1985 cr125 Clutch Problems

VitaminG
Edited Date/Time 7/15/2020 7:12am
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of fixing up a 1985 cr125. Just replaced the old clutch basket that was in rough shape, and I'm now having issues putting the clutch back together. There's a clearance from the clutch lifter to the pressure plate that's preventing the clutch lifter from returning. I've installed the springs and torqued everything down to spec to no avail.

Gap from the plate to the lifter (still there with the springs installed):

The clutch lifter has a steel ball in place as per the clymer manual I've been referencing.

On the other side, I've pulled off the flywheel to peek at the lever connected to the clutch cable. The pusher seems a little worn, but the clutch would engage (somewhat) before I took everything apart, so I don't think that's whole issue.

I for the life of me can't figure out what's causing the problem. I'm 99% sure there's something simple I've just overlooked. Any help is appreciated :D

Here's a pic of the bike when I bought it, for anyone interested.

Cheers

|
MaxPower
7/9/2020 5:40pm
I agree with you. It's something simple
Can you clarify the problem a little more?
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
7/9/2020 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2020 6:40pm
The pressure plate has to index correctly on the basket. There should be a mark on the pressure plate and one on the basket that need lined up.
If you don't see any marks, try turning the pressure plate from one position to the next until it seats fully.
TTperra
7/10/2020 3:11am
On first pic it look like the whole pack of friction plates are to far out?
Check washers between hub and basket?
VitaminG
7/11/2020 10:29am
MaxPower wrote:
I agree with you. It's something simple
Can you clarify the problem a little more?
There's a clearance from the clutch lifter (3rd last pic) to the pressure plate (1st pic). You can kinda see the gap in the first pic on the central hole. When the crankcase is put together in its current state, the clutch lever does nothing because of that gap. Pulling in the clutch lever should force the lifter to apply pressure to the pressure plate, and free up the friction plates so the clutch inner hub doesn't spin.

I'm not sure what's causing that gap. My hunch is that the rod that connects the clutch lifter to the mechanism that's actuated by the clutch lever is worn to shit, so the lifter isn't moving as far out as it should.

The Shop

VitaminG
7/11/2020 10:34am
AHRMA361 wrote:
The pressure plate has to index correctly on the basket. There should be a mark on the pressure plate and one on the basket that need...
The pressure plate has to index correctly on the basket. There should be a mark on the pressure plate and one on the basket that need lined up.
If you don't see any marks, try turning the pressure plate from one position to the next until it seats fully.
You're right, I hadn't noticed these before. After taking another look, it seems like the indexes are lining up correctly. I can spin the plate and the hub moves with it with little free play , which leads me to think those grooves are lined up properly. I tried every position, and not much changed.
VitaminG
7/11/2020 10:40am
TTperra wrote:
There is a pretty beefy washer between the hub and basket. In my original post, in the 3rd pic, the darker area in the center of the basket is actually a washer. I forgot to take a pic in the shop today,

I tried installing without that washer present, but I could hear the basket and hub scraping together when one was spinning. They should be able to rotate freely. I tried all of the other washers in the assembly in that spot, but none fit correctly.

I ordered some new thrust washers from honda like 6 weeks ago, still haven't got them. When they finally come in, I'll try one there instead of that thick washer to see if it's an improvement.

VitaminG
7/11/2020 10:42am
I've just ordered a new clutch lifter (on the cable side), and connecting rod from Honda for a 1988 cr125. Gonna see if they fit and improve things. I'll update this thread when they come in.
TTperra
7/11/2020 5:02pm
TTperra wrote:
VitaminG wrote:
There is a pretty beefy washer between the hub and basket. In my original post, in the 3rd pic, the darker area in the center of...
There is a pretty beefy washer between the hub and basket. In my original post, in the 3rd pic, the darker area in the center of the basket is actually a washer. I forgot to take a pic in the shop today,

I tried installing without that washer present, but I could hear the basket and hub scraping together when one was spinning. They should be able to rotate freely. I tried all of the other washers in the assembly in that spot, but none fit correctly.

I ordered some new thrust washers from honda like 6 weeks ago, still haven't got them. When they finally come in, I'll try one there instead of that thick washer to see if it's an improvement.

The part fische show two different washers, maybe different thicknes..
Make sure the washer press against the needlebearing and not clutch basket
wvumounty
7/14/2020 6:52pm
Thick big washer goes between clutch basket and free rotating clutch assembly.
wvumounty
7/14/2020 6:53pm
Try taking ball out and placing in shaft with rod. Then assemble
wvumounty
7/14/2020 7:00pm
Also make sure the clutch basket is seated flush and indexed well with the primary gear and kickstart idle gear
wvumounty
7/14/2020 7:04pm
And pic 4 show the idle gear to not be indexed with the kickstart gear. Idle gear is sticking out too far
wvumounty
7/14/2020 7:08pm
Should be flush like in my pic. Disregard my idle gear as it is damaged and needed replaced.
7/15/2020 7:11am
Does the inner basket spin freely when the center bolt is tightened down? Mine did not. The gear at the back of the basket has worked itself out a thousands of an inch. I wonder if that is the case it is causing clearance issues. Here is a video I made:
Clutch issue

Post a reply to: 1985 cr125 Clutch Problems

The Latest