1980 CR480 Twinnie. All finished!

Edited Date/Time 6/27/2019 2:50am
We got this monster finished off and out into the sunshine yesterday. The new owner had come a long way to pick her up! It's really cool to see someone so visibly excited with something you have put so much effort and time into.

The only thing that will be swapped is the swing arm. The prototype for our Alloy swingarms, is being made at the moment! So this will be having one once the production ones arrive.

Stevie

|
PK97
6/16/2019 11:15am
Awesome!!

I was wondering if the prototype swing arm was made and how testing was going?
swatdoc
6/16/2019 6:14pm
Save me one of those pipes Stevie. I like yours better than the modded DG pipe. I’ll have u send it with my new swingarm

BTW, do you a compression release on the head?

The Shop

6/16/2019 11:36pm
swatdoc wrote:
Save me one of those pipes Stevie. I like yours better than the modded DG pipe. I’ll have u send it with my new swingarm BTW...
Save me one of those pipes Stevie. I like yours better than the modded DG pipe. I’ll have u send it with my new swingarm

BTW, do you a compression release on the head?
John,
The front pipe is a heavily modified Pro-Form. They are cheap and poorly made anyway so I don't mind cutting them up that much! But, they are a real pain in the ass! They take WAY too long and each one ends up a little different. So we're looking at having some made. I'm just discussing it with the manufacturer at the moment. So there will be no more cutting and shutting, and we will have a much higher quality pipe.

The silencer is our own design We are getting geared up for production of them. Both for the 250, and a 480 version. They will have the proper clearance for piggy back shocks. And bolt on as per the OEM silencers.

The heads, I have done one with a de-comp. (That one is nearly finished so pics will be along shortly!) We went with the cable type as reaching under the tank every time just seems like a reet faff to me!
Personally, I find them easier to start with out though. Ease it over TDC, bring the kicker back up to the top, a slight wiff of throttle, and give her fully committed, "you ARE going to start!" Sort of kick and they go.

I always think with the big bores, it's the commitment that's the crucial part. Don't commit and they don't deem you worthy and won't start for you. 😂😂
swatdoc
6/16/2019 11:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2019 11:57pm
Lol yea full commitment and a slight ritual. A little like my 98 YZ400F.
Ok I’ll just wait for your pipe/silencer for my 480.
Will your new 250 air filter setup work with the twin shock 480? I do have the custom air box made by the guy in the US (his name escapes me right now)

Couple more quick questions
- Don’t you use a different rear hub than the standard 78-80 250?
- have you ever tried to develop a cable operated rear brake, so it would be more “RC-ish”?
Thanks Stevie
6/17/2019 1:08am
swatdoc wrote:
Lol yea full commitment and a slight ritual. A little like my 98 YZ400F. Ok I’ll just wait for your pipe/silencer for my 480. Will your...
Lol yea full commitment and a slight ritual. A little like my 98 YZ400F.
Ok I’ll just wait for your pipe/silencer for my 480.
Will your new 250 air filter setup work with the twin shock 480? I do have the custom air box made by the guy in the US (his name escapes me right now)

Couple more quick questions
- Don’t you use a different rear hub than the standard 78-80 250?
- have you ever tried to develop a cable operated rear brake, so it would be more “RC-ish”?
Thanks Stevie
Yes, the new air filter set up will fit into those airboxes. We bought the mould from Jim. 😉 I've used it as base to develope them a little. I have a new plug made, need to get a new mould made up now.

The rear hubs. On my own bikes I run the 81 rear hub. I had one when I originally built mine, and have just kinda gone with it... This one uses an 83 rear hub.

Are you be thinking about a rear brake set up set up like this John?... Seriously, are you hiding somewhere in my shop?.. 😂😂.
We used a cable and made an adjuster assembly that sits up near the pedal. Left and right hand threads so it super easy to adjust.

Stevie

swatdoc
6/17/2019 2:19am
Damn that a sweet cable brake setup - definitely would like to do that. Don’t really care for the stock brake.

