1979 YZ125 Restoration - hit a road block need advice

Edited Date/Time 3/7/2019 3:45pm
Hi - new member looking for some advice. I am restoring a 79 YZ125 - it did run when I bought like 2 years ago. Fast forward and I am finally restoring it but I have hit a road block. I have no spark issue that I traced to a bad stator. I purchased a replacement but I cannot get the magneto flywheel off. I have tried all the tricks but nothing has worked. I am at the point where I am either going to need to take to someone to remove or source a replacement engine.

Trying to weigh out the option that if I take some where and they can't remove without significant damage am I going to be out more $$ than if I just go the route of finding a replacement in better shape?

Any input is appreciated.
|
motogeeze
3/4/2019 10:02am
Are you using one of these?

If you don't have one they're available on ebay and elsewhere, just do a search for you bike year/model/size and tool .Beating and pryin wont get it off and may render it in-serviceable.If you do have a puller try giving it a few taps on the bolt end once it is securely tightened into the flywheel, usually they pop right off but some are stubborn and may require a little heat around the area where the crank comes thru . Good luck!
3/4/2019 12:16pm
@motogeeze - Thanks yep - have the correct puller, have soaked it for a week with PB Blaster, heat, beat, etc.
The particular puller for this flywheel apparently just pushes against the crank end and it's only 18mm.
I might have to try and fabricate it to something like the one above.

mx317
3/4/2019 12:31pm
Run it up tight with an air wrench and give the puller a tap with a brass hammer. Also make sure it's hitting the end of the crank and not bottoming out in the threads. I've had to put a spacer under the puller on some in order to make contact.
tydog
3/4/2019 12:57pm
What mx317 said ^^^^^!!!

The Shop

barnett468
3/5/2019 7:49am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 7:50am
make that a heavy hammer like a 3 pounder. after you whack it, tighten the puller again then whack it again then tighten the puller again etc. i have had to whack some 3 times or more. do not hit it lightly or it will do nothing, but do not wail on it either. a good pretty solid "medium" whack is good, you won't hurt anything unless you hit it really hard like you are trying to break it.

also, the 2 piece puller is better, especially if you are going to whack it.

3/5/2019 10:02am
mx317 wrote:
Run it up tight with an air wrench and give the puller a tap with a brass hammer. Also make sure it's hitting the end of...
Run it up tight with an air wrench and give the puller a tap with a brass hammer. Also make sure it's hitting the end of the crank and not bottoming out in the threads. I've had to put a spacer under the puller on some in order to make contact.
Damn man - never considered that - I think that might be what's going on. This weekend I will add a spacer and if that fails I think I have an concept for a two part puller.
Thanks Again!
pete24
3/5/2019 1:45pm
put grease on the end of the puller thread it in till it stops take it out and see if theres grease on the crank
Tdub13
3/6/2019 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2019 5:27pm
Then install a 2001 yz250 ignition complete. Bolt-on swap.
If you search my posts you'll see everything I did to mine.
3/7/2019 3:41pm
Tdub13 wrote:
Then install a 2001 yz250 ignition complete. Bolt-on swap.
If you search my posts you'll see everything I did to mine.
I know I have checked out your build a few times before - I didn't remember that part but I will review Thanks!
3/7/2019 3:45pm
mx317 wrote:
Run it up tight with an air wrench and give the puller a tap with a brass hammer. Also make sure it's hitting the end of...
Damn man - never considered that - I think that might be what's going on. This weekend I will add a spacer and if that fails...
Damn man - never considered that - I think that might be what's going on. This weekend I will add a spacer and if that fails I think I have an concept for a two part puller.
Thanks Again!
Well I couldn't wait until the weekend because I had a good feeling that this was the fix I needed. I cut a off nub of a bolt that fit inside the puller, gave a couple turns with the breaker bar and the SOB popped right off! @mx317 thanks so much for the common sense approach! I owe ya one.

Post a reply to: 1979 YZ125 Restoration - hit a road block need advice

The Latest