tattoo opinions

yzthumpa
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 8:11pm
Before you read further, just look at the picture and decide what your perception of this tattoo would be.

And I'm well aware of the fact that whether or not you put a certain tattoo on your body, it should not be guided by other people's opinions, cause if it is then it doesn't belong on your body. However, how people perceive it may play a factor in whether I put it on my forearm or my upper arm. As far as my wife is concerned, it's a tattoo of Lucifer so it is perceived as "Satanic," and both of her sets of parents (dad and stepmom, mom and stepdad) are devoutly religious - 3 of them Assembly of God fundamentalists and the other a Catholic. The irony is that the sculpture, "Le genie du mal," resides in St. Paul's Cathedral in Belgium since the mid 1800s. It depicts Lucifer as the fallen angel, with an obvious look of the greatest sense of loss, regret, or remorse. Note the symbolism of the crown, the apple, and the broken sceptre (with the star on the end, as Lucifer was known as The Morning Star).
I have one small tattoo on my left upper arm, a reaper with a checkered flag as the hood, that I got a few years ago at Hart & Huntington while on vacation in Orlando. I've been wanting to do something much larger, possibly a sleeve or half sleeve, and now that I'm on disability and don't have to worry about what my patients or anyone else in the job market thinks about it, I'm ready to do it.
Why choose this image?
- I'm a heavy metal child of the 80's and always loved the "dark" imagery that went along with it, such as Eddie from Iron Maiden and stuff like that, and this thing just plain looks badass.

- While I'm an atheist (and that doesn't make me a devil worshipper), I was raised Catholic and have made somewhat of a hobby of researching the controversial history of religion and god myths, and love religion-based classical literature like Milton's "Paradise Lost" or Dante's "Divine Comedy/Inferno."

- And most importantly, tattoos should mean something. I was at the peak of my dental career in my early to mid-40's, making decent money, enjoying life to the fullest via motocross, roadracing, etc., and now at 45 I'm on disability and can not do any of the stuff physically that made my life enjoyable. Don't get me wrong - I have a great wife and still have a 12 yr. old son at home and love my family life, but physically the things I can do with my son are very limited and I feel a great sense of loss - and this image captures the ultimate loss, or having it all and losing it.

So for all those reasons, I've put a lot of thought into what tattoo I want and waited a long time so I wouldn't rush out and do it on a whim. However, I also understand that my wife is my life partner and what I do reflects on her and her feelings as well, and I want to be considerate of her feelings - to some extent at least, because her feelings are mainly based on what her parents will think, and I won't be guided by their opinions (and they have no idea of my religious beliefs or disbeliefs). So I may take those factors into consideration on whether I put the tattoo in an area readily visible or in an area where I have to lift my sleeve for people to see it. However, I have been kind of reserving my upper arm for a larger, really elaborate Ozzy tattoo that I want as well so I'm leaning towards inner forearm for this one.

So I'm really just curious about how other people will perceive this tattoo. Since I won't bother explaining all of my reasons for getting it to 99% of the people who will see it, when the person on the street sees this thing on my arm, at first glance, how will they perceive it?
|
motogeezer
10/10/2011 9:47am
The person on the street won't know it's Lucifer unless you tell them.

As far as your religious relatives, as long as they understand that the image is a symbol of the fall of man and not something you worship, they shouldn't have a problem with it.
flarider
10/10/2011 10:03am
I would know it's Lucifer in a second
Would I care? No
Would it make me think you're a "Satan worshipper?" No. I would think it just had some symbolism to you

That said, I'm not a fan of ink
yzthumpa
10/10/2011 10:29am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2011 10:30am
flarider wrote:
I would know it's Lucifer in a second Would I care? No Would it make me think you're a "Satan worshipper?" No. I would think it...
Would I care? No
Would it make me think you're a "Satan worshipper?" No. I would think it just had some symbolism to you

Yeah, I think the look of the wings is a dead giveaway that it's Lucifer right away. I have mixed opinions on ink myself. My son moved out when turned 18 and was still in high school because he didn't want to live with rules. A week later he already had his first tattoo. He's up to 3 already a year later, and I think he's overdoing it just because he thinks it makes him a badass to get tattoos. On the flip side, I'm far from your typical tattoo guy. You don't see many pasty white suburban dentists start getting tattooed in their 40s. But you only live once, my life has changed dramatically in the past couple years, and it's just something I've been wanting to do. Even my son wants me to get it on my back or ribs or somewhere hidden, but I don't really see the point of getting it placed where no one will ever see it.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
10/10/2011 10:50am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2011 10:51am
Looks a little fruity dude, sorry.

