450FX, 450RX, or KX450

Titan1
All right...I'm way torn on this...I'll be picking up a new bike in the next three weeks or so...I'm looking at roll over 2019's...and I'm down to a YZ450FX, CR450RX, or the KX450. Which would you buy?

I'm a Vet A/Expert rider...I'm not winning my class, but I'm usually in the top quarter to third in my local series...mid pack at the national events with the out of state guys. I'm racing-for the most-my local desert series which covers virtually all off road racing disciplines (hare and hounds, hare scrambles, GPs, and a could sprint enduros). So we are talking fast hare and hounds, to moto tracks, to technical enduro special tests.

I'm currently on a 2015 KX450...it works great for me...but I spent a ton of money on the suspension (air forks...I should have done a spring conversion to start and probably would have saved me some money) and added a ReKluse Core EXP 3.0 to really make it work for the technical riding that I do.

I'm seeing pros and cons to each bike...but can't make up my mind:

Yamaha: Offroad bike (18 inch rear wheel, kick stand, wide ratio tranny, etc.) Best suspension (I'd ride it stock and wouldn't have to touch it). But the fuel tank set up limits fuel capacity (without getting crazy and turning the radiator shrouds into fuel tanks...and I'm not interested in that).

Honda: Off road bike. I do love Honda's. Duel pipes is a major bummer. I'd have to have some work done on the suspension as its a fairly stiff.

Kawasaki: Cheapest around (I'm seeing left over 2019's for under $7K)...but its a moto bike...I'd probably need a ReKluse (adds a grand), lost of suspension work (more money), 19 inch rear wheel. But I love the "planted" feeling of the 19's (I love a planted feeling bike). It's on here because everyone that has them REALLY likes them.

Any thoughts on this? Feed back on any of these bikes from an offroad perspective?
|
Gibbs_293
8/14/2019 12:30pm
I was in the same spot as you. I went with a KX for a few reasons. The new "Offroad" 450s were not as aggressive feeling. I was going to do the same mods for what ever bike I got so I went with the KX because it felt the best.

Honda- Liked everything about the bike except for the dual pipes and it felt sluggish compared to the KX.

Yamaha- Didn't like ergos of the bike. Just felt uncomfortable on it.

I think it comes down to how comfortable you feel on the bike. Did you get a chance to ride the RX and FX? I spent the better part of a year finding demo days to ride each bike before I bought one.
Titan1
8/14/2019 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2019 2:14pm
Gibbs_293 wrote:
I was in the same spot as you. I went with a KX for a few reasons. The new "Offroad" 450s were not as aggressive feeling...
I was in the same spot as you. I went with a KX for a few reasons. The new "Offroad" 450s were not as aggressive feeling. I was going to do the same mods for what ever bike I got so I went with the KX because it felt the best.

Honda- Liked everything about the bike except for the dual pipes and it felt sluggish compared to the KX.

Yamaha- Didn't like ergos of the bike. Just felt uncomfortable on it.

I think it comes down to how comfortable you feel on the bike. Did you get a chance to ride the RX and FX? I spent the better part of a year finding demo days to ride each bike before I bought one.
I've only ridden an 18 FX (I know the 19 is different) and RX (which I think is basically the same as the 19? Not positive)..the backwards motor feels a little off to me, I'm sure I could get used to it. But I just love that suspension. And my favorite bike ever was my 09 YZ450. So I get a little nostalgic talking about them. I hated my last Honda for offroad (06 250f)...so I'm a little scared of them that way (totally unfounded fear, I know...but I'm a mental infant when it comes to this stuff)...but I hear you on the sluggish thing...and I wasnt impressed with the suspension (it almost felt like a moto set up), it could have been the bike I was riding...and it just didn't feel as "planted" as the FX (or my current KX).

What type of riding/racing do you do, and what class?

