Exc 450 suspension advice

MigGames
Hi guys getting back into enduro riding after a very long break from bikes so brought myself a cheap little 09 exc 450 to get myself back into it and the engine and handling are fantastic but the suspension is pretty awful.
On any sort of rough bumps or rutted tracks it just feels like the bike is beating me up and shaking me about, I rode yesterday and only a slightly rough but straight track I couldn't even keep it wound on for very long it was so bad.
I've set the suspension up by the manual and putting it in comfort setting helped abit but still not great, the obvious things are to bet it set up and valved but the cost is pretty high so before i go down that route I want to see what people think.
Worth noting I replaced the fork seals and oil with 5wt so the front end is serviced the rear end isn't but the back end feels OK it's the front I think is the issue but i don't have the ability to communicate how it needs to change.
|
bigbird252
7/11/2022 7:16pm
Do you have the right springs in for your weight?
I have an 06 400 exc and just serviced the suspension with the correct springs front and rear with the bladder conversion for the rear shock.
It went from a handful to hang on to at speed to being able to wick it up a bit and charge through it!
Sideways91
8/30/2022 4:46pm
MigGames wrote:
Hi guys getting back into enduro riding after a very long break from bikes so brought myself a cheap little 09 exc 450 to get myself...
Hi guys getting back into enduro riding after a very long break from bikes so brought myself a cheap little 09 exc 450 to get myself back into it and the engine and handling are fantastic but the suspension is pretty awful.
On any sort of rough bumps or rutted tracks it just feels like the bike is beating me up and shaking me about, I rode yesterday and only a slightly rough but straight track I couldn't even keep it wound on for very long it was so bad.
I've set the suspension up by the manual and putting it in comfort setting helped abit but still not great, the obvious things are to bet it set up and valved but the cost is pretty high so before i go down that route I want to see what people think.
Worth noting I replaced the fork seals and oil with 5wt so the front end is serviced the rear end isn't but the back end feels OK it's the front I think is the issue but i don't have the ability to communicate how it needs to change.
PDS shock can make the forks feel like shit. These were still pretty stink buggy and a progressive spring in the rear helps a lot.
First thing to do is make sure you have the correct springs as stated earlier.
Those are the old open cartridge forks, and the best trick I found with them, other than valving, is to drill bleed holes in the cartridges. I'm sure there's something on KTMtalk about drilling them.

Post a reply to: Exc 450 suspension advice

The Latest