Off road comparison

DB505
With GNCC type off road racing growing
Wouldn’t it be nice to see real Bike comparisons of Bikes for Gncc type events?
After all we are bombarded with MX bike shoot outs!
We see some west coast off road or desert comparison !
Not really much east of the Rocky Mountains!
Just a thought!!!
|
katoom350
1/10/2021 11:15pm
I grew up racing harescrambles in Michigan with occasional practice track days. Then lived in Arizona for about 8 years and raced WORCS, desert off-road with occasional moto practice. I recently moved back to Illinois. I never understood why all the shootouts were done out west. I know the industry is out there, but, it doesn’t give any of us back east any real valuable info we can use.
I can tell you, our setups or so much different than out west. I raced right away when I moved out west and immediately could tell my setup was WAY off. Ended up getting the bike revlaved and set up for riding out there. It helped, but even technique out there is different. It’s so hard packed and rocky I never got truly comfortable. I raced all 8 years I was out there and can say that I almost didn’t even enjoy it. It’s a different world for sure. East coast is where it’s at in my opinion.
I raced a few times here in Illinois with my “Arizona” setup and fought the bike all day long.
I have often wondered your exact question, but after experiencing both worlds, I now don’t really bother with the shootout results. Reminds me of when magazines used to shit on KTM saying they all felt weird, but in Europe, they were praised. Different terrain and styles that’s all.
DB505
1/14/2021 3:58pm
katoom350 wrote:
I grew up racing harescrambles in Michigan with occasional practice track days. Then lived in Arizona for about 8 years and raced WORCS, desert off-road with...
I grew up racing harescrambles in Michigan with occasional practice track days. Then lived in Arizona for about 8 years and raced WORCS, desert off-road with occasional moto practice. I recently moved back to Illinois. I never understood why all the shootouts were done out west. I know the industry is out there, but, it doesn’t give any of us back east any real valuable info we can use.
I can tell you, our setups or so much different than out west. I raced right away when I moved out west and immediately could tell my setup was WAY off. Ended up getting the bike revlaved and set up for riding out there. It helped, but even technique out there is different. It’s so hard packed and rocky I never got truly comfortable. I raced all 8 years I was out there and can say that I almost didn’t even enjoy it. It’s a different world for sure. East coast is where it’s at in my opinion.
I raced a few times here in Illinois with my “Arizona” setup and fought the bike all day long.
I have often wondered your exact question, but after experiencing both worlds, I now don’t really bother with the shootout results. Reminds me of when magazines used to shit on KTM saying they all felt weird, but in Europe, they were praised. Different terrain and styles that’s all.
Exactly! That’s why I’d like to see some testing or setups that are a lil more east of the rockys oriented
Maybe someone in the mags will see this Lol
DB505
1/30/2021 11:04am
Pingu527 wrote:
Dirt Bike Test does some comparisons, but they are on the west coast.

https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/2019-250cc-off-road-race-comparison…

I know that’s why I said east of the rockys LOL,
I’ve been considering a 250fx I know there great! But having a 20 kx450, that I like but it’s a bit of a handful for the type racing I do ( GNCC type) I haven’t ridden one but am very interested in the 21 kx250x.

The Shop

Timo
1/30/2021 11:45am
Pingu527 wrote:
Dirt Bike Test does some comparisons, but they are on the west coast.

https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/2019-250cc-off-road-race-comparison…

DB505 wrote:
I know that’s why I said east of the rockys LOL, I’ve been considering a 250fx I know there great! But having a 20 kx450, that...
I know that’s why I said east of the rockys LOL,
I’ve been considering a 250fx I know there great! But having a 20 kx450, that I like but it’s a bit of a handful for the type racing I do ( GNCC type) I haven’t ridden one but am very interested in the 21 kx250x.
KX250X is the same transmission as the mx version. The FX has a simi close ratio 6 speed so it may be more versatile.
predel323
2/8/2021 4:56pm
I have a YZ250FX and my son in law has a CRF250RX and I can say that at the end of the day they are very similar. The biggest difference is the transmissions. For racing it’s a wash but for slower speeds/playriding/hill climbing the FX transmission is a big advantage.
WFO
2/11/2021 6:48am
Cali is where most of the factories are/were and the rags are out there as well. Cali has very little woods riding since its dried up like a prune. Most off road Champions come from anywhere but Cali. Desert racing is different, still cool but no where near racing wet roots and rocks and creeks. If they could ever figure a way to put the GNCC on TV it would be more popular than SX.
tomvan72
2/17/2021 6:25am
I just recently got a new KX250X. Before this I had a 07 KTM xcw 250. This was my first bike ever. Boy was it a beast! I hopped on a friends 07 CRF250X and Immediately fell in love. The KTM was set up for a faster rider and felt harsh. The Honda was set up more for the type of riding we have here and instantly I could not get enough. Ultimately I did my first Hare Scramble on that CRF250x and now I am hooked. The KX kinda just fell into my lap so this is now my new project!
I have a plan for the KX to get it where it needs to be. Biggest problem is availability of parts and knowledge. For 2021 both the MX bike and the off road bike are new platforms so is tough to find resources at the moment. I am fortunate that I have a good suspension guy now!

So, A GNCC shootout would be awesome!!

Post a reply to: Off road comparison

The Latest