The New 2022 KLR650 Adventure: 3,000 miles later…

TeamGreen
Edited Date/Time 11/21/2022 6:52pm
Just got notice that my new scoot will be avail soon and was asked if I wanted ABS or Non-ABS...I went with “non”.

Here’s the point: Kawasaki had only listed the ABS version for $7,999 (KLR 650 Adventure ABS).
The Non-ABS is $7,699 Nice!

If I understood things correctly: all 3 KLR650 variants will be avail in ABS -or- Non-ABS.
|
grunkster
8/11/2021 10:33am
get it? report? loving my T7 but curious
TeamGreen
8/14/2021 6:34pm
I got a text while taking the XR thru tech at “Vegas to Reno” on Thursday Laughing
“Your package has arrived!”

But, I was kinda busy…

I’ll be heading up to Redding to get it Weds Smile
nytsmaC
8/16/2021 3:45pm
Awesome! I had a 2017, checked out the preproduction unit that was on display at my dealer a couple months ago, lots of nice refinements.
buenavides
8/16/2021 7:49pm
You guys look so happy, congratulations on your new ride.

The Shop

Bearuno
8/18/2021 12:31am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2021 12:32am
Team Green :

I've been contemplating getting an ADV bike ( f**k I hate that label - all bikes are Adventure bikes to me - I traveled more than half of Australia decades ago on a DT175 and an XL185) for a few years now.

Through me working in the MC industry, I've been able to use a tremendous variety of 'ADVs' over many years. And, I have no desire to ride any more 'Super Tankers'.

So, it's singles and, perhaps mid sized twins. And, probably well down the capacity scale, too.

The KLR, the "coming" 490 KTM / KTHUSKY, 650 DRs, XRs, right down to something as 'Doof Doof' as a Himalayan. Even a 300 Honda.

You seem to be on an XR650R in your pics.

To me, a ADV based on the 'BRP', as they are called, would be fantastic. Honda had the 700cc Electric Start Quad - that engine, in the 650R chassis, with a big tank and fairing, and other 'ADV' things, would be something I'd release the moths in my wallet for. I've ridden the R quite a bit, and they are something special, even in this day, and as a ADVer by Honda, I think it would be damned near perfect.

What do you think on that?

But no, it isn't never going to happen ......... Sad
TeamGreen
8/21/2021 9:54am

Picked it up yesterday. It’s RIDICULOUSLY COMFORTABLE and is as good a street bike as any of those art-deco “would-be” twins and nostalgics “universal” bikes. It’s vastly superior ergonomically than anything other model of bike I can think of under $10K (I paid $7399 US plus fees).

I was reminded of my Dyna Sport Touring from years ago…but the KLR is MORE COMFORTABLE. Funny.
TeamGreen
8/21/2021 10:21am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2021 10:30am
Bearuno wrote:
[b]Team Green :[/b] I've been contemplating getting an ADV bike ( f**k I hate that label - all bikes are Adventure bikes to me - I...
Team Green :

I've been contemplating getting an ADV bike ( f**k I hate that label - all bikes are Adventure bikes to me - I traveled more than half of Australia decades ago on a DT175 and an XL185) for a few years now.

Through me working in the MC industry, I've been able to use a tremendous variety of 'ADVs' over many years. And, I have no desire to ride any more 'Super Tankers'.

So, it's singles and, perhaps mid sized twins. And, probably well down the capacity scale, too.

The KLR, the "coming" 490 KTM / KTHUSKY, 650 DRs, XRs, right down to something as 'Doof Doof' as a Himalayan. Even a 300 Honda.

You seem to be on an XR650R in your pics.

To me, a ADV based on the 'BRP', as they are called, would be fantastic. Honda had the 700cc Electric Start Quad - that engine, in the 650R chassis, with a big tank and fairing, and other 'ADV' things, would be something I'd release the moths in my wallet for. I've ridden the R quite a bit, and they are something special, even in this day, and as a ADVer by Honda, I think it would be damned near perfect.

What do you think on that?

But no, it isn't never going to happen ......... Sad
The racing pictures are a "Proper Bruce Ogilvie sorted-out Honda XR650R with HRC top-end and carb kit". For the V2R or most SCORE race courses? It's a Big Fast Cadillac.

As to a BRP based ADV and the 7000 that Honda made for a few years that you're thinking about...

