2021 CRF 450 X opinions

Chance1216
Edited Date/Time 5/19/2021 6:35pm
I’m on the fence and debating getting a CRF 450 X.
I’ve been using a CR 250 for a few years as a woods bike in the PNW and, it’s time for a new scooter. I was hoping to get some opinions on this particular model as moving to a four stroke is something I never thought I’d be doing. It was either this or, a CR 500 lol.
|
MelonFan123
1/12/2021 10:43pm
From what I have heard about the bike, it's at home in west coast open style off-road and GPs. Sounds like it can be a handful in the slower, more technical stuff.

If you're on IG, check out the @endurolyfe guys, they are diehard Honda guys and ride nothing but offroad. They recently put a 400 kit on their '21 450x in order to tame the power a bit.

I've also seen a "enduro" spec JCR Honda 450x in a magazine test with specific motor mods and a re-mapped ECU to smooth out the power. Find Xeno here on Vital, I believe he works for JCR and can fill you in on things
Chance1216
1/13/2021 6:05am
From what I have heard about the bike, it's at home in west coast open style off-road and GPs. Sounds like it can be a handful...
From what I have heard about the bike, it's at home in west coast open style off-road and GPs. Sounds like it can be a handful in the slower, more technical stuff.

If you're on IG, check out the @endurolyfe guys, they are diehard Honda guys and ride nothing but offroad. They recently put a 400 kit on their '21 450x in order to tame the power a bit.

I've also seen a "enduro" spec JCR Honda 450x in a magazine test with specific motor mods and a re-mapped ECU to smooth out the power. Find Xeno here on Vital, I believe he works for JCR and can fill you in on things
Thank you for the response. It’s better to know what I should expect rather then blindly buying a bike. A lot of the reviews I’ve read seemed slightly biased pointing out only positives so, it’s tough coming to a conclusion.
MelonFan123
1/13/2021 11:05am
@chance1216 - d'oh! Even though i clearly typed out 450X I was referring to the 450RX. Totally got them confused for some reason. It was late night when I saw your post Laughing

So all of that above advice is not on the bike you asked about. The X is much more forgiving and mellow for offload use, especially PNW stuff. Are you dead set on a 450 though? The 250RX would be a really fun bike in the tight and flow single track woods.
Chance1216
1/13/2021 12:03pm
@chance1216 - d'oh! Even though i clearly typed out 450X I was referring to the 450RX. Totally got them confused for some reason. It was late...
@chance1216 - d'oh! Even though i clearly typed out 450X I was referring to the 450RX. Totally got them confused for some reason. It was late night when I saw your post Laughing

So all of that above advice is not on the bike you asked about. The X is much more forgiving and mellow for offload use, especially PNW stuff. Are you dead set on a 450 though? The 250RX would be a really fun bike in the tight and flow single track woods.
Before all this Covid stuff, I typically would road trip down to So Cal bi annually to ride out in the open desert. I figured the 450 X would be a bit more versatile switching between the PNW and down there. I’m open to options though honestly. I figured I needed to do some research before pulling the trigger on anything. Before the X, I was considering the RX but, after reading up a bit on it, I came to the same conclusion of it being a handful as well. You’ve peaked my interest with regard to the 250 RX though. Another item to read up on LoL. 😂 Thanks once again. 👍

The Shop

Crash217
1/13/2021 1:05pm
I've ridden my friends well set up '18 450RX a handful of times. Its a good bike, shockingly nimble for a 450. Its a handful in the tight stuff even with a soft map and Rekluse. I'm a small guy and typically ride tight and technical trails so its definitely not the bike i'd choose, but my buddy as well as several others really like their 450's regardless of the terrain we ride.
Titan1.
1/14/2021 4:50pm
The RX is more race oriented from a chassis and suspension perspective. A friend of mine-MRAN, Baja, BITD pro-rides one...he loves it in sand and open desert...but says he can't ride it in rocks ("can't ride it" is an exaggeration obviously...he's still plenty fast, but gets passed by guys he feels he shouldn't in rocks because the bike is to stiff...even after revalve after revalve.)

The yamaha 450FX is more friendly in the suspension and chassis department.

But on any 450 in the woods...2nd gear is your friend. It takes a bit of clutch, but that is where I live on my YZ450FX in the slow/techincial stuff. 1st gear is so low its almost unusable.
TeamGreen
1/15/2021 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2021 2:28pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I’m on the fence and debating getting a CRF 450 X. I’ve been using a CR 250 for a few years as a woods bike in...
I’ve been using a CR 250 for a few years as a woods bike in the PNW and, it’s time for a new scooter. I was hoping to get some opinions on this particular model as moving to a four stroke is something I never thought I’d be doing. It was either this or, a CR 500 lol.
I've got a CRF450X arriving next week. It's SOOOOOO much better than an R/RX for 'anything' trail or real off-road "ride" type use. I'm building this one for Baja/Rip to Cabo use. I've ridden the R/RX and X/L a lot..lots of hours and lots of miles.

I'd take an X over the R/RX all day for the vast majority of "off-road".

I'd even go as far to say that I'd choose the X over the RX for most true Dez or long-loop western off-road races.

At very agro/tight/short loop off-road, I'd probably run the RX...but, I'd still really prefer the X gear-box.

I've got a ton of miles on an L in really tricky and technical off-road stuff that boarders on 'hard-enduro'...it's mass is the real difference when the going get's tough-tight-slow.
Disclaimer: All the L riding I've done is on a bike that's got a Vortex, Twisted Development head-work/cam and Yosh or PC pipe. I don't have the patience to put up with the L motor in stock form.

