1983 HRC 500

C2C
This bike appeared on a French forum last week end, his new owner asking details about this "CR"500 he'd just bought as he didn't know anything about mx bikes. So it was war on the topic and the guy stopped posting...
What do you think about that ? Joe, any idea ?

|
newmann
1/30/2017 1:12pm
Wow, neat bike. What's the story? My guess is that it is a factory defect and needs to be shipped to Texas for proper disposal.Smile Need my address?
a22
1/30/2017 6:12pm
That does look pretty much like works 1983 500, Malherbe, Noyce and Thorpe were the HRC riders back then in the World Championship. Check out picture of Thorpe in 83, looks alot like that bike.
Here is link to pic of him : 1983 Works HRC
Front number plate seems exactly the same and the overside rads etc.
and Malherbe, same year Malherbe 83

What's the story with the bike? Anymore info etc? Was the guy sold it as a works bike or just a 'normal' 500 for a bargain price!? Maybe he went 'missing' off the forum because he realised what he had and the attention it may bring!
a22
1/30/2017 6:20pm
^^ First link/ pic doesn't work but the Malherbe one does- if you click on the first link however and scroll down there are a few pics of the HRC boys back in 1983 though.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
1/30/2017 6:49pm
newmann wrote:
Wow, neat bike. What's the story? My guess is that it is a factory defect and needs to be shipped to Texas for proper disposal.:) Need...
Wow, neat bike. What's the story? My guess is that it is a factory defect and needs to be shipped to Texas for proper disposal.Smile Need my address?
Ahahhahha

The Shop

a22
1/31/2017 6:00am
I reckon that could be Noyce's '83 works bike- 'N' on the cylinder.
MaxPower
1/31/2017 8:13am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2017 8:25am
Is that the Malerbe 500 that surfaced a couple years ago where they broke it down to look at all the trickness then built it up again and took it to the track to ride it? I think they even brought Andre in to talk to him.
If its not, its great there is another one still in existance
I wonder if that bike is easier to kick over than the 84 CR500?
I dont believe the owner doesnt know anything about that bike. No one buys a 83 Works Honda off French Craigslist not knowing exactly what that machine is
Its funny when watercooling first came about the thinking of how much air flow was needed to the radiators. The first watercooled bikes all had some kind of crazy vented numberplates.
I was always puzzled why they made tanks on factory bikes so slim, but by the time they made it to production tanks were big and fat
a22
1/31/2017 8:46am
Yes, not sure if it may be Malherbe' bike or Noyce or Thorpe or even another. Wondered what with the 'N' may be a Noyce one. Here is pic of Noyces '83- same rear brake cover etc.
Swing arm poss looks abit different but in the pics of the French bike, shows another swing arm on the floor by the bike.

Yea- me too, not so sure the guy who bought it knows 'nothing' about mx bikes- by the pics he looks to have a pretty good setup, plenty other bikes and some decent equipment etc. Also that bike looks very well looked after- someone selling it to him on French Craiglist or wherever (who didn't know what it was), would imagine may have owned a roach, not a polished works bike!
TTperra
1/31/2017 10:44am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2017 10:57am
Stolen?
If someone stold a bike like that it would be a little hard to sell it for big money, but it would be easy to sell it for fast money to a newbie who dont not know how special it is and thinking he buy a stock CR500.. and then he need some parts and wonder why his bike dont look like any cr500 on partzilla...
Or they understand it is some value in the parts and make some research on a forum and disappear when the discussion gets hot..
Just a thought

Hope i am totally wrong
Sidecar
1/31/2017 2:00pm
Interesting story for sure.... I hope it's not stolen but if I had a factory bike stolen, I would be shouting about it all over the internet and Motocross press etc... I take it nobody is shouting anywhere???
Is the guy still silent on the original forum???
Robgvx
2/2/2017 12:08am
I know a man who would know everything about this bike. I'll let you know what he says.
2/2/2017 8:08am
a22 wrote:
I reckon that could be Noyce's '83 works bike- 'N' on the cylinder.
I think you are correct.

Only Noyce wore ARAI helmet - Thorpe & Malherbe wore MDS.

-see ARAI sticker on front fender.
Robgvx
2/3/2017 10:39am
Straight from the horse's mouth. Walter Fleck was the team coordinator for HRC back then. Here's what he replied to me about these photos.

