why i carry a pistol

hillbilly
|
Jimmy_Sloan
6/21/2016 3:14pm
What do you think the chances are that's going to happen to you?
hillbilly
6/21/2016 3:40pm
Been jumped several times in my younger days. Since kids I dont put myself in places i used to love going.

I've had knife swung at me and one time found a scared kid that had just robbed a liquor store hiding in the bushes behind the carwash i worked. The barrel right on my nose as he shook. Probably shoulda died that day.

I'm to old to fight 3 guys so pulling out a roscoe and backing them up seems much simpler.
moto922
6/21/2016 4:15pm
hillbilly wrote:
Been jumped several times in my younger days. Since kids I dont put myself in places i used to love going. I've had knife swung at...
Been jumped several times in my younger days. Since kids I dont put myself in places i used to love going.

I've had knife swung at me and one time found a scared kid that had just robbed a liquor store hiding in the bushes behind the carwash i worked. The barrel right on my nose as he shook. Probably shoulda died that day.

I'm to old to fight 3 guys so pulling out a roscoe and backing them up seems much simpler.
I got my CCP three years ago. Having my pistol in my pocket feels like taking a friend with me. I've had some training from ex- cop. He told me to never pull my pistol out of my pocket unless I was going to use it to kill. Ex-cop said never pull gun unless you felt you're going to die. Also said most bad guys also has a pistol in their pocket. I'm 64 and also to old to fight one bad guy.

The Shop

6/21/2016 4:31pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2016 4:33pm
Guy two weeks ago told me he was gonna pile drive me into the ground because when I paralleled parked the lady behind me backed into him. Said it was my fault.

I said call the cops. He didn't like that. Pushed me. Threatened my fiancé. Said he was gonna slap her around too. He Lunged into me I hit the ground got up walked away. He didn't follow. Cops came. Arrested him. True story. I was carrying. Nobody ever knew it. How it's supposed to be. But if that shit head woulda started beating my face I would of shot him. That the short story. Booked him for ovi and aggravated menacing. I dropped charges for aggravated menacing and aggravated assault Don't need him knowing where I live.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
6/21/2016 5:22pm
Guy two weeks ago told me he was gonna pile drive me into the ground because when I paralleled parked the lady behind me backed into...
Guy two weeks ago told me he was gonna pile drive me into the ground because when I paralleled parked the lady behind me backed into him. Said it was my fault.

I said call the cops. He didn't like that. Pushed me. Threatened my fiancé. Said he was gonna slap her around too. He Lunged into me I hit the ground got up walked away. He didn't follow. Cops came. Arrested him. True story. I was carrying. Nobody ever knew it. How it's supposed to be. But if that shit head woulda started beating my face I would of shot him. That the short story. Booked him for ovi and aggravated menacing. I dropped charges for aggravated menacing and aggravated assault Don't need him knowing where I live.
WTF!? Where did that take place? That's BS. Not sure I would have taken his crap once he threatened my wife or kids. Not that I would have pulled on him but probably jacked up his face after being pushed.

I was jumped at a festival years ago by a punk trying to steal my camera bag. Took me down from behind. His two buddies grabbed my friends wife trying to steal her bag. My wife maced those guys and I beat the $hit out of the guy that jumped me. Cops came and broke us up. Took us in and I was released, other dude had a rap sheet 2 miles long.

Glad you have a clear head.
hillbilly
6/21/2016 5:32pm
hillbilly wrote:
Guy two weeks ago told me he was gonna pile drive me into the ground because when I paralleled parked the lady behind me backed into...

He probably learned nothing, a pistol stuck in his face would make a guy think twice next time.

Which is why i carry a revolver,just safer wrestling around, yeah,its a true Saturday nite special,get my stuff at the pool hall.
6/21/2016 5:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2016 5:56pm
Yes and no.

A. I'm a professional. I can't lose my professional license for assault. But I won't hesitate to if I fear for my life.

B. I firmly believe you shouldn't be pulling a gun out and waving it around in public--unless you're protecting your life and you truly believe it's in danger.

This guy was a little buzzed apparently. Biligirent yes. He pushed me and Lunged into me and it knocked me off balance and I fell down. im 5-11 160 lbs. He was 220 and 6 foot tall ish. I fell. At that point I wasnt injured. Sore elbow, but he didn't jump on my chest and start beating me. He stood his ground. I got up and said just back off man I'm not gonna fight you. And my fiancé screams what are you 10 years old? Threatening to pile drive him? And that's when he said you better keep a watch on your old ladies mouth before I slap her around.

