working from home

Related:
Create New Tag

4/26/2017 8:46 AM

anyone with long term experience being an at-home and/or remote employee? I'm just starting a new gig for a digital ad agency based in NY. A few years back I was self-employed on a consultant basis for a little over 3 years but with that gig I was always running around to various clients I was working with, meetings, projects, etc. This new role is primarily all online communication with the occasional client meeting and about 2-3 trade shows a year.

I worked in a traditional office setting at my previous ad agency and I can already tell I miss that collaborative environment. Anybody have any tips or suggestions on not going stir crazy? Also maximizing efficiency? The world wide web is a wonderful thing but it also can easily be a major time waster and productivity killer.

|

4/26/2017 8:54 AM

I would start my day here with my toes in the sand and a big ass breakfast burrito while checking my e-mails. After that, a pizza, nap or whatever. Doesn't really matter. Newport Beach...lucky you.

Photo

Photo

|

4/26/2017 9:06 AM

Dang melon, I'm in an office setting and it's alright. But lately, I've just been tired of being in the office. I wish more companies offered the happy medium of working from home 3 or 4 days a week and working on site 2 or 3 days.

At some point I get the feeling that it's just a "grass is always greener on the other side". I may get tired of working from home eventually but I love my home office and the setup I have. I have a nice enough view also.

|

4/26/2017 9:09 AM

I work from home a couple days a month. I prefer the office, but home now and then is nice.
I do web development for a financial software company so I can work anywhere. Sounds great, but in a way it's a curse.
I can masturbate over lunch much easier, that's the biggest perk.

|

4/26/2017 9:16 AM

I have worked from home for the last decade or so. I find I get MUCH more work done at home, not being constantly interrupted by every Tom, Dick, and Harry. How not to go stir crazy? I haven't had the problem, always wayyy too much to get finished to have time to think about that. All I can say is I don't have a dedicated home office, I work from various parts of the house. My fav part of working from home is having so much natural sunlight, something I rarely had before. I get more work done, I get more family time, I save so much time (and gas money) that was wasted in traffic, companies should have a LOT more people cyber-commute.

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

4/26/2017 9:49 AM

I have the ability to work from home twice and days of my choice. Only stipulation is there are days when I need to be the office, but most meetings can be accomplished using WebEx. Has it positives, but their are days where I can struggle with productivity. That is usually because of a project/task I am wanting to complete at the house. This will sound stupid, but in those times I maximize productivity by reminding myself of the blessing it is to have the option to work from home. Gas savings alone is worth it seeing my wife and I travel 30-40 minutes to work depending on traffic. Another thing I had to do was create a work place away from my usual hang out and away from tempting distractions such as dogs, tv's, etc. Last thing I usually do is have a podcast or music playing to help me focus. I couldn't WFH everyday even though it would be nice. A few days are nice and allows me to better plan life around work.

|

4/26/2017 11:14 AM

haha that's a good game plan Newman, but Stuft Surfer is overrated imo. Besides I prefer Mutt's next door anyway, their cold schooners of beer always hit the spot. But it's all a moot point as I don't live in Newport anymore (please don't call it Newps people, nobody there does). Had a solid 6 yr run living on the Peninsula and it was a blast! But finally settled down with a lady and married life took us north a bit and out of the OC circus.

gt80 and JRT812 - thanks for the info and first hand experience. I think I need to find a good routine that will allow me to stay focused, accomplish what I need to, and i'll be all good! Found a cool little incubator office space (similar to WeWork but on a much smaller scale) where it's a collective workspace environment right here in my hometown, 5 min down the road. It's part of the local college and their Entrepreneur program funds and runs it. Full of startups and similar minded professionals so I think I found a good place for the best of both worlds.

|

4/26/2017 11:38 AM

MelonFan123 wrote:

haha that's a good game plan Newman, but Stuft Surfer is overrated imo. Besides I prefer Mutt's next door anyway, their cold schooners of beer always hit the spot. But it's all a moot point as I don't live in Newport anymore (please don't call it Newps people, nobody there does). Had a solid 6 yr run living on the Peninsula and it was a blast! But finally settled down with a lady and married life took us north a bit and out of the OC circus.

gt80 and JRT812 - thanks for the info and first hand experience. I think I need to find a good routine that will allow me to stay focused, accomplish what I need to, and i'll be all good! Found a cool little incubator office space (similar to WeWork but on a much smaller scale) where it's a collective workspace environment right here in my hometown, 5 min down the road. It's part of the local college and their Entrepreneur program funds and runs it. Full of startups and similar minded professionals so I think I found a good place for the best of both worlds.