===================================

Well, it´s hard to answer that question. As from the appereance, yes, it is a ´83 works bike. Some part looks to a particular rider but, i think it is may build out of parts we changed on the bikes.
You may have to know that we calculated the live time of ALL parts. Some of the had to be changed every GP, some of them after some running hours. For instant, a crankshaft and a crankcase had the longest "running time" as well as a rear swingarm. Main chassis frame may had changed after 2-3 GP´s, if no damage was found.
So, what to say now? All parts (we could recollect) after the GP-Season where destroyed at the end of the year (without the exception of 1983, we solve a lot of parts for André Vromans).
Another yes is to the bike of the winning champion. HRC granted a "show bike" to him, with no internal parts in the engine. But if the mechanic of the champion may spared (??) a new or used crankshaft, who knows, a new rebuild engine appereared.
The bike above on the picture, i can´t identify. If you can tell me the chassis number and the engine number, i may know to who we supplyed the parts (or bike) but i can´t tell who rebuild the bike afterwards and may sold it. That´s (for me) is the ugly side of racing.
Whoever, good for the lucky new owner of the ´83 works bike. Enjoy it and.... he is a smart guy, he took off the cover of the waterpump. If he hadn´t, all of the magnesium inside would have disapeared.
a22
2/3/2017 11:10am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2017 11:15am
Robgvx wrote:
Straight from the horse's mouth. Walter Fleck was the team coordinator for HRC back then. Here's what he replied to me about these photos. =================================== Well...
Straight from the horse's mouth. Walter Fleck was the team coordinator for HRC back then. Here's what he replied to me about these photos.

Well, it´s hard to answer that question. As from the appereance, yes, it is a ´83 works bike. Some part looks to a particular rider but, i think it is may build out of parts we changed on the bikes.
You may have to know that we calculated the live time of ALL parts. Some of the had to be changed every GP, some of them after some running hours. For instant, a crankshaft and a crankcase had the longest "running time" as well as a rear swingarm. Main chassis frame may had changed after 2-3 GP´s, if no damage was found.
So, what to say now? All parts (we could recollect) after the GP-Season where destroyed at the end of the year (without the exception of 1983, we solve a lot of parts for André Vromans).
Another yes is to the bike of the winning champion. HRC granted a "show bike" to him, with no internal parts in the engine. But if the mechanic of the champion may spared (??) a new or used crankshaft, who knows, a new rebuild engine appereared.
The bike above on the picture, i can´t identify. If you can tell me the chassis number and the engine number, i may know to who we supplyed the parts (or bike) but i can´t tell who rebuild the bike afterwards and may sold it. That´s (for me) is the ugly side of racing.
Whoever, good for the lucky new owner of the ´83 works bike. Enjoy it and.... he is a smart guy, he took off the cover of the waterpump. If he hadn´t, all of the magnesium inside would have disapeared.
Nice kind of 'detective' work Rob- wondered if you may have known something or had resources to find out more with your background/ contacts etc...
Still abit of a mystery though this bike but nice to read Walters comments.
Wasn't it David Thorpe's works bike that Walter refers to that got given to him and his Dad (the mechanic) without the internals? (also being a later year than this 1983 one); was that the '89 Championship winning bike? If so, not so relevant to this bike in question. Also did Malherbe not get given his works bike before WITH the internals? Was that the one that got torn down and 'inspected'!? Didn't the story go after Malherbe got given his whole, Honda did not want to repeat that scenario(mistake they made maybe, giving a complete works bike to Malherbe), hence that is why Thorpe got his with the internals removed?

Whatever the 'mystery' ..... damn cool bike and era for sure!
Robgvx
2/3/2017 12:57pm
a22 wrote:
Nice kind of 'detective' work Rob- wondered if you may have known something or had resources to find out more with your background/ contacts etc... Still...
Nice kind of 'detective' work Rob- wondered if you may have known something or had resources to find out more with your background/ contacts etc...
Wasn't it David Thorpe's works bike that Walter refers to that got given to him and his Dad (the mechanic) without the internals? (also being a later year than this 1983 one); was that the '89 Championship winning bike? If so, not so relevant to this bike in question. Also did Malherbe not get given his works bike before WITH the internals? Was that the one that got torn down and 'inspected'!? Didn't the story go after Malherbe got given his whole, Honda did not want to repeat that scenario(mistake they made maybe, giving a complete works bike to Malherbe), hence that is why Thorpe got his with the internals removed?

Walter is a good guy. He posts some interesting stuff on Facebook from time to time.

Thorpe got given his '85, '86 and '89, all without internals. All three now sold to private collectors and all three now running again courtesy of more 'stolen' parts. There was a complete RC500 engine for sale on Mastercross a few years ago. Incredible how much stuff went missing... Many, if not most of the factory bikes floating around are made up of parts rather than being a legitimate race bike. Honesty was evidently not a very common commodity amongst 80's mechanics. I had one mechanic who blew my (healthy) parts budget in 3 months once. It wasn't going on my bike, I know that. He didn't work for me for much longer.