Again. Pissed he's threatening my fiancé. But it's just words. He didn't do it. And again I said just leave us alone. Then cop rolled up. Explained to all parties I had right away to back into a parallel spot, ticketed woman for failure to control by backing into the angry biligirent semi buzzed/drunk guy. Breathalized tough guy, got him for OVI. And then kindly asked if I wanted to pursue aggravated assault and menacing. I declined. I'm not giving that shit head a right to face his accuser (me accusing him of assault) because then he knows my address and comes to retaliate. Fuck that.

You people gotta be smart with a gun. It's a major responsibility. And you'll get a felony in a hurry if you can't manage a fucked up situation.
hillbilly
6/21/2016 6:05pm
Yes and no. A. I'm a professional. I can't lose my professional license for assault. But I won't hesitate to if I fear for my life...
Yes and no.

A. I'm a professional. I can't lose my professional license for assault. But I won't hesitate to if I fear for my life.

B. I firmly believe you shouldn't be pulling a gun out and waving it around in public--unless you're protecting your life and you truly believe it's in danger.

This guy was a little buzzed apparently. Biligirent yes. He pushed me and Lunged into me and it knocked me off balance and I fell down. im 5-11 160 lbs. He was 220 and 6 foot tall ish. I fell. At that point I wasnt injured. Sore elbow, but he didn't jump on my chest and start beating me. He stood his ground. I got up and said just back off man I'm not gonna fight you. And my fiancé screams what are you 10 years old? Threatening to pile drive him? And that's when he said you better keep a watch on your old ladies mouth before I slap her around.

Again. Pissed he's threatening my fiancé. But it's just words. He didn't do it. And again I said just leave us alone. Then cop rolled up. Explained to all parties I had right away to back into a parallel spot, ticketed woman for failure to control by backing into the angry biligirent semi buzzed/drunk guy. Breathalized tough guy, got him for OVI. And then kindly asked if I wanted to pursue aggravated assault and menacing. I declined. I'm not giving that shit head a right to face his accuser (me accusing him of assault) because then he knows my address and comes to retaliate. Fuck that.

You people gotta be smart with a gun. It's a major responsibility. And you'll get a felony in a hurry if you can't manage a fucked up situation.
Yeah,you got to read the situation. I guess all the stuff i stuck myself in during my teens and twentys helps out a bunch.

I can read someone so well,all the dirtbagery i been around here edumcakted me finely.

The big difference is life is meaningless today and how far you let something go.
newmann
6/21/2016 7:03pm
A couple months ago I had a 60 year old 275 pound black woman on my back after she rear ended the wife's car at the entrance to a strip mall store. Nothing good would have come from me elbowing her in the face or stuffing a Sig 228 in her mouth. I was having a hard time keeping from laughing but if the crazy woman would have had a knife things could have gone really bad, really quick. Her family showing up calling the wife and I white trash and telling the cops(that I had called) that they better f'ng arrest my sorry ass did not help her case. Cop's asked if I was carrying when I handed my license and CHL and shrugged it off as a daily occurrence of local nutjobs , did not give any of my information and got me all of her insurance info which is all I wanted in the first place. I deal with wrecked cars every day, no drama needed. She still left in the amberlamps claiming I assaulted her, punched her in the mouth and tweaked her already purple bandaged ankle and wanted to file charges. A dozen or so witnesses said otherwise though and applauded my "restraint". Her insurance eventually paid to repair our brand new car and along with not pressing assault charges, I didn't even file a diminished value claim against her insurer or ask for a rental car. Didn't fall out on the pavement grabbing my neck either. No chiropractor , soft tissue damage or a Texas Hammer lawyer needed. I'm just too fuggin nice I guess.

A couple days later I had a friend of mine, who happens to be black, over at my house and we built some AR15's to go shooting with. Good friends, good times. Don't let the assholes slow you down.

