesn't make much sense. Todays bikes have longer rods for longer flush times...lowering cylinders is usually used to gain low-end which on a...

Banana_oil wrote:
The stroke will not change with shorter rod. Well, there must be some sense in this mod as I have seen three mugen kits with this...
The stroke will not change with shorter rod. Well, there must be some sense in this mod as I have seen three mugen kits with this mod aswell as the rinaldi YZ's and I'm curious to find out.

Anyway, I shimmed up my cylinder with thicker gasket material to standard height and it runs great! Big difference compared to stock. For comparison it runs pretty similar to my stock YZ 125 97. Though I have not all the mods that you have Nino. I run stock carb and exhaust valve, Boyesen rad valve, HGS pipe and ported intake (wider).
Actually i know it only the other way round: longer rods for longer time of flushing just like actual KTMs that have a 5mm longer rod...

Anyway: i didn't perform such drastic modifications. I concentrated on getting the best performing setup from intake to exhaust.

When you say you still use stock carburetor and stock valves i can tell you that you miss a whole lot of ponies hidden in there.
A bigger 38mm carb let's it breathe a lot better and adds a healthy dose especially mid-top. I also tried a modern PWK Air Striker carburetor everyone raves about but i still haven't found a carburetion that can match the performance of my 23 year old Keihin PJ Wink However with bigger 38mm carbs i noted a slight hesitation right around the moment you enter the powerband. Not really a bog but really just a hesitation. I was able to get rid of it though by having the HPP a little later by adding a little preload to the governor down in the engine. This makes for a much more linear powerband.

HPP governor with the two shims that get added:

Modified HPP governor with added preload for later opening of the valves:

You can also change opening timing by installing those adjustable HPP covers by Wirtz or HPR. But those springs are a little weak and only allow for smaller changes but this way it's done easily on the track:
Wirtz HPP cover

On the intake side i use either Mototassinari VForce3 or lately a heavily modified Boyesen RAD. The stock Boyesen RAD reedblock had really ugly edges around the rubber collector between carburetor and the aluminium casting. I got rid of that by cussting the whole thing off and instead adapting the stock rubber collector to it.

A look into the stock Boyesen RAD reedblock...note that ugly edge all around

My modified Boyesen RAD. Also note the extremely rough inside. Instead of peoples believe a rough surface actually helps airflow (Golfball principle):

The Boyesen this way adds in the middle without any downside elsewhere when compared to the VForce3.

As far as the HPP valves are concerned you might try those off '98/'99 models as they definitely offer the best performance of all HPP valves. They have that L-shape which makes for a much better seal when closed thus improving low-end and when compared to 90-92 the guides are much slimmer which improves top-end dramatically.

1998-1999 HPP valves&guides. Note the L-shape which makes for much better seal right where the red arrow points to.With older valves you usually have a opening there where exhaust gas blow by. These valves fit in ALL HPP engines and really make a difference (also on my Mugens):

newmann
1/3/2015 8:24am
luckynino wrote:
Main diffence between a 4-stroke and a 2-stroke? The pipe, smell and sound So i thought maybe you like to see how my coned pipe got...
Main diffence between a 4-stroke and a 2-stroke?
The pipe, smell and sound

So i thought maybe you like to see how my coned pipe got made:
Usually i use italian Messico exhausts as they proved to offer best performance with my Mugen engines. I have tried a lot of different exhausts but the italian beauty simply offers the best package: awesome mid and top with great overrev.

I have a total of 13 exhausts for three 125cc Hondas...not a bad collection Wink Obviously missing are the 3 Messico exhausts that are mounted on my bikes plus one Pro Circuit which i have in a box with spares:

So since i will stick only to the best the others will collect dust hanging on the wall...i won't use the others again since i now have 3 Messico pipes which already look awesome:

BUT - i still looked for that special coned pipe. Problem is Scalvini pipes don't perform. I was lucky to got to know a young Italian though italian MXBars forum. That guy was doing such coned pipes upon demand. I asked if he would do me a coned pipe for my bike with the measures of a Messico and he said "no problem" since he too had a CR 125 and also used a Messico before. So he had it on hand to take measures. I further asked him to change shape so i would be able to mount that exhaust not only on the '90 VRP but also on my current AF bike with the CRF chassis. That bike has the radiators sitting lower than the old VRP therefore the exhaust needed to have a different bend. After some measuring and sending pictures of my modern bike he started my custom exhaust:

Computer drawing:

Cutting all the segments (there's another pipe on that same sheet)...looks like a puzzle Wink

Laid out:

1st step are some cones:

Backjard workshop:

Some details:

It starts to look like a pipe:

Custom handmade by a 19 year old...Italian Cristian Massaua is the man who did this MRP pipe (Massaua Racing Pipe)

I just like the look:

And here's how it sounds:
If you sound closely you can detect that irritating sound off the vibrating glide plate i mentioned before. It was when i did this video that i detected the glide plate beeing the reason for the annoying sound which basically ruined my day on the 1st outing with the rebuilt VRP.
Hope you gave that 19 year old a generous tip for building that! He obviously has some pretty high tech equipment at his disposal, but there is no denying the craftsmanship that went into that. Good stuff. You are really making me wish I hadn't gotten rid of my Mugen of that era....Sad
1/3/2015 9:39am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2015 9:41am
I run the '99 power valves in my modded '91 Cr134.
Once its on the pipe, it really pulls like a train.

Newmann - was it you the had the on-the-line bike?
That was an epic machine, I think everyone still wishes you had it.
1/4/2015 11:11am
Very impressive work!

Checked out the Messico pipe online and there are 2 different versions. Is there any difference i performance between the two or is one of them just a nicer build with finer materials?

