Mid Race Energy

Anyone sneaking in a little bite of something DURING a 2 hour moto?
I tend to hit a wall around the 80 minute mark. Certainly I could be more fit and eat better.
Just curious if some of you more experienced guys have a little helpful info you could provide.

I run straight water in my hydration pack. Any hints on maybe something better I could do there?
|
144rider
12/31/2017 4:08pm
I use apple juice and ice cubes in mine (Tastes like shit if it's warm Sick ). Apples have the highest natural sugar content of all the common fruits. Best source of energy you can get IMO.
I'm not into supplements.
12/31/2017 7:30pm
I used to carry something to shove in my face, but I realized in the typical length races I only stop long enough to throw some gas in the bike. My water is just straight water, some of the electrolyte stuff bothers my guts a bit.

I did do a race last year that took me nearly 5 hours to finish, on 2 of my gas stops I would eat something like a granola bar or a cliff bar.

If I'm out riding with the guys I'll usually have a granola bar or two with me, but we're usually gone a few hours. I've never liked eating before or during something like playing sports or working out.

On hare scramble days I get up early specifically to eat breakfast so I have the energy already digested before we start racing.
On MX days with the early start times, I just snack a bit through the day... In either event, I pig out at the end of the day when riding is over.
Bbuhtz
1/3/2018 6:58am
Not much experience here but I will mention monitoring your heart rate to ensure you don't overexert yourself. This works well for me for those long race/rides.

I too run straight water in my hydration pack, anything else (snacks, Gatorade, etc) seems to upset my stomach during a moto.

+1 on getting a good breakfast before a ride as White_Trash mentioned. A healthy diet and being in shape is obviously the no brainer on lasting longer, I think that's why my wife is so critical on me Laughing haha
1/3/2018 7:16am
Thanks for the info guys.

Obviously we are no where near their level...but if you had to guess...do you think the top GNCC guys are running straight water in their packs?

The Shop

Titan1
1/3/2018 12:09pm
For me...its a matter of proper hydration leading up to the race, and the right diet (this is stuff that works for me...and everyone is different...so a lot of trial and error)...

I tend to over drink-some will say I shouldn't do that, but it works for me-(almost a gallon of water/day the week leading up to race day)...then I start pounding electrolytes the day before the race and the day of the race (I prefer pedialite...I'll drink a quart the day before and a quart the day of the race-my races usually start at noon, so I'm drinking 2 quarts the day and a half before my race). Being hydrated seems to give me more energy on race day than almost anything.

Then diet...I follow a pre-marathon diet leading up to race day (you can find a lot of those online, pick one that works for you)...with the three days prior to the race being the most important.

I try and eat every two hours leading up to the race...and time it so the last meal (usually a turkey and cheese sandwich...and a banana) is right before I head to the start line. (A lot of marathon sites say to time your last meal 2 or 3 hours before the start of the race...but that doesn't work for me...if I get hungry mid-race...that is the end of my race...I'm done and there is nothing I can do to recover from that...so I eat right before the race).

During the race...at the pit, I'm a fan of the "Gu" packets...I will usually put some pedialite/water mix (50/50) in a water bottle...and I'll pound a Gu packet, and then suck as much of the water bottle as I can while pit help is fueling the bike. (A lot of guys will use a disposable water bottle and then attach a straw to it, and then just put the straw in their mouth and suck it down while riding down pit row and then spit it out at the end of pit row...to give them more time to hydrate while getting back in the race).

Doing those things make sure that I have the energy to make it through the race without bonking. (as long as I'm in decent shape, riding regularly, etc.)

I'm racing hare and hounds, in dry desert heat...usually 3-4 hour races. So that plays into my preparation...if your races are longer/shorter, hotter/colder, more humid...then those things will all need to be factored into your race prep.
BAMX
1/3/2018 8:15pm
I like to pour some gatorade in with my water. I would say half a bottle and then fill there rest with water. Whatever you do, don't forget to rinse it out after the race.
1/8/2018 4:17am
I've never been a gatorade drinker.
I tried the 1/2 and 1/2 water/gatorade combo yesterday.
It definitely made a difference. Didn't enjoy the extra pack clean up but it was worth it.
BAMX
1/17/2018 9:39pm
I've never been a gatorade drinker. I tried the 1/2 and 1/2 water/gatorade combo yesterday. It definitely made a difference. Didn't enjoy the extra pack clean...
It definitely made a difference. Didn't enjoy the extra pack clean up but it was worth it.
Experiment with different flavors. Some just don't taste good diluted and some taste better.
1/18/2018 5:52am
Used the Orange Gatorade 16oz with 16 oz water...tasted pretty good.

I stay pretty hydrated so I don't usually take my first drink till about 30 minutes in.

The add'l sugar/carbs from the Gatorade had a modest but noticeable effect on my energy level.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
1/20/2018 11:08am
Used the Orange Gatorade 16oz with 16 oz water...tasted pretty good. I stay pretty hydrated so I don't usually take my first drink till about 30...