Good deal and best of luck!

|

4/26/2017 11:52 AM

I had a job where I worked from home 1 day a week, and then another job where I worked from home 3 days a week. I also did this while doing my part to take care of my son from infancy to a toddler. If you don't have a child to worry about taking care of then you should be fine if you set yourself up with a routine to get things done. Trying to work from home and taking care of a kid is the absolute worst productivity killer. It's amazing how fast making breakfast, making lunch, getting together snacks, potty breaks, etc. can kill your productivity.

|

4/26/2017 12:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2017 12:26 PM

I have been full time work from home for over a year now and it's tricky to get accustomed to but I can't imagine losing this sweet gig after doing it for a while. I don't miss the daily 100 mile round trip through the city and across 2 bridges at all. I can get laundry and other crap done while I work. One of my coworkers moved to Arizona and works full time from there. I wanted to get an RV and work from Florida in the winter and from Colorado in the summer but my wife seems to want no part of it. She doesn't realize that she doesn't have to go with me.

|

4/26/2017 12:28 PM

I'm going on 24 years of working from a home based office in the software and integration business, it's awesome. Someone already mentioned it, but you can get a lot more done because there a fewer distractions among other advantages.

|

Adapt, mutate, or die

Give me a two stroke or give me death

2001 KX-500

1983 KX-125

1979 Maico Magnum 440

4/26/2017 12:32 PM

I'm a few weeks out from working from home 3 days a week....will be in the office Monday and Tuesday and home rest of the week. Looking forward to it as I can change up my routine a bunch and have more time for my daily workout.w00t

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

4/26/2017 7:07 PM

|

4/26/2017 7:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2017 8:56 PM

I got some dirty jeans I could let go for half that price bro.....I could even thrown in an extra jar of dirt (just add water) laughing

|

4/26/2017 8:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2017 11:29 AM

|

4/26/2017 8:56 PM

Old-Man wrote:

Just trying to sell some pants is all....lol

|

4/26/2017 9:09 PM

You could sort of say that I work from home, but not necessarily my house.......

My wife, however, thinks that she wants to work from home. She's a medical coder, and she gets all these offers for remote coding positions. I always tell her that there's no way she could function as well at home with all the distractions we have here, but the real reason is probably more like I don't want anyone else in the house making noise during the few times a month that I actually have time for lunch at the house, and I choose the nap over the pizza..........

I DO end up working from my house over 40 hours a week on admin and regulatory issues. It's massive the amount of hoops to jump through to successfully harvest organic fruit, while fulfilling all of the Global Gap/SQF requirements demanded by retailers. I think that when I came back to farming, a few of my neighboring growers snickered a bit when I brought my iPad with me everywhere. Now most of the neighbors that I consider to be good farmers and aware of their surroundings are using tools like the iPad, MS Surface, larger smartphones, etc.

For me, the daytime quiet of the house is the best time to bring order to my thoughts

|

4/26/2017 11:10 PM

I've worked from home the last 9 years for a company based in Singapore. There is no office in the States, so it's often years between seeing anyone with the company. Simply put, it's a trade-off. You'll be missing some social interactions, some laughs, etc.. but you'll also be missing much of the corporate BS, endless meetings, the back-stabbing weasels, etc.. Just don't lose touch with your true friends and you're good.

Only red flag is that you are in a brainstorming type industry, so you may have to figure out how exchange ideas every now and then; maybe via blogs, industry message boards??

And Newmann, pants are not a requirement when working from home; and I rarely wear shoes anymore.

|

4/27/2017 2:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2017 2:09 AM

I've been working remote since before I graduated college so 3 years now almost to the day. I work as a remote Web/App Developer and was awesome for awhile but I did go stir crazy after a year or so. Going and working at coffee shop to coffee shop didn't work for me. I found them loud and annoying and missed having my screens.

Luckily a guy I contract with has an office and he lets me go and use the space with him and a few other contractors so its awesome. Its almost like having co-workers in fact I share projects with some. But I have many other clients, I come and go as I please and its just a good deal. If I wanna wake up at at 11am no big deal, If I dont go in there for weeks no big deal. If I go in at 3pm when everyone leaves, no issue. Of course I run my own company so I can have a little more freedom than if I was an employee some where

It's only 5 minutes from my house but it helps so much keep focus and getting burnt out.

|

4/27/2017 3:00 AM

Been doing it for years. I like it.

|

HAF

4/27/2017 4:14 AM

My wife does it one day a week and we have a 16 month old at home . She said it's way harder then working in her office.

|

4/27/2017 4:48 AM

Since73 wrote:

I've worked from home the last 9 years for a company based in Singapore. There is no office in the States, so it's often years between seeing anyone with the company. Simply put, it's a trade-off. You'll be missing some social interactions, some laughs, etc.. but you'll also be missing much of the corporate BS, endless meetings, the back-stabbing weasels, etc.. Just don't lose touch with your true friends and you're good.

Only red flag is that you are in a brainstorming type industry, so you may have to figure out how exchange ideas every now and then; maybe via blogs, industry message boards??

And Newmann, pants are not a requirement when working from home; and I rarely wear shoes anymore.

laughing

Not to mention you have plenty of time to build cool stuff in the garage. What project is next?
|

4/27/2017 9:12 PM

Since73 wrote:

newmann wrote: laughing

Not to mention you have plenty of time to build cool stuff in the garage. What project is next?

Well, you're pretty familiar with where my last project came from, soooo.....

|