ADV Style Helmets……

APLMAN99
Edited Date/Time 4/18/2022 11:50am
Haven’t ever rode with any of the ADV style helmets with visor and flip up shield. But after a couple of trips home from work with what felt like ice chunks hitting my face between my goggles and chin bar I am seriously considering one.

For anyone that uses them, how do they do off road? Do you end up with a lot of dust coming in from underneath?

I need a very big helmet so the one I’m looking at the most is the Bell MX-9 Adventure MIPS DLX in 3XL.

Just wondering if it’s also viable off road too, or pretty much a street only type of thing?

|
nytsmaC
11/12/2021 8:19pm
I have a Shoei Hornet X2 for street and adv rides, I like it. I typically keep the visor cracked open at lower speeds and off-road, i just keep my distance to minimize dust.
APLMAN99
11/15/2021 3:44pm
nytsmaC wrote:
I have a Shoei Hornet X2 for street and adv [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/11/12/518114/s1200_6EA6C5DE_EE21_414B_8F4B_2B860FB6EA1C.jpg[/img]rides, I like it. I typically keep the visor cracked open at lower speeds and off-road...
I have a Shoei Hornet X2 for street and adv rides, I like it. I typically keep the visor cracked open at lower speeds and off-road, i just keep my distance to minimize dust.
Thanks!

I don't think that I can wear one of those, they only go up to 2XL. If it fits like Shoeis that I have tried in the past then it would be pretty tight for me.

I saw on Shoei's website that they came with a chin curtain and breath guard, though. Those seem like they would help keep the dust out a bit.

I think that I'll just grab a Bell and give it a go. At worst I can just use it around town and still use my dirt helmet and goggles for anything else, I suppose. If it works in dustier conditions, then that would be a bonus I guess.
Crash217
11/16/2021 11:53am
I have an arai dual sport helmet.

Dust comes in a lot from the bottom and sticks to the interior of the face shield.

Its poorly vented, which isn't much a concern at high speeds on the road, but its very hot in the woods.

Mine isn't compatible with goggles. A few out there are. I suggest looking for that feature specifically for when goggles are needed.

Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
11/19/2021 5:44am
I tried to ride one (the AGV from when I worked for them) but doesnt work for me, especially off-road, too poorly vented, so I stuck with my road Shoei when in town or highway and my MX helmet when I'm going to dirt.
I did get caught on the road during a heavy rain shower riding back home the other day and I know what you mean, was painful being stung by cold hard rain, I had to slow down.

The Shop

gt80rider
11/25/2021 11:28am
I run the arai.... not a big fan... noisey..... no mips....
bkoz
11/26/2021 5:59pm
I have nothing but poor luck with ADV helmets. Now I use my MX helmet with ear plugs for close to home/lots of single track and my street helmet for everything else.

Too many compromises with an ADV helmet IMO. Noise/dust/comfort/aerodynamics etc.

They do look good though.
nytsmaC
11/28/2021 7:59pm
nytsmaC wrote:
I have a Shoei Hornet X2 for street and adv [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/11/12/518114/s1200_6EA6C5DE_EE21_414B_8F4B_2B860FB6EA1C.jpg[/img]rides, I like it. I typically keep the visor cracked open at lower speeds and off-road...
APLMAN99 wrote:
Thanks! I don't think that I can wear one of those, they only go up to 2XL. If it fits like Shoeis that I have tried...
Thanks!

I don't think that I can wear one of those, they only go up to 2XL. If it fits like Shoeis that I have tried in the past then it would be pretty tight for me.

I saw on Shoei's website that they came with a chin curtain and breath guard, though. Those seem like they would help keep the dust out a bit.

