125 USGP

oblitz
Fantasy
1472nd
Edited Date/Time 1/6/2021 1:58pm
Does anyone have any photos or videos from the 125 USGP’s?
|
PK97
3/25/2020 9:21am
1976 Smith and Hannah
OldPro277
3/25/2020 5:56pm
I have a bunch ,I'll need to find them and try to post. Some really cool pit shots, some of the parade lap (wearing no helmets !!!) A candid Rahier pic with his mechanic, the FMF team, The Fox team,the super cool white Euro YZ's . Might take me a day or two, but since we are in "lockdown" I may find them quicker. Are you looking for something in particular ?
wpark89
3/26/2020 1:04pm
Not sure what years you’re interested in...but I’m into Cagiva’s.

Here’s a shot of Danny Turners at Mid Ohio in 1980 and Massimo Contini’s works bike at the 1987 Steel City 125 USGP (Ross Maeda photo). Shame the 125 class never came to the US more than a few years.

The Shop

oblitz
Fantasy
1472nd
3/27/2020 6:26am
Awesome pics guys - keep’em coming!! Steel City USGP was the only one I was able to attend - looking for those pics during all of this downtime.
Tbteam
3/27/2020 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2020 4:33pm

A few weeks ago, a nice guy from Ohio came by my shop to take a look at my O'mara ME125. He was at this race and told a story of his girlfriend after the final moto saying that she could get Johnny's jersey. She disappeared into the cab of the box van with JO's mechanic, and what do you know? She came out with a muddy jersey!

He actually brought the jersey and gave it to me to go with the bike. Here's where the story gets interesting... I figured that the jersey that I have was one that Johnny wore that day. Maybe practice, or either moto. I just watched all five of the videos posted above, and I noticed that at the end of video 5, Johnny's mechanic is running back to the pits and guess what he's wearing? A Johnny O Mugen number 101 jersey. Now I'm not sure if I have a race jersey, or that one. Either way, it's great story.

PK97
3/27/2020 5:03pm
TBteam,

How many Mugen bikes do you have in there?? Damn, between you and Joe Newman you guys have some great bikes!
Tbteam
3/27/2020 5:26pm
PK97 wrote:
TBteam,

How many Mugen bikes do you have in there?? Damn, between you and Joe Newman you guys have some great bikes!
Funny, that bike came from Joe. I have an air cooled 1980, The Johnny O bike, two 1983 Mugen 125's and a 1986 Mugen 125. One of my 83's is up any Watts Perfections getting completely buffed out as we speak. It's almost been year!
oblitz
Fantasy
1472nd
3/28/2020 10:51am
Thanks to all for posting - keep’em coming!!
ohiomotoxer
3/29/2020 7:32am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2020 7:35am
We would get there Friday afternoon, park at the far South East of the track (in the area of the big jump where later the big doubles were added.

This area was filled with vans with their speakers on their roofs cranking out the popular albums of the era
People cooking on campfires, the thump of XR75's running about, it was a great party.

Pit bike riding/racing went on ALL night, there was a hill by the pits where everyone gathered with each rider trying to out do the other..fire was later added to the jump.

There was this one drunk guy who was being a complete jerk, so when he went to the potra potty some people stuck a stick in the door lock and proceeded to roll this cat down the hill...needless to say when the door swung open at the bottom of the hill he was covered in TP and all kinds of fluids......

The mechanics also had their own pit race.

One year it rained and the van guys decided to have a mud O cross.....funny seeing vans center punching each other...the ground was littered with fiberglass flares and spoilers.

The one thing about Mid Ohio is that there was always something going on at any given time of the day/night.

Oh yea we also had this little thing called the Smith Hannah battle...
Tumblin
3/29/2020 8:59am
I spent the weekend with the Villopoto's friends and family at Dan's memorial race last Labor day. Pat Richter was the fastest to come out of our neck of the woods and it was great getting the opportunity to share old stories and catching up with Ryan's uncle.
Pat should have won that day in 77, he was consistently faster throughout that day, practice, early, mid and late motos. Still top American ment a lot back then.
It still boggles my mind how important that class was in the world and locally....and then "poof!!" with the stroke of a fucking pen.
Tbteam
3/29/2020 3:47pm
Looks like my detective work paid off. The jersey I have was worn by Johnny's mechanic at the 1980 USGP. Certainly backs up the story of the young lady who was willing to "visit" said mechanic in the cab of the box van after the last moto!

