Yz250fx vs Kx250x

DB505
Anyone compared the Yz250fx and the Kx250x?
Is so, what are your thoughts?
|
tomvan72
3/1/2021 4:40pm
I just bought the KX250X and love it. I have ridden my buddy's YZ250FX and it was awesome too. The YZ suspension seemed more set up for the woods than the KX. But the KX gave me more options on fitting a taller rider. Im 6'2" and that made a big difference. Suspension can be set up however you like, But its harder to change the ergonomics.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/2/2021 7:58am
tomvan72 wrote:
I just bought the KX250X and love it. I have ridden my buddy's YZ250FX and it was awesome too. The YZ suspension seemed more set up...
I just bought the KX250X and love it. I have ridden my buddy's YZ250FX and it was awesome too. The YZ suspension seemed more set up for the woods than the KX. But the KX gave me more options on fitting a taller rider. Im 6'2" and that made a big difference. Suspension can be set up however you like, But its harder to change the ergonomics.
How is the stall resistance of the KX? Is the throttle pretty responsive?
tomvan72
3/2/2021 9:39am
The stall resistance gets better with me getting more use to the clutch. The throttle response is awesome being that its my first fuel injected bike!
DB505
3/2/2021 11:23am
Yea I was thinking the yz susp would be a little better, how’s the power compared?
Thanks for responding by the way.

The Shop

CKNY
3/2/2021 12:18pm
DB505 wrote:
Yea I was thinking the yz susp would be a little better, how’s the power compared?
I don’t think the YZ suspension is better. It’s a tiny bit softer. The FX is just more comfortable in tighter stuff and conditions where you need traction. The bottom end is stouter than the Kawi. It lugs better. The KX flat out rips in the faster stuff and the suspension settings are great. Clutch is a game changer depending on what you ride. I ended up putting a Magura on my FX.
If you do more GP style stuff or GNCC the Kawi is a little weapon.
tomvan72
3/2/2021 1:50pm
I Have been tweaking my KX for woods and hare scrambles. maybe the occasional GNCC. Definitely softer on the suspension.Both bike have KYB. Just a matter of getting the settings right for ride style. I had the ECU remapped at TokyoMods.com to their "Woods" setting. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. It should give more bottom end and make the on/off throttle changes much smoother and also help prevent the stall. I have a few other tricks to try but I like to do one mod at a time so i can see how much it helps or doesn't!
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/6/2021 9:03am
DB505 wrote:
CKNY wrote:
I don’t think the YZ suspension is better. It’s a tiny bit softer. The FX is just more comfortable in tighter stuff and conditions where you...
I don’t think the YZ suspension is better. It’s a tiny bit softer. The FX is just more comfortable in tighter stuff and conditions where you need traction. The bottom end is stouter than the Kawi. It lugs better. The KX flat out rips in the faster stuff and the suspension settings are great. Clutch is a game changer depending on what you ride. I ended up putting a Magura on my FX.
How would you rate the kx clutch vs the ktm/husky? More modulation?
CKNY
3/6/2021 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2021 12:49pm
DB505 wrote:
CKNY wrote:
I don’t think the YZ suspension is better. It’s a tiny bit softer. The FX is just more comfortable in tighter stuff and conditions where you...
wrc777 wrote:
How would you rate the kx clutch vs the ktm/husky? More modulation?
Similar progressive feel like the Magura on my Husky. Maybe a little more free play feel initially. Not nearly as on and off feeling like the Brembo.
DB505
3/21/2021 2:51pm
tomvan72 wrote:
I Have been tweaking my KX for woods and hare scrambles. maybe the occasional GNCC. Definitely softer on the suspension.Both bike have KYB. Just a matter...
I Have been tweaking my KX for woods and hare scrambles. maybe the occasional GNCC. Definitely softer on the suspension.Both bike have KYB. Just a matter of getting the settings right for ride style. I had the ECU remapped at TokyoMods.com to their "Woods" setting. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. It should give more bottom end and make the on/off throttle changes much smoother and also help prevent the stall. I have a few other tricks to try but I like to do one mod at a time so i can see how much it helps or doesn't!
Have you had a chance to ride with the Tokyo mod yet?
tomvan72
3/22/2021 4:58am
tomvan72 wrote:
I Have been tweaking my KX for woods and hare scrambles. maybe the occasional GNCC. Definitely softer on the suspension.Both bike have KYB. Just a matter...
DB505 wrote:
To be honest, not really. I just had a double knee replacement 6 weeks ago and I am still on the mend. I have however been putting around my yard on the KX. I have a very small trail more suitable for the mini bike. One thing I noticed however is that the initial grunt at the crack of the throttle is way better! Almost put me on my butt!
DB505
3/22/2021 4:37pm
tomvan72 wrote:
DB505 wrote:
tomvan72 wrote:
To be honest, not really. I just had a double knee replacement 6 weeks ago and I am still on the mend. I have however been...
To be honest, not really. I just had a double knee replacement 6 weeks ago and I am still on the mend. I have however been putting around my yard on the KX. I have a very small trail more suitable for the mini bike. One thing I noticed however is that the initial grunt at the crack of the throttle is way better! Almost put me on my butt!
Wow dubble knees ouch, be careful! Just curious I’m gona go back to a 250, for gncc type racing, I just can’t deside witch one I should go with. Lol
tomvan72
3/22/2021 5:07pm
DB505 wrote:
tomvan72 wrote:
To be honest, not really. I just had a double knee replacement 6 weeks ago and I am still on the mend. I have however been...
DB505 wrote:
Wow dubble knees ouch, be careful! Just curious I’m gona go back to a 250, for gncc type racing, I just can’t deside witch one I...
Wow dubble knees ouch, be careful! Just curious I’m gona go back to a 250, for gncc type racing, I just can’t deside witch one I should go with. Lol
Just pic a color I guess!!
DB505
3/22/2021 5:54pm
Yea, the yz’s are few and far between but if you find one you better jump on it, there seems t be more kx’s available and I’ve seen them discounted so we’ll see lol
tomvan72
3/22/2021 6:34pm
Im digging the KX. With the few little tweaks Ive made, Its going to be good! And its so nimble! And I think with the ECU remapping, its about perfect
tomvan72
4/7/2021 3:45am
UPDATE

I finally got out on the KX after the mods for the bike, and for my knees!
The bike has the TokyoMods ECU remap with the Woods setting. Also the suspension has been re-sprung and oil heights set a little different in the forks. We left the valving the same for now. Instantly the bike is glued to the ground yet has plenty of suport on big flat landings. Flat corners are awesome and taking inside lines is like auto pilot. The throttle now just feels like it is a complete extension of my hand. So smooth and broad. The power comes on so easy but with out the herky jerky feel. And rolling off is super smooth as well. I feel like I could roll a gear higher if I wanted without any bogging. This was only one ride. I am going back out today to give another rip.

Now if I can just get my fitness back up to speed. The new knees are amazing as well!

Post a reply to: Yz250fx vs Kx250x

The Latest