JRT812
6/21/2016 7:52pm
Like moto922 said only pull if you're willing to use it. Carrying gives me a sense of comfort but I hope to never be in that situation. Personally I think the way gun owners are viewed in today's age scares me the most. I feel like I would have to fight for the reason I had to use my gun if I was ever put in that situation. Almost makes me not want to even carry.
6/21/2016 8:15pm
Jrt you'd probably rather sit in prison knowing you or your family isn't dead. I would Atleast. But yea carrying is a huge responsibility that would be much nicer if we didn't have to.
kripple428
6/21/2016 8:19pm
I have 2-3 guns on me at all times. Glock 19 on my hip .38 in my pocket and an AR-15 that stays in my truck or in my toolbox if I'm at work. I hope I never need them but I'd much rather have it and never need to use it than be in a situation where I need it and be defenseless. People are fucking crazy these days
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
6/21/2016 8:22pm
Just curious, where yall carrying at? I keep my gun around but rarely on me unless I'm meeting someone off craigslist.
It's real uncomfortable under my belt, and I just can't find a comfortable place for the gun. Best place is the inside pocket of my Carhartt, but no way I'm wearing that thing in June lol
kripple428
6/21/2016 8:31pm
colintrax wrote:
Just curious, where yall carrying at? I keep my gun around but rarely on me unless I'm meeting someone off craigslist. It's real uncomfortable under my...
Just curious, where yall carrying at? I keep my gun around but rarely on me unless I'm meeting someone off craigslist.
It's real uncomfortable under my belt, and I just can't find a comfortable place for the gun. Best place is the inside pocket of my Carhartt, but no way I'm wearing that thing in June lol
Well I try and only wear pants/shorts that have cargo pockets or extra pockets so my keys phone etc go in the cargo pockets and I keep the revolver in a holster in my pocket. Then my glock I have an inside the waistband holster and I keep it around close to my back like right above my wallet pocket. I hardly ever notice it and I am a mechanic so I'm up and down all day all kinds of positions. Even laying on a creeper I hardly notice it anymore. Just be careful you don't carry it too close to the center of your back Ive heard some night mare stories of people slipping and falling or whatever and ending up with spinal injuries from falling with their weight on top of their gun.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
6/21/2016 8:37pm
colintrax wrote:
Just curious, where yall carrying at? I keep my gun around but rarely on me unless I'm meeting someone off craigslist. It's real uncomfortable under my...
kripple428 wrote:
Well I try and only wear pants/shorts that have cargo pockets or extra pockets so my keys phone etc go in the cargo pockets and I...
Well I try and only wear pants/shorts that have cargo pockets or extra pockets so my keys phone etc go in the cargo pockets and I keep the revolver in a holster in my pocket. Then my glock I have an inside the waistband holster and I keep it around close to my back like right above my wallet pocket. I hardly ever notice it and I am a mechanic so I'm up and down all day all kinds of positions. Even laying on a creeper I hardly notice it anymore. Just be careful you don't carry it too close to the center of your back Ive heard some night mare stories of people slipping and falling or whatever and ending up with spinal injuries from falling with their weight on top of their gun.
What kinda gun is the revolver? Mines just a 9mm but no way it'd fit in my pockets with the holster. Granted I have a fatass holster but still.

Where you keep the glock is exactly where I keep mine. It's the most comfortable I've found, but it's no fun to sit down with. And it only takes a few minutes for my shirt to ride up on top of it, and then I'm showing the world I'm carrying. It's got me in trouble before.
kripple428
6/21/2016 8:57pm
colintrax wrote:
What kinda gun is the revolver? Mines just a 9mm but no way it'd fit in my pockets with the holster. Granted I have a fatass...
What kinda gun is the revolver? Mines just a 9mm but no way it'd fit in my pockets with the holster. Granted I have a fatass holster but still.

Where you keep the glock is exactly where I keep mine. It's the most comfortable I've found, but it's no fun to sit down with. And it only takes a few minutes for my shirt to ride up on top of it, and then I'm showing the world I'm carrying. It's got me in trouble before.
The revolver is just a snub nose .38 it fits in my pocket pretty well. I wear my pants pretty high in the back not like urkel or anything but I wear them pulled up pretty high with a belt and I never really notice it when I'm sitting but with that said I'm on my feet 90% of the time and I probably wouldn't want it there if I was going on a road trip or if I was going to be sitting for a long period of time. Also most people have to go up a pants size once they start carrying so if you haven't you may want to try that it could be why you're uncomfortable sitting. Might even want to take your gun and holster and try one some different style pants etc. You definetily want to be as comfortable as possible because if its uncomfortable for you you will be a lot more inclined to leave it at home and thats great if your house gets broken into but if you are out in public and your gun is at home it isn't doing you any good lol. As for the shirt thing it doesn't really bother me I spend most of my time at work and everyone there carries so its not a big deal for them to see it and I mean I have a permit and a right to carry it so I don't really mind if it ends up outside my shirt with that being said I I don't really want to be flashing it to everyone because then that makes you a target if somebody is planning on robbing a place you're in etc so I do have some semi longer shirts if I'm going out.
kongols
6/21/2016 9:20pm
hillbilly wrote:

