1982 RM250 Winter Project

Rocky739
5/7/2018 4:30am
Fusion one pipe repair could have that pipe looking new.
Bent206
5/7/2018 9:03am
Rocky739 wrote:
Fusion one pipe repair could have that pipe looking new.
It'll have to wait until fall!! I'm not pulling it back off until I've ridden it. Ha Ha
TRM250Z
12/14/2018 7:42am

Bent206, great posts - Thank you! Hope you continue! I have an 82 RM250 that I pulled out of the garage after 20+ years. In decent shape but cannot for the life of me find the trans oil capacity and type. Please do tell!

Also, where'd you get the seat frame??

Thank you!!
Bent206
12/14/2018 11:28am
TRM250Z wrote:
Bent206, great posts - Thank you! Hope you continue! I have an 82 RM250 that I pulled out of the garage after 20+ years. In decent...

Bent206, great posts - Thank you! Hope you continue! I have an 82 RM250 that I pulled out of the garage after 20+ years. In decent shape but cannot for the life of me find the trans oil capacity and type. Please do tell!

Also, where'd you get the seat frame??

Thank you!!
You'll find the oil capacity cast into the side case behind the kickstarter. I just use regular motor oil in mine.

I'm not sure what you mean by seat frame. I'm using the OEM seat pan with a "safety seat" foam/cover.

The Shop

TRM250Z
12/14/2018 3:44pm
Thank you for the quick reply and photos!! I'm a knucklehead for not seeing "800ml". Hopefully I just forgot and can blame it on old age.

My seat pan is much shorter and does not "ride up" on the tank. I didn't know the longer seat was an option.

Do/did you ever have a problem with the rubber oil fill plug coming loose? I decided to go with aluminum and o-ring. One too many times I looked down and the plug was missing or ridiculously loose.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!!

T
Bent206
12/15/2018 6:32am
TRM250Z wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply and photos!! I'm a knucklehead for not seeing "800ml". Hopefully I just forgot and can blame it on old age...
Thank you for the quick reply and photos!! I'm a knucklehead for not seeing "800ml". Hopefully I just forgot and can blame it on old age.

My seat pan is much shorter and does not "ride up" on the tank. I didn't know the longer seat was an option.

Do/did you ever have a problem with the rubber oil fill plug coming loose? I decided to go with aluminum and o-ring. One too many times I looked down and the plug was missing or ridiculously loose.

T
My seat pan doesn’t go up the tank either. You can see in this photo only the foam and cover extend up the tank.

My oil plug is plastic. Maybe it was changed at some point to a later model?

Good luck with your build. Post it on Vital!
TRM250Z
12/15/2018 4:20pm

Can in no way compare to your resto. Do not have the capability (also 3 children and couple of jobs, but mostly capability), but got it running today! Amazing that it could sit for 20+ years and crank right up. Most major new item to get it running was air cleaners. Sprayed carb, cleaned bowl, checked reed valves, changed oil (800ml - thank you) & anti freeze, added some zip ties and WANG, wang, wang wang wang!

Next is seat and rear fender, front brake and new throttle tube. Will replace chain, bearings and brakes in the near future, but for now am amazed at how well it runs. Ran it decently hard back in the day and just kinda left it alone.

If you have any pointers on lubing the swing arm, please share.

The side scrape came from an auto accident while it was being transported on trailer. A friend fell asleep while driving, went off the highway, woke up, over corrected, whiplashed the trailer, trailer disconnected and landed upside down on this bike and skidded down the road. Left side handle bar was bent back. We heated it up and bent it back. Started right up though!

Thank you!

T
JMCR250
12/16/2018 10:01am
Great project. Those of us who have done these projects, feel the pain and satisfaction you've documented here. As I write this, I have an '82 CR250 down to the frame in my basement that needs a bore/top end, suspension seals/updates and some cosmetics work (number plates, fenders, etc.) It will be a racer too, like yours. Many hours of frustration followed by great satisfaction when you reach milestones and finally get the bike outside and running. Well done - you've got a beautiful RM.
Bent206
12/16/2018 2:30pm
JMCR250 wrote:
Great project. Those of us who have done these projects, feel the pain and satisfaction you've documented here. As I write this, I have an '82...
Great project. Those of us who have done these projects, feel the pain and satisfaction you've documented here. As I write this, I have an '82 CR250 down to the frame in my basement that needs a bore/top end, suspension seals/updates and some cosmetics work (number plates, fenders, etc.) It will be a racer too, like yours. Many hours of frustration followed by great satisfaction when you reach milestones and finally get the bike outside and running. Well done - you've got a beautiful RM.
Thanks! In the end it was worth it. Always a few hiccups with a 30-40 year old builds. I does make it more satisfying.

Post up your ‘82 CR build. That was the DeCoster era at Honda. Yours is the first year their bikes really started coming together in the 80’s.
Sully
12/16/2018 3:28pm
TRM250Z wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply and photos!! I'm a knucklehead for not seeing "800ml". Hopefully I just forgot and can blame it on old age...

T
Bent206 wrote:
My seat pan doesn’t go up the tank either. You can see in this photo only the foam and cover extend up the tank. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/15/310274/s1200_F1813979_0155_4773_83F3_D83E01AAD024.jpg[/img] My...
My seat pan doesn’t go up the tank either. You can see in this photo only the foam and cover extend up the tank.

My oil plug is plastic. Maybe it was changed at some point to a later model?