This new Kawi delivers on most all of that:
650 Single with the necessary big'ol crank inertia.
E-Start and a solid electrical system/makes enough juice to power plenty of accessories.
EFI that seems to be "spot-on".
The amount of travel on the Kawi suspension is right in the 'sweet spot' for the average user.
(I'll be adding emulators/stiffer springs in the fork/new legit shock from Cogent for about $2K. A necessity for me)

It really does answer all the things you talk about. I'm stoked.

I'll end up with around $12K for all the various things I'm gonna do to it...from ECU to Suspension...real Panniers...
More protection for the bottom.
A proper Non-Gov't Approved ECU or Reflash (ALWAYS)
All the KLR Community "known engine improvements" like:
1. The DooHickey (Better balancer/cam chain adjuster)
2. The ThernoBob (An actual thermostat)
Probably a center stand for truly long trips (SW Motech)
Some serious lighting from Baja Designs (Tho...Stock lights are pretty impressive)
Tires and IRC/Bridgestone tubes
REAL handlebars (1-1/8" Mika RC bend)
ODI grips...(May change out the switch-gear/throttle ass'y if necessary to get the "Controls Set-Up" I want)
Galfer Brakes (ALWAYS!)
Guts Seat (ALWAYS)
So much of the un-necessary plastic and steel lighting/DOT bracketry and what-not is coming OFF
Smaller-birghter LED flashers
Portable 12V coffee maker/hot water set-up...other camping gear
A legit safety kit
Some spares for the longer trips...tubes...oil filters and what-not.

Yup, spending a bit more money to get a true Trans-Con bike ain't no big deal (A Proper "Out-Back-Bike" to an Aussie).

Btw, I aid just over $9K out the door with all the taxes, fees and the optional lower seat (Which should arrive next-week)
TeamGreen
8/21/2021 10:28am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2021 10:31am
This goofy assed bracket is the kinda crap that makes a 400 pound bike into a 470 pound bike! Grinning
It didn’t even last long enough for the bike to be rolled out of the showroom! More of that crap is coming off. I’m guessing the “trail version” of this thing will be sub 420#.
That bracket is a painted/powder coated steel bracket with 2 reflectors plus the fasteners that mounted it: estimate it as 1 pound of stupid shit!
Laughing
TeamGreen
8/23/2021 2:18am

Took it off-roading & it does pretty damn good. Any sort of jumping needs be done Super Cautiously! The forks bottomed so hard I thought I’d blown the uppers thru the bottom of the sliders!
Grinning
It’s got a really great “do all” gear box. It reminds me of a Caterpillar diesel: it wants to keep running and will chug from way, way, way down low.

Anything steep or technical requires your full attention. Brakes are excellent. Chassis is as stable as our XR650R racers…and it feels even more “forgiving” in the rocky stuff.

TeamGreen
9/3/2021 5:21pm
Uh, oh! Someone left their bike at Yoshimura…

grunkster
9/8/2021 4:01pm
Oh.... and how much weight did that muffler knock off??!!
TeamGreen
9/17/2021 10:10am
Haven't "weighed" it, yet. It does rev a little quicker off the bottom & into the lower mid. It's a bit faster on the road than the older versions...it tries real hard to go 100 (104 indicated/98 GPS). The pipe isn't too loud...but, I do miss the complete "quiet" of the stock system and will be working on making the Yosh slightly quieter. It looks great and it IS way lighter.

Stock suspension is pretty soft for any kind of -real- off roading...but, we're talking about stuff a lot of KLR buyers won't be doing...
Grinning

Rode it for the 1st time WITHOUT the bags....SO MUCH BETTER in the wind. You know, those side-winds and "off-axis" winds you get out in The Dez? Also, for a weekend ride, I can get by on a small duffle strapped to the rear rack (clothing, hiking boots, over-night stuff...etc.). In other-words, I stay motel-hotels at night and use the pool in the morning!
Places like Mammoth, Bridgeport, Bishop...etc.

This bike is A BLAST on Ubber-Twisty roads like the AMAZINGLY NEWLY PAVED CA 108/Sonora Pass...or 120 up into Yosemite (front he East, of-course!)...or many of the amazing passes over The White Mountains of the Cali-Nevada Dez...and I mean this thing is A BLAST that people on Ducatis and BMWs can't seem to get over: they sure as hell don't like the guy on the $7,500 bike strolling right by them in the twisties OR on forrest roads...
Woohoo

This is simply The Ultimate Bang For The Buck in the Adventure category.