What mods did you make to the KX? (It's honestly the front runner at this point)

I really appreciate your feedback and input.
Gibbs_293
8/14/2019 3:16pm
Titan1 wrote:
I've only ridden an 18 FX (I know the 19 is different) and RX (which I think is basically the same as the 19? Not positive)..the...
I've only ridden an 18 FX (I know the 19 is different) and RX (which I think is basically the same as the 19? Not positive)..the backwards motor feels a little off to me, I'm sure I could get used to it. But I just love that suspension. And my favorite bike ever was my 09 YZ450. So I get a little nostalgic talking about them. I hated my last Honda for offroad (06 250f)...so I'm a little scared of them that way (totally unfounded fear, I know...but I'm a mental infant when it comes to this stuff)...but I hear you on the sluggish thing...and I wasnt impressed with the suspension (it almost felt like a moto set up), it could have been the bike I was riding...and it just didn't feel as "planted" as the FX (or my current KX).

What mods did you make to the KX? (It's honestly the front runner at this point)

I race HS/GP/sprints in open B class. I am a pretty aggressive rider but I don't have the stamina to keep up with the A guys. If I trained maybe but I just have fun with it on the weekends. Those old Honda 4T were horrible for this application. God forbid if you stalled one in the middle of a race or a longer ride. The older Kawis were the same.

On my KX I have oversized tank, tuned suspension(Father has a shop), rad braces, full skid plate, FMF silencer, Rekluse Radius Cx clutch.

I want to do an 18 inch wheel and flywheel weight as well but I am rebuilding a 05 kx250 from the frame up so all of my money is currently going to that.
Timo_2824
8/14/2019 4:45pm
If you go with the fx buy a 2 link longer chain and run the wheel farther back than stock. It makes it super stable and doesn't seem to have any effect on the turning. I've had mine since October and it's the best bike I've had so far!

The Shop

Titan1
8/14/2019 7:25pm
Titan1 wrote:
I've only ridden an 18 FX (I know the 19 is different) and RX (which I think is basically the same as the 19? Not positive)..the...

Gibbs_293 wrote:
I race HS/GP/sprints in open B class. I am a pretty aggressive rider but I don't have the stamina to keep up with the A guys...
I race HS/GP/sprints in open B class. I am a pretty aggressive rider but I don't have the stamina to keep up with the A guys. If I trained maybe but I just have fun with it on the weekends. Those old Honda 4T were horrible for this application. God forbid if you stalled one in the middle of a race or a longer ride. The older Kawis were the same.

On my KX I have oversized tank, tuned suspension(Father has a shop), rad braces, full skid plate, FMF silencer, Rekluse Radius Cx clutch.

I want to do an 18 inch wheel and flywheel weight as well but I am rebuilding a 05 kx250 from the frame up so all of my money is currently going to that.
Right on! Thanks for that feedback.

Is that rekluse and auto clutch? Or is it one of their manual clutches? (Curious about how it handles the slower technical stuff without a rekluse). Interestingly enough the KTM 450 SX and XC share the same engine and transmission. So a moto set up may not be all that bad.
Titan1
8/14/2019 7:26pm
Timo_2824 wrote:
If you go with the fx buy a 2 link longer chain and run the wheel farther back than stock. It makes it super stable and...
If you go with the fx buy a 2 link longer chain and run the wheel farther back than stock. It makes it super stable and doesn't seem to have any effect on the turning. I've had mine since October and it's the best bike I've had so far!
That’s some good feedback! Thanks for that.

Calling around today...I’ve got quotes as low as $7900 out the door for the KX and as low as $9500 for the FX. Is the $1500 savings worth it?
Gibbs_293
8/14/2019 7:34pm
Titan1 wrote:
Right on! Thanks for that feedback. Is that rekluse and auto clutch? Or is it one of their manual clutches? (Curious about how it handles the...

