1986 Honda CR250R resto...help with a few parts?

7/27/2015 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2015 12:16pm
Hey guys,

Ok.....I finally made the decision and dove in. At 48 yrs old, I have been riding and racing motocross for 40 yrs, and even though my body (and wife) keep telling me to give it up, I finally caved and agreed to sell my 2012 CRF-250R and go vintage! Going to the Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio a few weeks ago definitely helped push me over the edge! So, this weekend, I purchased a really beautifully 98% restored '86 Honda CR250R that just needs a few final things to make it right. The first thing I am in urgent need of is the air filter cage (or base as Honda calls it). The original Honda part # is 17212-KS6-010 and is not available anymore. If anybody out there happens to have a '86 CR250 parts bike and has a filter cage (or complete airbox with the cage and wing nut) for sale, please let me know. I also would love to have an original '86 silencer, as this bike has a new DG unit on it, but prefer the stocker. Please let me know if you can help me out. Looking forward to the later years of this sick addiction. Thanks!
|
evomx244
7/28/2015 4:32am
Welcome to the club, Mid-Ohio was a blast this year. I believe there is a Mid-West series run by Woody Graves in your area.
Honda88L
7/28/2015 5:29am
evomx244 wrote:
Welcome to the club, Mid-Ohio was a blast this year. I believe there is a Mid-West series run by Woody Graves in your area.
You're getting advice from a hard core VMX guy here...... I will throw in a few things.

1.Partzilla - http://www.partzilla.com/ go to OEM parts and find the part you are looking for. Click on the red part# and it shows you what bikes share the part. In this case the 125, 250, and 500 in 86 all have the same filter cage but it does appear no other years have the same part. It works for obsolete parts too and if they show a price they generally do have the part. I hate websites that let you order and then email saying they don't have it.

2.Marks Vintage - http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi Sign up for access and troll around. You can post a "wanted" add for any part you need. Generally a great group of guys but before you shell out a bunch of cash make sure you check the name under search. They have scams and alerts section where they post on people that screw others over. General discussion has it and a good section where people discuss different things.

I also think the Michigan has a pretty good VMX series they run. http://michiganvintagemotocross.com/gpage4.html 86 CR250 is a great bike. Enjoy
mb60
7/28/2015 10:41am
I have a nearly new stock silencer for a 1987 CR 250. Let me know if it will work on the 86.
7/28/2015 7:50pm
evomx244 wrote:
Thank you evonmx244! You are my Ohio neighbor! Did you race MX at Mid-Ohio? I am planning on attending and racing at Mid-Ohio next year, as that natural terrain track looked like so much fun! will do some research on the Woody Graves Mid-West series...thanks!

The Shop

7/28/2015 7:58pm
evomx244 wrote:
Honda88L wrote:
You're getting advice from a hard core VMX guy here...... I will throw in a few things. 1.Partzilla - http://www.partzilla.com/ go to OEM parts and find...
You're getting advice from a hard core VMX guy here...... I will throw in a few things.

1.Partzilla - http://www.partzilla.com/ go to OEM parts and find the part you are looking for. Click on the red part# and it shows you what bikes share the part. In this case the 125, 250, and 500 in 86 all have the same filter cage but it does appear no other years have the same part. It works for obsolete parts too and if they show a price they generally do have the part. I hate websites that let you order and then email saying they don't have it.

2.Marks Vintage - http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi Sign up for access and troll around. You can post a "wanted" add for any part you need. Generally a great group of guys but before you shell out a bunch of cash make sure you check the name under search. They have scams and alerts section where they post on people that screw others over. General discussion has it and a good section where people discuss different things.

I also think the Michigan has a pretty good VMX series they run. http://michiganvintagemotocross.com/gpage4.html 86 CR250 is a great bike. Enjoy
Thank you Honda88L! I really appreciate your leads on those parts websites, and also for the link to the Michigan VMX. You too are just across the border from me in Ohio....so might run into you in the future. I am going to check out partzilla first and see what I can find. Thanks again!
7/28/2015 8:05pm
mb60 wrote:
I have a nearly new stock silencer for a 1987 CR 250. Let me know if it will work on the 86.
Thanks for the reply and offer on the '87 silencer MB60! In the small amount of research I have done, it seems like the '87 bike was more one off, and not to many parts interchange...but I could be wrong on the pipe and silencer. Could you post a pic of it so I can see what shape its in? and what are you asking for it?
mb60
7/28/2015 8:25pm
mb60 wrote:
mxracer106 wrote:
Thanks for the reply and offer on the '87 silencer MB60! In the small amount of research I have done, it seems like the '87 bike...
Thanks for the reply and offer on the '87 silencer MB60! In the small amount of research I have done, it seems like the '87 bike was more one off, and not to many parts interchange...but I could be wrong on the pipe and silencer. Could you post a pic of it so I can see what shape its in? and what are you asking for it?
MX Racer just google the stock silencer. It looks brand new and I will sell for $ 100.00 shipping included. If it will fit then I will send some picture before the sell.
barkhard696
7/29/2015 8:39am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2015 8:41am
Hi there MXRacer! I used to have an '86 CR250 (which I really miss) and still have an '87, the built on that bike is here on Vital. Both bikes were frame-up restorations.

