1987 Honda CR250 Project

nine1seven
10/30/2010 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2019 9:08am
Hey guys, I picked up one of my dream bikes awhile back, a 1987 CR250. I've been saving up some cash and rounding up parts to get it restored.

I bought this bike for $800. It is in pretty good shape except for the right side case which is severely corroded. When I started it up, coolant poured out the weep hole under the water pump. Also, the rear rim has a big flat spot on it. It appears to be a low time bike judging by the original tires and plastic. The only aftermarket parts are an Ohlins shock, Renthal bars and a dented Pro-Circuit pipe.

Photobucket

Disassembled:

Photobucket
|
newmann
10/30/2010 7:24pm
Somewhere on here someone was giving a detailed description of the parts required for a 89 water pump cover conversion. I was able to blast mine clean and repair the corrosion. Still planning on replacing it though. Got mine , low hours from the original owner in Houston about a year and a half ago. Fun bike, hard to get used to the bars set back so far !

nine1seven
10/30/2010 7:56pm
Nice looking CR Newmann!

I found an original NOS Mag right side cover at a dealer in NY. Honda no longer makes them so I am lucky to have this one. It is coated inside and out so hopefully it lasts. I'll probably drain the coolant when I put the bike up unless someone knows of a coolant type or method that won't corrode Magnesium.

If anyone out there knows where I could find a new or nearly new OEM seat/cover and Gold DID 18X2.15 36 spoke Rear Rim, please let me know!
Wandell
10/30/2010 8:48pm
Sweet!
newmann
10/30/2010 9:21pm
nine1seven wrote:
Nice looking CR Newmann! I found an original NOS Mag right side cover at a dealer in NY. Honda no longer makes them so I am...
Nice looking CR Newmann!

I found an original NOS Mag right side cover at a dealer in NY. Honda no longer makes them so I am lucky to have this one. It is coated inside and out so hopefully it lasts. I'll probably drain the coolant when I put the bike up unless someone knows of a coolant type or method that won't corrode Magnesium.

If anyone out there knows where I could find a new or nearly new OEM seat/cover and Gold DID 18X2.15 36 spoke Rear Rim, please let me know!
Get the new magnesium side cover powdercoated or put a couple extra coats of paint in the water passage areas.

The Shop

Bill163
10/30/2010 11:22pm
You must have the radiators cleaned out on all CR's with the mag side covers or you will melt pistons all day long.

The top tanks must be cut open and the cores rodded out and re welded.A hot tank will not due..
mosslander
10/31/2010 3:56am
nine1seven wrote:
Nice looking CR Newmann! I found an original NOS Mag right side cover at a dealer in NY. Honda no longer makes them so I am...
Nice looking CR Newmann!

look at E-bay.co.uk
ElkinHammer
11/1/2010 4:58pm
Bill163 wrote:
You must have the radiators cleaned out on all CR's with the mag side covers or you will melt pistons all day long. The top tanks...
You must have the radiators cleaned out on all CR's with the mag side covers or you will melt pistons all day long.

The top tanks must be cut open and the cores rodded out and re welded.A hot tank will not due..
This is true!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
11/1/2010 5:10pm
newmann wrote:
Somewhere on here someone was giving a detailed description of the parts required for a 89 water pump cover conversion. I was able to blast mine...
Somewhere on here someone was giving a detailed description of the parts required for a 89 water pump cover conversion. I was able to blast mine clean and repair the corrosion. Still planning on replacing it though. Got mine , low hours from the original owner in Houston about a year and a half ago. Fun bike, hard to get used to the bars set back so far !

vino3
11/2/2010 9:42pm
You can still get seat covers from Ceet Racing. You will have to stencil the CR logo and Honda logo on the seat cover. I did it to mine. If I could figure out how to include a photo with my post I would show you?

The wheels have two options. You can repair the flat spot (most of the time) in a press with some 2x4's. If there are cracks they may be welded from the inside of the rim. This depends on how much electrolysis has taken place with the rim.

The other option is replacing with a new Excel wheel. You will most likely have to go to a 19inch if you want gold rims. I am pretty sure you can get 18inch silver wheels new. Better tire selection with the 19.
nine1seven
11/3/2010 9:31am
Vino3: Thanks for the info! I bought a seat on eBay to replace the low 125 version, but it was a disappointment as it had some small rips and stains and the foam is worn out. On the positive side, it has the graphics so can copy them. I may have to go with new foam and an aftermarket cover so I'd like to see how your stencils worked.

To post pics on here, go to www.photobucket.com and create a free account. Upload your pics, click on one of them, highlight and copy the HTML text and paste it into your post.

A buddy of mine has a set of excel rims but they are mis-matched differing shades of gold. I thought I could re-annodize them so they match. I just need him to sell them to me for a good price.

I'm going to work on getting the frame and motor restored while I keep looking for parts.