I don't know about the Malherbe story sorry.

Walter did say that Jobe tried Andre's bike (without HRC's knowledge) and he was faster than Malherbe...
newmann
2/3/2017 3:21pm
How many works bikes are floating around with actual titles anyway? Always a bit of sketchiness surrounding the origins of most of the stuff that's out there. Not to mention outright lies by some of the collectors as to who the bikes were raced by. You know, national championship winning bikes that in reality are just similar works bikes dolled up (sometimes with the correct championship winning parts) to resemble the actual championship bike. Obviously worth a good bit more money when they have a proper pedigree even if it's fake. Laughing

newmann
2/3/2017 3:29pm
Funny Howerton story. Kawasaki gave him some works bikes and parts to practice with under the understanding that they were to be disposed of when they were worn out or replaced. No big deal, it was junk when he was done so he buried a bunch of junk on his property with his dozer. Years later when works bike were growing in value he was putting together some bikes to sell and was missing a frame. Got out the dozer and start scraping dirt until he snagged a frame and ripped it out of the ground.Laughing

Kawasaki ended up giving him 1983 SR500's for practice bikes when he finally convinced them that he could not practice all week on the overweight, underpowered and ill handling pig of a production bike and be expected to show up and compete on the works bikes. At the end of the season they did not ask for any practice bikes back.
notme
2/3/2017 8:53pm
Great thread here, and I heard about rhinestone hating those production bikes, refused to ride them. Barnett had a bike graveyard too.
AK74
2/4/2017 1:27am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2017 1:32am
Cagiva allegedly 'borrowed' Malherbe's RC500, tore the motor down and copied what they found for the prototype WMX500 they were building. Insofar as I know the bike was returned, but clearly had been dismantled and reassembled.

This wasn't the only time the Italians did this either. Their road-racing efforts in the mid-80s also benefited from some 'technological espionage' which bordered on the unethical (and might have been criminal).
Bearuno
2/4/2017 3:34am
Robgvx wrote:
Walter is a good guy. He posts some interesting stuff on Facebook from time to time. Thorpe got given his '85, '86 and '89, all without...
Walter is a good guy. He posts some interesting stuff on Facebook from time to time.

Thorpe got given his '85, '86 and '89, all without internals. All three now sold to private collectors and all three now running again courtesy of more 'stolen' parts. There was a complete RC500 engine for sale on Mastercross a few years ago. Incredible how much stuff went missing... Many, if not most of the factory bikes floating around are made up of parts rather than being a legitimate race bike. Honesty was evidently not a very common commodity amongst 80's mechanics. I had one mechanic who blew my (healthy) parts budget in 3 months once. It wasn't going on my bike, I know that. He didn't work for me for much longer.

I don't know about the Malherbe story sorry.

Walter did say that Jobe tried Andre's bike (without HRC's knowledge) and he was faster than Malherbe...
Rob,

I recall something about David Thorpe having lent / leased a couple of Honda Engines (from his later years as a privateer, but, reputedly to have some 'special' aspects / parts to them) to one of the British Privateers, that were stolen from the Privateers van in France / some place in Europe.

Am I completely off board with this recollection?
Bearuno
2/4/2017 4:02am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2017 4:16am
AK74 wrote:
Cagiva [i]allegedly[/i] 'borrowed' Malherbe's RC500, tore the motor down and copied what they found for the prototype WMX500 they were building. Insofar as I know the...
Cagiva allegedly 'borrowed' Malherbe's RC500, tore the motor down and copied what they found for the prototype WMX500 they were building. Insofar as I know the bike was returned, but clearly had been dismantled and reassembled.

This wasn't the only time the Italians did this either. Their road-racing efforts in the mid-80s also benefited from some 'technological espionage' which bordered on the unethical (and might have been criminal).
I don't know anything about the Cagiva copying an RC Honda for their WMX500 ( I worked at Ducati Australia when they imported Cagivas - and we sold a few WMX500s - hell, I've still got parts from some Desert Kits we got for them, that I used on one of my RM / XR hybrids).

I think their first effort, in the late seventies / early eighties with 500cc RR, was simply a 500 inline Yamaha engine, with their own frame, and their own parts, plus things like Harold Bartol [ though, they might have been another suppliers, that the name of escapes me right now - Hans Hummel, perhaps?] barrels. In honour of MV, they initially ran the bike(s) in the Red and Silver MV colours. I think they also ran a Square 4, for some time.