The pipes are "supposed" to interchange. I've heard several opinions to this effect, but never tried it personally. I would try this on an cheap pipe .. I didn't have the bikes apart together at the same time, but friends who've worked on both felt strongly they would. I hope this is not a half-answer; I think the main issue is not fit, but where the brackets are located.

FWIW, in '87 -- when RJ won just about everything -- he ran a stock OEM silencer on his bucks-up factory bike. So the stock '87 silencers are VERY nicely made, and perform. This is what I have on my '87 (with a PC works pipe). We scored a stock silencer for $100 and considered it an incredible deal.

More parts interchange than you might think. Honda used the same front and rear fender, front numberplate, and radiator shrouds. Most of the good OEM ones are hoarded -- or in the case of the front and rear fender, are $$$ from Soichiro -- but, you can get the UFO versions (pretty good copies, the Orange Mist color is slightly off) through your dealer or that big UK importer who advertises on eBay.

IIRC the HPP is the same -- the cylinder is different, porting on the '87 is meant to be more outdoor-style. I do know the rear shock from the 86-87 will interchange *IF* you're talking about aftermarket shocks with a remote reservoir. Even the PRO-LINK swingarm decal is the same, and still available from Honda.

You can always upgrade to a newer front master cylinder instead of trying to find an OEM master cylinder from the day. We did this on both my '86 and on my '87.

Hope this is helpful! Enjoy the bike, Honda was hitting nothing but home runs during the 80s! What a great time, you'll have a blast reliving it.
vmx3
7/29/2015 8:56am
I'm getting ready to part out an 86 CR250 that I bought to take some spares for my 2 86's
kelroy_leon
7/29/2015 9:07am
I have an '85 or '86 cage in my storage. I will check for you.
7/30/2015 4:28pm
Hi there MXRacer! I used to have an '86 CR250 (which I really miss) and still have an '87, the built on that bike is here...
Hi there MXRacer! I used to have an '86 CR250 (which I really miss) and still have an '87, the built on that bike is here on Vital. Both bikes were frame-up restorations.

The pipes are "supposed" to interchange. I've heard several opinions to this effect, but never tried it personally. I would try this on an cheap pipe .. I didn't have the bikes apart together at the same time, but friends who've worked on both felt strongly they would. I hope this is not a half-answer; I think the main issue is not fit, but where the brackets are located.

FWIW, in '87 -- when RJ won just about everything -- he ran a stock OEM silencer on his bucks-up factory bike. So the stock '87 silencers are VERY nicely made, and perform. This is what I have on my '87 (with a PC works pipe). We scored a stock silencer for $100 and considered it an incredible deal.

More parts interchange than you might think. Honda used the same front and rear fender, front numberplate, and radiator shrouds. Most of the good OEM ones are hoarded -- or in the case of the front and rear fender, are $$$ from Soichiro -- but, you can get the UFO versions (pretty good copies, the Orange Mist color is slightly off) through your dealer or that big UK importer who advertises on eBay.

IIRC the HPP is the same -- the cylinder is different, porting on the '87 is meant to be more outdoor-style. I do know the rear shock from the 86-87 will interchange *IF* you're talking about aftermarket shocks with a remote reservoir. Even the PRO-LINK swingarm decal is the same, and still available from Honda.

You can always upgrade to a newer front master cylinder instead of trying to find an OEM master cylinder from the day. We did this on both my '86 and on my '87.

