no post about the gorilla?

hillbilly
Edited Date/Time 6/5/2016 7:47am
Strange.

Quiet the uproar about it.
|
6/1/2016 10:04am
The mother was negligent and should be forced to pay for the cost of the gorilla and any investigation that takes place. Gorilla was actually real cool about it all and protecting the child until all the heathens started yelling, thus scaring the gorilla and causing it to drag the child. The zoo didn't want a lawsuit of any kind so they took lethal action. The mother is actually the directer of a children's daycare believe it or not.
huck
6/1/2016 10:06am
The mother was negligent and should be forced to pay for the cost of the gorilla and any investigation that takes place. Gorilla was actually real...
The mother was negligent and should be forced to pay for the cost of the gorilla and any investigation that takes place. Gorilla was actually real cool about it all and protecting the child until all the heathens started yelling, thus scaring the gorilla and causing it to drag the child. The zoo didn't want a lawsuit of any kind so they took lethal action. The mother is actually the directer of a children's daycare believe it or not.
You obviously don't have kids....
6/1/2016 10:11am
I don't but if I did I wouldn't allow them to fall 20 feet inside a gorilla cage. Not a single incident in 20 years and all of a sudden we have this woman. You can't fix stupid. Negligence and the tax payer suffers.
huck
6/1/2016 10:19am
I don't but if I did I wouldn't allow them to fall 20 feet inside a gorilla cage. Not a single incident in 20 years and...
I don't but if I did I wouldn't allow them to fall 20 feet inside a gorilla cage. Not a single incident in 20 years and all of a sudden we have this woman. You can't fix stupid. Negligence and the tax payer suffers.
You're wrong. All it takes is 5 seconds and that can easily happen with a young child.

The Shop

6/1/2016 10:24am
So the hundred thousand guests over the previous 20 years all just got lucky? Would you not watch your child more closely than normal in this situation? You are getting too old and emotional. The logical response is the woman was negligent and should pay. Don't let feelings get in the way of the right answer.
motosmith
6/1/2016 10:26am
The mother was negligent and should be forced to pay for the cost of the gorilla and any investigation that takes place. Gorilla was actually real...
huck wrote:
I have a 3.5 year old daughter and she's a wild Indian. They can get away from you quick.

Its crazy they don't have video footage of the whole thing. The Mini-Mart down the street has high definition video surveillance but the zoo didn't think to install cameras at the man eating gorilla exhibit?
JRT812
6/1/2016 10:28am
What I can't figure out is how was there even a possibility for someone to enter the area? There were multiple barriers from my understanding, but you would think it would be 110% blocked off from the public being able to enter.
huck
6/1/2016 10:29am
So the hundred thousand guests over the previous 20 years all just got lucky? Would you not watch your child more closely than normal in this...
So the hundred thousand guests over the previous 20 years all just got lucky? Would you not watch your child more closely than normal in this situation? You are getting too old and emotional. The logical response is the woman was negligent and should pay. Don't let feelings get in the way of the right answer.
I'm not getting old or emotional... You are the one getting emotional.

The right answer is it was an unfortunate accident and the right thing happened...the gorilla was put down.
huck
6/1/2016 10:30am
huck wrote:
motosmith wrote:
I have a 3.5 year old daughter and she's a wild Indian. They can get away from you quick. Its crazy they don't have video footage...
I have a 3.5 year old daughter and she's a wild Indian. They can get away from you quick.

Its crazy they don't have video footage of the whole thing. The Mini-Mart down the street has high definition video surveillance but the zoo didn't think to install cameras at the man eating gorilla exhibit?
No kidding. You can't enter a mini-storage building without being seen on 15 cameras...but you can jump in with a gorilla and nobody notices??
motosmith
6/1/2016 10:38am
JRT812 wrote:
What I can't figure out is how was there even a possibility for someone to enter the area? There were multiple barriers from my understanding, but...
What I can't figure out is how was there even a possibility for someone to enter the area? There were multiple barriers from my understanding, but you would think it would be 110% blocked off from the public being able to enter.
I was at the Portland Zoo a couple weeks ago. There was a 4 foot metal fence separating the public from a Grizzly Bear.

The fence was at the top of a 25 foot wall so there was no chance the bear could get out. It would be pretty easy to get in if you really wanted to though.
6/1/2016 10:38am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2016 10:39am
So the hundred thousand guests over the previous 20 years all just got lucky? Would you not watch your child more closely than normal in this...
huck wrote:
I'm not getting old or emotional... You are the one getting emotional. The right answer is it was an unfortunate accident and the right thing happened...the...