Is that rekluse and auto clutch? Or is it one of their manual clutches? (Curious about how it handles the slower technical stuff without a rekluse). Interestingly enough the KTM 450 SX and XC share the same engine and transmission. So a moto set up may not be all that bad.
It’s the auto clutch. It still feels like a normal cutch but I was having flame out issues with The manual trans. Since it’s a moto bike it will flame out on the technical stuff. If you are racing everything with the 450 then you need it but if you are just doing hare scrambles with fast trails and grass track then it’s not needed. If you are looking for a do it all bike the 450s aren’t the way to go. That’s why I’m building the 250 2t. After riding a 450 for so long a 250 2t feels like a mountain bike.
Timo_2824
8/14/2019 7:43pm
Titan1 wrote:
That’s some good feedback! Thanks for that. Calling around today...I’ve got quotes as low as $7900 out the door for the KX and as low as...
That’s some good feedback! Thanks for that.

Calling around today...I’ve got quotes as low as $7900 out the door for the KX and as low as $9500 for the FX. Is the $1500 savings worth it?
I like the WR transmission in the FX, I can go slow or fast without changing the gearing. I've ridden everything from mx, single track, desert, and dunes with only rebound adjustments. The tuning tool is also pretty handy when you're wanting a one bike does everything.
Titan1
8/14/2019 7:48pm
Titan1 wrote:
Right on! Thanks for that feedback. Is that rekluse and auto clutch? Or is it one of their manual clutches? (Curious about how it handles the...

Gibbs_293 wrote:
It’s the auto clutch. It still feels like a normal cutch but I was having flame out issues with The manual trans. Since it’s a moto...
It’s the auto clutch. It still feels like a normal cutch but I was having flame out issues with The manual trans. Since it’s a moto bike it will flame out on the technical stuff. If you are racing everything with the 450 then you need it but if you are just doing hare scrambles with fast trails and grass track then it’s not needed. If you are looking for a do it all bike the 450s aren’t the way to go. That’s why I’m building the 250 2t. After riding a 450 for so long a 250 2t feels like a mountain bike.
The 450 becomes a do it all bike with a rekluse auto clutch (I’ve got the Core EXP 3.0 in my current KX450) and it was a game changer.

So it looks like I need to add a grand to the price of the KX...and I wouldn’t on the FX with the wide ratio transmission. That levels the playing field a bit.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
8/25/2019 8:39am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2019 8:41am
Titan1 wrote:
The 450 becomes a do it all bike with a rekluse auto clutch (I’ve got the Core EXP 3.0 in my current KX450) and it was...
The 450 becomes a do it all bike with a rekluse auto clutch (I’ve got the Core EXP 3.0 in my current KX450) and it was a game changer.

So it looks like I need to add a grand to the price of the KX...and I wouldn’t on the FX with the wide ratio transmission. That levels the playing field a bit.
I race a 2018 CRF450RX in local harescrambles, GNCC in 40+B, moto, indoors over the winter, and just did my first hard enduro at the Tennessee Knockout. Properly set up, that bike will do it all. As for power...remember that bike is a closed course competition model...it's not a trailbike. As far as power for really fast stuff...no worries. It's a rocketship. When I first got the bike I found the suspension to be too soft for me (I'm 220lbs). Got it revalved and resprung, had Eric Siraton from Phoenix Honda (formerly of Johnny Campbell Racing) remap the ECU to make it more manageable on the lower end and help with flame outs. Went up 3 teeth on the rear sprocket, got a 3 gallon IMS tank on it. For the Tennessee Knockout, I went 1 tooth smaller on the front sprocket, added a Steahly 7oz flywheel weight and softened up the suspension. I run the stuck clutch with the judder spring removed and an extra plate in it. I won't run a Rekluse since the bike is E start only. no push starting with one if you roach the battery in the middle of nowhere.
Gibbs_293
8/25/2019 9:07am
I race a 2018 CRF450RX in local harescrambles, GNCC in 40+B, moto, indoors over the winter, and just did my first hard enduro at the Tennessee...
I race a 2018 CRF450RX in local harescrambles, GNCC in 40+B, moto, indoors over the winter, and just did my first hard enduro at the Tennessee Knockout. Properly set up, that bike will do it all. As for power...remember that bike is a closed course competition model...it's not a trailbike. As far as power for really fast stuff...no worries. It's a rocketship. When I first got the bike I found the suspension to be too soft for me (I'm 220lbs). Got it revalved and resprung, had Eric Siraton from Phoenix Honda (formerly of Johnny Campbell Racing) remap the ECU to make it more manageable on the lower end and help with flame outs. Went up 3 teeth on the rear sprocket, got a 3 gallon IMS tank on it. For the Tennessee Knockout, I went 1 tooth smaller on the front sprocket, added a Steahly 7oz flywheel weight and softened up the suspension. I run the stuck clutch with the judder spring removed and an extra plate in it. I won't run a Rekluse since the bike is E start only. no push starting with one if you roach the battery in the middle of nowhere.
I used to think the same thing until I rode my friends brand new yz250x. IMO he 250 2t are just better in the tech stuff and doesn't tire me out like the big 450. I would rather spend money on the kx250 and dial it in perfectly than spend money on the 450 to make it just ok in the tech stuff.