I'm up to 2,500 miles.
The stock rear tires is about gone (NO FLATS!)
I've been running 23-26 PSI. REMEMBER! THis bike is HEAVY! It's 470 with a full tank and THEN I GO ABD STRAP MORE CRAP ON IT!
Grinning
So, run more air "than usual" in your tires to get the "normal" performance/protection you expect at 15-17 PSI on your normal "off-road" bike.
I'm installing Kenda's "Big Block" adventure tires and I'm contemplating something like the Tubliss system.
cbarber
Fantasy
1340th
9/18/2021 6:39pm
Hey Manny or anyone else...
Now that I'm getting old(not done motoing yet) dual sports are catching my eye. Never rode one in my life. Have had harleys and sport bikes in the past, so not a stranger to riding pavement. Always intrested me some and now I have a crazy idea to ride from Minnesota to the Canadian border and ride the continental divide trail south to Denver, then head towards the black hills, then home. It will be pavement, gravel roads and single track. So enough blabbing....

I have been looking at klr's, Dr650's, drz400's African twins, crf450l's and anything else along those lines. I keep coming back to the klr. I believe I am going to be happier with it on the pavement, but I think a drz or crf would be better in the dirt but I would suffer on long pavement stretches. How bad is the klr in the dirt? What would you do? ( I think I know after looking at your offroad thread a dozen times)
Thanks in advance!
TeamGreen
9/19/2021 11:56am
cbarber wrote:
Hey Manny or anyone else... Now that I'm getting old(not done motoing yet) dual sports are catching my eye. Never rode one in my life. Have...
Hey Manny or anyone else...
Now that I'm getting old(not done motoing yet) dual sports are catching my eye. Never rode one in my life. Have had harleys and sport bikes in the past, so not a stranger to riding pavement. Always intrested me some and now I have a crazy idea to ride from Minnesota to the Canadian border and ride the continental divide trail south to Denver, then head towards the black hills, then home. It will be pavement, gravel roads and single track. So enough blabbing....

I have been looking at klr's, Dr650's, drz400's African twins, crf450l's and anything else along those lines. I keep coming back to the klr. I believe I am going to be happier with it on the pavement, but I think a drz or crf would be better in the dirt but I would suffer on long pavement stretches. How bad is the klr in the dirt? What would you do? ( I think I know after looking at your offroad thread a dozen times)
Thanks in advance!
ALL the actual dirt-bikes ARE dirt-bikes and they WILL be better "off-road". They SUCK on the street AND they REALLY SUCK on the Highway and they SUPER SUCK on the Freeway.

The KLR that I have is a Big Heavy Pig...compared to my "dirt-bikes", that is!
Compared to most big street bikes? It's better than most. In-fact, on twisties it's a blast to hunt down Johnny Ducati & it seems to REALLY piss those guys off...when you pass them...standing up...
Woohoo
Again, let's be fair to the bike...I come from KTM 450 SXFs and JCR Speed set-up CRF450Xs for Baja...those are legit bikes that allow you to do ANYTHING and I take that silly-foolish attitude with me when I throw a leg over my KLR.

The bike is A BLAST to take out on the road. I leave Dana Point and ride the slab alllll the way out to Glen Helen and jump off-road out there in the wash right by the infamous track and make my way up Cajon Pass (sp?). From there I use a few back-roads and dirt-roads to get out to El Mirage and start picking my trials and dirt roads from there. It truly is an "Adventure"!

The bike is REALLY soft and that seems to be because it's aimed at "light adventure touring" peeps. All the while, kooks like us? Well, we see rolling pseudo-whoops and think..."Let's go!"
Uh, no!
Not "stock".
You need to roll those VERY slowly and carefully.
Been there, done that and our friends in SxS's have made a LOT of places so rough and whooped out that ya NEED to be CAREFUL.
But...
But!
There's people like Cogent that make an excellent replacement shock for just $1500 and "valves & springs" for the front for under $400. All of which put A LOT MORE OFF-ROAD in your future.

Now, I've been taking this thing EVERYWHERE...stock. I slow *Way The Hell Down & take it REAL easy. It goes just about anywhere I'm stupid enough to take it. Period. It climbs steeper and more "technical" stuff that I thought it would. It's a really good Over-Sized & Over-Weight Wannabe Trail-Bike.

Let's talk budget:

I have $9K in this thing after all the taxes, fees and the lower seat that I haven't put on it...yet.

