whats the dealio

B DUB 333
Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 8:32am
I love music. Really aggressive loud punch you in face shit, even older rock. Van Halen and senses fail are my two favorite bands. I ask this, why does every band start to suck and change their style after say 5-10 years or after success? Van Halen was great until 1984, after Roth left things went down hill. Sames with senses fail, they were unbelievable for like five albums and then all of the sudden.... crap. I can think of a LOT of bands that fell into this model, why? It's like they just abandoned the people who flipping supported them! Anyone here in the biz or have a reason why? It drives me nuts. Where's my AR.....
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
3/24/2018 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2018 4:18pm
Whatever management says, you oblige, keep quiet and do the job. Happens all the time when they sign to major labels. Nothing's changed.

Other times the band member's just grow up. Life experience influences them. The bands evolve over time.
borg
3/24/2018 4:53pm
Most bands just run out of material. Then because of the contract they pound out mediocre stuff. You write good stuff, you can be a mediocre musician and be famous. After you're famous, you can get by for a little while on mediocre stuff, but not for long.
newmann
3/24/2018 5:40pm
Hate to break it to you but Van Halen sucked by 1981. Falling down drunk on stage and stopping multiple times because they just fucking fell apart.

The Shop

FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
3/24/2018 5:54pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2018 6:06pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
I love music. Really aggressive loud punch you in face shit, even older rock. Van Halen and senses fail are my two favorite bands. I ask...
I love music. Really aggressive loud punch you in face shit, even older rock. Van Halen and senses fail are my two favorite bands. I ask this, why does every band start to suck and change their style after say 5-10 years or after success? Van Halen was great until 1984, after Roth left things went down hill. Sames with senses fail, they were unbelievable for like five albums and then all of the sudden.... crap. I can think of a LOT of bands that fell into this model, why? It's like they just abandoned the people who flipping supported them! Anyone here in the biz or have a reason why? It drives me nuts. Where's my AR.....
They try to evolve in a musical sense I suppose to bring in a broader audience. I suppose it's a gamble for them...but pays off often.Whether it's a personal accomplishment or financial etc..
Seen it with bands from Metallica to old hardcore punk bands like C.O.C and NW hardcore/punk bands that turned into more grunge/alt bands etc. then went mainstream.
Chris Cornell(who passed last year) or even a guy like Dave Grohl would be good examples how they've changed musically from the start of their careers. For those 2 guys they got more successful over the years.

IMO
As for Halen....with Roth he was more of the in your face front man leading the band and in the limelight with a hard rock image.
With Hagar I think they worked together more as a band in a musical sense each contributing equally.
Again...it's like they jumped into more of mainstream sound then harder rock sound with that lineup.

B DUB 333
3/24/2018 6:43pm
newmann wrote:
Hate to break it to you but Van Halen sucked by 1981. Falling down drunk on stage and stopping multiple times because they just fucking fell...
Hate to break it to you but Van Halen sucked by 1981. Falling down drunk on stage and stopping multiple times because they just fucking fell apart.
I meant the album 1984, which now that I write this I bet was in 1984... but I can forgive a bad show here and there, however, I can see being pissed if I spent good money to see them and they were less than 100%.
B DUB 333
3/24/2018 6:45pm
Hey Newman, do u have a website or anything I can see your collection? You have like every bike I've ever wanted
B DUB 333
3/24/2018 6:47pm
borg wrote:
Most bands just run out of material. Then because of the contract they pound out mediocre stuff. You write good stuff, you can be a mediocre...
Most bands just run out of material. Then because of the contract they pound out mediocre stuff. You write good stuff, you can be a mediocre musician and be famous. After you're famous, you can get by for a little while on mediocre stuff, but not for long.
Again greed ruins a good thing. I wish there were no quotas on how many albums they make. Greed. Ruining everything everywhere
KMC440
3/24/2018 6:49pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
I love music. Really aggressive loud punch you in face shit, even older rock. Van Halen and senses fail are my two favorite bands. I ask...
FastEddy wrote:
They try to evolve in a musical sense I suppose to bring in a broader audience. I suppose it's a gamble for them...but pays off often.Whether...
They try to evolve in a musical sense I suppose to bring in a broader audience. I suppose it's a gamble for them...but pays off often.Whether it's a personal accomplishment or financial etc..
Seen it with bands from Metallica to old hardcore punk bands like C.O.C and NW hardcore/punk bands that turned into more grunge/alt bands etc. then went mainstream.
Chris Cornell(who passed last year) or even a guy like Dave Grohl would be good examples how they've changed musically from the start of their careers. For those 2 guys they got more successful over the years.

IMO
As for Halen....with Roth he was more of the in your face front man leading the band and in the limelight with a hard rock image.
With Hagar I think they worked together more as a band in a musical sense each contributing equally.
Again...it's like they jumped into more of mainstream sound then harder rock sound with that lineup.

Van Halen went to bubble gum pansy ass rock.