Hope this is helpful! Enjoy the bike, Honda was hitting nothing but home runs during the 80s! What a great time, you'll have a blast reliving it.
Great info barkhard696! I appreciate you sharing that with me, and glad to hear you still have your awesome '87! I am really looking forward to having some fun tinkering and riding this bike...and as you said, Honda had some magical bikes during the 80's! I am going to first try and find a stock '86 silencer and go from there, and if that fails, I will do more investigating on the retrofit of the '87. Thanks again, it was very helpful!
7/30/2015 4:29pm
vmx3 wrote:
I'm getting ready to part out an 86 CR250 that I bought to take some spares for my 2 86's
Ok great....please let me know if you have an air filter cage and a nice stock silencer you might want to part with.
7/30/2015 4:30pm
I have an '85 or '86 cage in my storage. I will check for you.
Awesome! Please see if you can dig it out and let me know. Thanks!
vmx3
7/31/2015 5:21am
vmx3 wrote:
mxracer106 wrote:
Ok great....please let me know if you have an air filter cage and a nice stock silencer you might want to part with.
Yep I have a filter cage and airbox, the silencer I have is a DG though. Send me a pm and I can get you sorted, I live in Indy and I see you are in Ft. Wayne so I can't see shipping being too much at all.
7/31/2015 3:04pm
vmx3 wrote:
mxracer106 wrote:
vmx3 wrote:
Yep I have a filter cage and airbox, the silencer I have is a DG though. Send me a pm and I can get you sorted...
Yep I have a filter cage and airbox, the silencer I have is a DG though. Send me a pm and I can get you sorted, I live in Indy and I see you are in Ft. Wayne so I can't see shipping being too much at all.
Sweet! I PM'd you.
8/3/2015 1:54pm
vmx3 wrote:
mxracer106 wrote:
vmx3 wrote:
Yep I have a filter cage and airbox, the silencer I have is a DG though. Send me a pm and I can get you sorted...
vmx3....did you get my PM? Haven't seen a response on the filter cage.
jtracing6
8/3/2015 10:24pm
Check out my Facebook page 'Honda CR's 1986'
8/5/2015 7:54am
jtracing6 wrote:
Check out my Facebook page 'Honda CR's 1986'
Thank you jtracing6! I will definitely check your facebook page out.

Here is my new ride....looking forward to getting out on a track!

jtracing6
8/5/2015 9:10am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2015 9:11am
Very nice job you made there.
If you are really stuck I have a load of parts, many NOS but they are back in Spain and I am currently in the UK for a while.
8/5/2015 9:51am
jtracing6 wrote:
Very nice job you made there. If you are really stuck I have a load of parts, many NOS but they are back in Spain and...
If you are really stuck I have a load of parts, many NOS but they are back in Spain and I am currently in the UK for a while.
Thanks! I really would like to get an original '86 silencer....if you have a new or great condition used, let me know.
riv187
8/5/2015 11:19am
Sharp CR! I have a 86 as well. Only changes is the needle per Eric Gorrs book,and boysen reeds. These are a truly awesome all around bike. Mine still uses stock pipe and silencer...it runs so well no reason to mess with it.
Interestingly this bike is soooo easy to ride,, I lent it out 2 times last season to friends who own newer 450s..they entered the appropriate vintage class with our club and both won! Neither had more than 2-3 laps in practice on it and both went out and won against a few skilled riders on similar vintage bikes. This is why I have no numbers on it...I take blue painters tape and put on what they want and just watch and smile Smile

jtracing6
8/5/2015 12:03pm
jtracing6 wrote:
Very nice job you made there. If you are really stuck I have a load of parts, many NOS but they are back in Spain and...
mxracer106 wrote:
Thanks! I really would like to get an original '86 silencer....if you have a new or great condition used, let me know.
Mostly small parts.
8/5/2015 12:24pm
riv187 wrote:
Sharp CR! I have a 86 as well. Only changes is the needle per Eric Gorrs book,and boysen reeds. These are a truly awesome all around...
Sharp CR! I have a 86 as well. Only changes is the needle per Eric Gorrs book,and boysen reeds. These are a truly awesome all around bike. Mine still uses stock pipe and silencer...it runs so well no reason to mess with it.
Interestingly this bike is soooo easy to ride,, I lent it out 2 times last season to friends who own newer 450s..they entered the appropriate vintage class with our club and both won! Neither had more than 2-3 laps in practice on it and both went out and won against a few skilled riders on similar vintage bikes. This is why I have no numbers on it...I take blue painters tape and put on what they want and just watch and smile Smile

Thanks riv187! Your '86 is very sweet too! Enjoyed reading your story along with tuning input on opinion of this bike...and glad to hear how fun and competitive they are. One of the reasons I wanted to go with the Honda, was to honestly see what I was missing back in the day. I was diehard Team Green, and raced Kawasaki KX-125s from '84-88'. During that time, everyone jumped on the horsepower bandwagon of the '84 and '85 KX125s, and then a lot of the riders in my area moved over to Honda in '86-'88. It was very satisfying and motivational back then to be beating guys on the Red bikes that all of the magazines raved on. But, in the back of my mind I always wondered, "what if.....".
riv187
8/5/2015 12:44pm
We followed a similar path. I went from 78 RM125 ,1981 RM125,1985 RM125,1983 KX125,1985 KX125(2),1984 RM250,1985 KTM250,then back to a 1987 KX250 before parking my boots back then. The KX125s from mid 80s ruled !Returning to hobby I also wanted to get a couple old ones like the 83 KX back,,then started collecting others I competed against. This is addicting stuff. I've met Ricky Johnson,and Bailey and there is a reason they dominated 85-87...they had these CRs for weapons. Spike initially jumped on Davids lap when I was getting a autograph..look at his face,Smile Go to youtube and look up supercross races from 86-87. There a Bailey Johnson battle on there that was incredible.