I'm guessing that between Cogent suspension, performance upgrades and "other" mods...1 1/8" bars...more lights (Baja Designs via JCR...REAL lights!, Nelson-Riggs or comparable soft-bags & other ADV gear including a dedicated helmet-jacket-pants-gloves (already have the TLD Scout SE pant, AWESOME!)...well...

I'll be into this "segment" to the tune of $13K by year's end.
That's for EVERYTHING!
TOTAL.

And I'll have the ability to go 250+ miles and carry all I need AND rail into the night! (Btw, the stock lights are superb...for stock. Note that this thing has stock "driving lights". I -LOVE- night riding. Got the bug on my 1st Rip to Cabo back in 2009).
Again, bike all built out, all my gear and even some 'camping/hiking' gear for camping out on the trail...
$13Kish...ALL IN.

Here's the point...
From the Yamaha T7 (Faster & better suspension) to the KTM 890 (Also Faster and better suspension)...BOTH are excellent and "more motorcycle"...but...

You aren't gonna have the T7 built out for ADV for less than $16-18K. People are paying a helluva lot of money for those at the moment versus the "$9,999.00" they're listed at. I see people paying $12-13K just for the bike by the time they get it "Out the Door". Sad; but, true.

The KTM? The base model is going out the door for around $15K and that seems to be a "good price" and the R will set ya back another coupl'a grand. That's just for the bike...no panniers, no add'l lighting...etc.

Fact: BOTH the T7 and the KTM890 and 890 R are WORTH IT!!!
If that's whatcha want AND you're in the mood to spend that much.
BOTH bikes need considerable add'l budget to be fully "farkled" for ADV Touring.
BOTH bikes WILL allow you to go FASTER 'off-road' compared to the KLR.
All the while, BOTH bikes eat gas...are taller and sure as hell aren't "lighter" in the real world when you go "pick them up off the ground" once you have them comparably equipped to the KLR 650 Adventure. So...there's always that simple truth.

If I was gonna go "all in"? I'd buy the KTM R and start rigging it for EXACTLY the kind of riding I was gonna do.
If I wanted to hall ass...ROOST!...and was willing to wait...& spend some coin to outfit it for real ADV riding? Get the T7! It HAULS ASS...(it does need stiffer springs, too).

I was gonna dabble in it and have some fun? I got the KLR..."Adventure". I've convinced myself to slow down and take it easy off-road...and...I've still gone PLENTY of places I thought I wouldn't...or shouldn't...
But, I did.
Slowly and carefully...without dropping the bike or getting into too much trouble: I did "dig a hole" waaaay too quickly and easily due to not considering how bad the stock tires where...in the sand...talk about 'fun" digging it out!
Laughing
This was just southwest of Bishop taking a cut-off line thru a real sandwash...not the place to take risks on a stocker with stock tires! Live and learn...which is EXACTLY why I got this bike.

I'm having a blast with this thing.

"Slowing Way The Hell Down" defined: I took this thing for a ride in the Shasta National Forest when I 1st got it. Day 1. This was on trails/terrain that I know REALLY well. The bike was A LOT of mass and was HUGE compared to the usual off-road bikes I usually rode on these trails. I figured out, VERY QUICKLY, that I needed to 'take it easy'. I think knowing & understanding that this bike is LITERALLY 200 POUNDS!!! HEAVIER than my fully loaded up 2020 CRF450X Baja bike was a really good thing...
Since then, I've kept in mind that this thing is "a lot of MASS" with really soft suspension and almost non-existent Rebound Damping in the rear. Combine that with REALLY GREAT BRAKES and it's easy to slow down...
Sounds like a joke, right?
Nope!
It was a Reckoning!
Wink
cbarber
Fantasy
1340th
9/19/2021 3:13pm
Awesome! Thanks for the thorough reply. This is what I needed to "convince" myself I need one! Your first paragraph pretty well sums it up. I am not sure I want to dump the cash on an adv bike yet... I believe the klr will fit the bill for now. I just need to get the bike, springs and the shock. Thanks Manny!
TeamGreen
9/22/2021 2:12pm
grunkster wrote:
but what about the doohickey?! :-)
Kawi says it’s the same as the last update (2014?) & not an issue. I may have Eagle Mike do it anyways.
TeamGreen
9/26/2021 8:03am
Well, after a month and around 3,000 miles…? I love this thing. The Yosh slip on required it being there for a week. They Dyno it utilizing the O2 input and tweak it for best fit -and- performance & all that. I think there’s some “new” stuff coming from Yosh for the new KLR…oh, and, the improvement is a bit more noticeable than what we’re “used to” on our MXers.

