1989 kx 250 tear down / build finished! I"m a Tool...

sandman768
Edited Date/Time 11/16/2017 11:28am
Been looking for one of these for a while now, the 89 does not pop up to often around the northeast. I owned & raced 89, 90 & 91 kx 250"s, back when they were new. I really liked the 89 the best. Took the 3 hr drive to look at this one, price was right, so, here we go. Just got it yesterday, Chassis teardown today. Kawasaki guru"s feel free to chime in with advice, This is my first kaw restore.

Both radiators are in very good condition, radiator grilles are also good. Stock pipe is prett good, could be blasted/ painted but I" m looking for a pro circuit pipe.

Foot pegs & brake pedal very loose & sloppy. Do newer kx foot pegs fit?
|
sandman768
1/8/2016 7:11pm

Not a good sign!

Of course it needs, levers, grips & bars!

Just like my bike in 1989 all the subframe nut inserts are stripped or spinning, I used to borrow the tool kit to replace these from a neighbor, Looks like I will be buying the kit now!

Side panels look original, looks like a fork update? I don't remember my 89 needing a fork update from kaw?
Original silencer & rubber connector
sandman768
1/8/2016 7:24pm

Dirt in the air boot, looks like it will be a full engine rebuild now

Engine out!

No frozen bolts yet!

Spoke to soon, rear axle frozen in swing arm , soaked with pb blaster let it sit overnite.

quicken
1/8/2016 7:35pm
89 KX250 is a great bike to restore...I'm keeping my eyes open for one as well.

MC 88-10 was a damper rod replacement. The piston wasn't machined properly.

The Shop

Manbearpig
1/8/2016 7:41pm
Sweet! The 89 was one of my favorite bikes as well. Those forks were amazing. I'm stoked for you and excited to see the progress.
sandman768
1/8/2016 8:06pm
quicken wrote:
89 KX250 is a great bike to restore...I'm keeping my eyes open for one as well. MC 88-10 was a damper rod replacement. The piston wasn't...
89 KX250 is a great bike to restore...I'm keeping my eyes open for one as well.

MC 88-10 was a damper rod replacement. The piston wasn't machined properly.
Awesome, I knew someone would be all over that! Thanks!
sandman768
1/8/2016 8:18pm
Manbearpig wrote:
Sweet! The 89 was one of my favorite bikes as well. Those forks were amazing. I'm stoked for you and excited to see the progress.
I just missed a few of these bikes for sale in the last few years, I made sure I picked this one up, teardown is fun, but gathering parts & restoring all the sub assemblies usually takes me about 6-10 months depending on parts availibility. I usually restore Suzukis but this was one of my favorite bikes, I remember MXA said it had a soft power delivery but I felt fight at home on this bike and yes, the forks were great.
sandman768
1/9/2016 2:46am

Still has both original chain rollers! Never been removed, green paint came off from behind the washer/bolt.

Pipe mount was welded at some point, not very good.

Jmcd1988
1/9/2016 5:05am
I have a few parts left from parting out a 91. Some OEM seals and engine mounts. If you want them pay shipping and I'll send them your way.
sandman768
1/9/2016 5:51am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2016 6:17am
Jmcd1988 wrote:
I have a few parts left from parting out a 91. Some OEM seals and engine mounts. If you want them pay shipping and I'll send...
I have a few parts left from parting out a 91. Some OEM seals and engine mounts. If you want them pay shipping and I'll send them your way.
Just working on the initial parts list now, I do need a front engine mount as the rt side mount is broke, brct appears to be 89 only as per Partszilla, I"m sure one will pop up on eBay. I"ll keep you in mind, thanks.
sandman768
1/9/2016 6:22am
ibpassngas wrote:

Great ACR Vintage 80's class bike. Bring it out.
I"ll be at Acr southwick for sure, not sure if it will be on the kx, these builds always seem to run into delays, I have learned to take my time, do it right the first time & enjoy the entire process.
sandman768
1/11/2016 4:33pm

Frame ready for sandblast & welder, ordered tool to replace the stripped out blind nuts on subframe

Rear wheel is rough, seized spokes, bearings wasted, axle was frozen due to lack of grease, was able to get it out with pb blaster & heat with impact gun & light hammering. Front wheel slightly better but, I"ll be sending these hubs to Krs wheels in Pa. For new hoops.

