1976 Pursang 370 resto

Murph
Edited Date/Time 9/4/2013 11:37am
I bought a 1976 370 Pursang back in April, in need of a tidy up but a solid bike, or so I thought. Here is a pic of the bike as I bought it. Went to view and it started up first kick. Excellent thought I Woohoo

Hoping all that would be required would be a new set of rings and some tyres Wink , I took the top end down to find a knackered piston and bottom end. So a full rebuild of the engine was required.

As I went through the bike it was obvious it needed a full rebuild, so that is what I have been doing for the last 4 months or so. Here is the progress so far.

Engine rebuilt, new piston, rod kit all bearings and seals. Wheels fully rebuilt, rear hub relined, stainless spokes, new Pirelli tyres. Frame resprayed original silver. Brand new saddle sourced from Espana. New steering head bearings and swinging arm bushes. Tank and side panels have been resprayed but they are safely away at my dads house right now. Forks were the best bit of the bike and only needed seals. New Circle F pipe to replace leaky battered original.

Here is how it is looking so far:

I hope you all like it, and I will post a few more pics as the project goes on.
|
Murph
7/28/2013 2:08pm
Not sure, I will take your word for it Smile

I was going to replace them with Renthals, but then had a change of heart as the bend is actually pretty good and they suit the bike very well. I did trim a little off each end because I found them too wide, but otherwise I like them. Will do a bit more work on the bike this week and get the pics posted.
Murph
8/12/2013 11:36pm
Been away for a week, but got a bit more done in the last couple of days. Engine in, just need to fit head when I get it back from vapour blasting. Carb and airbox fitted, coil wired up (and I have sparks Smile ), just need to get the front end on and then the tank and sidepanels and she should be ready to start up.

PN27416
8/13/2013 3:49am
Nice work Murph, keep the pic's coming.

The Shop

Murph
8/13/2013 12:05pm
Here are some detailed pics of the wheels, which have been fully restored by Leicester Wheel and Brake Restorations here in the UK. This is a one man outfit, a chap called Rob Coley, who is an ex grass track sidecar racer (amazingly he seems quite sane when you talk to him Unsure )

Rob did a brilliant job, relining the rear hub and skimming the front one, then relining the brake shoes to match, so hopefully this will be one Bult that actually stops Shocked

He cleaned the outside of the hubs up on a lathe and repainted as original, then rebuilt the Akronts with stainless spokes. The only problem is one of my own making. I have fitted a 120/100 profile rear tyre thinking it would be right, but after installing the chain, I have discovered it is a bit too wide, so now I need to change it for a smaller 110/100 tyre. Blush

Murph
8/14/2013 7:29am
Getting a move on now. Front end on Smile

Should get the pipe and tank etc on at the weekend, then I can fire her up Woohoo Oh yes, refitting the cylinder head might be a good idea Blush
Murph
8/24/2013 2:54am
Well, here she is, all I need to do is fit the rear mounting bolt of the exhaust and the oils into the gearbox and clutch. Hope you like it. Should start her up in a day or so. Future jobs will be to replace (or rechrome) the kickstart and gearlever and make a nice billet brake torque arm. I had to change the rear tyre to a smaller one as I found the 120/100 size tyre was too big and made contact with the chain. Sad

MaxPower
8/24/2013 5:57am
you did an excellent job there Murph. Are you going to be able to learn how to shift with your right foot?
Murph
8/24/2013 10:15am
Thanks MaxPower, I am pleased with how she has turned out. Had a little blockage in the pilot circuit in the carb but once that was cleared she fired up nicely this afternoon.

Yes, these engines have two plugs, and both fire Smile The second plug isn't a spare. I know the KTM495 ran the same type of Motoplat, not sure if there were any others.

It will be interesting at first with the right foot gear change, but I did ride British bikes a lot in my younger days, so I should revert back quite quickly (famous last words eh?)
PN27416
8/26/2013 4:31am
Well done. Now place in your living room and enjoy!
RBrider
9/3/2013 4:52am
MaxPower wrote:
you did an excellent job there Murph. Are you going to be able to learn how to shift with your right foot?
Did they make a left shift USA model, as well as a right shift UK model in '76? Or is your bike a one off using earlier model shift/brake parts? Just curious.

Beautiful bike Murph! You did good.

RB
xtremeslide
9/3/2013 10:22am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2013 10:22am
Hi Murph,

Nice bike. Just out of curiosity, where did you get that exhaust or what brand it is?
Murph
9/3/2013 2:07pm
Thanks for the compliments.

I believe the bike could be bought with left or right hand gear change. It is possible to convert quite easily, but I fancy a bit of a challengeSmile

The pipe is a Circle F. Great quality, not a bad price and delivered when promised.
MX Scooter
9/4/2013 11:37am
Great job on the Pursang. I used to race Bultaco's from 1972 to 1976 and had a 250 like that. Beautiful to look at, fun to race but a lot of work to maintain. All my friends started buying Elsinore 250's and I was the holdout. They would put their Elsinore's away wet and race them again and again. Me, I was rebuilding my Pursang weekly! Smile

Post a reply to: 1976 Pursang 370 resto

The Latest