Baja trip on mid sized ADV bikes

nytsmaC
A buddy and I are planning to do a Baja trip this fall, probably late Sept - Oct, 3 weeks. We’ll drive down from Canada and unload near the border to give us more time to ride SOTB. We figure 2 days drive each way and 19 days to ride in between. It’ll be a first for both of us. Can anyone suggest some itinerary ideas? Stops of interest that we don’t want to miss? Suggested places to stay overnight?

We’ll be on a T700 and KLR650. Not looking to push our limits off-road, this trip is all about seeing as much as we can and limiting incidents that will ruin the trip, as it’s been a long time in the making. That being said we’re both ex motocrossers and quite capable off-road, but we want to minimize risk on this trip. Some light off-road would be great just not trying to get crazy.

I’ve second guessed if it’s not too much time for the peninsula, and if we shouldn’t take the ferry across and ride back north up the Copper Canyon, but that may be trying to squeeze too much into 19 days. I’d rather have extra time to chill when we find little pieces of paradise.

Part of this trip is to scout out potential places to reside for the winters. I’m working on my espanol but right now I’m definitely not fluent.
|
GTM
3/30/2022 5:17am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2022 5:19am
Hey Nytsmac...
I did the Baja, leaving from Cabo San Lucas on a KTM 890 with a couple of other guys riding the bikes back to Phoenix, days after the Baja 1000 was finished last year. I would suggest, give yourself time, which it sounds like you are, and take spares, (tubes, tire plug kits, zip ties, tools, good first aid kit etc.) you are literally in the middle of know where out there. Gas is not a huge concern, rule of thumb, never pass a station. Carry cash and your passport on your body at all times and take pictures of your license and passport so its on your phone, and pay for gas and food with US cash (found that the easiest). Highway #1 is narrow and totally sketchy, try to avoid if possible. Hotels are very reasonable and you can sometime neg. price with them. Hit up as many Missions as you can, Misión San Francisco Javier, San Ignacio just to name a few. Make sure you boys have good GPS's, allot of times when we were on the Baja 1000 course in the middle of know where we had zero reception for a good part of the day. You'll run into alot of Military/Police check points, they are cool, pull over when requested, flip your visor up and look them in the eye when talking, all good. We also ran into what we think was a cartel check point in the middle of no where, we gave them stickers we brought (for the kids) and some t-shirts, they were stoked and they let us roll through, I was nervous, not going to lie..
Dont drink the water either, buy bottles... Reach out to me if you want and i can share a more info and some amazing roads and points of interest you'll want to check out... Stay safe... Chris.
TalinH112
4/20/2022 4:15am
I can vouch for pretty much all of what GTM said, I spent a lot of time in Baja growing up. I have ridden a lot of the peninsula and have found that as long as you keep to you self and are not being blatantly disrespectful you will not have a problem. The people are some of the most hospitable you will find, cash is key to getting things you need and possibly out of trouble in a pinch. I cannot emphasize enough DO NOT DRINK THE WATER. You will have the worst time ever if you do! Other than that it is one of the most awesome places to go riding, it has everything you could ever ask for, stickers are huge for the kids down there and will make their day. They are very friendly to Moto guys down there, it’s a big part of their economy and lives. Most of all have fun and be safe!
willbilly
5/15/2022 5:18pm
I haven’t been to Baja since’92 but a stop at Mike’s Sky Ranch is a must. Lots of off road history there.
GTM
5/16/2022 5:06am
willbilly wrote:
I haven’t been to Baja since’92 but a stop at Mike’s Sky Ranch is a must. Lots of off road history there.
For sure... lots of history,.. coming out of Mike's on the south side it's super techy-rocky riding, since the 1000 race has been through there half dozen times. Once you make it to the pavement out of Mikes, grab a left and hit the National Astronomical Observatory and Condor Refuge... The paved road out from the Observatory back to Highway #1 is one of the best roads, I've ever rode... Sterling Noren, just posted up a video "Baja Adv", that takes you to the Observatory... Good watch.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Baja trip on mid sized ADV bikes

The Latest