I stay pretty hydrated so I don't usually take my first drink till about 30 minutes in.

The add'l sugar/carbs from the Gatorade had a modest but noticeable effect on my energy level.
I run CarbSport in my drink system. It contains electrolytes, amino acids, simple and complex carbs, is flavored lightly, and contains no dye. I use it in GNCC events, local harescrambles, and for training (gym and road cycling). I can drink CarbSport when I'm so overheated I can't even drink water. It can be purchased directly from their website or from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.
Titan1
1/23/2018 2:11pm
Used the Orange Gatorade 16oz with 16 oz water...tasted pretty good. I stay pretty hydrated so I don't usually take my first drink till about 30...

I run [url=http://www.carbsport.com]CarbSport[/url] in my drink system. It contains electrolytes, amino acids, simple and complex carbs, is flavored lightly, and contains no dye. I use it...
I run CarbSport in my drink system. It contains electrolytes, amino acids, simple and complex carbs, is flavored lightly, and contains no dye. I use it in GNCC events, local harescrambles, and for training (gym and road cycling). I can drink CarbSport when I'm so overheated I can't even drink water. It can be purchased directly from their website or from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.
That looks great!

What flavor do you prefer? And do you like it with or without caffeine?
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
1/23/2018 7:03pm
Titan1 wrote:
That looks great!

What flavor do you prefer? And do you like it with or without caffeine?
I prefer the lemon lime and the Berry flavors. The orange is the only flavor that is available without caffeine though. The flavors mix well also. I haven't used the caffeine free though.
tobias56
1/28/2018 7:00pm
I've never been a gatorade drinker. I tried the 1/2 and 1/2 water/gatorade combo yesterday. It definitely made a difference. Didn't enjoy the extra pack clean...
Having a good feeling with Gatorade either. I don't drink the whole bottle too!
Tuna
1/29/2018 8:00am
144rider wrote:
I use apple juice and ice cubes in mine (Tastes like shit if it's warm :sick: ). Apples have the highest natural sugar content of all...
I use apple juice and ice cubes in mine (Tastes like shit if it's warm Sick ). Apples have the highest natural sugar content of all the common fruits. Best source of energy you can get IMO.
I'm not into supplements.
Grapes are higher, apples are in the middle of the list. A banana is better than an apple.
Tuna
1/29/2018 8:05am
There are so many better tenchical energy and hydration drinks than Gatorade. You mat as well drink sugar water. Sugar bloats you and makes you want to puke. Drinks like Eload and Skratch work much better. You should be hydrating at least a day ahead. Dates, figs, apricots are great quick and easy energy. You can make your own bars with nuts, dried fruits and honey or agave.
1/29/2018 8:16am
I just looked at Skratch....the number one ingredient is Sugar....maybe sometimes...simple is better...in moderation.

My only 2 beverages are black coffee ( 2 cups a day) and plain water....lots and lots of water....my daily hydration is pretty good.

I cut beer out about 6 weeks ago and trying to eat much better.

For the past few weeks I've also been "time restricted eating/intermittent fasting"......no food from 7pm to 9am....I'm definitely sleeping better.
34moto894
2/6/2018 8:05am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2018 8:05am
I just looked at Skratch....the number one ingredient is Sugar....maybe sometimes...simple is better...in moderation. My only 2 beverages are black coffee ( 2 cups a day)...
I just looked at Skratch....the number one ingredient is Sugar....maybe sometimes...simple is better...in moderation.

My only 2 beverages are black coffee ( 2 cups a day) and plain water....lots and lots of water....my daily hydration is pretty good.

I cut beer out about 6 weeks ago and trying to eat much better.

For the past few weeks I've also been "time restricted eating/intermittent fasting"......no food from 7pm to 9am....I'm definitely sleeping better.
I don't ride much anymore but I started doing triathlons and was a college athlete so I've always been in pretty good shape. I started using Sword for long runs/cycling and it feels way better than Gatorade (with less than half the sugar too!)

They're pretty popular in the endurance field (marathoners/triathletes/ultrarunners etc). I figure if it works for endurance athletes its probably a pretty good fit for motocross and GNCC type stuff. I go with the 20 serving bag Orange flavor, the Apple is pretty good too.

I have a history of hydration problems too so I've always been interested in what fuels my body and how it helps me and this stuff does feel better when I'm pushing through a long workout.

https://drinksword.com/
3/30/2018 6:40pm
racerxx276 wrote:
a lot of the amateur and pro racers at GNCC events use Heed from https://www.hammernutrition.com/ They have it down to a science... I run 2 camelbak...
a lot of the amateur and pro racers at GNCC events use Heed from

https://www.hammernutrition.com/

They have it down to a science... I run 2 camelbak reservoir's , one with water the other with heed...
That sounds like a hell of a plan.

Post a reply to: Mid Race Energy

The Latest