I think you can find a better lucifer choice. jmo

The Shop

bullpen58
10/10/2011 11:03am
Killer statues, etc. do not always translate into killer tattoos. I suggest you find a good artist and talk to him about your ideas and see what he or she comes up with. They know what will look good in a TATTOO better than you or i.

I also suggest you go BIG. The bigger the better. Give the artist a HUGE canvas to work with and let them loose. You'll be happier with the outcome.

As far as the tattoo idea, who give a fuck what other people think? It's YOU and you have to live with it. Do what you want.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
10/10/2011 11:10am
bullpen58 wrote:
What apple?
"Fruity" as in I would pick something other than a half dressed dude with wings. But that is JMO, I agree with you that it shouldn't matter what other people think of it.
bullpen58
10/10/2011 11:14am
bullpen58 wrote:
What apple?
gsxrcr28 wrote:
"Fruity" as in I would pick something other than a half dressed dude with wings. But that is JMO, I agree with you that it shouldn't...
"Fruity" as in I would pick something other than a half dressed dude with wings. But that is JMO, I agree with you that it shouldn't matter what other people think of it.
hahaha. I kinda agree with you dude. I wouldn't want a nude dude with wings on me either.....especially with a hotter body than i have. LOL

I was asking the originator about the apple because he said there is one but i can't see it.

I saw this cool looking painting of a hot chick with battle armour half way off and all these battle wounds/scars that I thought was pretty badass. I would rather have that on me than a dude. JMO and to be honest, if the artist added some hot chicks around Lucifer that would be it less gay. As long as the art is good, it is all good in the neighborhood.
10/10/2011 11:51am
flarider wrote:
I would know it's Lucifer in a second Would I care? No Would it make me think you're a "Satan worshipper?" No. I would think it...
Would I care? No

yzthumpa wrote:
Yeah, I think the look of the wings is a dead giveaway that it's Lucifer right away. I have mixed opinions on ink myself. My son...
Yeah, I think the look of the wings is a dead giveaway that it's Lucifer right away. I have mixed opinions on ink myself. My son moved out when turned 18 and was still in high school because he didn't want to live with rules. A week later he already had his first tattoo. He's up to 3 already a year later, and I think he's overdoing it just because he thinks it makes him a badass to get tattoos. On the flip side, I'm far from your typical tattoo guy. You don't see many pasty white suburban dentists start getting tattooed in their 40s. But you only live once, my life has changed dramatically in the past couple years, and it's just something I've been wanting to do. Even my son wants me to get it on my back or ribs or somewhere hidden, but I don't really see the point of getting it placed where no one will ever see it.
maybe you have a midlife crisis, my second wife is 12 years younger than me Wink
yzthumpa
10/10/2011 12:02pm
bullpen58 wrote:
What apple?
Hard to see in the small pic I posted, but it's just below the chain, right above the sceptre at his feet.
10/10/2011 12:45pm
Wait, did you say you are definite on the Ozzy tattoo, but need to give the fallen angel tattoo more thought?
yzthumpa
10/10/2011 1:50pm
Wait, did you say you are definite on the Ozzy tattoo, but need to give the fallen angel tattoo more thought?
Yep, don't have any problem with the world knowing that I worship at the altar of the true Prince of Darkness, Ozzy - just don't want them to think I worship the poser Prince of Darkness, that Lucifer guy.
KMC440
10/10/2011 1:56pm
Ink can be a powerful reflection of the individual, or a period of time. Wonder how many 40+ women still dig their Garfield tat's.

That being said I see a crumbled wooden cross shadowed behind the statue for effect.
borg
10/10/2011 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2011 2:32pm
motogeezer wrote:
The person on the street won't know it's Lucifer unless you tell them. As far as your religious relatives, as long as they understand that the...
The person on the street won't know it's Lucifer unless you tell them.