I'm sure they made crazy cash and their bosses were happy, but ...
B DUB 333
3/24/2018 6:55pm
KMC440 wrote:

100% agree. Music really moves me, much more so than a movie, it really blows when they go the cash first route, at least that seems to be the general consensus
BMSOBx2
3/24/2018 7:09pm
KMC440 wrote:

Eddie Van Halen discovered the synthesizer. Was all downhill from there.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
3/24/2018 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2018 7:26pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
100% agree. Music really moves me, much more so than a movie, it really blows when they go the cash first route, at least that seems...
100% agree. Music really moves me, much more so than a movie, it really blows when they go the cash first route, at least that seems to be the general consensus
Sometimes it can be who they get to work with them on the albums too...as far mixing it or producing it....influence.
It can change their sound.

This is interesting...kinda gives you a touch of insight.

https://youtu.be/lmFgeFh2nlw
71Fish
3/25/2018 9:23am
You need Iron Maiden in your life.
B DUB 333
3/25/2018 1:44pm
71Fish wrote:
You need Iron Maiden in your life.
Love maiden, very talented band too. They have stayed the path pretty well but.... number of the beast is better than the new album by a lot. Maybe not a lot, they are not the norm that's for sure. Ya know who's stayed the same the longest.... weird AL Woohoo
jarvinator
3/25/2018 4:08pm
Just a thought because really like early VH with DLR and I am a huge Hagar fan so I then did get into VH as 5150 was released. But of course not the same band.
The other night I fired up the turntable and cranked up DLR Skyscraper. Some DAM good tunes on this album.
Did you all get into that at all?
B DUB 333
3/25/2018 4:58pm
jarvinator wrote:
Just a thought because really like early VH with DLR and I am a huge Hagar fan so I then did get into VH as 5150...
Just a thought because really like early VH with DLR and I am a huge Hagar fan so I then did get into VH as 5150 was released. But of course not the same band.
The other night I fired up the turntable and cranked up DLR Skyscraper. Some DAM good tunes on this album.
Did you all get into that at all?
Yeah he had a couple winners, ice cream man, I wish they could all be from California, there was one or two others. The video for California girls is GREAT! Evil
Mr. G
3/25/2018 5:01pm
borg wrote:
Most bands just run out of material. Then because of the contract they pound out mediocre stuff. You write good stuff, you can be a mediocre...
This. Ask Billy Joel. He said after some years it just shut off.
B DUB 333
3/26/2018 6:17am
borg wrote:
Mr. G wrote:
I can't think of his wife's name right now but that's why he couldn't think.... #proofmoneyandfamegetyouhotchicks
Foghorn
3/26/2018 7:30am
B DUB 333 wrote:
I can't think of his wife's name right now but that's why he couldn't think.... #proofmoneyandfamegetyouhotchicks
Christie Brinkley
69_JMC_69
3/26/2018 11:15am
B DUB 333 wrote:
This must be the stupidest thing I've ever heard!!!!
Stuntman949
3/26/2018 11:28am
Telling people you're a Stone Temple Pilots fan is like saying your favorite color is rainbow. I personally loved everything but their last album. Their entire career had everything from soft jazz to in your face metal.

Same band, same members!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/26/2018 11:48am
You can either change and continue to create new, different tunes or you can rehash the same old shiz. Either way, someone's going to complain about it.
Asimo
3/26/2018 11:52am
borg wrote:
Mr. G wrote:
B DUB 333 wrote:
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/26/2018 12:17pm
This is a tough one. Sometimes they just stop writing good material and sometimes they change direction and people either love it or hate it.

A few examples: Deftones became my favorite band in high school when Adrenaline came out. Now their albums these days are waaay different but I still love them.

Then you have a band like Slayer. Interview some people and they'll say A) "same old shit, this band rehashes the same sound over and over" or Cool "Slayer stayed true to their sound, they rule!"
Squidward
3/26/2018 1:05pm
seth505 wrote:
This is a tough one. Sometimes they just stop writing good material and sometimes they change direction and people either love it or hate it. A...
This is a tough one. Sometimes they just stop writing good material and sometimes they change direction and people either love it or hate it.

A few examples: Deftones became my favorite band in high school when Adrenaline came out. Now their albums these days are waaay different but I still love them.

Then you have a band like Slayer. Interview some people and they'll say A) "same old shit, this band rehashes the same sound over and over" or Cool "Slayer stayed true to their sound, they rule!"
I love Street Carp. Only song I've heard from them I really really like though.
B DUB 333
3/26/2018 2:07pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
69_JMC_69 wrote:
This must be the stupidest thing I've ever heard!!!!
When you said you could beat Cole in race was FAR dumber.... Cole could whip you on a p-dub
B DUB 333
3/26/2018 2:09pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
Foghorn wrote:
Christie Brinkley
YES! Very easy on the eyes....
Asimo
3/26/2018 3:46pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
Foghorn wrote:
Christie Brinkley
B DUB 333 wrote:
YES! Very easy on the eyes....
Thats his Ex. The one that is half his age is above. They just had a kid.
B DUB 333
3/26/2018 4:09pm
Wow
I mean wow. Gotta love what money can buy ya
eeazye
3/26/2018 4:23pm
I remember listening to an interview with David Lee Roth or Dee Snyder on Stern years ago, can’t remember which. This very question was asked and his answer was that a lot of music comes from pain, angst, and struggles.

He said once a band has huge success and the financial windfall with it, that they lose the motivating force that created that in your face expression of what they were going through. His quote was “I’m living in a mansion with cars and boats and women, what the hell do I have to be pissed off about?”

Post a reply to: whats the dealio

The Latest