Here is my frame sand blasted, metal prepped and ready for paint:

Photobucket
vino3
11/3/2010 1:15pm
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You should be able to see the Honda logo on the back of the seat cover. I made stencils for both sides of the seat cover and the Honda logo.

You will need to go to the auto parts store and get some vinyl paint to paint in the stencils. When you are done it will look just like the factory.

Ceet racing also has the seat foam for these bikes and they have the optional 1 inch taller foam as well. You will have to special order and it takes about 2 weeks time.

As you can see I had to replace my wheels.
newmann
11/3/2010 1:44pm
vino3 wrote:
You should be able to see the Honda logo on the back of the seat cover. I made stencils for both sides of the seat cover...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You should be able to see the Honda logo on the back of the seat cover. I made stencils for both sides of the seat cover and the Honda logo.

You will need to go to the auto parts store and get some vinyl paint to paint in the stencils. When you are done it will look just like the factory.

Ceet racing also has the seat foam for these bikes and they have the optional 1 inch taller foam as well. You will have to special order and it takes about 2 weeks time.

As you can see I had to replace my wheels.
Vino3 spent some time.....and money! That bike turned out really nice. Very well done.
nine1seven
11/3/2010 1:50pm
Wow Vino3, that is an awesome CR125!

Did you ship your seat base to Ceet and have them put the foam and cover on it or did you do it yourself?

I see you used a 19" rear. Assuming that is the stock hub, what spokes did you use?

Thanks for putting those pics up!
vino3
11/3/2010 2:37pm
I bought the seat foam and seat cover, about $150. Took the seat to an aupolstery shop and paid $20 to have it reassembled. I think it is worth the time you save fighting to strech the cover over the seat. Some aupolstery shops may have matching seat vinyl. To check the color it should match the shock spring and the stock fork boots.

The hubs are stock, just powder coated, (new bearings and seals). I think the spokes are Buchanons? I did not lace the wheels, I had a friend lace them.

Money! Yes it takes money. About $3500 in parts. About 120 hours of my time over a years period. It has been enjoyable.

I have since ridden the bike about 20 times and raced it 4 times. I am racing this weekend!

Thanks for the complements!

Photobucket

nine1seven
11/8/2010 10:16am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2010 5:45pm
I finished painting my frame! It turned out great thanks to my buddy Brian supervising my work! He's definitely a perfectionist. It actually matches the plastic better than the original paint, but that may be because the old paint got darker with age. I installed the frame tag and new races in the head tube.

Photobucket

Here's what it looked like before:

Photobucket

Maybe someone out there can tell me what is up with the forks that came on this bike. These are definitely not stockers. The bike came with an Ohlins shock and the forks are slightly longer and the fork caps have additional adjustments. I am thinking it is preload adjustment. The fork bottoms are different as well. One of the forks is bent slightly so I bought a stock set of 87 forks to replace them. After seeing the differences, maybe I should fix the trick ones that came on it. I just don't know enough about them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

vino3
11/8/2010 6:31pm
Nice job on the frame.

Those forks that the bike came with are junk. They are Showa damping rod forks from an earlier model CR or and XR 600. The cartridge forks have a 17mm hex on top and a 19mm hex on the bottom.
nine1seven
11/8/2010 7:38pm
Thanks Vino! I thought I was on to something, but I guess I'll use the 87 forks. I got them from a local guy for $40 and they are in good shape. How much different is the spring rate/valving on 87 CR500 forks from the CR250 version? I'll have to replace the seals and do some resurfacing of the lowers. I was thinking I would media blast them and paint/clear them so they look like the darker mag works forks.
vino3
11/8/2010 9:58pm
The stock valving in the 87 CR250 / CR500 forks are the same. The std spring rates are different. I do not remember what the CR 500 fork spring rate is. My suggestion to start with would be the following:

10 weight fork oil set at 115 mm from the top
10mm of preload
I do not know what your weight is but I would surmise .42 fork springs, (180 to 200lbs rider). Try the springs that are in the forks first. They may be sufficient.
Compression 5 out

If you know how to disassemble the compression and rebound valving go ahead and do so. Surface both pistons and blow out and clean the shims. Make sure the check valve on the rebound assemble snaps back.

Check for dented sliders and repair if needed (this is why you should run fork leg protectors), they prevent dented sliders. I would not reccomend painting the sliders. The paint and clear coat will wear off quickly and they will look bad. Instead, hard anodize the sliders This protects them and prevents wear as well as reduces static friction.

Run fork boots. You can still get the stock ones from Honda and they will match your bike.
ElkinHammer
11/9/2010 5:17am
I used the the 87 fork internals from a CR 250 on my 1983 CR 125....I used all the parts off the 87 except the lower fork legs so i could keep it a drum brake legal race bike

300zx
11/9/2010 8:36am
I used the the 87 fork internals from a CR 250 on my 1983 CR 125....I used all the parts off the 87 except the lower...
I used the the 87 fork internals from a CR 250 on my 1983 CR 125....I used all the parts off the 87 except the lower fork legs so i could keep it a drum brake legal race bike

Nice job on the resto Hammer.
vino3
11/9/2010 5:45pm
Elkinhammer,

Bitchen bike! Nice 125. Smart move on the fork combination. As long as the bottoming cones fit in the 83 lower sliders. It sounds like you already figured that out.

