1974 Yamaha MX360

Edited Date/Time 1/28/2012 11:46pm
Starting to race a stock MX360. Hase new fork seals, 20 wt oil seven inches from the fork tube top, tires, chain and sprockets are new. Any tips or suggestions.
|
mx400bee
1/28/2012 4:49pm
That bike makes plenty of power but stock suspension has it`s limits. Maybe new springs for the forks and modern shocks to match your weight/speed. Emulators seem to really help from what i`ve heard.
Zeke27G
1/28/2012 9:38pm
I have the same bike, it's such a blast to ride right?!! That light switch power band!! Boooo-waaaahhhhhppp!!! Haha!!

I had Works Performance Shocks build me a pair of shocks for my weight and my oh my what a world of difference, next I plan on doing the race tech emulators in the forks with new seals and etc.

I might try a Circle F pipe, but the stock works for now as I too feel that bike has plenty of power. I also modified the rear brake pedal by welding on a more modern style brake pedal tip. The stock one is really small!! Make sure that you check all the bolts on the triple trees and the same goes for the handlebar clamps. I'm fairly new to the vintage mx and I found out quick that these old bikes stretch and move way more than a modern 450F!!

Let's see some pictures of your MX360!
1/28/2012 11:46pm
Take that garbage inner rotor ignition system off of it, and replace it with a complete 77 -79 YZ400 system. Much more reliable igniton, and makes the power delivery much more tractable, with an external flywheel system.

When you use up all of the bores on the cylinder, the 1980 Yamaha IT 425 pistons work quite nicely. The 360 liners have more than enough meat to accept the over bore.

75 model MX-YZ250-360-400 forks,or even the 75-76 IT 250-400 forks work a bit better than the 74 stuff. Don't get caught up in the leading axle craze. They increase the trail, and make turning worse than it is.

Stick with the straight axle design forks.

Carburetors up to 38 mm will slip into the stock "364" intakes.

Never was a fan of the counter balancer system. The last 360 I had ,I removed all of the balance garbage, and sent the crank, piston ,rings,pin,clips to Falicon where it was rebuilt,welded ,and balanced. Not cheap, but vibed less than the stock crank / balancer set up .

Post a reply to: 1974 Yamaha MX360

The Latest