Looks like I’ll be ordering a few of those air filter setups too
6/17/2019 1:40pm
What a lovely looking bike ! Just noticed last night that my sons1979 cr250 is started to leak oil from behind the front sprocket Can the seal be changed without taking the engine out of the frame?Thanks

sandman768
6/17/2019 5:13pm
Beautiful....crying out for a big old aluminum banana swingarm!
MaxPower
6/17/2019 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2019 8:33pm
What is the advantage of the 81 hub? Honestly other than the color red and maybe the grips. I didn't think any part from a 81 CR was worth using.
I understand the open bike start ritual and I normally don't pull the age card, but I think left side kick open bikes are just a little easier to lite up for kids under 50. But I also didn't like starting them at 25. Only I was able to then.
In 79 Steves bikes would have been Claimed. His bikes have the same work put into them the Team bikes. I like he really rides them instead of builds trick dust collectors
6/18/2019 4:16pm
Maicoman07 wrote:
What a lovely looking bike ! Just noticed last night that my sons1979 cr250 is started to leak oil from behind the front sprocket Can the...
What a lovely looking bike ! Just noticed last night that my sons1979 cr250 is started to leak oil from behind the front sprocket Can the seal be changed without taking the engine out of the frame?Thanks

Yes the seal can be changed without splitting the cases. Make sure the bike is properly cleaned to start with, you don't want any dirt getting in.
Remove the sprocket and then the collar/bush off the shaft. You can then remove the seal. There's no 'Neat and sophisticated" way to do it, just hoike it out. There is a D profile o-ring on the shaft aswell. If your changing the seal, change that as well. (It's still available from Honda). Insert the new seal making sure it's gone in straight and the outer face is flush with the cases, then the o-ring. Reinstall the collar/bush, sprocket etc and job done.
Stevie
6/18/2019 4:28pm
MaxPower wrote:
What is the advantage of the 81 hub? Honestly other than the color red and maybe the grips. I didn't think any part from a 81...
What is the advantage of the 81 hub? Honestly other than the color red and maybe the grips. I didn't think any part from a 81 CR was worth using.
I understand the open bike start ritual and I normally don't pull the age card, but I think left side kick open bikes are just a little easier to lite up for kids under 50. But I also didn't like starting them at 25. Only I was able to then.
In 79 Steves bikes would have been Claimed. His bikes have the same work put into them the Team bikes. I like he really rides them instead of builds trick dust collectors
Thanks bud! 👍 You gotta ride em, or they loose there soul, and there entire reason for existing.

The 81 hub... When I first built my Rocket pops had a pair of NOS 81 hub assemblies and as I didn't have any hubs, I used them. The front lasted a season before I had enough of having to put my feet down to try and slow down. The rear, I like the look of, (and its way better than the 78+80 rear hub!) I think it kinda looks like the RC hubs, so I've stuck with them. They are the only "good" part of the 81 250/450.... 😂

This bike was built from parts rather than a complete bike. (or 2!) We were able to get the 83 hubs and motor together. The 83 front is brilliant (when set up properly) the rear is really good also, light and strong.... I'm just not sold on its looks...

Stevie
6/22/2019 7:24am
Maicoman07 wrote:
What a lovely looking bike ! Just noticed last night that my sons1979 cr250 is started to leak oil from behind the front sprocket Can the...

StevieD113 wrote:
Yes the seal can be changed without splitting the cases. Make sure the bike is properly cleaned to start with, you don't want any dirt getting...
Yes the seal can be changed without splitting the cases. Make sure the bike is properly cleaned to start with, you don't want any dirt getting in.
Remove the sprocket and then the collar/bush off the shaft. You can then remove the seal. There's no 'Neat and sophisticated" way to do it, just hoike it out. There is a D profile o-ring on the shaft aswell. If your changing the seal, change that as well. (It's still available from Honda). Insert the new seal making sure it's gone in straight and the outer face is flush with the cases, then the o-ring. Reinstall the collar/bush, sprocket etc and job done.
Stevie
Thanks for that Steve Good to read about the 81 wheels also Bought a 1981 rolling chasis for £100 Does anybody know if the 1981 Honda forks can be made to work good before I spend money on them getting them rechromed with a view to fitting them on a 1979 cr250?
swatdoc
6/23/2019 6:34pm
Stevie - it would also be cool to have a rear brake cable setup like this - and of course the cool side plate to go with it

6/27/2019 12:26am
swatdoc wrote:
Stevie - it would also be cool to have a rear brake cable setup like this - and of course the cool side plate to go...
Stevie - it would also be cool to have a rear brake cable setup like this - and of course the cool side plate to go with it

Hmm, that set up would be a little more involved.. mounts on the frame, cable, new brake plate and maybe a brake pedal.

Not impossible, but certaily not a quick job.
Obviously, if an alternative rear hub and brake assembly could be found from something else that looks sort-of like that then it's a bit easier. I think you could get away with the using the stock 78-80 pedal aswell.

Stevie
swatdoc
6/27/2019 12:57am Edited Date/Time 6/27/2019 2:50am
The nice thing about this setup is that your brake adjustment stays the same when you move the axle forward or back for a chain tension adjustment

Post a reply to: 1980 CR480 Twinnie. All finished!

The Latest