Why did you go with yellow backgrounds with your 125?
ElkinHammer
11/9/2010 5:57pm
Thanks Vino! but yours is way better! good eye on the backgrounds... I went with yellow because the ARHMA rule... you bike is KILLER!!!!!
nine1seven
11/9/2010 6:38pm
Both are great restorations, guys. I dig the trickery you can do with these older bikes using more contemporary parts like the 87 fork internals on Elkin's 83!

I appreciate the sharing of your expertise, guys and am definitely going to put those tips to good use on my 87 project.
CamP
11/9/2010 8:35pm
Sweet bikes! I have a soft spot for the '87 CR250.
kawboy388
11/10/2010 6:10am
CamP wrote:
Sweet bikes! I have a soft spot for the '87 CR250.
There was a fairly good looking one on the San Antonio Craigslist, a couple days ago,
for 800. I was thinkin' about it for the vintage races that you do (I like how you said they wrap
up before noon, I'm sick of waiting 3 hours between moto's), but my recent medical and
dental bills have me in a bit of a hole at the moment.

CamP
11/10/2010 6:59am
kawboy388 wrote:
There was a fairly good looking one on the San Antonio Craigslist, a couple days ago, for 800. I was thinkin' about it for the vintage...
There was a fairly good looking one on the San Antonio Craigslist, a couple days ago,
for 800. I was thinkin' about it for the vintage races that you do (I like how you said they wrap
up before noon, I'm sick of waiting 3 hours between moto's), but my recent medical and
dental bills have me in a bit of a hole at the moment.

Yeah, the TVRC races are great.

I went to the SA Craigslist to look at the '87 CR250 and found this. MC's PC CR250
newmann
11/10/2010 7:39am
CamP wrote:

I went to the SA Craigslist to look at the '87 CR250 and found this. MC's PC CR250
Friend of mine, he's been selling of some of his bikes for no reason other than he can't turn around in or walk through his garage anymore. He has the matching 125 as well(not Mc's though).
CamP
11/10/2010 7:56am
CamP wrote:

newmann wrote:
Friend of mine, he's been selling of some of his bikes for no reason other than he can't turn around in or walk through his garage...
Friend of mine, he's been selling of some of his bikes for no reason other than he can't turn around in or walk through his garage anymore. He has the matching 125 as well(not Mc's though).
Small world. I have similar space problems. I have three garage bays packed with a couple of cars and eight bikes.
mosslander
11/10/2010 10:45am
nine1seven wrote:
Vino3: Thanks for the info! I bought a seat on eBay to replace the low 125 version, but it was a disappointment as it had some...
Vino3: Thanks for the info! I bought a seat on eBay to replace the low 125 version, but it was a disappointment as it had some small rips and stains and the foam is worn out. On the positive side, it has the graphics so can copy them. I may have to go with new foam and an aftermarket cover so I'd like to see how your stencils worked.

To post pics on here, go to www.photobucket.com and create a free account. Upload your pics, click on one of them, highlight and copy the HTML text and paste it into your post.

A buddy of mine has a set of excel rims but they are mis-matched differing shades of gold. I thought I could re-annodize them so they match. I just need him to sell them to me for a good price.

I'm going to work on getting the frame and motor restored while I keep looking for parts.

Here is my frame sand blasted, metal prepped and ready for paint:

Photobucket
Thank's for that photo nine1seven ! now I will use my motorstand more than put car engines on it so thank's again .
nine1seven
5/29/2011 9:29pm
I have been slacking on posting about this project....

There are a lot of parts that are sold out and not available any longer so I've been scouring the earth looking for NOS parts.

I made some progress on the engine. The main problem was the water pump was leaking out the weep hole. I suspected the right side case would be corroded but wow...Here is how it looked when I started taking it apart.

Photobucket

I am going for a total rebuild on this motor. I split the cases and inspected everything. Alhough this bike would run when I got it, the cylinder had some scratches and scoring, probably from getting hot due to the plugged radiators and corroded water pump. Also, the clutch plates are completely worn out.

I sent the cylinder to US Chrome for re-plating since new cylinders are no longer available. You have to remove all the fittings, studs and power valve seats, etc before they will accept it. The cylinder head and base studs were frozen. I had a hard time getting them out with out breaking them. I was happy when I got the cylinder back, the bore looks like brand new.

After getting the cylinder I mocked the engine back together and media blasted it. I then took it back apart and painted each piece. I was able to get the engine data tag off and back on without damaging it. Here is what it looks like after paint:

Photobucket

Post a reply to: 1987 Honda CR250 Project

The Latest