They had No need for any 'industrial espionage'. In later years , with their V4s, they got quite a deal of help from Yamaha in particular. and Honda, slightly. Yamaha (or was that Honda's contribution?) presented them with special carb sets that they would never have got, to replace the Dellortos, and gave them quite a bit of info / help with other aspects of engine design. It's been much written about, and quite openly known. The help, kept Cagiva in racing, when they were very close to just giving up.

The Japanese recognized the need / benefit from having another - non Japanese - Team out on the tracks , in the Championships. And, they didn't really fear Cagiva in terms of Rider, or Manufacturers titles - though Lawson won 1 GP for them in '92, and Kocinski won Laguna Seca in '93, and Phillip Island in '94, getting 3rd in the Championships that year in the last year of Cagivas efforts.
Robgvx
2/4/2017 5:27am
Bearuno wrote:
Rob, I recall something about David Thorpe having lent / leased a couple of Honda Engines (from his later years as a privateer, but, reputedly to...
Rob,

I recall something about David Thorpe having lent / leased a couple of Honda Engines (from his later years as a privateer, but, reputedly to have some 'special' aspects / parts to them) to one of the British Privateers, that were stolen from the Privateers van in France / some place in Europe.

If I remember right Paul Cooper borrowed a factory 500 engine for the MXdN. Not sure what engine that was though as his RC's were non-runners at that time. The engine/bike got stolen from Paul's mechanic's workshop...
AK74
2/4/2017 5:46am
Bearuno wrote:
I don't know anything about the Cagiva copying an RC Honda for their WMX500 ( I worked at Ducati Australia when they imported Cagivas - and...
I don't know anything about the Cagiva copying an RC Honda for their WMX500 ( I worked at Ducati Australia when they imported Cagivas - and we sold a few WMX500s - hell, I've still got parts from some Desert Kits we got for them, that I used on one of my RM / XR hybrids).

I think their first effort, in the late seventies / early eighties with 500cc RR, was simply a 500 inline Yamaha engine, with their own frame, and their own parts, plus things like Harold Bartol [ though, they might have been another suppliers, that the name of escapes me right now - Hans Hummel, perhaps?] barrels. In honour of MV, they initially ran the bike(s) in the Red and Silver MV colours. I think they also ran a Square 4, for some time.

They had No need for any 'industrial espionage'. In later years , with their V4s, they got quite a deal of help from Yamaha in particular. and Honda, slightly. Yamaha (or was that Honda's contribution?) presented them with special carb sets that they would never have got, to replace the Dellortos, and gave them quite a bit of info / help with other aspects of engine design. It's been much written about, and quite openly known. The help, kept Cagiva in racing, when they were very close to just giving up.

The Japanese recognized the need / benefit from having another - non Japanese - Team out on the tracks , in the Championships. And, they didn't really fear Cagiva in terms of Rider, or Manufacturers titles - though Lawson won 1 GP for them in '92, and Kocinski won Laguna Seca in '93, and Phillip Island in '94, getting 3rd in the Championships that year in the last year of Cagivas efforts.
Back in 2009 I wrote a not-so-brief history of Cagiva's Racing Division:

http://www.cagivaracing.com/About_CRD.html

I interviewed Jan Witteveen as part of the research, and it was a fascinating conversation with one of the motorcycle racing industry's technical wizards. A real privilege to speak at length with him.

As to what happened with the RC500, I'll not speculate further ;-).
Bearuno
2/4/2017 7:39am
Jan Witteveen - without a doubt, one of The Great Motorcycle Engineers.

It's a pity more Motorcyclists don't know of him.

The last pictures of him I have are when at EICMA, a few years ago, Athena had their 2t EFI / semi DFI set up on display, and Jan was in some way involved with it. He is involved with a Moto 2 team, last I saw.

There was a Fantastic Italian Motocross 'E Magazine , a fair few years ago, that he wrote a monthly / semi monthly column. Always interesting, and always fairly dispassionate on the 4t vs 2t thing, when people thought he'd be nothing but a 2t flag waver. He, early on was saying that 250 4ts were well on their way to mid 50sHP level, and a 2t, had no real advantage over a 4t when it came to max output - not with the revs 4ts could, and had to pull. . It was pretty clear that he knew there was no need for a 2x or 1,75x capacity advantage. In the same article, he then approached the issue of pollution, saying it was the issue so played upon with 2ts. He put forward the, even then, availability (for many years) of what he called 'ashless' 2t oils. He went into the various 'flash points' for complete burn of oils and fuel, and noted the various ways of controlling the other, main pollution aspect of 2ts - bucket loads of un-burnt fuel just exiting the engine. To him, easily controlled, if manufacturers were to be serious about a return to 2ts. But, he noted how things were so artificially stacked against such a resurrection.