You are right though, the thing is a freaking rocket ship in the open stuff. So smooth as well. Great for GP and hare scrambles. What kid of terrain do you ride. Here in Maryland and PA some courses can be really tight and technical rocks and roots. I feel like I'm wrestling a pig on the 450. I am just getting into hard enduros. They are a different animal.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
8/25/2019 9:12am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2019 9:15am
Gibbs_293 wrote:
I used to think the same thing until I rode my friends brand new yz250x. IMO he 250 2t are just better in the tech stuff...
I used to think the same thing until I rode my friends brand new yz250x. IMO he 250 2t are just better in the tech stuff and doesn't tire me out like the big 450. I would rather spend money on the kx250 and dial it in perfectly than spend money on the 450 to make it just ok in the tech stuff.

You are right though, the thing is a freaking rocket ship in the open stuff. So smooth as well. Great for GP and hare scrambles. What kid of terrain do you ride. Here in Maryland and PA some courses can be really tight and technical rocks and roots. I feel like I'm wrestling a pig on the 450. I am just getting into hard enduros. They are a different animal.
I ride everything from super tight single track to wide open grass track, gnarly rocks and everything in between. The bike doesn't tire me out too badly over a 3 hour GNCC...but I'm also in excellent shape. Gym 3x a week and all.
I enjoy two strokes, but decided to make a change. I have to say the Honda 450RX takes all the abuse I can dish out and comes back for more. It's been reliable as a hammer
8/25/2019 1:49pm
Titan1 wrote:
All right...I'm way torn on this...I'll be picking up a new bike in the next three weeks or so...I'm looking at roll over 2019's...and I'm down...
All right...I'm way torn on this...I'll be picking up a new bike in the next three weeks or so...I'm looking at roll over 2019's...and I'm down to a YZ450FX, CR450RX, or the KX450. Which would you buy?

I'm a Vet A/Expert rider...I'm not winning my class, but I'm usually in the top quarter to third in my local series...mid pack at the national events with the out of state guys. I'm racing-for the most-my local desert series which covers virtually all off road racing disciplines (hare and hounds, hare scrambles, GPs, and a could sprint enduros). So we are talking fast hare and hounds, to moto tracks, to technical enduro special tests.

I'm currently on a 2015 KX450...it works great for me...but I spent a ton of money on the suspension (air forks...I should have done a spring conversion to start and probably would have saved me some money) and added a ReKluse Core EXP 3.0 to really make it work for the technical riding that I do.

Yamaha: Offroad bike (18 inch rear wheel, kick stand, wide ratio tranny, etc.) Best suspension (I'd ride it stock and wouldn't have to touch it). But the fuel tank set up limits fuel capacity (without getting crazy and turning the radiator shrouds into fuel tanks...and I'm not interested in that).

