1986 MX 250 KTM

jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2168th
Edited Date/Time 3/6/2019 4:53pm
I recently picked up a 1986 MX 250 KTM and started rebuilding it for some Evo racing this summer. I have had to install new plastic, clutch, handle bars, suspension bearings and rebuild the brakes so far. I am currently waiting on graphics and a few other odds and ends. This is the same bike that my brother and dad rode in the 80's. I have been lucky enough to find some decals for the local shop that they rode out of. My goal is to make the bike look like one that they would have rode.The first picture is what it looked like when I bought it. If anyone has any parts laying around for these old KTM's let me know, parts are kinda hard to find.

|
sandman768
4/4/2018 6:29pm
Looks like a pretty good starting point....
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2168th
4/5/2018 6:17am
Yeah it was a pretty good starting point. The hardest part for the old KTMs are finding parts. This one was at least all there. If it turns out as good as some of my other builds I'll be happy.

avmechanic
4/5/2018 9:18am
Some really nice bikes you have there. Best of luck with the KTM. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Greg
wpark89
4/5/2018 11:31am
Awesome....I like to see that a few more 80s KTMs builds starting to come up. It's pretty much a given with any old KTM that you will have to use Andre at:

http://www.enduroklassiker.at

What exactly do you need? Do you have a parts book for numbers?

The Shop

4/5/2018 1:28pm
I have the same bike. Happy to share what info I've learned about these bikes, so feel free to ask. *Most* parts are the same as the 1985 model, but there are definitely exceptions. I've got a PDF file of the repair manual for the bike, and same with parts diagrams.. Let me know if you want me to hook you up with those.

First and foremost - have you inspected the condition of the clutch cover around the water pump seal? The clutch covers on these bikes are magnesium and they rot out really badly if you don't use waterless coolant, like what Evans sells. My bike ran when I got it, but when I went to change the oil, first it pissed a bunch of coolant, then it turned to a milky grey sludge that oozed its way out. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That's when I learned about the clutch cover rot issue. It took me nearly 2 years to track down a NOS alloy replacement cover, which I scored off a guy in the UK, and it wasn't cheap. Here's my old cover next to the replacement cover for reference...

I recently had Rich at DynoPort make me a pipe for the bike Cool

jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2168th
4/7/2018 10:51am
I have the same bike. Happy to share what info I've learned about these bikes, so feel free to ask. *Most* parts are the same as...
I have the same bike. Happy to share what info I've learned about these bikes, so feel free to ask. *Most* parts are the same as the 1985 model, but there are definitely exceptions. I've got a PDF file of the repair manual for the bike, and same with parts diagrams.. Let me know if you want me to hook you up with those.

First and foremost - have you inspected the condition of the clutch cover around the water pump seal? The clutch covers on these bikes are magnesium and they rot out really badly if you don't use waterless coolant, like what Evans sells. My bike ran when I got it, but when I went to change the oil, first it pissed a bunch of coolant, then it turned to a milky grey sludge that oozed its way out. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That's when I learned about the clutch cover rot issue. It took me nearly 2 years to track down a NOS alloy replacement cover, which I scored off a guy in the UK, and it wasn't cheap. Here's my old cover next to the replacement cover for reference...

Thanks for all the help! The clutch cover does have a small amount of corrosion. I’ve cleaned it up and coated it with epoxy paint. I’m pretty excited to get it going. That Dynoprt pipe looks awesome. Did it make a difference in the bike? I was planning on purchasing one
4/7/2018 11:35am
jt.hagerty wrote:
Thanks for all the help! The clutch cover does have a small amount of corrosion. I’ve cleaned it up and coated it with epoxy paint. I’m...
Thanks for all the help! The clutch cover does have a small amount of corrosion. I’ve cleaned it up and coated it with epoxy paint. I’m pretty excited to get it going. That Dynoprt pipe looks awesome. Did it make a difference in the bike? I was planning on purchasing one
Cool, just stay on top of that clutch cover and see what your oil looks like when you change it... and like I said, make sure you're running a waterless coolant!! This is critical.

Honestly, I haven't even started the bike since getting the clutch cover OR the pipe. I've got over 20 bikes and severe ADD haha... So needless to say, lots of projects, most are 90% complete - just gotta focus and finish that last 10% haha. I have DynoPort pipe like this one on a 1992 Husqvarna 360 and love it.. Low end torque for days! I think I paid like $330 shipped on this pipe for my KTM - and FYI, Rich at DynoPort is a great dude but you gotta be patient. Think it was about 2-3 months for me to get this pipe.

I hate to say it, but I've been kicking around the idea of possibly letting this bike go. I love KTM and euro bikes, so I'd really love to get this '86 finished up, since you don't see many of them out there.... but two things I don't have much of are time and space. IF I do end up selling, might you be interested in the clutch cover and pipe?? Again, major IF haha... I also scored a NOS set of Acerbis side panels out of Italy for the bike (not installed)... I see you put new plastics on yours... are those the reproductions from DC? How did they fit??
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2168th
4/7/2018 4:36pm
jt.hagerty wrote:
Thanks for all the help! The clutch cover does have a small amount of corrosion. I’ve cleaned it up and coated it with epoxy paint. I’m...
Cool, just stay on top of that clutch cover and see what your oil looks like when you change it... and like I said, make sure...
Cool, just stay on top of that clutch cover and see what your oil looks like when you change it... and like I said, make sure you're running a waterless coolant!! This is critical.