As far as your religious relatives, as long as they understand that the image is a symbol of the fall of man and not something you worship, they shouldn't have a problem with it.
Quoted wrong post
borg
10/10/2011 2:32pm
yzthumpa wrote:
Before you read further, just look at the picture and decide what your perception of this tattoo would be. [img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/BowToRC/2-2.jpg[/img] And I'm well aware of the...
Before you read further, just look at the picture and decide what your perception of this tattoo would be.

And I'm well aware of the fact that whether or not you put a certain tattoo on your body, it should not be guided by other people's opinions, cause if it is then it doesn't belong on your body. However, how people perceive it may play a factor in whether I put it on my forearm or my upper arm. As far as my wife is concerned, it's a tattoo of Lucifer so it is perceived as "Satanic," and both of her sets of parents (dad and stepmom, mom and stepdad) are devoutly religious - 3 of them Assembly of God fundamentalists and the other a Catholic. The irony is that the sculpture, "Le genie du mal," resides in St. Paul's Cathedral in Belgium since the mid 1800s. It depicts Lucifer as the fallen angel, with an obvious look of the greatest sense of loss, regret, or remorse. Note the symbolism of the crown, the apple, and the broken sceptre (with the star on the end, as Lucifer was known as The Morning Star).
I have one small tattoo on my left upper arm, a reaper with a checkered flag as the hood, that I got a few years ago at Hart & Huntington while on vacation in Orlando. I've been wanting to do something much larger, possibly a sleeve or half sleeve, and now that I'm on disability and don't have to worry about what my patients or anyone else in the job market thinks about it, I'm ready to do it.
Why choose this image?
- I'm a heavy metal child of the 80's and always loved the "dark" imagery that went along with it, such as Eddie from Iron Maiden and stuff like that, and this thing just plain looks badass.

- While I'm an atheist (and that doesn't make me a devil worshipper), I was raised Catholic and have made somewhat of a hobby of researching the controversial history of religion and god myths, and love religion-based classical literature like Milton's "Paradise Lost" or Dante's "Divine Comedy/Inferno."

- And most importantly, tattoos should mean something. I was at the peak of my dental career in my early to mid-40's, making decent money, enjoying life to the fullest via motocross, roadracing, etc., and now at 45 I'm on disability and can not do any of the stuff physically that made my life enjoyable. Don't get me wrong - I have a great wife and still have a 12 yr. old son at home and love my family life, but physically the things I can do with my son are very limited and I feel a great sense of loss - and this image captures the ultimate loss, or having it all and losing it.

So for all those reasons, I've put a lot of thought into what tattoo I want and waited a long time so I wouldn't rush out and do it on a whim. However, I also understand that my wife is my life partner and what I do reflects on her and her feelings as well, and I want to be considerate of her feelings - to some extent at least, because her feelings are mainly based on what her parents will think, and I won't be guided by their opinions (and they have no idea of my religious beliefs or disbeliefs). So I may take those factors into consideration on whether I put the tattoo in an area readily visible or in an area where I have to lift my sleeve for people to see it. However, I have been kind of reserving my upper arm for a larger, really elaborate Ozzy tattoo that I want as well so I'm leaning towards inner forearm for this one.

So I'm really just curious about how other people will perceive this tattoo. Since I won't bother explaining all of my reasons for getting it to 99% of the people who will see it, when the person on the street sees this thing on my arm, at first glance, how will they perceive it?
Why do you care how strangers perceive it?
10/10/2011 2:54pm
Get Paul Booth to do it. You might have to wait a while and travel to NY, but he rules and he could give it that dark feel. And he has tatted all of our idols. If I ever get ink, it will be by him.