Good luck with your build. Post it on Vital!
I'm pretty sure all of the oil pan drain plugs were plastic that year. At least the one on my 80 was.
12/17/2018 5:29am
Amazing work Bent! Love seeing these 80's era MX bikes being resurrected and put back out on the track! What kind of VMX racing do you have out east?
Bent206
12/17/2018 9:08am
mxracer106 wrote:
Amazing work Bent! Love seeing these 80's era MX bikes being resurrected and put back out on the track! What kind of VMX racing do you...
Amazing work Bent! Love seeing these 80's era MX bikes being resurrected and put back out on the track! What kind of VMX racing do you have out east?
I race some of the American Classic Racing (www.acrmx.com) events. I try to race a few events each year but I don't follow the full series. Central Village is close to me and Southwick is always a good event.

I love reading the 80's bike builds on Vital. Its cool to see the same passion for these old bikes all over the country.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
12/17/2018 9:28am
We may have met.. You picked a great bike to build. I raced ACR all year and won the 50+ class Championship on my 82 RM. See you next year.

NoMuff2Tuff
12/21/2018 6:53am
Great job on the rebuild, coming out awesome!! I really wanted to do the 82 RM250 but found an all original 125 in decent shape and couldn't pass it up. A little story on a 82 RM250. Back in 82-83 myself and a couple friends were squirrel hunting in Louisiana between the Miss river and levy and as we were walking out the woods I saw 2 bikes laying down covered up with branches. They were obviously stolen but as Motocross loving teenager that doesn't register in your mind at the moment, One was a 1980 CR125 and the other was 1982 RM250. We all had smiles from ear to ear. Being a young wild kid I pulled the branches off the bikes and that 250 fired right up and we blasted that thing up and down the levy as fast as it would go until it ran out of gas. Never rode a 250 up to that point and we were awestruck on how much power and fast that bike was. The CR never started. Got home and said mom guess what we found? We found 2 dirt bikes behind the levy, can I keep one of them? She said Oh really, you want to keep one? I think I got slapped upside the head. She picked up the phone and called the cops. She said now get your ass back on your 3 wheeler and meet the cops were those dirt bikes are and show them where you found them.
Cops came and they were loaded up on a wreaker. Cops said if no one claims them in a certain amount of time we could have them. They were probably bsn me because I was a kid and never seen the bikes again. Hopefully the rightful owners were able to get there bikes back. That day always stuck in my head. The first and only time I got to ride the mighty 1982 RM250 LOL True story

Bent206
12/22/2018 4:43am
Steve125 wrote:
We may have met.. You picked a great bike to build. I raced ACR all year and won the 50+ class Championship on my 82 RM...
We may have met.. You picked a great bike to build. I raced ACR all year and won the 50+ class Championship on my 82 RM. See you next year.

I’ll look for you next season. Your bike looks great!
Bent206
12/22/2018 4:52am
Great job on the rebuild, coming out awesome!! I really wanted to do the 82 RM250 but found an all original 125 in decent shape and...
Great job on the rebuild, coming out awesome!! I really wanted to do the 82 RM250 but found an all original 125 in decent shape and couldn't pass it up. A little story on a 82 RM250. Back in 82-83 myself and a couple friends were squirrel hunting in Louisiana between the Miss river and levy and as we were walking out the woods I saw 2 bikes laying down covered up with branches. They were obviously stolen but as Motocross loving teenager that doesn't register in your mind at the moment, One was a 1980 CR125 and the other was 1982 RM250. We all had smiles from ear to ear. Being a young wild kid I pulled the branches off the bikes and that 250 fired right up and we blasted that thing up and down the levy as fast as it would go until it ran out of gas. Never rode a 250 up to that point and we were awestruck on how much power and fast that bike was. The CR never started. Got home and said mom guess what we found? We found 2 dirt bikes behind the levy, can I keep one of them? She said Oh really, you want to keep one? I think I got slapped upside the head. She picked up the phone and called the cops. She said now get your ass back on your 3 wheeler and meet the cops were those dirt bikes are and show them where you found them.
Cops came and they were loaded up on a wreaker. Cops said if no one claims them in a certain amount of time we could have them. They were probably bsn me because I was a kid and never seen the bikes again. Hopefully the rightful owners were able to get there bikes back. That day always stuck in my head. The first and only time I got to ride the mighty 1982 RM250 LOL True story

Cool story. As a kid I would have wanted to keep it to! Ha ha
I had a 1980 CR125 back in the early ‘80’s. It was a fun bike but I remember the air box being a pain to get into.
Your RM is sweet! Doesn’t look like you have much left to finish.
NoMuff2Tuff
12/22/2018 9:50pm
Great job on the rebuild, coming out awesome!! I really wanted to do the 82 RM250 but found an all original 125 in decent shape and...

Bent206 wrote:
Cool story. As a kid I would have wanted to keep it to! Ha ha I had a 1980 CR125 back in the early ‘80’s. It...
Cool story. As a kid I would have wanted to keep it to! Ha ha
I had a 1980 CR125 back in the early ‘80’s. It was a fun bike but I remember the air box being a pain to get into.
Your RM is sweet! Doesn’t look like you have much left to finish.
Thanks, it's getting close but my modern bikes and my God child's racing is keeping me busy. Trying to finish up the cylinder and porting. Changed the way the boost port ties in from the rear transfer which is odd why Suzuki did it that way and using the port timing durations to hopefully build a better pipe for more power. I scored some 87 RM125 cartridge forks and triple tree I may set up on it down the road.
Keep us posted on how your 250 is doing!!!

Post a reply to: 1982 RM250 Winter Project

The Latest