I've ridden X's stock; but, they're a helluva lot better with a Vortex and a pipe.

I'll be "breaking-in" my X in on the track at GH and Pala. I'll file a 'report' after my initial stock hours. Grinning
Timo
1/17/2021 9:02pm
I've had a 450FX for 2 years and coming off a WR250F I think the 450 is actually easier for me to trail ride. You can lug it and get away with a lot more on the 450, I've come around blind corners in second with no run up and climbed things I wouldn't have a chance on the 250F without turning around and getting more speed. Now full on race pace in the trees is another story. Think I'd want one of my old 250 smokers if I was still racing Hare Scrambles. If you're going to trail ride with occasional trips to the desert I'd definitely recommend the 450.

Chance1216
1/20/2021 5:17pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I’m on the fence and debating getting a CRF 450 X. I’ve been using a CR 250 for a few years as a woods bike in...
TeamGreen wrote:
I've got a CRF450X arriving next week. It's SOOOOOO much better than an R/RX for 'anything' trail or real off-road "ride" type use. I'm building this...
I've got a CRF450X arriving next week. It's SOOOOOO much better than an R/RX for 'anything' trail or real off-road "ride" type use. I'm building this one for Baja/Rip to Cabo use. I've ridden the R/RX and X/L a lot..lots of hours and lots of miles.

I'd take an X over the R/RX all day for the vast majority of "off-road".

I'd even go as far to say that I'd choose the X over the RX for most true Dez or long-loop western off-road races.

At very agro/tight/short loop off-road, I'd probably run the RX...but, I'd still really prefer the X gear-box.

I've got a ton of miles on an L in really tricky and technical off-road stuff that boarders on 'hard-enduro'...it's mass is the real difference when the going get's tough-tight-slow.
Disclaimer: All the L riding I've done is on a bike that's got a Vortex, Twisted Development head-work/cam and Yosh or PC pipe. I don't have the patience to put up with the L motor in stock form.

I've ridden X's stock; but, they're a helluva lot better with a Vortex and a pipe.

I'll be "breaking-in" my X in on the track at GH and Pala. I'll file a 'report' after my initial stock hours. Grinning
Sounds good. I’m interested in using this particular model for the Desert 100 here in Washington so it’s quite appealing. Thanks for your insight.
Chance1216
1/20/2021 5:24pm
Timo wrote:
I've had a 450FX for 2 years and coming off a WR250F I think the 450 is actually easier for me to trail ride. You can...
I've had a 450FX for 2 years and coming off a WR250F I think the 450 is actually easier for me to trail ride. You can lug it and get away with a lot more on the 450, I've come around blind corners in second with no run up and climbed things I wouldn't have a chance on the 250F without turning around and getting more speed. Now full on race pace in the trees is another story. Think I'd want one of my old 250 smokers if I was still racing Hare Scrambles. If you're going to trail ride with occasional trips to the desert I'd definitely recommend the 450.

I have an 01 CR 250 I use quite a bit for woods riding. I’ve enjoyed it but, the downside is parts are getting harder and harder to find. I have enough extras to switch back and forth between PNW trails and, California desert. I’m just looking at moving on to something newer with better parts availability.

Treedy39
4/25/2021 9:07pm
Titan1. wrote:
The RX is more race oriented from a chassis and suspension perspective. A friend of mine-MRAN, Baja, BITD pro-rides one...he loves it in sand and open...
The RX is more race oriented from a chassis and suspension perspective. A friend of mine-MRAN, Baja, BITD pro-rides one...he loves it in sand and open desert...but says he can't ride it in rocks ("can't ride it" is an exaggeration obviously...he's still plenty fast, but gets passed by guys he feels he shouldn't in rocks because the bike is to stiff...even after revalve after revalve.)

But on any 450 in the woods...2nd gear is your friend. It takes a bit of clutch, but that is where I live on my YZ450FX in the slow/techincial stuff. 1st gear is so low its almost unusable.
so I am on a 2021 YZ450FX. I tend to agree with you. had my suspension done and it is great. however, good god I hate the Ktm xc-w like gap between 2nd and 3rd is a complete bitch.. lol. I'm considering going to a 49t rear sprocket in hopes of stretching 1st, 2nd and 3rd just a hair. cus everyonce in a while I tend to run out of range in 3rd by say 20yards before some turns... lmao.im also hoping that 49 sprocket will take just the edge off of the overall jumpiness of the engine... even with mellower maps. I love the bike tho!
Timo
5/19/2021 6:35pm
Titan1. wrote:
The RX is more race oriented from a chassis and suspension perspective. A friend of mine-MRAN, Baja, BITD pro-rides one...he loves it in sand and open...

Treedy39 wrote:
so I am on a 2021 YZ450FX. I tend to agree with you. had my suspension done and it is great. however, good god I hate...
so I am on a 2021 YZ450FX. I tend to agree with you. had my suspension done and it is great. however, good god I hate the Ktm xc-w like gap between 2nd and 3rd is a complete bitch.. lol. I'm considering going to a 49t rear sprocket in hopes of stretching 1st, 2nd and 3rd just a hair. cus everyonce in a while I tend to run out of range in 3rd by say 20yards before some turns... lmao.im also hoping that 49 sprocket will take just the edge off of the overall jumpiness of the engine... even with mellower maps. I love the bike tho!
I don't really notice the gap, just rev it out more before shifting. Like people saying 1st isn't usable, I use it almost every ride.

Post a reply to: 2021 CRF 450 X opinions

The Latest