Honestly, I haven't even started the bike since getting the clutch cover OR the pipe. I've got over 20 bikes and severe ADD haha... So needless to say, lots of projects, most are 90% complete - just gotta focus and finish that last 10% haha. I have DynoPort pipe like this one on a 1992 Husqvarna 360 and love it.. Low end torque for days! I think I paid like $330 shipped on this pipe for my KTM - and FYI, Rich at DynoPort is a great dude but you gotta be patient. Think it was about 2-3 months for me to get this pipe.

I hate to say it, but I've been kicking around the idea of possibly letting this bike go. I love KTM and euro bikes, so I'd really love to get this '86 finished up, since you don't see many of them out there.... but two things I don't have much of are time and space. IF I do end up selling, might you be interested in the clutch cover and pipe?? Again, major IF haha... I also scored a NOS set of Acerbis side panels out of Italy for the bike (not installed)... I see you put new plastics on yours... are those the reproductions from DC? How did they fit??
Yeah I might be interested in the pipe and cover. The plastic is DC stuff,it fits ok. The original side panels I have are in pretty good shape, the only reason I bought new ones is the DC side panels were the only panels that I could find pre-pro ted backgrounds for. I’m having EVO MXmake new decals for it.
Mx746
1/13/2019 1:42pm
Hope you get all you need for parts. I had to give up on my 83125.
barnett468
1/13/2019 3:49pm
I have the same bike. Happy to share what info I've learned about these bikes, so feel free to ask. *Most* parts are the same as...

You do not need waterless coolant to prevent corrosion in magnesium, and there is zero proof that evans coolant prevents corrosion in magnesium, plus evans coolant does not cool nearly as well as a standard 50/50 coolant mix. In fact, there are coolants specifically designed to prevent corrosion in magnesium.

jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2168th
1/14/2019 5:24am
Mx746 wrote:
Hope you get all you need for parts. I had to give up on my 83125.
I actually just sold a 83 125 KTM to a buddy. He has found everything he needed so far.

https://www.enduroklassiker.at/en/

This place has a lot of parts for older KTM's
mb60
1/14/2019 12:40pm
Man Rich can do some beefy pipes. Was always impressed with his work.
BBQkidd
3/6/2019 4:53pm
I am working on a 1985 KTM 250mx resto-mod and would be interested in that pipe F150Motocrosser if you are still considering selling it.. I sent you a PM. Really cool thread jt.hagerty!
Trailrider76
11/19/2023 6:13pm

I just picked up an 86 KTM 250 and I am hoping to get it into working order.

Hey F150Motocrosser,

Do you still have those PDFs of the manuals? They would definitely be a huge help.

Thanks!

wpark89
11/19/2023 6:42pm

You can get all the 84-97 KTM manuals (parts, repair, owners) on an Australian site.  Do a search for “Bolton KTM manuals 84) and you should be able to find them all.

Just finished a 86 80 this fall5B2D0B14-D8B2-45E4-A5A1-595A8C6CB610

moto804
1/7/2024 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2024 8:39pm

20240106 224613

Joining the 86 KTM club (for a 2nd time).  A buddy of mine bought this a couple years ago. He has made a good start on it and has it running fairly well. He is moving and didn't want to take it with him so adding it to my fleet. 

moto804
1/7/2024 8:38pm

20201213 140650

Here is my brother on his 87 KTM 80 back in the day.

We both had 86's but his got stolen so he got a new one in 87 with the USD forks. 

Styling on the 250 and 80 were so close back then.

BBQkidd
1/8/2024 12:43pm
moto804 wrote:
Joining the 86 KTM club (for a 2nd time).  A buddy of mine bought this a couple years ago. He has made a good start on...

20240106 224613

Joining the 86 KTM club (for a 2nd time).  A buddy of mine bought this a couple years ago. He has made a good start on it and has it running fairly well. He is moving and didn't want to take it with him so adding it to my fleet. 

Very nice bike!  There is a guy on the Facebook groups that does reproduction tank badges.  He can do them in most any color you might want and can also match the original very closely.  His name is Ken Anderson.  You can look him up on the KTM oldie groups there..

moto804
1/8/2024 4:47pm
BBQkidd wrote:
Very nice bike!  There is a guy on the Facebook groups that does reproduction tank badges.  He can do them in most any color you might...

Very nice bike!  There is a guy on the Facebook groups that does reproduction tank badges.  He can do them in most any color you might want and can also match the original very closely.  His name is Ken Anderson.  You can look him up on the KTM oldie groups there..

Awesome!  Thanks. That was one of the items I hadn't found yet. 

It's pretty cool that it still has some 80s bling.  Like the blue Alumilite bars and Answer SII silencer. Though the bars have been cut down and will go on a shelf and be replaced by some Renthals. 

Post a reply to: 1986 MX 250 KTM

The Latest