Advice needed, cleaning engine cases

Edited Date/Time 8/31/2018 4:43am
Hi guys, hopefully you can help me out.
I’m relatively new to MX - out of practice for about 10 years and slowly getting back into the swing of things.

When cleaning my bike I’m really struggling to remove these build ups of gunk, I’ve tried using Muc-Off sprayed neat and scrubbing with a hard brush, silver Brillo pad, Muc Off Degreaser, Gunk Foam Degreaser but to no avail.. the bike is only a year old and it’s begining to taunt me! Thanks in advance Smile

|
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
8/29/2018 5:52pm
ReggieMoto wrote:
Would a wire brush to better to use than the Brillo?
A hand wire brush would be better than brillo. A powered wire brush will smear the aluminum.
RCF
8/29/2018 6:13pm
follow the instructions spraying on wait 15 minutes then hose off ,works better than regular degreasers like Simple Green.

8/30/2018 4:44am
RCF wrote:
follow the instructions spraying on wait 15 minutes then hose off ,works better than regular degreasers like Simple Green. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/29/284026/s1200_Screenshot_2018_08_29_21_10_01.jpg[/img]
follow the instructions spraying on wait 15 minutes then hose off ,works better than regular degreasers like Simple Green.

Will this be powerful enough to remove heavy stains like this? Another forum has suggested using ALuma-Brite or a couple other heavy duty alu cleaners.
I’ve not attempted to remove the marks on the engine case just yet, but the swing arm stains wouldn’t budge!

The Shop

RCF
8/30/2018 5:46am
Acid base strippers will definitely make the aluminum look like new but the only problem is dirt will stick even easier and make more stains, they also make the aluminum have a white milky look which I don't think looks good. The lp cleaner is strong enough to strip chain lube off a chain so it should work for you and it has no ill effects on the aluminum. When using it it's important to keep the area wet with the cleaner and leave it on for at least 15 minutes before hosing It Off. I haven't used it in a few years I'm not sure if they have changed the formula but it used to work great , the only problem is I would go through a whole bottle cleaning a bike and it would get kind of expensive.

Post a reply to: Advice needed, cleaning engine cases

The Latest