E-line pipe guard

13/50 gearing

Enduro eng rear disk guard

Husky powerparts front disk guard

Husky powerparts skid plate with linkage guard

Enduro eng bark busters

TSP ecu remap

AT81 rear, MX33 front

(in the picture I have it setup for a dual sport ride with working lights thanks to a true north moto wiring harness, but it otherwise I run the stock mx front number plate and stock rear fender minus the light and tag mount)

tx300

3/12/2024 9:29am

3A967097-0CF7-4CF2-AEE8-D4251B7B54EC 2018 ktm 250 xc. To me the 2018 is the holy grail of ktm 2 strokes.

Air/spring hybrid forks with a ohlins insert replacing the stock dampening cartridge. Stock shock with a SDI bladder kid and a PC link. Neken sfs clamps. ODI RC4 bars. Counter shox front counter weight. All the suspension was done by PDR motorsports in Washington state. 

SX ignition. RK tech head, FMF fatty with 2.1 shorty silencer. V-force V4R reeds. Red power valve spring with a slavens S3 adjuster. Keihin carb. Ported cylinder by PDR motorsports. Tumbled transmission. 

Dubya wheels with Haan hubs and excel rims. TM designworks chain guide system. Plastics, frame graurds, skid plate, hand guards all from Acerbis. Not in the picture but I have an orange and blue Moto Seat seat. Flo levers all the way around.  

Also have a 2018 300xc with a very similar build except all the parts are anodized in blue instead of orange. 

3/14/2024 9:44am
This started life as a 2017 KTM EXC 250. Last model of KTMs road legal carb 2 strokes sold in Europe with the newer style of...

PXL 20231231 134345867 0

This started life as a 2017 KTM EXC 250.

Last model of KTMs road legal carb 2 strokes sold in Europe with the newer style of frame, counterbalanced motor etc.

I believe only the main engine components, frame and swingarm are stock after 300+ hours. For the mods I've done to make it the ultimate do anything bike:

Most obvious is a 2020+ desert tank, with 2020+ subframe, seat, plastics and frame guards as well as lots of little bits to swap it over. Just nice for a change after 6 year on the same bike.

Cone valve forks - Had to take matters into my own hands as the setup I got wasn't working for me (not official WP settings, local guy) finally got to a place where backed out it's nice over the rocks and cranked up it's good in the sand.

Billet clamps - I've never liked the cast KTM clamps, mostly because I don't like the way cast metal looks but the billet clamps are much more round where they grip the forks and feel like a much more premium part.

Revalved shock with a bladder - holds up really nice in all conditions, I'm a fan of PDS in the harder stuff and after a few years tweaking clickers I got a setting I'm happy with in fast stuff too.

Motomaster GP brakes - the most aggressive brake setup I could find, I have a nerve issue in my right hand so need strong brakes when it goes weak.

Two wheel sets - one 21-18 with mousses and one 21-19 with soft terrain tyres on.

Rider triangle tweaks - new bars, footpegs, levers, grips etc

Headlight and tail light + licence plate holder for road legality

For the motor I'm running a Vertex piston and a high compression head. I still have the mikuni but with comprehensive jetting changes and it's in a really good place.

Two exhaust set ups that I can mix and match for where I'm riding but at this point I'm pretty set on just the stock front pipe with the big FMF silencer. I also have a pc front and pc shorty but I prefer the stock+FMF pretty much everywhere.

I have a few sprockets to change but I find the 13 front almost always works and a 48 or 50 rear, believe it's close to stock and it works for everything so unless I want to be clicking off 100mph I don't change it.

In 2023 alone it's done almost every kind of riding possible, from sea level to 10,000ft. It was my only transport for two months using it as a dual sport, I've been trail riding in many different countries and conditions. I've strapped luggage on and camped off it. I did a hard enduro race and many practice days, raced an absolute mudder of a hare scramble. Rode MXGP tracks at Lommel and St Jean D'Angely and then to 80mph+ in the Sahara desert and jumping in the dunes.

It does everything I could possibly ask, yes sometimes a 300 would be better, or a 350, or a 450/500 in the desert, or a dedicated MX bike on the track... but if there was a track that went from hard enduro to desert to Mx to a trail ride and then a 10 minute cruise on the road to some single track I'd be willing to bet I'd personally be fastest and most comfortable on this bike.