This is my favorite tat from Paul. The dude is Evan Seinfeld from Biohazard, you can see this tat in "action" in any Tera Patrick film. Those horns go in some nice places.
bsm121
10/10/2011 3:14pm
Personally, I don't care about people's tattoos or why they got them, but are you sure you are sending your child the right message? I do not know why or how you got on disability. Whatever the reason is, I am sorry to hear it. Getting this tattoo to represent your loss seems like it sends the message to your child that you have given up and that your life is less meaningful because you cannot fully participate in the things you used to do. Again, I do not know where you are coming from, but it sounds as if this decision is being made as a result of some form of depression regarding your current state. Just my opinion, but I think a better message could be sent by getting a tattoo that represents the good that still exists in your life.
Frogman
10/10/2011 3:30pm
bsm121 wrote:
Personally, I don't care about people's tattoos or why they got them, but are you sure you are sending your child the right message? I do...
Personally, I don't care about people's tattoos or why they got them, but are you sure you are sending your child the right message? I do not know why or how you got on disability. Whatever the reason is, I am sorry to hear it. Getting this tattoo to represent your loss seems like it sends the message to your child that you have given up and that your life is less meaningful because you cannot fully participate in the things you used to do. Again, I do not know where you are coming from, but it sounds as if this decision is being made as a result of some form of depression regarding your current state. Just my opinion, but I think a better message could be sent by getting a tattoo that represents the good that still exists in your life.
Further on this line of thinking...put the tattoo money in a savings bond for the kid's college. Print out the satan picture, put it in a cheap frame, and hang it on the wall until you are either bored with it or its meaning...then toss it.
10/10/2011 5:40pm
yzthumpa wrote:
Yep, don't have any problem with the world knowing that I worship at the altar of the true Prince of Darkness, Ozzy - just don't want...
Yep, don't have any problem with the world knowing that I worship at the altar of the true Prince of Darkness, Ozzy - just don't want them to think I worship the poser Prince of Darkness, that Lucifer guy.
Right on. Get what makes you happy. I really think the only people that would see that fallen Lucifer tattoo and think it means you are into Satan or something along those lines are the same people that would see an Ozzy tattoo and think you are into Satan. You know, the album burning, concert protesting crazies that you probably could care less about what they perceive. Plenty of people have tattoos of devils, demons, etc. and I don't know anyone rational who sees that and thinks it's anything other than cool art. You've already put more thought into it than most. Keep working on the wife. Maybe you'll at least get an "I don't care" before you go under the needle.
TerryK
10/10/2011 5:46pm
You said it yourself, the most important thing is that it must mean something and I agree 100%. If it means enough to you to make the commitment of a tattoo, then the people around you should respect that.
72kiteboarder
10/10/2011 6:13pm
First thing I thought was:

Kinda gay. But after looking closer, it is a beautiful sculpture and would probably translate well into a tattoo.

My rule for tattoos is get it for you and to hell with other peoples opinions.
pitbike502
10/10/2011 8:39pm
Too much reading for my current state of being Wink But I can say, as much as you research biblical studies vs whatever, you should research your artist. I normally ALWAYS travel for my work, and I am prpud to say I have killer work, the kind someone in the grocery line taps your shoulder and says "wow". Paul Booth was mentioned earlier, he's an excellent artist. Guess I'm kinda spoiled because I'm so close to tons of great artists. Also, check out Bob (can't remember his last name, like I said, drinking..) the artist who worked on kid rock (most notably ) his work is SICK for your statue piece. Check out his HR Gieger pieces, phenomenal
rocrac
11/22/2011 3:54am
That would make a great tattoo with right artist.. Tats are personal who gives a shit what others think.
bsm121
11/22/2011 5:37am
rocrac wrote:
That would make a great tattoo with right artist.. Tats are personal who gives a shit what others think.
uhh...look up.
yzthumpa
11/22/2011 6:00am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2011 6:02am
rocrac wrote:
bsm121 wrote:
uhh...look up.
LOL, yeah, that's the real deal. That's not the best pic - it was taken left handed with an iPad and I had to press the shutter button with my nose. The angle is bad so it makes the legs look shorter. We actually cropped the bottom a bit to make it larger. The guy said going too small, in a few years the ink would bleed and the facial detail would be a blur. I did a lot of searching, went to a shop that had two artists whose porfolios I liked online. One guy was too booked, the other was no longer there. Two other artists didn't want to do it. So they asked the "new guy." I checked out his work, and after talking to him, this was right up his alley. He far exceeded my expectations. He does a lot of original work that has a VERY unique style.I had another tattoo I wanted to do (an Ozzy portrait), and after seeing what he does, I scrapped that idea and I'm working with him on designing a real original piece for the other forearm. Basically I stumbled upon this guy, and after talking to him for 5 minutes there's no one else I'd want to ink me.

Post a reply to: tattoo opinions

The Latest