CDswinehart
3/31/2020 10:37am
Have a program from the 1973 Zoar Valley USGP (Springville, NY) but did not attend. Interesting the names that did participate though. Will have to go find that now....
Tbteam
4/1/2020 8:03pm
Have a program from the 1973 Zoar Valley USGP (Springville, NY) but did not attend. Interesting the names that did participate though. Will have to go...
Have a program from the 1973 Zoar Valley USGP (Springville, NY) but did not attend. Interesting the names that did participate though. Will have to go find that now....
I was there as a 14 year old. I’d give anything to see that program!
MaxPower
4/2/2020 7:41pm
Where was the USGP track locared at Mid Ohio? I went to vintage days once. Doesn't seem like a premium location for a GP mx track . Great place to race pit bikes in a circle though
ohiomotoxer
4/3/2020 2:16am
Two different places and locations.

Yellow = current sports car course.
Black = USGP long gone the the music theater and lake are still there

wgsenecanhr
12/18/2020 8:22pm
Well TB, I'd better go dig it up then....
Witnessed my first pro race at Zoar Valley. '72 or '73. The field was packed with Euro's and the rookie that made the big impression on me was Gerritt Wolsink in his bright green leathers, I believe on a CZ. Clearly remember peering over the top of the snow fence on a fast left hand uphill sweeper and ducking all of the roost. That was the day my 11-12 yr old self fell in love with MX.
JBlain619
12/22/2020 11:36am
MaxPower wrote:
Where was the USGP track locared at Mid Ohio? I went to vintage days once. Doesn't seem like a premium location for a GP mx track...
Where was the USGP track locared at Mid Ohio? I went to vintage days once. Doesn't seem like a premium location for a GP mx track . Great place to race pit bikes in a circle though
The riders would race their rental cars there. Ask me how I know!
My mom, dad, and I were camped there kind of away from things because my dad brought my 50 so I could ride when I got bored. I'm not for certain who all the riders were but they set up a couple of trash barrels to race around. It started raining and one of them slid right into the side of my dad's new van he just got lettered up for his shop. I can vividly remember it was the first time I had ever really seen my dad lose his shit. He was a Gunny in the USMC and a lot of that came out. Laughing Coincidentally the next day we won 2 of the Puch mopeds they were giving away that year!
JBlain619
12/22/2020 11:38am
We would get there Friday afternoon, park at the far South East of the track (in the area of the big jump where later the big...
We would get there Friday afternoon, park at the far South East of the track (in the area of the big jump where later the big doubles were added.

This area was filled with vans with their speakers on their roofs cranking out the popular albums of the era
People cooking on campfires, the thump of XR75's running about, it was a great party.

Pit bike riding/racing went on ALL night, there was a hill by the pits where everyone gathered with each rider trying to out do the other..fire was later added to the jump.

There was this one drunk guy who was being a complete jerk, so when he went to the potra potty some people stuck a stick in the door lock and proceeded to roll this cat down the hill...needless to say when the door swung open at the bottom of the hill he was covered in TP and all kinds of fluids......

The mechanics also had their own pit race.

One year it rained and the van guys decided to have a mud O cross.....funny seeing vans center punching each other...the ground was littered with fiberglass flares and spoilers.

The one thing about Mid Ohio is that there was always something going on at any given time of the day/night.

Oh yea we also had this little thing called the Smith Hannah battle...
Remember this well! We parked in the same area. Did you know of Fun With Wheels Suzuki out of Columbus??
indy_maico
1/4/2021 12:05pm
Witnessed my first pro race at Zoar Valley. '72 or '73. The field was packed with Euro's and the rookie that made the big impression on...
Witnessed my first pro race at Zoar Valley. '72 or '73. The field was packed with Euro's and the rookie that made the big impression on me was Gerritt Wolsink in his bright green leathers, I believe on a CZ. Clearly remember peering over the top of the snow fence on a fast left hand uphill sweeper and ducking all of the roost. That was the day my 11-12 yr old self fell in love with MX.
I was at the Zoar Valley race in 1974. I think Marty Smith won it.

I remember reading in Dirt Bike or Motocross Action magazine that the sure-fire way to sneak into the pits at a race was to walk in backwards, because people watching the gates will see your face and equate it with walking out. If you are walking in they will see your back.

Yeah, that didn't work!

Post a reply to: 125 USGP

The Latest