1982 83 RM250 pipe

Rocky739
10/31/2018 5:56am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2020 10:32pm
Working away on the 82 RM/RH250 Suzuki project. Been gathering parts all summer as deals pop up. Got the DLS front brake, 43mm forks and clamps, nicer tank and swingarm, 84 rear shock, titanium bolts, Hi Flite safety seat...
Most of what I need except for a pipe, thought I got a almost perfect stock pipe but it was for a 81 instead.
If anyone has a pipe lying around I'd be interested. Not really looking for NOS or anything just a good solid pipe will do. My next option will be a Pro Form pipe but the general consensus has been the stock pipe runs better and fits better...
Thanks, and I will get some pictures posted up of the progress although its hard to get excited till the frame is painted and parts are going back on!
|
riv187
10/31/2018 7:00am
My 1983 has a dg pipe
It fits well,, makes strong midrange. The cylinder is stock,the reeds are v force and PWK 38mm carb. The combination has always put me in or near front of the 1981-85 open B, and A class. I start in 2nd and when I short shift into into 3rd the bike pulls 1-2 bikes on most of the field from the strong broad midrange. Looking at the bulge in pipe,,,,I wonder now if it isn't a 1984 model instead of 82-83 pipe(?) It was on bikewhen I got it.
Rocky739
10/31/2018 9:39am
riv187 wrote:
My 1983 has a dg pipe [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/31/299442/s1200_photo_2.jpg[/img] It fits well,, makes strong midrange. The cylinder is stock,the reeds are v force and PWK 38mm carb. The...
My 1983 has a dg pipe
It fits well,, makes strong midrange. The cylinder is stock,the reeds are v force and PWK 38mm carb. The combination has always put me in or near front of the 1981-85 open B, and A class. I start in 2nd and when I short shift into into 3rd the bike pulls 1-2 bikes on most of the field from the strong broad midrange. Looking at the bulge in pipe,,,,I wonder now if it isn't a 1984 model instead of 82-83 pipe(?) It was on bikewhen I got it.
Good looking Zook! The 84 pipe runs on the RH side of the frame, the 82, 83 crosses over to the LH in front of the airbox.. the 81 has a side mount exhaust spigot and the 80 has different mount location to he 81... Gotta love the 80's when they started clean slate every model year!!!
riv187
10/31/2018 11:52am Edited Date/Time 10/31/2018 12:05pm
riv187 wrote:
My 1983 has a dg pipe [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/31/299442/s1200_photo_2.jpg[/img] It fits well,, makes strong midrange. The cylinder is stock,the reeds are v force and PWK 38mm carb. The...
My 1983 has a dg pipe
Rocky739 wrote:
Good looking Zook! The 84 pipe runs on the RH side of the frame, the 82, 83 crosses over to the LH in front of the...
Good looking Zook! The 84 pipe runs on the RH side of the frame, the 82, 83 crosses over to the LH in front of the airbox.. the 81 has a side mount exhaust spigot and the 80 has different mount location to he 81... Gotta love the 80's when they started clean slate every model year!!!
Thanks for info! I almost forgot,, I've been running the 82 head. I would like to have my 83 head reshaped by Eric Gorr and see how that compares.
I have got some great deals on DG pipes from shopping amazon/ebay/ and various FB pages. I also google search the part numbers and have found discounts on them from lesser known shops clearancing their shelves.
If you replicate my parts combo with DG pipe/silencer,,,I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
The V force cage you need is from a 250 quadracer,,1987 I believe. Scored mine on discount off ebay. Was a improvement off bottom. The PWK is from 2001 CR250. It was a nice jump in smooth bottom into midrange over the stock flat slide. I really wanted the idle screw feature of the PWK. The Mikuni cost me a race when bike stalled breaking into a tight 180*corner.
Rocky739
10/31/2018 2:16pm
riv187 wrote:
Thanks for info! I almost forgot,, I've been running the 82 head. I would like to have my 83 head reshaped by Eric Gorr and see...
Thanks for info! I almost forgot,, I've been running the 82 head. I would like to have my 83 head reshaped by Eric Gorr and see how that compares.
I have got some great deals on DG pipes from shopping amazon/ebay/ and various FB pages. I also google search the part numbers and have found discounts on them from lesser known shops clearancing their shelves.
If you replicate my parts combo with DG pipe/silencer,,,I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
The V force cage you need is from a 250 quadracer,,1987 I believe. Scored mine on discount off ebay. Was a improvement off bottom. The PWK is from 2001 CR250. It was a nice jump in smooth bottom into midrange over the stock flat slide. I really wanted the idle screw feature of the PWK. The Mikuni cost me a race when bike stalled breaking into a tight 180*corner.
Sounds like are on the same page motor wise! I've been emailing with Tom Morgan today about porting the cylinder and head. I also have both an 82 and 83 head. I can't imagine that the motor doesn't run better with the 83 head. Think sometimes people mistake hard hit for fast... I'll always take the bike that is easy to ride and goes when I twist the throttle. Tom has a great reputation and the national titles to back it up so interested to see what it runs like once he ports it. Gonna do a 83-85 bottom end, much better shift mech versus the 82 transmission and the gears are beefed up some too. Got a transmission for the right side of 30.00 bucks so why not?
I have a good stock reed cage and I'm contemplating between V force and carbon tech reeds. I know I'll end up with both... Haven't wanted to cross the carburetor bridge yet.