I think that I'll just grab a Bell and give it a go. At worst I can just use it around town and still use my dirt helmet and goggles for anything else, I suppose. If it works in dustier conditions, then that would be a bonus I guess.
It does fit the same as a Shoei Mx helmet, so yeah it wouldn’t work for you. Did you end up getting a Bell?
APLMAN99
11/29/2021 10:32am
nytsmaC wrote:
It does fit the same as a Shoei Mx helmet, so yeah it wouldn’t work for you. Did you end up getting a Bell?
Haven't gotten anything yet, been a crazy past couple of weeks to have anything more than just a few minutes here and there. I may go over to the Seattle area next weekend and look to see if anyone has anything similar in stock to try on. I'd pay a few extra dollars to buy a helmet at a dealer if that means I get to try it on first for fitment. Haven't been into any bike shops over there for over a year so I am not sure how many helmets the bigger ones are even likely to have in stock right now.

It looks like the Bell comes with a chin cover that may keep some of the dust from coming up from underneath, and being the tub of goo that I am there isn't going to be much that gets past my cheeks!!!!!

The weather here has been fairly cold in the mornings so I haven't been riding to work, ice patches and knobbies on pavement don't sound like my idea of a good time. But right now it is warm and sunny, so I am getting tempted to wear my full face street helmet if it stays this way for a few days.

GTM
12/2/2021 6:54am
Ive been running the NEXX adventure helmets with good success the last 4 years. Fit to size spec'd out. What i really like is the flip down internal tinted visor. I run that only 90% of the time....
motorick5052
12/7/2021 12:37pm

Sorry I’m a little late to the party, I just saw this thread and thought I’d add my $.02

I also have an oversized coconut and need a 5 gallon bucket sized helmet too… I’ve tried several of the ADV helmets and I’ve been as happy with this as any other I’ve worn!
The 2XL was snug on my phat head when I got it but after wearing it a while it has broken in and fits well enough that I can wear it for longer rides with no issue.

I do like that on longer multi-day trips with a lot of highway time, I can take the visor off and wear it very much like a street helmet, then on arrival at the trailhead, I can remove the clear shield, reinstall the visor and wear it with goggles for off road riding!
Goggles don’t fit quite as well as with a full moto helmet due to the bottom of the flip-down tinted glare visor extending slightly below the headliner and I had to find a smaller frame goggle that fit into the eye port better than 100% goggles, but its been the best setup/compromise that I’ve found!
While crossed the New Mexico desert on a BDR route last summer north of Grants NM, I found that too much dust came in under the chinbar and coated the inside of the clear shield and into my eyes for my preference!

I do prefer to just wear my moto helmet and goggles for short trips near home or quick dual sport ride to the off road loop but for the multi-day ADV rides on the Africa Twin, this Scorpion has worked out well for me!

Good luck with your helmet search!
The wrong helmet can quickly turn into a torture device and thats NO fun when your hours from home!
APLMAN99
4/4/2022 12:09pm
Well, the Bell MX-9 Adventure MIPS was the only one that I could find that really fit well. Had second thoughts over the winter about getting an ADV style, but started riding to work again about 2 weeks ago and one of the days was spitting a little rain. Suddenly remembered why I was wanting to get one in the first place! Like being poked with little ice picks right under the goggle line.......

Should arrive today, which means that we will go 2 months without rain but it should still be warmer than just a moto helmet and goggles!
Bearuno
4/18/2022 11:50am
Crash217 wrote:
I have an arai dual sport helmet. Dust comes in a lot from the bottom and sticks to the interior of the face shield. Its poorly...
I have an arai dual sport helmet.

Dust comes in a lot from the bottom and sticks to the interior of the face shield.

Its poorly vented, which isn't much a concern at high speeds on the road, but its very hot in the woods.

Mine isn't compatible with goggles. A few out there are. I suggest looking for that feature specifically for when goggles are needed.

Noraly / Itchy Boots ( look her up on YouTube) uses an Arai, and uses goggles quite often (not sure of the brand), but, with the QuickStrap set up. And still with the visor / face shield being there to use.

That may give you the option of goggle use, when you need it.

Post a reply to: ADV Style Helmets……

The Latest