Did the sub-frame and gas tank bolt right on? I once converted a 2008 ktm 200xc-w to the 2013-2015 ergonomics and had a make some modifications. I have a couple 2018 XC’s and it would be awesome to update them if it’s not too hard. 

3/14/2024 2:09pm
This started life as a 2017 KTM EXC 250. Last model of KTMs road legal carb 2 strokes sold in Europe with the newer style of...

PXL 20231231 134345867 0

This started life as a 2017 KTM EXC 250.

Last model of KTMs road legal carb 2 strokes sold in Europe with the newer style of frame, counterbalanced motor etc.

I believe only the main engine components, frame and swingarm are stock after 300+ hours. For the mods I've done to make it the ultimate do anything bike:

Most obvious is a 2020+ desert tank, with 2020+ subframe, seat, plastics and frame guards as well as lots of little bits to swap it over. Just nice for a change after 6 year on the same bike.

Cone valve forks - Had to take matters into my own hands as the setup I got wasn't working for me (not official WP settings, local guy) finally got to a place where backed out it's nice over the rocks and cranked up it's good in the sand.

Billet clamps - I've never liked the cast KTM clamps, mostly because I don't like the way cast metal looks but the billet clamps are much more round where they grip the forks and feel like a much more premium part.

Revalved shock with a bladder - holds up really nice in all conditions, I'm a fan of PDS in the harder stuff and after a few years tweaking clickers I got a setting I'm happy with in fast stuff too.

Motomaster GP brakes - the most aggressive brake setup I could find, I have a nerve issue in my right hand so need strong brakes when it goes weak.

Two wheel sets - one 21-18 with mousses and one 21-19 with soft terrain tyres on.

Rider triangle tweaks - new bars, footpegs, levers, grips etc

Headlight and tail light + licence plate holder for road legality

For the motor I'm running a Vertex piston and a high compression head. I still have the mikuni but with comprehensive jetting changes and it's in a really good place.

Two exhaust set ups that I can mix and match for where I'm riding but at this point I'm pretty set on just the stock front pipe with the big FMF silencer. I also have a pc front and pc shorty but I prefer the stock+FMF pretty much everywhere.

I have a few sprockets to change but I find the 13 front almost always works and a 48 or 50 rear, believe it's close to stock and it works for everything so unless I want to be clicking off 100mph I don't change it.

In 2023 alone it's done almost every kind of riding possible, from sea level to 10,000ft. It was my only transport for two months using it as a dual sport, I've been trail riding in many different countries and conditions. I've strapped luggage on and camped off it. I did a hard enduro race and many practice days, raced an absolute mudder of a hare scramble. Rode MXGP tracks at Lommel and St Jean D'Angely and then to 80mph+ in the Sahara desert and jumping in the dunes.

It does everything I could possibly ask, yes sometimes a 300 would be better, or a 350, or a 450/500 in the desert, or a dedicated MX bike on the track... but if there was a track that went from hard enduro to desert to Mx to a trail ride and then a 10 minute cruise on the road to some single track I'd be willing to bet I'd personally be fastest and most comfortable on this bike.

Did the sub-frame and gas tank bolt right on? I once converted a 2008 ktm 200xc-w to the 2013-2015 ergonomics and had a make some modifications...

Did the sub-frame and gas tank bolt right on? I once converted a 2008 ktm 200xc-w to the 2013-2015 ergonomics and had a make some modifications. I have a couple 2018 XC’s and it would be awesome to update them if it’s not too hard. 

Subframe goes straight on.

To fit the tank you need to remove the little rubber bushes that go onto the frame, 2 bolts and they're out. Barely worth mentioning but just incase you tried and thought it didn't work it's worth noting! 

It was important to me that if I was going to do it then it had to fit perfectly and not cause any issues with maintenance or stripping the bike. You honestly wouldn't be able to tell unless you looked closely and realised there was never a PDS carb model in that bodywork.

The frames were very similar between those years and I believe that the only difference was different flex characteristics, different rad mounts and a couple of degrees difference on the engine mounts. None of which has any affect on the change of bodywork

The Shop

Post a reply to: Share your off-road bike setup

The Latest