Honda: Off road bike. I do love Honda's. Duel pipes is a major bummer. I'd have to have some work done on the suspension as its a fairly stiff.

Kawasaki: Cheapest around (I'm seeing left over 2019's for under $7K)...but its a moto bike...I'd probably need a ReKluse (adds a grand), lost of suspension work (more money), 19 inch rear wheel. But I love the "planted" feeling of the 19's (I love a planted feeling bike). It's on here because everyone that has them REALLY likes them.

Any thoughts on this? Feed back on any of these bikes from an offroad perspective?
Did you end up with a spring conversion who did it if so
ccullins
8/26/2019 11:33am
My son helped Dirt Rider with the off-road 450 shootout. He’s the one riding in the video (not the one talking)

As an Endurocross pro, he’s a fast Expert/slow pro in the fast less technical terrain GP’s. He preferred the Honda for its motor and overall chassis feel. It didn’t win the shootout though. The other guys weren’t quite as fast and a little smaller.

https://youtu.be/9Rt_lhpzZ-E &app=desktop
Titan1
8/26/2019 12:05pm
ccullins wrote:
My son helped Dirt Rider with the off-road 450 shootout. He’s the one riding in the video (not the one talking) As an Endurocross pro, he’s...
My son helped Dirt Rider with the off-road 450 shootout. He’s the one riding in the video (not the one talking)

As an Endurocross pro, he’s a fast Expert/slow pro in the fast less technical terrain GP’s. He preferred the Honda for its motor and overall chassis feel. It didn’t win the shootout though. The other guys weren’t quite as fast and a little smaller.

I"ve heard that the faster you go on the Honda the better it works. So I'm sure thats why the slower guys didn't like it as much. My novice level younger brother bought an 18 RX and didn't like it all...my pro level brother, loved it!
Titan1
8/26/2019 12:06pm
Titan1 wrote:
All right...I'm way torn on this...I'll be picking up a new bike in the next three weeks or so...I'm looking at roll over 2019's...and I'm down...

Did you end up with a spring conversion who did it if so
No. I just kept them as air forks. If I'd of just done the spring conversion before I started messing with the air forks, I'd of probably saved a good chunk of change.
MelonFan123
8/27/2019 8:49am
Titan - what did you end up getting?

First time I've checked out the offroad sub-forum, good to see some activity here!
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
8/27/2019 9:41am
ccullins wrote:
My son helped Dirt Rider with the off-road 450 shootout. He’s the one riding in the video (not the one talking) As an Endurocross pro, he’s...

Titan1 wrote:
I"ve heard that the faster you go on the Honda the better it works. So I'm sure thats why the slower guys didn't like it as...
I"ve heard that the faster you go on the Honda the better it works. So I'm sure thats why the slower guys didn't like it as much. My novice level younger brother bought an 18 RX and didn't like it all...my pro level brother, loved it!
Everything they said in the video was said about the 2018 model too. It's all correct. She's big, she's heavy and she's got gobs of power. Proper chassis setup and body positioning are pretty critical for sure. I know on my '18 I can't run less than 105mm sag on the rear. If I do the bike is unrideable ruts. They claim the stock suspenson is stiff...I say it'd be stiff if you were riding trials. If you're over 170lbs or so and a B offroad rider or above it'll be too soft unless you're doing enduro and single track
Titan1
8/29/2019 1:01pm
So I spent way to much time researching these three bikes...talking with dealers (mostly about price)...reading shootouts, and magazine reviews...looking at forums...etc. etc. way to much time.

I ended up picking up a 2019 YZ450FX today...I spent a grand more than I would have on an RX and about $1500 more than I would have on the KX...

But I went with the FX because of the shootouts and magazine reviews...not because of where it finished in the shootouts-though it did well in all of them-but because, without fail, everyone raved about the suspension (if suspension is the most important part of a bike, why not buy the bike with the best suspension?), but also because virtually every used words like "stable", "planted", "solid" to describe how the bike rides. Those are all of the qualities I love in a dirt bike.

