1973 Honda Elsinore CR250M clutch basket interchange

wfoyz250
Edited Date/Time 7/7/2020 6:19am
As many know, some models parts crossover between them. I'm trying to source a clutch basket for the noted bike and I see that there is a strong similarity between the CR250 and the XL250. Straight cut gears, same tooth count, most everything looks the same.....OTHER than bronze bushings in the XL basket versus the needle bearings in the CR basket fitting over the shaft.
I have this idea that carefully removing the bronze bushing from the XL would provide the clearance needed to simply use the XL basket with the CR needle bearings so it would adapt on the shaft.
Joe....would you comment on this, thanks!
Pictured is the XL basket.
|
wfoyz250
7/1/2020 11:14am
wfoyz250 wrote:
As many know, some models parts crossover between them. I'm trying to source a clutch basket for the noted bike and I see that there is...
As many know, some models parts crossover between them. I'm trying to source a clutch basket for the noted bike and I see that there is a strong similarity between the CR250 and the XL250. Straight cut gears, same tooth count, most everything looks the same.....OTHER than bronze bushings in the XL basket versus the needle bearings in the CR basket fitting over the shaft.
I have this idea that carefully removing the bronze bushing from the XL would provide the clearance needed to simply use the XL basket with the CR needle bearings so it would adapt on the shaft.
Joe....would you comment on this, thanks!
Pictured is the XL basket.
another pic of the XL
sandman768
7/1/2020 2:10pm
I used a Mt/Mr basket on mine a long time ago, I had to use the crank gear as well as it was not straight cut splines, but everything fit & There were not a lot of options, bike ran fine.
wfoyz250
7/2/2020 7:00am
sandman768 wrote:
I used a Mt/Mr basket on mine a long time ago, I had to use the crank gear as well as it was not straight cut...
I used a Mt/Mr basket on mine a long time ago, I had to use the crank gear as well as it was not straight cut splines, but everything fit & There were not a lot of options, bike ran fine.
yeah the MR/MT gears are not straight cut that's why I considered the XL instead. It's simpler to adapt IF the center bushing can be removed from the bore and is there is "net" diameter for the needles bearings placement and around the shaft fitment.
wfoyz250
7/2/2020 7:07am
sandman768 wrote:
I used a Mt/Mr basket on mine a long time ago, I had to use the crank gear as well as it was not straight cut...
wfoyz250 wrote:
yeah the MR/MT gears are not straight cut that's why I considered the XL instead. It's simpler to adapt IF the center bushing can be removed...
yeah the MR/MT gears are not straight cut that's why I considered the XL instead. It's simpler to adapt IF the center bushing can be removed from the bore and is there is "net" diameter for the needles bearings placement and around the shaft fitment.
pic of a CR basket with needle bearings. notice the center bore of both the XL and the CR. Look at the center steel "cogged" insert of each basket. It looks the same. The bushing seems to be the only difference between the two.

The Shop

Post a reply to: 1973 Honda Elsinore CR250M clutch basket interchange

The Latest