1979 Yz250 Info-value-opinions

Related:
Create New Tag

9/11/2019 6:03 PM

Hey guys check out this '79 yz250 for sale near me. Whats pricing like on something like this?

How was this bike for its era? Hows she ride!?? Have no vintage experience. Rode an 84 cr500 and was surprised how well it did on the track. Engine was a bit rough off idle then burst to life but besides that was rideable.

Half way considering grabbing it and doing some motos on it!! Maybe enter a vintage race! Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

9/12/2019 5:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/12/2019 5:47 AM

Wow, that's nice AND original AND low-hour. Still has kickstand and shifter rubber! That year model is few and far between. Snap it up if you can. I owned one back in the day, great bike with factory improvements i hadling and power over the previous '77 & '78 models. The cycling magazines wrote very highly of it.
When i got back into bikes in '09 I found and bought a '79 to race vintage series here in our town.
Over the years I made suspension improvements given what's available from the aftermarket. I had the exact same remote reservoir setup too but changed it over to a CR500 "clicker" type for more adjustability.
The engine power in stock form is more than adequate for the average rider. I've had fast "kids" race my bike and are very impressed with the whole package. Photo

|

Larry Navarro - Spring,TX. Damm glad to meetcha!

9/13/2019 5:12 AM

Yes, I would agree the '80 is a better bike however, this '79 is obtainable right now. Not trying to start a pissing match here but how long do you wanna wait for the "bargain" low-hour, '80 YZ to appear.
No matter what you buy, plan on spending money on suspension services, front and rear.
I would also agree about bringing the forks up in the triples and going 13/50(48 is stock) with sprocket set. You will holeshot your competition with clutch finesse' and 2nd gear starts.smile

|

9/13/2019 5:50 AM

Aside from the engine being a bit pipey, I have really enjoyed mine!

|

9/13/2019 6:39 AM

You would be crazy not to buy it. cool

|

Ed Johnson

9/13/2019 7:37 AM

hes asking 3500 firm...in that shape is understandable to me. an average one is around 2k and this is far and above average

|

9/13/2019 8:41 AM

Man I'd buy it just for the original condition it is in......it's a time-capsule of the golden age of motocross. That is a bike that is few and far between.
Find something else that you wouldn't mind racing and tearing up a little.

|

9/13/2019 9:16 AM

wfoyz250 wrote:

Man I'd buy it just for the original condition it is in......it's a time-capsule of the golden age of motocross. That is a bike that is few and far between.
Find something else that you wouldn't mind racing and tearing up a little.

I agree with Wfoyz250 ,its certainly worth the 3500 if you're just going to collect and admire it. I wouldn't buy that particular one to race, its too clean/original. You can find race-ready YZ's for <2500.

|

9/13/2019 9:32 AM

Thanks for the tip paradigm! The pipe is in descent shape but not show quality so modifying it would not bother me.

|

9/13/2019 10:47 AM

Pictures of the pipe would be great! I have 12/48 sprockets on it currently. I replaced the stock head gasket with a custom gasket that got the squish down to about .053. I installed a reed spacer last week in hopes of improving the low end but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I am near sea level running 93 ethanol free gas and since reducing the squish I have been getting some detonation when the bike gets to full operating temperature. I will either have to run higher octane fuel or go back to the stock head gasket.

|

9/13/2019 11:23 AM

Trail riding is mostly what I do. The engine currently has 200 psi compression on a fresh rebuild. I will probably remove the reed spacer as it only serves to make the carb harder to install! I am not a fan of ethanol. Adding aviation fuel at a 50/50 mix is an option if I don't replace the thinner head gasket with the factory gasket. The 50/50 mix worked really good on my CR480 that had the same problem.

|

9/13/2019 12:27 PM

79 is a good bike. I raced a 79 YZ 400 for two seasons and had a lot of fun with it. Actually like the motor more than my yz465 in most cases. Shock can be made to work great and the forks are actually really good. Very neutral handling and reliable.

|

2/14/2020 10:40 AM

Pro Action can do both ends of suspension and as a side note the 79 yz400 was much better that the 400D/E or the 465 in my opinion. The 250 like the 400 is a point and shoot bike.

|

2/14/2020 5:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2020 5:46 PM

If you want to really get fired up about riding it....

|

2/16/2020 3:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2020 3:17 PM

dammit man!....I wish I could ride my '79 like that!!

|