1987 CR 500 Build

Edited Date/Time 3/20/2018 11:33am
This is the fifth 500 I've built and the nicest one yet. This was a low hour bike someone took the engine out of for a conversion. I scooped it up quick. Those are the original side panels, it was clean.

I bought new oem front and rear fenders, fork boots and clamps, most of the oem mounting bolts and had the suspension freshened up with new seals and fluid.
I also pressed in new linkage bearings. The rear rotor wasn't quite what I liked so I ordered that along with a chain slide, guide and rollers. Lots of elbow grease went into the airbox and swingarm. It's coming along nicer than I expected for being a regular joe.

As far as the engine, my goal Sunday was to install all the new oem bearings and get them painted. I used the oven the heat the cases to ease crankshaft bearing installation and then baked my paint for an hour at 200F. I then assembled the engine with the oem tight and true crankshaft. Its going to have a fresh bore and piston which I'm still waiting to get back. I also have the newer right side cover to install but I need to paint yet. That's todays project. Going for a stock engine, I don't plan to ride this bike.

I ordered a works finish Pro Circuit exhuast, excited to see it on the bike. It should be here Tuesday. My other dilemma is the silencer, it has a nasty mark and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Other than the mark, it's perfect any ideas? I'd like to use it.

I'll pust some glamour shots out in the sun when I get it rolling, need to mount the new rear tire and still waiting on the rotor to get here.

Oh, I'm afraid to peel the sticker off the front plate because Im not sure if the oem paint will stay. Also not happy with the front brake hose, going to be ordering one soon.

|
sandman768
4/27/2015 4:26am
super clean looking bike, be nice to do a restore on something that was not completely trashed! on the front number plate sticker, try getting in real hot with hair blow dryer or heat gun, sticker should peel off nice & ez. Silencer:, if you can take core out from backside, a good autobody/ sheetmetal tech could get that dent out almost perfect, alum. is soft, with a dolly & spoon type tools, that dent can be pushed out then minimial sanding & polishing to outside to look new again. if you try to repair it, donot use anything pointy to push dent out, rounded tip, like end of broom handle...use small block of wood as fullcrum, when prying dent out. good luck, keep update photos coming!

The Shop

4/28/2015 10:52am
sandman768 wrote:
super clean looking bike, be nice to do a restore on something that was not completely trashed! on the front number plate sticker, try getting in...
super clean looking bike, be nice to do a restore on something that was not completely trashed! on the front number plate sticker, try getting in real hot with hair blow dryer or heat gun, sticker should peel off nice & ez. Silencer:, if you can take core out from backside, a good autobody/ sheetmetal tech could get that dent out almost perfect, alum. is soft, with a dolly & spoon type tools, that dent can be pushed out then minimial sanding & polishing to outside to look new again. if you try to repair it, donot use anything pointy to push dent out, rounded tip, like end of broom handle...use small block of wood as fullcrum, when prying dent out. good luck, keep update photos coming!
My brother in law is a body guy, I'll get him on that. I'll try the wife's blow dryer on the sticker as well. Thanks for the tips.

This showed up today directly from Pro Circuit.

5/16/2015 1:03am
wow!! that engine looks amazing! what did you paint it with? or was it powder coated?
if it was painted was it a high gloss paint??
looks cool Cool
5/17/2015 8:35am
wow!! that engine looks amazing! what did you paint it with? or was it powder coated? if it was painted was it a high gloss paint...
wow!! that engine looks amazing! what did you paint it with? or was it powder coated?
if it was painted was it a high gloss paint??
looks cool Cool
Thanks. Yup just paint, it's all about prep and patience.
Cancerman
6/22/2015 10:29pm
Now, the question is, are you going to ride it or is it going into a collection?
ledger
6/22/2015 10:36pm
Don't forget the gas cap Wink lol, very nice bike and dig the look of new gaskets. Great job.
6/23/2015 6:29am
Thanks guys. This one will be a garage queen. I have plenty of riders. I plan to start it, that's it. I have a lot of minor things to button up. I moved it yesterday and the sun was bright, great time for a photo.
Staffy23
6/23/2015 6:45pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/04/27/89052/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/04/27/89053/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

How did you get that swing arm looking soo nice? Was it like that from when you purchased?

Great looking bike by the way, top job!
6/26/2015 4:13am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/04/27/89052/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/04/27/89053/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Staffy23 wrote:
How did you get that swing arm looking soo nice? Was it like that from when you purchased?

Great looking bike by the way, top job!
Just touched with some scotch Brite, it was nice to begin with. Nothing to aggressive.
jtracing6
6/26/2015 7:10am
Lovely, did you get the FMF sticker off the front number plate and the dent out of the silencer?
6/28/2015 9:02pm
I haven't tried getting the sticker off yet. One of the many little things I need to do. I'm in no hurry, I don't plan to ride it. The silencer is as good as I can I get. I'm happy with it. Will post some more pics when done.

The side cover is from a 2001 CR5, bought new from Honda. It's a little wider in the clutch area.
3/20/2018 11:32am
sandman768 wrote:
super clean looking bike, be nice to do a restore on something that was not completely trashed! on the front number plate sticker, try getting in...
My brother in law is a body guy, I'll get him on that. I'll try the wife's blow dryer on the sticker as well. Thanks for...
My brother in law is a body guy, I'll get him on that. I'll try the wife's blow dryer on the sticker as well. Thanks for the tips.

This showed up today directly from Pro Circuit.

Hi i know its an old post but the Rro-Circuit pipe for the 87 CR500 you had in the rebuild post, do you still have the bike and if so could you tell me if it has any sort of dent in it where it sits next to water pump and hoses as i have just bought a new pipe for my resto project and it has a dent as per picture

Just wondered if it is manufactured that way or its damaged, cant find out much this side of the pond.Awsome rebuild just hope mine comes as close to perfect as yours.

Post a reply to: 1987 CR 500 Build

The Latest