Longest lasting mousse

PTECH
Just bought a set of Nitro Mousse and when I show up to my guys shop with them he says "oh man those things suck!" He swears by Dunlop mousse for his customers that do baja. I guess Michelin is another other option. I'm looking mostly for long lasting, at $100+ each I would like to get two tires worth of life from these if that is an option. Curious to hear peoples opinions.
|
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
11/10/2019 9:04am
I'm running a Dunlop bib in my 450 GNCC bike. It's been through 2 tires, and it's getting pretty soft. I know plenty of people rinning Nitro Mousse that swear by them. It's like tires...one may hate Dunlop, and love Kenda, while another may love Maxxis, but hate Kenda.
mtndoc_842
Fantasy
297th
11/10/2019 4:42pm
I run Michelin’s, they are pricey but I usually can get 10-20 hours of hare scrambles before I swap them to a practice bike. If you re lube them heavily I’ve gotten 30-40 hours easy but they are definitely soft at the end. When they get super soft you can sometimes cut the mousse and then start wedging slices of old mousses in there which gets you a few more hours. my current rear mousse has 30 hours on it, my front mousse 40 hours and both are still going strong.
WFO
11/13/2019 3:46pm
Typically what shortens the life of bibs is heat. To combat that you can lube them up more often. I put tubeless valve stems in my rims and can add silicone lube after a ride/race. I can get a bib to last 3 tires or more. Another thing is to keep your old bibs and use them to add pieces. In other words when a bib starts to wear, cut it and add a piece of an old one. Also an easy way to change your "pressure".
Good Luck
11/19/2019 11:09am
NitroMousse is hands down the best there is. Longevity with this mousee is unmatched from my research. I am on my 4th set of tires and they are still going strong. Just my opinion.

The Shop

brandyn14
12/23/2019 4:20am
Nitro mousse is the best, my friend races open pro in the best in the desert, with a good amount of grease they will last the whole season.
SXS
12/25/2019 2:04pm
Never tried the Nitro mousse, but Michelin work with well with me...
mtndoc_842
Fantasy
297th
12/28/2019 2:21pm
Just swapped my tires. Both Michelin mousses are still going strong, a little worn but still usable. My front mousse has 55hours, rear mousse has 50hours.

Most of those hours are on whooped out desert sand tracks at a slow Pro/fast A off road pace.
PTECH
1/1/2020 5:14pm
Interesting to hear so many who like the nitro mousse. Thanks for everyones feedback.
RCF
1/3/2020 3:34pm
mtndoc_842 wrote:
Just swapped my tires. Both Michelin mousses are still going strong, a little worn but still usable. My front mousse has 55hours, rear mousse has 50hours...
Just swapped my tires. Both Michelin mousses are still going strong, a little worn but still usable. My front mousse has 55hours, rear mousse has 50hours.

Most of those hours are on whooped out desert sand tracks at a slow Pro/fast A off road pace.
Just because they look good doesn't mean nothing, if you are a true A or AA rider there's no way you can get 50 hours out of a moose 15/20 tops.
Tuna
1/4/2020 9:49am
mtndoc_842 wrote:
Just swapped my tires. Both Michelin mousses are still going strong, a little worn but still usable. My front mousse has 55hours, rear mousse has 50hours...

RCF wrote:
Just because they look good doesn't mean nothing, if you are a true A or AA rider there's no way you can get 50 hours out...
Just because they look good doesn't mean nothing, if you are a true A or AA rider there's no way you can get 50 hours out of a moose 15/20 tops.
Sure you can. They just won’t perform like they did new.
mtndoc_842
Fantasy
297th
1/8/2020 10:56am
mtndoc_842 wrote:

RCF wrote:
Just because they look good doesn't mean nothing, if you are a true A or AA rider there's no way you can get 50 hours out...
I’m not saying they are new or that I would race them, they are on my practice bike now. But they both feel about 10psi and I lube the **** out of them with tire lube.

I know how mousses break down, I’ve shredded mousses in less than 10 hours on enduros that have a lot of road transfers.

You can get more life out of them than you think with a tight fitting tire and a lot of lube.
dmcgill
1/16/2020 1:23pm
I've used the Michelins once and NitroMousse exclusively since.

I like the NitroMousse. I had a set of their new Platinum's mounted before Vegas to Reno, used them for 220 miles of that race (DNF) and rode with them a bunch afterward. I raced on the same set at the Parker 250 this past weekend. Never took them out, never relubed them, complete lack of maintenance and they're good to go. The front is getting a little soft so I'm going to swap it out with my new set of tires so I don't risk damaging my wheel but the rear is still solid. They are worth the money.

Post a reply to: Longest lasting mousse

The Latest