All swing arm & linkage bearing were hammered, if they were ever greased it was a long time ago!
sandman768
1/11/2016 4:49pm

Looks like crank was rebuilt with hot rods kit, cases stained bad from never being cleaned, need to find a vapor blast guy, I don't think soda blast is going to touch this.

Previous owner said he rebuilt the motor, piston was newer, but the dirt in the air boot was never cleaned out, either was sucking past the poor filter oiling or from the air box to boot junction, I do remember having to seal the junction with silicone back in those days. The cylinder plating is hammered! Looks like the guy rebuilt the motor without replating the cylinder or cleaning the power valves! Unfucking believable!

Main power valve, I"ve already soaked & cleaned a little, still have more crud to get off, the sub port valves cleaned up good, some slight grooving from sticking due to carbon build up, these valves are NLA, so I will try to clean up the grooves with a very small dremel bit

sandman768
1/11/2016 4:55pm

Cylinder plating is hammered! Completely gone around exhaust & intake ports, possible detonation at top of cylinder? Power seal in PA. Does really good work, looks like I"ll be shipping a lot of stuff to Pa.
sandman768
1/11/2016 5:04pm
Still have to split the cases, rod feels tight, hopefully I can just replace bearings & seals, looks like tranny gears are all NLA, a few bad gears could really back burn this project.
Glen
1/11/2016 5:09pm
for the powervalves and anything with a lot of carbon, get a gallon of berryman's chem-dip carb cleaner. Throw the parts in for a few days and you will literally be able to wash them off with water and they'll look brand-new.
sandman768
1/11/2016 5:27pm
Glen wrote:
for the powervalves and anything with a lot of carbon, get a gallon of berryman's chem-dip carb cleaner. Throw the parts in for a few days...
for the powervalves and anything with a lot of carbon, get a gallon of berryman's chem-dip carb cleaner. Throw the parts in for a few days and you will literally be able to wash them off with water and they'll look brand-new.
I have 2, 1 gallon pales I use for my carbs, right under my parts washer! Did not even think to use them! Heading to the garage to drop the main valve in the can! Thanks! They work great on the carbs too!
T.Page
1/11/2016 6:43pm
Cool project Sandman...i like the look. Here is my 88. I will post a picture on your rm thread aswell. I may sell either bike later this spring.

sandman768
1/11/2016 7:05pm
T.Page wrote:
Cool project Sandman...i like the look. Here is my 88. I will post a picture on your rm thread aswell. I may sell either bike later...
Cool project Sandman...i like the look. Here is my 88. I will post a picture on your rm thread aswell. I may sell either bike later this spring.

