1981 Yamaha YZ250 ?

bdnwtkfg
12/7/2010 11:07am
1981 YZ250 For Sale:
LOVE the picts.
I had one.
Power was a light switch. . . I Loved it! But ruined it when I switched to a CR500.THAT was a beast!

My Best friend has one still, and is original Owner. It is like new shape, has all orginal decals on tank and are in great shape. Desert tank as well. Motor runs great. Recent top end with maybe 5 light rides over the last 5-6 years. . . (I did the work)

This bike has hardley been ridden, he has just held on to it for prosperity sake. . . but he is getting back into it, and wants a new bike. . . so this one needs to be sold. . . !!!

this one is now for sale
if you are interested email me at bdnwtkfg at wans dot net and i will get you picts.
Asking Price is $1500
bdnwtkfg
3/11/2011 3:03pm
mx-frog wrote:
How good of bike was the 1981 YZ250? Was the motor strong? Also 5 or 6 speed? Thanks
I had one back in the day - ELECTRIC powerband. VERY powerful. I found it best in the Desert. . . but still - Awesome!!
I AM SELLING MY BEST FRIENDS A L L O R I G I N A L 1981 YZ250. . . in EXCELLENT ORIGINAL Shape!

Here is the Craigs List Link or just email me for info bdnwtkfg@wans.net

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2213284843.html

David
yzvet426
4/6/2011 6:37pm
I just picked up a nice 79 YZ250. The 80 and 81's seem pretty hard to find. I have either a set of Simons or 81 465 43MM forks for it The 43MM came with the dls. I'm thinking of getting a works performance shock. Far cheaper than a Fox air. No idea if it's better or worse. I can't wait to thrash the crap out of it. Wink
mooch
Fantasy
431st
4/8/2011 6:01pm
Based on my own experience, I'd pass on the Works Performance shock for that era of YZ monoshocks.

Instead, have Race Tech do their gold valve and dual spring kit mod to the stock shock....will be a better setup shock for the bike and is even a bit less expensive.

The Shop

captmoto
4/9/2011 3:31pm
mooch wrote:
Based on my own experience, I'd pass on the Works Performance shock for that era of YZ monoshocks. Instead, have Race Tech do their gold valve...
Based on my own experience, I'd pass on the Works Performance shock for that era of YZ monoshocks.

Instead, have Race Tech do their gold valve and dual spring kit mod to the stock shock....will be a better setup shock for the bike and is even a bit less expensive.
Along with the emulators and springs the bike will be really well balanced front to back. You won't be disappointed.
edgo897
4/11/2011 4:03pm
I had my 78 YZ400 stock shock rebuilt by Sage Suspension. His mods add an inch of travel to the rear and gets rid of the Yamahop. Prices are good too. sagesuspension.com
karterron
5/7/2011 11:34am
jeffcrew wrote:
I just started restoring my old 1980 YZ 250G. It's in great shape just needs some TLC. Its been mostly sitting for the past 15 yrs...
I just started restoring my old 1980 YZ 250G. It's in great shape just needs some TLC. Its been mostly sitting for the past 15 yrs and still fires right up. The main problem I have is that it won't stay in neutral . My plan was to split the case and go through the tranny, thinking it may be a bad shift fork, however before going that far I have removed the clutch and flywheel in order to check the shifter pins and cam. it all looks good and it shifts and stays in neutral flawlessly while spinning it by hand, so i am now thinking that there is no need to split it. Does anyone have experience with the 250G transmission? Should I put it back together and hope for the best? or keep going and go through the whole tranny?
Any resrtoraton advice is also welcome. I still plan to do the piston and rings, reed valve, carb, front forks, brakes, seat cover and plastic. Pics to come.
Just finished mine over the winter. Sounds like a bent shift fork if the pins and cam look good. Be sure and check the star on the shift cam. Neutral is a little indentation on the wheel. If it's worn that could be the cause of the problem and that can be fixed without splitting the cases.

The trans on these bikes is pretty simple to work on. Get a Clymer or Yamaha service manual. Also, some of those transmission parts are still available from Yamaha. I got most of what I needed from Apache Yamaha. My bike is back together, except waiting on the cylinder to come back from the machine shop with a fresh bore.

Once it's finished I plan on selling it. I bought a 1980 YZ465 last week that I plan on riding instead.

Post a reply to: 1981 Yamaha YZ250 ?

The Latest