The Shop

riv187
10/31/2018 5:03pm
riv187 wrote:
Thanks for info! I almost forgot,, I've been running the 82 head. I would like to have my 83 head reshaped by Eric Gorr and see...
Rocky739 wrote:
Sounds like are on the same page motor wise! I've been emailing with Tom Morgan today about porting the cylinder and head. I also have both...
Sounds like are on the same page motor wise! I've been emailing with Tom Morgan today about porting the cylinder and head. I also have both an 82 and 83 head. I can't imagine that the motor doesn't run better with the 83 head. Think sometimes people mistake hard hit for fast... I'll always take the bike that is easy to ride and goes when I twist the throttle. Tom has a great reputation and the national titles to back it up so interested to see what it runs like once he ports it. Gonna do a 83-85 bottom end, much better shift mech versus the 82 transmission and the gears are beefed up some too. Got a transmission for the right side of 30.00 bucks so why not?
I have a good stock reed cage and I'm contemplating between V force and carbon tech reeds. I know I'll end up with both... Haven't wanted to cross the carburetor bridge yet.
I got my bike with 82 head and the dg exhaust. The 82 head has a hemi dome,,83 has real wide squish band. The 83 was a detuned dog next to 82s. Swapping the head and advancing timing was trick back in the day and still works.
I believe tightening the squishon 83 to .035" and narrowing the width of band will be the hot ticket when I talked to Eric Gorr. The v-force helped the bottom(had boysens before),,,the pwk definately helped the bottom-up. The stock 83 carb is designed with no idle screw...Sad
I raced this bike 1 1/2 seasons in open class. Won my class both seasons and many motos and holesots. I pulled YZ490s,,Maicos,other 82-83 RM250s,,YZ465s,...many more..this bike pulls like a open bike in 3rd gear. The meat of power is pretty wide. It is not pipey.
Tom is great tuner,,no doubt.
With how my engine pulls with just these bolt on's...it could be scary with a ideal '83 head machined and porting. If for any reason you come down to Florida,,I live not far from Disney/Orlando..your welcome to ride it,,I'll meet you at a local track and you can have some fun.
Rocky739
10/31/2018 6:31pm
riv187 wrote:
I got my bike with 82 head and the dg exhaust. The 82 head has a hemi dome,,83 has real wide squish band. The 83 was...
I got my bike with 82 head and the dg exhaust. The 82 head has a hemi dome,,83 has real wide squish band. The 83 was a detuned dog next to 82s. Swapping the head and advancing timing was trick back in the day and still works.
I believe tightening the squishon 83 to .035" and narrowing the width of band will be the hot ticket when I talked to Eric Gorr. The v-force helped the bottom(had boysens before),,,the pwk definately helped the bottom-up. The stock 83 carb is designed with no idle screw...Sad
I raced this bike 1 1/2 seasons in open class. Won my class both seasons and many motos and holesots. I pulled YZ490s,,Maicos,other 82-83 RM250s,,YZ465s,...many more..this bike pulls like a open bike in 3rd gear. The meat of power is pretty wide. It is not pipey.
Tom is great tuner,,no doubt.
With how my engine pulls with just these bolt on's...it could be scary with a ideal '83 head machined and porting. If for any reason you come down to Florida,,I live not far from Disney/Orlando..your welcome to ride it,,I'll meet you at a local track and you can have some fun.
Ha thanks for the offer, be tough to make it to FL this winter and have a chance to ride... Pretty excited to see what the 82 RM is all about... Guess I have to manage my expectations and not compare it to my 86 Honda as I think i'll be disappointed. But rather a big step up from my old 1980 Can Am (which is a damn fine bike despite what you've heard).
riv187
10/31/2018 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2018 7:06pm
Cool bikes! I have a couple 1981 MX6 250s on the back burner to restore..never raced one. I also have a 1986 CR250 nearly stock, low time. It has the best power delivery of my 80s bikes. The RM250 is not as smooth but with tweaks I've done very equal. Couple years ago I took both bikes to a race,,decided to use the CR for a change,track was tight arena cross style and the CR has disc up front. Class structure that day allowed any 80s bikes. A 26 yr old there selling parts with his dad that day walked over and was admiring my old RM,,so I offered to let him race it..He jumped at the offer & suited up with my extra cloths and helmet. Went straight to the start line with me..I was telling him stuff like 2nd gear start,,weak front brake,,ect at the line! Gate dropped and he was in front part of pack at first turn...2nd then immediately after,,,stalked my buddy on his 89 CR250 for a lap to feel it out...then passed him and checked out!...He was tripling,,doing crossups and having a blast. I was in middle of pack on my 86 and lost sight of him after 2 laps.
2nd moto I goofed somewhere bad and lost enough time that he LAPPED me at end....How odd ...I was cheering for my bike being out front as it humiliated me at same time,,LOL... His feed back was it handled and was suspended equal to his new 450,,,was lighter,,of course not as powerful but more fun,,,and the front brake sucked and he just coasted toward the corners. Yes I have the double leading shoes....still suck. He thanked me, signed the trophy with a thanks and gave it to e as souvenier. I learned he had done well at lorettas with a 5th or 6th , so no shame!