Wow, talk about self control...
You saved yourself years and years of headaches. Your teacher taught you good.
Jimmy_Sloan
6/21/2016 10:40pm
I didn't know so many personal experiences met up here on vital.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/21/2016 11:32pm

Smart man. Most of these other guys talk a lot of shit on what they would do but you did the right thing. Using your gun is a last resort and becoming the next George Zimmerman is not a good thing to do so as a fellow concealed carry citizen you did the best thing, if you would have been like some of these other tough guys your life could be ruined in an instant.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/21/2016 11:37pm
colintrax wrote:
I use a Galco slide cop pancake holster and either untucked shirt or a light button up over a Tee shirt for cover. Para companion II 7 shot single stack it pretty thin and easy to conceal.

6/22/2016 5:35am
colintrax wrote:
Carrying inside the waistband takes a little time to get used to. You have to decide you want to carry and just spend the time and money to do it. A quality belt and holster makes all the difference. I carry a XDS in a Harwell clip n go. I carry appendix which takes a little more time to get used to but has its advantages. One being if you get knocked on your back you don't land with a gun to the kidney or spine. The other is I have found in training that I can draw no matter the condition, even laying face down with someone on my back. Granted that isn't really the time to draw but it is possible. If you do start carrying on your person, spend the time practicing your draw. I still practice as much as I can with snap caps. Draw, point and shoot.
Firefly47
6/22/2016 5:40am
hillbilly wrote:
Been jumped several times in my younger days. Since kids I dont put myself in places i used to love going. I've had knife swung at...

You should wear some spurs, too cowboy.
71Fish
6/22/2016 6:01am
I got a CCP a couple years ago but rarely carry. I guess I should so I get used to it and more comfortable. Since I carry so seldom it feels odd. What I found is most comfortable though is a belly band. Doesn't bind or make my pant uncomfortable. Sometimes I carry in my pocket with a pocket holster but that still makes a large bump.

Just hope I'm never in a situation where I need it and don't have it, or have it and use it. As I get older I avoid the places I used to go, where shit usually goes down.
6/22/2016 8:18am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2016 8:18am
I carry my shield with a leather inside the waistband holster. I can wear gym shorts and t shirt. (What I was wearing during my incident) and I don't print and you can't tell unless you punch my hip. Then you'll feel metal.

Wierd to get used to, try different holsters. Now I don't realize it's on when I'm wearing it. But feel naked when I don't have it. I like my bianchi. It draws nicely without coming out with the gun. Protects my side from the gun digging into me. And it's quality leather. The cheap holsters are slippery and hot.

hillbilly
6/22/2016 8:24am
I wear work boots all the time and long pants, i made a holster that fits my leg.

The little 32 fits my pocket,

I just like revolvers for the safty and they are old and skinned up and no name on them,least,not mine.

If you got 2,shoot the thug,put the other in his hand and a pretty bow is tied on before the cops arrive.hehe
6/22/2016 8:59am
Lol. Just so everyone knows...guys like me aren't aggravating and antagonizing the media. As for hillbilly....lol, can't say the same. He probably gets all the anti gunners fired up. But it's his right, ha. I like the guy always makes me chuckle.
Krallang
6/22/2016 9:24am
I carry and have been hit by customers as well an employee in the field. Both times I simply called the police after myself or someone else had taken control of the situation. The day I am required to pull my weapon will be the day I fire it until the clip is empty l. I hope that I never am required to do so.

Growing up hunting I was taught to only point your gun at something you intend to kil
Krallang
6/22/2016 9:25am
hillbilly wrote:
I wear work boots all the time and long pants, i made a holster that fits my leg. The little 32 fits my pocket, I just...
I wear work boots all the time and long pants, i made a holster that fits my leg.

The little 32 fits my pocket,

I just like revolvers for the safty and they are old and skinned up and no name on them,least,not mine.

If you got 2,shoot the thug,put the other in his hand and a pretty bow is tied on before the cops arrive.hehe
I was informed it's best to put something of personal value in his hand such as your wallet.
APLMAN99
6/22/2016 9:26am
I think the ideal situation for everyone is for self-proclaimed drunken drug abusers who are constantly getting into confrontations with law enforcement and other civilians to be as heavily armed as possible. Sounds like a great combination to me.

Post a reply to: why i carry a pistol

The Latest