Alpinestars Tech 7, think I stick with Gearne

wwdiii
I'm an older guy and just getting back after many years away. High Points from years back is all I know for the most part. Anyway, few months back bought Gearne GX-1s which I like. Knowing what little I know now I would have bought SG10 or 12 because of hinged ankle.

So I decided to buy another pair of boots and leave my Gearnes at my lake house and ride when I'm there. So as a second pair, I bought a pair of Tech 7's. They fit really good but never seem to want to loosen up. I wore them around the house, on the carpet more times than I could remember. I bent flexed and worked by hand. They never loosed up to the point I could even come close shifting and I shift with foot off the peg, I grew up racing CZ's. Don't have any problems shifting with my Gearnes.

When I looked at the Tech 7's more cosely, they would not move one bit at the pivot, might as well not be hinged. I thought about working outside in them, let um get wet etc. After a while they may loosen up, but the lack of movement at the pivot concerns me. Since they still have the tags, may be better off to send them back and buy another pair of Gearne or Sidi.

I was really disapointed, they fit good.

Anybody else have this problem with Tech 7's.

Thanks Billy
|
YZ-MTB
6/14/2020 11:59pm
I've only tried on the Tech 7s in the shop. Was comparing them against the SG10s. The 7s were a lot more comfortable just walking around, but anytime I tried flexing the ankle my heel would pull up and out if the heel cup and wasn't held securely at all. Not sure if that was because of lack of flex in the ankle or not, but no way I would ever ride in a boot where my heel pulled up and out like that. Maybe they just don't fit me, but I ended up going with the SG10s even though they were less comfortable. The SG10s felt stiffer and kept my heel securely in place.
Monk
6/23/2020 9:07am
I moved off of Gearne S12s into T7s. Been on Gaerne's for 6+yrs and now on T7s, I'll never go back... The T7s are a lighter smaller boot and offer better feel. I even have two pairs of T5s that I find are just as impressive but $100+ cheaper. I needed a 2nd set of boots and the T7s were sold out...

Post a reply to: Alpinestars Tech 7, think I stick with Gearne

The Latest