I wish I could remember the name of the Italian E mag. For a few years, it was Free. They then finally charged for it, and I happily paid for it, but it was too little, too late, and it folded in another 2 or 3 issues. I'd stored a few years of the mag, but, in one of my computer melt downs, lost all issues. It seriously, blew every other bloody mag, out of the water. Though, the Italian to English translations could be quite entertaining. It would come out about a day or two after a GP, with full coverage, and had so many great articles. Perhaps it was called Motocross International?
Bearuno
2/4/2017 7:54am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2017 7:54am
Robgvx wrote:
If I remember right Paul Cooper borrowed a factory 500 engine for the MXdN. Not sure what engine that was though as his RC's were non-runners...
If I remember right Paul Cooper borrowed a factory 500 engine for the MXdN. Not sure what engine that was though as his RC's were non-runners at that time. The engine/bike got stolen from Paul's mechanic's workshop...
Perhaps Works Support, or 'kitted' Engine(s) from the Cinti Team, that I think were part of his last year or two of GPs?

One would assume, that his Dad , Keith(?), would have know a fair few tricks, and may have had a bit of a stockpile of parts from his HRC days. Though, I know not if they were still working together, at the time. You would have seen Eric Geboers story on Terry Goods site, MXWorksbike.com, with him talking about going out and testing various cranks, snaffling the 'best' of them, and running at least one, well past the amount of races / time the Factory Technicians deemed them to be serviceable. He and his mechanic, were ready to break the rules of HRC, to win. Got to love that.
Sidecar
2/5/2017 12:28pm
Bearuno wrote:
Rob, I recall something about David Thorpe having lent / leased a couple of Honda Engines (from his later years as a privateer, but, reputedly to...
Rob,

Robgvx wrote:
If I remember right Paul Cooper borrowed a factory 500 engine for the MXdN. Not sure what engine that was though as his RC's were non-runners...
Pretty sure Kurt Nicoll had an ex Dave Thorpe factory CR500 motor at the 94 Des Nations when, with Thorpe as team manager and teamed with Rob Herring, 250 Kawasaki and Paul Malin, (Factory Rinaldi) 125 Yamaha they clinched an historic victory.
Bearuno
2/5/2017 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2017 2:40pm
Sidecar wrote:
Pretty sure Kurt Nicoll had an ex Dave Thorpe factory CR500 motor at the 94 Des Nations when, with Thorpe as team manager and teamed with...
Pretty sure Kurt Nicoll had an ex Dave Thorpe factory CR500 motor at the 94 Des Nations when, with Thorpe as team manager and teamed with Rob Herring, 250 Kawasaki and Paul Malin, (Factory Rinaldi) 125 Yamaha they clinched an historic victory.
I'd not be surprised by that - with him either getting engines / parts from Thorpe, or, simply through him being with Castrol Honda Britain, as their official 250 GP entrant. HRC kits also were available to many - even I think privateers, but with a variety of levels, with various qualifications required to get the 'trickest' parts, I think. Someone like Rob here would know those sort of details pretty well, I'd think.

It's funny how I never saw much, or any mention of various factory kits available for sale in the US. For those not knowing of the sort of kits I'm referring to, they were a bit like the GYTR (is that the correct acronym?) parts you can get now - well, I think they used an acronym similar (the same?) for bits way back in the 70s for 'special' OEM Yamaha parts.

It seems every picture I've got of Kurt from the '94 MXDN is from the RH side, or something obscures the barrel in the LH side pics I have, so I've not been able to see if he had the barrel with that neat, HRC decompressor on it.
3/2/2017 2:26am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2017 2:42am
Robgvx wrote:
Straight from the horse's mouth. Walter Fleck was the team coordinator for HRC back then. Here's what he replied to me about these photos. =================================== Well...

a22 wrote:
Nice kind of 'detective' work Rob- wondered if you may have known something or had resources to find out more with your background/ contacts etc... Still...

hello guys my name is didier and i am french

sorry for my English , i fall on this conversation and i see you have a contact with a person of HRC ask him if he don't remember in 83 or 84 i am not sure of the year but two of these bikes ( malherbe) have been stolen on the track of " salindre " in the South France during the awards in the hrc truck, and never found after it was on a national race before the season of GP

Post a reply to: 1983 HRC 500

The Latest