Taco 44
11/3/2018 2:33pm
First off,whomever,thanks for letting me join the forum,first post. I think i might have a pipe,aluminum silencer and stock silencer for a 82 Rocky i will try and take a look today.I know i have the bike but the pipe and stuff has been off since about 83 so i have not seen them in years or the condition if i do have them.Pic is 10 years old.
Rocky739
11/3/2018 7:13pm
riv187 wrote:
Cool bikes! I have a couple 1981 MX6 250s on the back burner to restore..never raced one. I also have a 1986 CR250 nearly stock, low...
Cool bikes! I have a couple 1981 MX6 250s on the back burner to restore..never raced one. I also have a 1986 CR250 nearly stock, low time. It has the best power delivery of my 80s bikes. The RM250 is not as smooth but with tweaks I've done very equal. Couple years ago I took both bikes to a race,,decided to use the CR for a change,track was tight arena cross style and the CR has disc up front. Class structure that day allowed any 80s bikes. A 26 yr old there selling parts with his dad that day walked over and was admiring my old RM,,so I offered to let him race it..He jumped at the offer & suited up with my extra cloths and helmet. Went straight to the start line with me..I was telling him stuff like 2nd gear start,,weak front brake,,ect at the line! Gate dropped and he was in front part of pack at first turn...2nd then immediately after,,,stalked my buddy on his 89 CR250 for a lap to feel it out...then passed him and checked out!...He was tripling,,doing crossups and having a blast. I was in middle of pack on my 86 and lost sight of him after 2 laps.
2nd moto I goofed somewhere bad and lost enough time that he LAPPED me at end....How odd ...I was cheering for my bike being out front as it humiliated me at same time,,LOL... His feed back was it handled and was suspended equal to his new 450,,,was lighter,,of course not as powerful but more fun,,,and the front brake sucked and he just coasted toward the corners. Yes I have the double leading shoes....still suck. He thanked me, signed the trophy with a thanks and gave it to e as souvenier. I learned he had done well at lorettas with a 5th or 6th , so no shame!