I'd of likely had to spend at least a grand on the RX and KX Suspension to make it work for me...the FX suspension will be raced stock (at 180lbs it's sprung for my weight...and the valving is perfect). All testers said the RX suspension was stiff (I've got a buddy that is a legit pro-raced Baja, Dakar, NHHA, BITD, etc...and he said the RX suspension was stiff), and the KX is a moto set up, so it's obviously stiff.

The FX has a very low first gear...the RX and KX don't, which means I'd of had to put a rekluse clutch in those to make them manageable in the slower/technical trail sections. The FX will work stock. Another grand out the door on those bikes. (Though, simply for racing purposes-not ever stalling-I may put a rekluse in this bike anyway...time will tell).

Seat time will tell me if I made the right decision...hopefully I did!
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
8/29/2019 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2019 3:53pm
Titan1 wrote:
So I spent way to much time researching these three bikes...talking with dealers (mostly about price)...reading shootouts, and magazine reviews...looking at forums...etc. etc. way to much...
So I spent way to much time researching these three bikes...talking with dealers (mostly about price)...reading shootouts, and magazine reviews...looking at forums...etc. etc. way to much time.

I ended up picking up a 2019 YZ450FX today...I spent a grand more than I would have on an RX and about $1500 more than I would have on the KX...

But I went with the FX because of the shootouts and magazine reviews...not because of where it finished in the shootouts-though it did well in all of them-but because, without fail, everyone raved about the suspension (if suspension is the most important part of a bike, why not buy the bike with the best suspension?), but also because virtually every used words like "stable", "planted", "solid" to describe how the bike rides. Those are all of the qualities I love in a dirt bike.

I'd of likely had to spend at least a grand on the RX and KX Suspension to make it work for me...the FX suspension will be raced stock (at 180lbs it's sprung for my weight...and the valving is perfect). All testers said the RX suspension was stiff (I've got a buddy that is a legit pro-raced Baja, Dakar, NHHA, BITD, etc...and he said the RX suspension was stiff), and the KX is a moto set up, so it's obviously stiff.

The FX has a very low first gear...the RX and KX don't, which means I'd of had to put a rekluse clutch in those to make them manageable in the slower/technical trail sections. The FX will work stock. Another grand out the door on those bikes. (Though, simply for racing purposes-not ever stalling-I may put a rekluse in this bike anyway...time will tell).

Hopefully so...and hopefully you don't have battery probs when you're out riding, since the YZ450FX (and the KXF for that matter) won't run if the battery pukes (so I am told by a pro offroad rider who lost a battery...costing him a race)
Timo_2824
9/1/2019 9:53pm
If you're going to be running lights or any other electrical accessories, the WR rotor should bump up the stator output.
Titan1
9/3/2019 9:07am
Titan1 wrote:
So I spent way to much time researching these three bikes...talking with dealers (mostly about price)...reading shootouts, and magazine reviews...looking at forums...etc. etc. way to much...

Hopefully so...and hopefully you don't have battery probs when you're out riding, since the YZ450FX (and the KXF for that matter) won't run if the battery...
Hopefully so...and hopefully you don't have battery probs when you're out riding, since the YZ450FX (and the KXF for that matter) won't run if the battery pukes (so I am told by a pro offroad rider who lost a battery...costing him a race)
I dont think that's true that it won't run with a dead batter (never mind that it doesn't make any sense)...I was reading a review from Keiffer and he said he killed his batter on a ride and just bump started it down a hill and riding it gradually recharged the battery throughout the ride so that it would start again with the button.
Titan1
9/3/2019 9:09am
Timo_2824 wrote:
If you're going to be running lights or any other electrical accessories, the WR rotor should bump up the stator output.
Good to know! Thank you.

Post a reply to: 450FX, 450RX, or KX450

The Latest