1980 Yamaha IT175

Related:
Create New Tag

2/19/2018 8:23 PM

New to the forum, y'all have been a great resource for inspiration...Thanks!
Thought I'd share my recently (mild) resto on an IT175.

Before
Photo

After
Photo

This was the model my Dad rode when I was a teenager, he swore it was the best trail bike he ever owned! Was lucky to find a remarkably intact example, looking forward to reliving those days with him when the weather breaks!

Still need a decent expansion chamber if anyone has a lead...

|

2/19/2018 8:51 PM

Won my first championship on one in 80. Great bike moved up to the 200 in 83.

|

2/20/2018 6:17 AM

The best expansion chamber you will ever get for the that 175G is still made by Geoff at GMC in Australia. He will build a cone pipe for it that fits perfectly, is designed for that model, looks a trillion dollars but only costs a million, and gives a huge performance boost..

Photo

Photo

Cheers,

|

2/21/2018 12:49 AM

First proper competition bike I owned, had a DT 125, for 6 moths before buying one of these was 16 years old

|

@TONY351KTM

2/21/2018 8:45 AM

Nice rebuild jsks2.

|

Earn it!

2/21/2018 12:46 PM

Thanks!

and the GMC pipe is gorgeous! I fear a bit above my 'budget'...but wow!

|

2/21/2018 8:35 PM

You wanna bring that thing out and join in on some great vintage hare scrambles racing this year? Search up AHRMA Mid atlantic vintage racing on FB. Great bunch of guys racing old bikes in a 10 race series all across PA. Soooo much fun.

|

2/23/2018 5:31 PM

Way cool ! Nice job. So much time and welding on that pipe too.

|

2/24/2018 8:04 PM

Hman144 wrote:

You wanna bring that thing out and join in on some great vintage hare scrambles racing this year? Search up AHRMA Mid atlantic vintage racing on FB. Great bunch of guys racing old bikes in a 10 race series all across PA. Soooo much fun.

That does sound like fun, I checked out the schedule and there are a few relatively close to me...I just may have to give it a try! Thanks!

|

5/22/2018 9:27 AM

Hman144 wrote:

jsks2 wrote:

That does sound like fun, I checked out the schedule and there are a few relatively close to me...I just may have to give it a try! Thanks!

Well, the bike and I survived the mud of Candytown this past weekend, it was a tough one...but it was still great to be on the track again! looking forward to attempting another (hopefully drier) round soon. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of AHRMA Mid Atlantic, seems like a cool group!

|

5/22/2018 9:30 AM

Photo
|