Awesome!! Exciting to hear the old RM can hang with bikes far further up the evolutioary food chain. Kinda why I chose it for a project.
I always come back to brakes being the biggest performance gain, and at the end of the day no drum can hang with a medicore disc.
Rocky739
11/3/2018 7:18pm
Taco 44 wrote:
First off,whomever,thanks for letting me join the forum,first post. I think i might have a pipe,aluminum silencer and stock silencer for a 82 Rocky i will...
First off,whomever,thanks for letting me join the forum,first post. I think i might have a pipe,aluminum silencer and stock silencer for a 82 Rocky i will try and take a look today.I know i have the bike but the pipe and stuff has been off since about 83 so i have not seen them in years or the condition if i do have them.Pic is 10 years old.
Glad to have you! Always seems like a lot of like minded folks and not much mindless name calling on this forum so I think you will enjoy.
I would definitely be interested in a stock or period aftermarket pipe and possibly other parts if you are parting it out.
Nice collection of bikes you've got there.
Taco 44
11/8/2018 7:48am
Hey Rocky sorry i'm so slow.I have the stock pipe and a answer silencer.The pipe has no cracks and it has one small dent in the head pipe,kinda like you sunk your thumb a bit in the butter.The silencer has no cracks or dents.A wasp like we have around here chose to build a little mud house in the headpipe instead of under the eves of my house where i usually see them.

Taco 44
11/8/2018 7:52am
I also have the entire scoot minus the top end.

Rocky739
11/8/2018 8:28am
Taco 44 wrote:
I also have the entire scoot minus the top end. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/08/301163/s1200_SUZUKI_029.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/08/301164/s1200_SUZUKI_032.jpg[/img]
I also have the entire scoot minus the top end.

I'm interested in the pipe and silencer, exactly what I'm looking for! I would also be interested in the rear shock and possibly the radiators.
I never have any luck with the messenger feature on here so please email me with your asking price and shipping. I live in Indianapolis Indiana for the shipping estimate as it looks like your not very close by. rocky.l.thomas73@gmail.com

Thanks for pulling them out and getting the pictures!
socalkiwi
11/10/2018 5:50pm
I need a tank, seat & throttle if you are willing to part out the rest of the bike? I'm down in San Diego.
Thanks
Marty
socalkiwi@hotmail.com
Rocky739
11/17/2018 11:27am
Taco 44 wrote:
Hey Rocky sorry i'm so slow.I have the stock pipe and a answer silencer.The pipe has no cracks and it has one small dent in the...
Hey Rocky sorry i'm so slow.I have the stock pipe and a answer silencer.The pipe has no cracks and it has one small dent in the head pipe,kinda like you sunk your thumb a bit in the butter.The silencer has no cracks or dents.A wasp like we have around here chose to build a little mud house in the headpipe instead of under the eves of my house where i usually see them.

Hey, been awhile so was just wondering if you were still interested in selling these... No rush, just curious.
vestalpaul
8/29/2020 11:55am
riv187 wrote:
My 1983 has a dg pipe
Hey man, if you don't mind me asking, what are the jetting specs you used on that PWK Airstryker? I want to put one on my 1983 RM250. Thank you!
riv187
9/4/2020 5:30am
riv187 wrote:
My 1983 has a dg pipe
vestalpaul wrote:
Hey man, if you don't mind me asking, what are the jetting specs you used on that PWK Airstryker? I want to put one on my...
Hey man, if you don't mind me asking, what are the jetting specs you used on that PWK Airstryker? I want to put one on my 1983 RM250. Thank you!
Correction,,,I found the receipt for my PWK.....it was off a 1999 CR250. The only brass changed was leaner pilot,,,172 main jet in the heat and 180 in the colder weather,,and needle 2nd clip down on cold ,top in heat. 32-1 sunuco 110.

vestalpaul
9/4/2020 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2020 5:13pm
riv187 wrote:
My 1983 has a dg pipe
vestalpaul wrote:
Hey man, if you don't mind me asking, what are the jetting specs you used on that PWK Airstryker? I want to put one on my...
riv187 wrote:
Correction,,,I found the receipt for my PWK.....it was off a 1999 CR250. The only brass changed was leaner pilot,,,172 main jet in the heat and 180...
Correction,,,I found the receipt for my PWK.....it was off a 1999 CR250. The only brass changed was leaner pilot,,,172 main jet in the heat and 180 in the colder weather,,and needle 2nd clip down on cold ,top in heat. 32-1 sunuco 110.