Well, Yosh needs it again and a coupl’a other companies need the bike for product development…and I -REALLY- like riding it…so…
Oh…and…
I REALLY want a spare set of wheels (the axles are larger diameter on the new bikes & the rims are new/stronger: the stick wheels are awfully damn nice!). Here’s the problem: wheels ARE NOT available for anything resembling a reasonable price. You can get Warp 9 wheels for the older bikes & try to change out all the bushings, bearings and races to fit the new axles…but…uh…no! I’m not a huge fan of those wheels. Stock hubs or wheels were silly expensive and no one knew when they’d actually “be here”…so, my usual “get some hubs and go to Dubya” solution wasn’t gonna work, either.

And… since my dealer, Lee’s Honda-Kawasaki-Polaris-Beta has A STASH of new KLR Adventures…? Well…

I bought another one, put my “low seat” on it & some real tires. Adjusted the rebound all the way in and then 1/4 turn back out…&…
Took it to Whiskeytown/Shasta Forrest and got it DIRTY!
Yup. Treating ADV just like moto: gonna build them exactly the way I want them and ALWAYS have a bike “good to go”.
grunkster
9/29/2021 7:57am
hopefully yosh and whoever else develops product gets it out over my MN winter, so i will be ready to rock in the spring!
TeamGreen
9/29/2021 2:47pm
grunkster wrote:
hopefully yosh and whoever else develops product gets it out over my MN winter, so i will be ready to rock in the spring!
Did you get a '22?
TeamGreen
10/7/2021 3:00pm
grunkster wrote:
sure did Manny! Orange non abs
Nice!

I may be sending one of mine to Albertville for the ride to Sturgis and back next year.
Misaligned
12/3/2021 9:12pm
You took that thing up Copley?! You're an animal. I pussed out going up that the other day on my CRF450L. I'm considering something that's better on the street. KLR650, T7 or a used DR650 modded the way I like.

T7 is a lot more than I want to spend on a 2nd bike. I had a perfectly setup DR650 that I regret selling. Considering doing it again. The new KLR is tempting, too...
cbarber
Fantasy
1340th
3/3/2022 8:01pm
I joined the klr club. I pulled the trigger on the khaki non abs base model two weeks ago. Getting it set up now. So far I have gotten new foot pegs, 1 1/8 bars, risers, bark busters, 12v socket wired in, and soft luggage. It's still cold and snow on the ground, but couldn't resist taking it out for a ride.
JustMX
9/27/2022 8:21am
Teamgreen,

If I remember right you have been messing with KLRs for a while, so I thought I would see if you could answer a question.

I bought a low miles farkled out 2004 that has an IMS tank on it.

I plan to ride some BDRs and thought a set of crash bars would be a good idea, but not sure if they will work with the IMS tank.

Any advice would be appreciated...
TeamGreen
11/7/2022 9:36am
JustMX wrote:
Teamgreen, If I remember right you have been messing with KLRs for a while, so I thought I would see if you could answer a question...
Teamgreen,

If I remember right you have been messing with KLRs for a while, so I thought I would see if you could answer a question.

I bought a low miles farkled out 2004 that has an IMS tank on it.

I plan to ride some BDRs and thought a set of crash bars would be a good idea, but not sure if they will work with the IMS tank.

Any advice would be appreciated...
Sorry this took so long…

If I had installed PROPER “ADV Crash Bars”…? I would have saved A LOT OF MONEY! Grinning

I’ve had to replace the right “lower fairing “ on bike #1….fell in some HUGE rocks…

Shout out to Eagle Mike…inventor of the DooHickey…for getting me a replacement panel!
sumdood
Fantasy
796th
11/13/2022 9:11am
I found a great illustration of ABS vs NON ABS.

TeamGreen
11/13/2022 9:26am
sumdood wrote:
I found a great illustration of ABS vs NON ABS. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/11/13/576562/s1200_ACC6EE59_ECE3_4FA1_A784_AA4FF6B2FF77.jpg[/img]
I found a great illustration of ABS vs NON ABS.

My South County brother “gets it”.
sumdood
Fantasy
796th
11/21/2022 5:24pm
Traction control on

Post a reply to: The New 2022 KLR650 Adventure: 3,000 miles later…

The Latest