8/9/2015 6:33pm
riv187 wrote:
We followed a similar path. I went from 78 RM125 ,1981 RM125,1985 RM125,1983 KX125,1985 KX125(2),1984 RM250,1985 KTM250,then back to a 1987 KX250 before parking my boots...
We followed a similar path. I went from 78 RM125 ,1981 RM125,1985 RM125,1983 KX125,1985 KX125(2),1984 RM250,1985 KTM250,then back to a 1987 KX250 before parking my boots back then. The KX125s from mid 80s ruled !Returning to hobby I also wanted to get a couple old ones like the 83 KX back,,then started collecting others I competed against. This is addicting stuff. I've met Ricky Johnson,and Bailey and there is a reason they dominated 85-87...they had these CRs for weapons. Spike initially jumped on Davids lap when I was getting a autograph..look at his face,Smile Go to youtube and look up supercross races from 86-87. There a Bailey Johnson battle on there that was incredible.

Yes, it looks like we have a lot in common...and you are not the first to warn me on how addictive this vintage stuff can get! Great pic of you, Spike and the legend David Bailey! I too was blessed to get to meet David Bailey. It was back in '83 at the RedBud National. I was standing along the fence taking pictures of the 500cc practice...and this guy walks up and stands right next to me. I look over at him, and it was David! I struck up a conversation and we talked about practice and the track a little. I then asked if I could take his picture, and he said "sure". I was completely star struck at 16 yrs old, and become a huge fan of his. He ended up winning the 250 class that day too on his #11 works RC250. I have watched the epic battles that he and RJ had in the late '80's on Hondas many times on youtube and enjoyed every second of it! Just to prove how dominate the production based Hondas were back in '86 and '87, Micky Dymond goes from a mid-pack privateer rider, to winning back to back 125cc titles.

Here is the pic I took of David back in '83

He dominated both motos that year at RedBud...and the rest is history

8/16/2015 2:53pm
Thank you vmx3 for helping me with the air filter cage!! I got it on Saturday, and it works great! Looking forward to taking it out to the track soon. I am still in the hunt for a stock '86 silencer...
vmx3
8/16/2015 8:04pm
mxracer106 wrote:
Thank you vmx3 for helping me with the air filter cage!! I got it on Saturday, and it works great! Looking forward to taking it out...
Thank you vmx3 for helping me with the air filter cage!! I got it on Saturday, and it works great! Looking forward to taking it out to the track soon. I am still in the hunt for a stock '86 silencer...
No worries, i'm glad it worked out dude. Small world.
Stan_Bells
8/24/2015 2:04am
mb60 wrote:
mxracer106 wrote:
Thanks for the reply and offer on the '87 silencer MB60! In the small amount of research I have done, it seems like the '87 bike...
I run an 87 pipe on my 86.
The difference is the 86 had a separate "stinger" and the 87 was 1 piece. My 86 silencer fit the 87 pipe the same.
8/25/2015 5:14pm
mb60 wrote:
mxracer106 wrote:
Stan_Bells wrote:
I run an 87 pipe on my 86. The difference is the 86 had a separate "stinger" and the 87 was 1 piece. My 86 silencer...
I run an 87 pipe on my 86.
The difference is the 86 had a separate "stinger" and the 87 was 1 piece. My 86 silencer fit the 87 pipe the same.
Thank you for your input Stan_Bells....right now the bike has a DG pipe and silencer that is two pieces like the '87 system went to. I am thinking about getting a buying mb60's used '87 stock silencer and putting on the bike for now with the DG pipe, and maybe invest in a '87 Pro-Circuit pipe later down the road. I don't like the fit and look of the DG silencer. Does anyone have any feedback on the performance differences between the DG, Pro-Circuit, or stock pipes?
8/28/2015 12:16pm
Thanks to vmx3, I got my air filter dialed in, installed the rim locks that were missing on the new wheels, installed a new PWK flat slide Kehin and Boyesen Rad Valve, and spend hours with a torque wrench going over all the nuts and bolts. My friends at Throttle Jockey hooked me up with some nice new pre-printed digits! I'm about ready for the maiden voyage!

Post a reply to: 1986 Honda CR250R resto...help with a few parts?

The Latest