Convert the Motocrosser or buy a new XC bike?

Austin269
Ok, guys hear me out. I currently own a 2018 RMZ 450 and have decided to make the switch to racing harescrambles full time. I know the RMZ is primarily a track bike and it is a handful in the woods. The gearing is not awesome for the woods and the power is a bit much for the east coast trails I ride. I love the bike on the track but in the woods It whoops my ass. I also have the Rekluse Radius on the bike which helps a lot.

My question for you is, should I stick with my RMZ and just modify it to become a trail weapon or should I sell it and make the switch to an XC, FZ, RX, etc?

Any info would be helpful.
|
Titan1
6/19/2019 11:37am
I race hare scrambles and hare and hounds on a KX450...the rekluse CORE EXP 3.0 is a must for the slower sections.

It works great for me in 99% of trail situations. But I'm racing desert hare scrambles and hare and hounds...not sure how much different those trail conditions are than what you'll race in the east coast woods.

I've ridden a YZ450FX and it was still a handful in the tighter sections...450's (XC or Moto) are just a lot in tighter sections.
Timo_2824
6/19/2019 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2019 4:39pm
I used to ride moto bikes off-road, then I bought a WR and used it for everything. Now I'm on a 450FX and it's the best bike I've ever had. Suspension will do ok on jumps and also works on single track rocks and roots. The map switch definitely helps with turning down the bark, but overall it's so smooth down low I've just started keeping it on the standard map 1 setting.
Highflier
6/26/2019 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2019 7:31pm
I made the switch from track only to woods and harescramble racing on a ‘03 CRF450.
I had the same dilemma but decided to mod my moto bike because it was basically new and I couldn’t swing the cost to change bikes at the time.
You have the Rekluse which is a huge bonus.
It isn’t expensive to change rear sprocket to add a tooth or two. Put on some hand guards and you can race.
Long term I moved to XC’s but I modded other 450 moto bikes along the way, did big bore 250’s, etc.
For me, the 350XCF is perfect, light weight and plenty of power in the woods.

Throw a couple parts on the RMZ and after a season you’ll have a better feel for what you want most in a woods ride.
BikePilot
8/2/2019 8:31am
Make a switch. A MX bike is fine for east coast HS racing, but a 450 is a real handful and will wear you out. Snag a 250, ideally an XC or TX, but even a 250 MX bike lightly modded works nicely. Out west 450s can work well for HS/Hare and Hound, but on the east coast they are just too much imo.

The Shop

austin_bo
Fantasy
228th
6/30/2020 9:11am
Ditch the RMZ. I mainly ride tracks, but I occasionally humor my older brother ride tight piney single track with him. I had an RMZ 250 and even that would beat me up in the woods. The gearing was off, the clutch was weak, chassis was rigid, and it would dump coolant 20 minutes into a ride. I have an SX-F now, and even though it’s still a track focused bike, it’s a world of difference. KTMs are super easy to adjust suspension between the two riding disciplines as well.

Post a reply to: Convert the Motocrosser or buy a new XC bike?

The Latest