Thank you very much! That is very helpful! I live in Missouri with very high summer humidity as well. Approximately 750' elevation.
vestalpaul
9/4/2020 7:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2020 7:28pm
I am new to dirt bikes. I rode quads growing up. I came about my 1983 Rm250 and 1983 KX60 by way of my brother. He had several nice bikes ranging from a 2008 Cr450f to a 2002 KX250 with a 301 overbore kit, to a 99 yz125, to the aforementioned RM and Kx. He wrecked his YZ125 at and estimated 50mph. Hit a patch of wet grass and couldn't turn...hit a bulldozer of all things. Fractured 13 ribs and 11 vertebrae, punctured a lung, broke his shoulder blade. He spent 23 days in the icu sedated. He woke up and immediately started selling his bikes. He gave me the two that I mentioned. I now have the KX60 running strong. Figured out it had a knock off mikuni vm24 with a super rich pilot (43.5) and super lean main (97.5). I made sure that the float was set correctly and then installed the correct jetting. Thankfully the proper miking jets actually fit. I also installed a moose racing torque spacer and a set of boyeson power reeds and a new back tire.. That little air cooled 60 rips! It pulls the front wheel up shifting from 2nd to 3rd with 195lbs on it!
I will post pictures of the RM250 as it is going to be an extensive rebuild. He picked it up for 600 and payed what it was worth. The people who owned it did not take care of it at all. I will most likely lean on this forum for advice throughout the process. It is running pig rich right now. I pulled the stock mikuni tm38 and found that it had a crack that had been repaired with JB weld. This caused that side of the gasket surface to be slightly concave. They then bent the side of the bowl to fit which is causing that float to be sticky. I cleaned it extensively and it seems to have stock jetting. 300 main, 50 pilot. Runs even more rich now lol go figure. Wanted to check the reeds and found a rounded off bolt there on the intake boot so I didn't get any further. I assume that they need replaced judging from how the rest of the bike has been maintained. There was even 2 stripped screws on and in the carb that I was fortunate to get broken loose. The expansion chamber is not in the flange correctly and actually doesn't appear to be able to fit. It looks to be bent. I have to take it off and look. It is missing the exhaust hanger as well as the stud that goes through the top of the expansion pipe. It doesnt even have the bolts that go through the tank to secure it to the frame. It doesnt have the radiator shield plastics either. If anyone would be nice enough to take a picture of how all of that is supposed to look, I would really appreciate it. Also, if anyone has a line on some parts that would be greatly appreciated as well! My plans for the motor right now are as follows:
Pwk A/S 38mm carb & jet kit
Boyeson power reeds
NGK BREIX Iridium plug
Crankshaft bearing & seal kit
Complete gasket kit
Wossner piston kit & wristpin bearing
Eric Gorr head mod & cylinder porting.
All together, the above will run roughly $600.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
MaxPower
9/6/2020 5:33pm
If you are getting an Air Striker go for the STIC too. You'll have the fastest vintage. RM ever. Eric Gorr is a great builder, check Tom Morgan too. He is great to deal with
vestalpaul
9/6/2020 10:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2020 10:32pm
MaxPower wrote:
If you are getting an Air Striker go for the STIC too. You'll have the fastest vintage. RM ever. Eric Gorr is a great builder, check...
If you are getting an Air Striker go for the STIC too. You'll have the fastest vintage. RM ever. Eric Gorr is a great builder, check Tom Morgan too. He is great to deal with
Do you have any sort of educated guess of what kind of HP numbers I'll be looking at with the listed mods + that STIC? Will the bike be competitive against the modern 2t's?

I also decided to go ahead and have Eric bore it +2mm to make it a 260cc instead of a 246.

I honestly am building this because I want to make my cousin look dumb. He is the type of guy that lies about everything and exaggerates to exponential proportions. He traded an SRT-4 for a 2011 KTM 250sxf that he claims has a stage 2 hot cam and efi remapping. Funny about that, my brothers bone stock 99 YZ125 would get him on the top end. He would only get it out when my bro was on the 125, NEVER if he was on the KX
301 (250 big bore). I just want to see the look on his face when an '83 250 2t puts that "hot cam" to shame.

Post a reply to: 1982 83 RM250 pipe

The Latest