Much Adventure riding in CT or MA?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/22/2020 12:08 PM

I’m considering buying a FE501 or KTM 790, but concerned there may not be many off-road areas within a reasonable riding distance from central CT to get enough use out of them.
Anyone do much Adventure riding in the Northeast, or do you load up and drive to areas where there’s good riding? Thanks!

|

11/29/2020 8:40 AM

Joko wrote:

I’m considering buying a FE501 or KTM 790, but concerned there may not be many off-road areas within a reasonable riding distance from central CT to get enough use out of them.
Anyone do much Adventure riding in the Northeast, or do you load up and drive to areas where there’s good riding? Thanks!

Where about in CT? I’m in Old Saybrook and do a lot of riding. I’ve built my bike recently for longer adventure rides but having trouble finding people that want to go more than day rides. I ride Cockaponsett and Nehantic State forests a lot but those are mainly day rides. Over the summer I went to New Hampshire and camped which was great and I planned to do the NEBDR at the end of summer but plans fell thru. I have a 2017 KTM 500 exc-f and put 7000 miles on it so I definitely ride and love exploring places I’ve never been before. I’m out of commission until February but after that I’m planning to do some longer rides. Download the OnX Off-Road app and you will find every trail there is anywhere.
I was originally going to buy the 501 but got a better deal on the KTM. I’m more than happy with it but had to buy a lot of aftermarket parts like the soft seat, luggage rack, and for adventure riding it’s not completely ready like a 790 but I don’t like super Moto wheels plus the handling of the 500 is easier in trails.
It depends on what type of riding you do most to make that decision. If your doing just day trail rides the 500 is a better choice. If your doing longer rides on the road the 790 is better.
This is my bike when I day ride.
Photo

This is my bike when I do longer adventure rides. I have a tent, sleeping bag, chair, air mattress, survival gear, food, water, tools, oil change, solar power banks, water filter, axe, 19 pairs of socks & undies, day clothes, rain gear, and extra GPS in the bags. I’m ready! 😁
Photo

|

11/29/2020 3:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2020 3:59 PM

Hi Chris,
I’m in Cromwell, Ct.
Looks like you have a great setup on the 500. How is it on the road? Can you ride a couple of hours comfortably at the speed limit or slightly above? I have a plated KX500 that I’m updating for general play use. I’m thinking the 790/890 or even the 1290 may be the right bike for to use on longer trips, I plan to go out west for continental divide and TAT trips, but would like to use it regularly here around home too. Did you get your KTM from MHR of zMotosports Nation? I plan to buy soon, but would really like to get a test ride in on a 790 & 1290 first to decide. The tank on the 1290 is huge, not too sure how it’ll respond in low speed maneuvering.

|

11/30/2020 7:27 PM

Joko wrote:

Hi Chris,
I’m in Cromwell, Ct.
Looks like you have a great setup on the 500. How is it on the road? Can you ride a couple of hours comfortably at the speed limit or slightly above? I have a plated KX500 that I’m updating for general play use. I’m thinking the 790/890 or even the 1290 may be the right bike for to use on longer trips, I plan to go out west for continental divide and TAT trips, but would like to use it regularly here around home too. Did you get your KTM from MHR of zMotosports Nation? I plan to buy soon, but would really like to get a test ride in on a 790 & 1290 first to decide. The tank on the 1290 is huge, not too sure how it’ll respond in low speed maneuvering.

Ya I put a lot into my bike and I like gearing that makes it cruise at 65 with a 1/8th throttle in 6th. My bike is never wound out and works so good in the low end. I recently bought the XL comfy soft seat so it’s much nicer after a couple hours but the downfall is it was over $300 for it. I’m also planning to do some long rides as I built the bike for the TAT but didn’t get to do it yet. My friend bought the 690 recently and loves it! Not the best for off road those bikes but he got some knobby tires which is way better. I’m yet to ride it yet though. I won’t be back around CT until January but once I’m back I’m down to go for some rides and meet up! There’s a few of us and check out my group CT dual sport riders on Facebook and I’ve meet a lot from there. I bought my bike in Plainfield and I know a trick to get any bike for cost! Message me directly if you want to know how. 😁

|

12/2/2020 11:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2020 2:50 PM

Thanks Chris. Yes, I’d be interested in your cost trick. I tried to send you a PM, but the “send me a message” link does not show next to your profile, I clicked the “add to friends” link, maybe that will enable it? Or call/text at 860/992-4377, I might buy something in the next couple of weeks.

|