1979 RM 125 Need Directions on how to assemble shift spool and gears

Related:
Create New Tag

5/22/2018 10:31 AM

I recently took apart my Transmission to replace a Bearing.
I need some instructions on how to reassemble the transmission.
I think it should be in neutral. I don't know how to tell if I am putting the shift drum back correctly.
Please help

|

5/22/2018 4:50 PM

I carefully keep the 3 shift forks in place on drum and in appropriate grooves of each cluster...and lower the whole thing into place at once..both gear-sets/drum/forks with tubes.a little jiggling and wiggling and everything drops into place. May have to spin the drum back/forth little to engage gears and line things up. I don't worry about which gear or neutral

|

5/22/2018 4:56 PM

After you put on other case half...remember don't force anything,, a little light tapping is OK with a plastic hammer, but no pulling one side down crooked...if it doesn't feel right ,slip half back off and find out why. I use map gas on crank bearing,,but don't get it so hot it starts changing blue!!....if you get it that hot you damage the heat treat of bearing and will need a new one! after the case are together ,, a tap on each crank end with a lead shot hammer helps cnter crank to spin smoothly...and then test the shifting...spin the counter and ratchet the shift shaft to see all is well before proceding

|

5/23/2018 8:44 AM

Thank you for that information.

|

5/23/2018 12:01 PM

don't forget if you get it back together and it's not holding a gear correctly that the early RM had the goofy shift detent in the drain plug and you'll have to install it..

|

5/23/2018 12:46 PM

Thank you

|

6/24/2018 7:39 PM

Any of you guys know where I could find a stator for a 79 RM 125 new used or aftermarket it has to have four wire any help would be appreciated

|

6/25/2018 6:51 AM

I have lots of seasons on a 79 RM125...the stators fail. 79 and 80 are same. Its a common fault. I wouldn't put any hope a used one is good and worth good money...Get one 20-40 bucks-good as a core,, with good pigtail,,,and send it to Custom Rewind in Alabama,,,150 or so to rewind the coils. Chinese coils??....last last last resort on some models. Not on my 79 RM125 though.
$200 for a 'came out of running bike' fleabay special ???..sure it could start and run....idle all day...but 10 minutes into a moto when I'm out front and see the white flag..last thing I want is popping and it to quit. Thats the common failure sympton...gets hot/popping when screaming and shortly after dies. You won't know that until it's too late. Shop and choose wisely.

|