Awesome. KX! Love the 88-89"s, I like the 88 graphics better than the 89"s. I see works pipe? Mag Clutch cover? Did you build it? C"mon man, some details... I"m looking for at least a pro circuit raw pipe, let alone a raw cone pipe! I"m sort of at that point where I wish I held out for a better condition 89 kx, but they don't come up for sale that often.
T.Page
1/11/2016 7:23pm
I'm not sure what to pipe it is...it was painted when I got it which probably saved it from totally rusting. The covers are stock and painted. Sorry not mag. Yes I built it has, it was hurting when I got it. It's not perfect but I do like the style/looks.
sandman768
1/11/2016 7:46pm
T.Page wrote:
I'm not sure what to pipe it is...it was painted when I got it which probably saved it from totally rusting. The covers are stock and...
I'm not sure what to pipe it is...it was painted when I got it which probably saved it from totally rusting. The covers are stock and painted. Sorry not mag. Yes I built it has, it was hurting when I got it. It's not perfect but I do like the style/looks.
Came out very nice, like the painted engine covers, looks like the factory mag stuff. My stock pipe is in really good condition just needs to be blasted & painted, I"ll use it if I have to, Plenty of time to search for a pipe! Gonna be a while before I think about mounting the pipe! Looks like the Kx 500 shares a lot of chassis parts with the 88-89 250"s, hoping to find some pro circuit foot pegs, my stock pegs are a little worn, once I get a set of foot pegs fitted I can get the frame welds chased, sand blasted & refinished. Does not look like you are riding the RM or the KX. I have an 84 rm 250 that I never even started after rebuilding, bike is like brand new, all my other bikes are build to be ridden. Thanks for sharing photos of your bikes, it"s good motivation to see bikes that have been brought back to life.
T.Page
1/12/2016 3:42am
They have only been ridden around the yard. I do ride a bunch though , just on other bikes.
Manbearpig
1/12/2016 1:27pm
Manbearpig wrote:
sandman768 wrote:
I just missed a few of these bikes for sale in the last few years, I made sure I picked this one up, teardown is fun...
I just missed a few of these bikes for sale in the last few years, I made sure I picked this one up, teardown is fun, but gathering parts & restoring all the sub assemblies usually takes me about 6-10 months depending on parts availibility. I usually restore Suzukis but this was one of my favorite bikes, I remember MXA said it had a soft power delivery but I felt fight at home on this bike and yes, the forks were great.
That's awesome man. Im restoring a 90 RM 250 now. Should turn out good. Those KIPS powervalves are a pain in my ass too. haha. Keep the updates coming
sandman768
1/12/2016 2:57pm
I could not find a decent 89-92 rm to restore in my area, all basket cases. This bike was a running complete bike but after teardown it needs a lot of love. I just ordered a bunch of parts, dropped off frame to get lower cradle sand blasted. I"ll keep plugging along, the updates will be a lot slower now!
Kidkawie
1/13/2016 1:21am
Weld up the footrest mounts before you powdercoat.
sandman768
1/13/2016 5:22am
Kidkawie wrote:
Weld up the footrest mounts before you powdercoat.
Yup, I have lower cradle/ foot peg area blasted, inspected & welds chased on all my vintage restores, nothing like getting it all done & riding it the first time & having the frame break or foot pegs mounts break! Not going to bother with powder coating, I used to be an auto painter, I can do a better job for a lot less. Currently trying to figure out what modern foot pegs I can make work on this bike, any insight? Parts data bases say left foot peg brct is NLA, but I figured out the kx 500 uses the same brct & is still available, comes in grey color not green but I have to paint everything anyway. Thanks for input!
Kidkawie
1/13/2016 6:37am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2016 6:42am
You can find a bunch of aftermarket pegs, IMS, off-name stuff, etc. Those pegs were used on alot of bikes, just search Ebay for "KDX foot pegs".

Not sure what parts database you're using but the new Kawasaki parts diagrams sucks balls. Try using Partzilla instead. Also, search Google using part numbers not by year/model. You'll get more hits that way, same on Ebay. If the part was superceeded you need to search all part numbers separately, titles & descriptions.

For the bracket, if it's not broke just build it up with weld and file it down, you'd be done both sides less than an hour.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n248/Jeekinz/94%20KX250/IMG_6547.jpg

I have a manual I can email you through Dropbox.

sandman768
1/13/2016 7:03am
Kidkawie wrote:
You can find a bunch of aftermarket pegs, IMS, off-name stuff, etc. Those pegs were used on alot of bikes, just search Ebay for "KDX foot...
You can find a bunch of aftermarket pegs, IMS, off-name stuff, etc. Those pegs were used on alot of bikes, just search Ebay for "KDX foot pegs".

Not sure what parts database you're using but the new Kawasaki parts diagrams sucks balls. Try using Partzilla instead. Also, search Google using part numbers not by year/model. You'll get more hits that way, same on Ebay. If the part was superceeded you need to search all part numbers separately, titles & descriptions.

For the bracket, if it's not broke just build it up with weld and file it down, you'd be done both sides less than an hour.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n248/Jeekinz/94%20KX250/IMG_6547.jpg

I have a manual I can email you through Dropbox.

Great info thanks! I have done that on my 96 cr frame. Looks like the rear brake mount can use that same treatment, my pedal is decent but the brass bushings are worn out.
Kidkawie
1/13/2016 7:22am
Yeah, mine was too. I turned a new pivot on my lathe from a bolt and welded it into the frame. You can see it in that same pic.

Post a reply to: 1989 kx 250 tear down / build finished! I"m a Tool...

The Latest