Regards Marco
MaxPower
1/4/2015 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2015 3:06pm
That cone exhaust puts the bike over the top
Redrcr34
1/4/2015 8:23pm
Niño, thanks for sharing. What an awesome bike!
luckynino
1/4/2015 9:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2015 10:03pm
Very impressive work! Checked out the Messico pipe online and there are 2 different versions. Is there any difference i performance between the two or is...
Very impressive work!

Checked out the Messico pipe online and there are 2 different versions. Is there any difference i performance between the two or is one of them just a nicer build with finer materials?

Regards Marco
I don't remember anymore. I always used the "racing" and was told that it is done i a rather thin material which is said to be important for the resonance of the waves...anyway - as you can see i really tested a lot of different pipes and the Messico is the one that stands out.

I'd rate the FMF Fatty pipe second. The Messico has just a little more mid-top. Bolting it on is like waking up of the engine.
Regarding the weight the Messico is also lightest and combined with the DLR silencer below we look at almost 1 lbs of weight saving.

Messico exhaust:

I actually don't like the Messico silencers too much. Performance-wise there isn't a whole lot to be gained with a silencer anyway and i tested a lot of them as well. A winner was the italian DLR. (Di Leone Racing). DLR was THE silencer used in MotoGP when they still raced with twostrokes. All Aprilia factory bikes had them as well as many other teams. As mentioned this is the only silencer i could really tell a difference in performance. And the weight is also lower when you use the carbon version. I add that steel band just for security reasons as i once broke off the carbon thing that attaches the silencer body to the bike. But that was after years of use.

DLR Carbon

FMF Powercore

Messico

MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
1/5/2015 11:59am
This is one of the coolest threads I have ever seen on the Internet! Great stuff!!!!
1/6/2015 12:35am
This thread has me spent like a night of hard lovemaking lol. Just sheer awesomeness in every way. That fucking expansion chamber is the tits!
luckynino
1/6/2015 2:16am
A little more insight on VRP:

As mentioned already VRP stands for Verona Racing Parts and is a small company in northern Italy. The main man behind is Carlo Verona who back in the 80s-90s was famous for doing those aluminium gas tanks and rear subframes on offroad machines. But few avtually know he also worked for HRC and Kawasaki, he did custom bikes for the Paris-Dakar Rally, he did those sweet aluminium chassis , but he also did his own 125cc cylinders back in the day. He had his own dyno and was also doing very fast engines.

So fast that he decided he would do his own 500cc Grandprix roadracer. Chassis & engine...all made by VRP !

Anyway - Here's an article on that VRPs 500cc roadracer back in the day.
-----> Remember - ALL done by the man himself : chassis & engine !!

luckynino
1/6/2015 2:31am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2015 2:44am
Sorry for even more off-topic:

These days Carlo Verona is still into racing. But he moved his interest onto speedboats where his engines won several worldchampionships already:

Serious power inside....

The man himself wrenching... Wink Just watch the cylinder that other guy has in hand

Il capo: Carlo Verona

Banana_oil
1/6/2015 9:13am
Not bad building a gp 500 by one man! Did it have any success?
luckynino
1/6/2015 9:21am
Banana_oil wrote:
Not bad building a gp 500 by one man! Did it have any success?
Nah-not really. In the end there wasn't enough money to further invest in testing etc.

Yeah-it's impressive. Reminds me of Kiwi John Britten who did a whole superbike which in the end also won the Indy 500 against worksbikes from Ducati. That was even more impressive

The Britten-Story (awesome to watch):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9N1gfLQ--k
Ewan
1/7/2015 3:18pm
Nino, love your bike, your Mugen collection and the fact that they get ridden!

The Britten story is incredibly inspiring and also just as sad that he was taken so young when there was still so much more to achieve.

PS does your pipe builder take commissions or was that cone pipe a favour just for you? Been searching for someone to build a pipe as pretty as that for my 91 KX
luckynino
1/7/2015 10:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2015 9:03am
Ewan wrote:
Nino, love your bike, your Mugen collection and the fact that they get ridden! The Britten story is incredibly inspiring and also just as sad that...
Nino, love your bike, your Mugen collection and the fact that they get ridden!

The Britten story is incredibly inspiring and also just as sad that he was taken so young when there was still so much more to achieve.

PS does your pipe builder take commissions or was that cone pipe a favour just for you? Been searching for someone to build a pipe as pretty as that for my 91 KX
Cristian Massaua is back at university studying and is not doing any pipes anymore. Immediately after i showed pictures of my pipe in other forums there were guys wanting some for their Vintage bikes but as said Cristian just went back to University and is not doing them anymore.At least not for the moment.

In Holland there's another pipe maker who does such pipes for Vintage/Evo bikes. I have his contact somewhere.Or you can go through MX Legends on Facebook. Paul Dean is the man behind MX Legends who sells those pipes and is a specialist for these kind of bikes. He did my graphics too. By the way - MX Legends is in the UK.
EL Sammo
1/8/2015 1:57am
That cone pipe really is beautiful, amazing work.
Dutchman
3/30/2015 8:44am
Found this picture of an VRP cr250 online:

"In 1990, On The Line Line Racing imported Verona Racing Products (VRP) aluminum Honda frames from Italy. Initially they cost $6000 for the frame, but the eventual consumer price was $3500 (minus swingarm and subframe). A VRP swingarm was $550, the subframe $175 and aluminum gas tank $390. Given that this was seven years before Honda made their first aluminum frame — was was a bargain."

Link to the picture:
http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-page/mxas-gyro-gearloose-invention-o…

Post a reply to: 1990 VRP Mugen 125 - rebuilt

The Latest