The right answer is it was an unfortunate accident and the right thing happened...the gorilla was put down.
I could have worded that better. Don't think of it as You and Your child, that's where the emotion comes in and can cloud judgment. I am all for self accountability and yes it was an unfortunate accident. She made a mistake and people should pay for mistakes, not pass it on to everyone else.

edit: should note i'm not a tree hugger and don't even bring the death of the gorilla into my thoughts. Just self accountability.
6/1/2016 11:32am
I haven't heard anyone explain how it was even possible for the kid to get in the enclosure? An adult I would have no sympathy and say let the gorilla have lunch, it should be impossible for a kid to get in that position
6/1/2016 11:43am
I think we can all see both sides. On one hand it really does only take a slight lapse in concentration from a parent for something like this to happen, it really does. On the other it is bloody awful to see such a beautiful and intelligent animal destroyed, especially given the likelihood of it only having good intentions. But of course we can't know that, or what'll happen even if the intentions are good.

A similar incident happened in Jersey in 1986 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CMxMv34_A A better outcome on that day.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
6/1/2016 12:22pm
Some good came out of it

GIwasB4
6/1/2016 12:28pm
I thought it was too political for this place?

peelout
6/1/2016 12:50pm
JRT812 wrote:
What I can't figure out is how was there even a possibility for someone to enter the area? There were multiple barriers from my understanding, but...
motosmith wrote:
I was at the Portland Zoo a couple weeks ago. There was a 4 foot metal fence separating the public from a Grizzly Bear. The fence...
I was at the Portland Zoo a couple weeks ago. There was a 4 foot metal fence separating the public from a Grizzly Bear.

The fence was at the top of a 25 foot wall so there was no chance the bear could get out. It would be pretty easy to get in if you really wanted to though.
ah yes, the 4' fence of natural selection lol
6/1/2016 1:19pm
JRT812 wrote:
That is exactly what I was thinking. That zoo has some splainin' to do.

Beyond that, I thought the zoo officials made it very clear. They shot the gorilla because they were not sure how it would react if tranquilized. I'm 100% certain they did not want to shoot that gorilla. My guess is that they were thinking, "If we don't shoot this ape, and it rips this kid into five pieces, we're going to be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail."

From my perspective, they were "Damned if we do, damned if we don't."
hillbilly
6/1/2016 1:35pm
I know my kids would never ,no way in hell,get away from me. They never did because I watched them like a hawk.

But, like the other day at the grocery I'm walking out and a little boy is out in the traffic lanes wandering,he was 4ish,no parent. Looking around I see this teenage looking girl bent over in her car,probably used to being bent over, I figure she is looking for a lighter. I was right,gets lit up and then sees the kid,starts cussing and yelling.

That is who's kid gets in the gorilla cage.

IWreckALot
6/1/2016 2:05pm
hillbilly wrote:
I know my kids would never ,no way in hell,get away from me. They never did because I watched them like a hawk. But, like the...
I know my kids would never ,no way in hell,get away from me. They never did because I watched them like a hawk.

But, like the other day at the grocery I'm walking out and a little boy is out in the traffic lanes wandering,he was 4ish,no parent. Looking around I see this teenage looking girl bent over in her car,probably used to being bent over, I figure she is looking for a lighter. I was right,gets lit up and then sees the kid,starts cussing and yelling.

That is who's kid gets in the gorilla cage.

It always amazes me how little attention parents seem to pay attention to their kids.

I'm indifferent on the parents and zoo on this one. Just glad the little boy escaped relatively unharmed but bummed about the gorilla.

I agree that the kid shouldn't have been able to get into the gorilla pit. I'd like to know how that happened before casting stones. If the kid climbed over a couple of barriers, shame on mom for not looking his way for that amount of time. Maybe they need to have two fences. First one is a regular fence barrier and second one is an electric fence. Kid getting a quick zap is WAY better than a dead kid or gorilla.
FolkLoar
6/1/2016 2:16pm
If that were my kid in there, somebody better shoot that gorilla. I don't care how the kid got in.

I would certainly have a few choice words for momma when she got home for letting it happen, but my kids or the ape? Get your guns or I'm getting mine..

JPT
6/1/2016 2:37pm
huck wrote:
I'm not getting old or emotional... You are the one getting emotional. The right answer is it was an unfortunate accident and the right thing happened...the...

Damn huck, how often has it happened that you and I agree completely on something?
newmann
6/1/2016 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2016 2:45pm
Attention whoring for the most part. People don't care about the gorilla anymore than they care about the 200 lions that will be killed for no benefit to the country since Cecil got popped. Oh look, a Kardashian just went to the restroom and dropped a steaming Kanye...

https://www.rt.com/news/333410-lions-hunters-africa-kill/

"The largest wildlife reserve in Zimbabwe said it may be forced to cull 200 of its lions after the predator’s population “exploded” due to hunters being scared off by international outrage over the killing of Cecil the lion last year.

Bubye Valley Conservancy, which is home to more lions than anywhere else in the south African country, said that the population of over 500 was too much for the reserve, the National Post reports.

The big cats have been decimating the population of antelopes and giraffes, and even wild dogs, cheetahs, and leopards, which have become easy prey after a dry summer left the grass short."
Titan1
6/1/2016 3:32pm
The parent was at fault for not watching their kid (even though it could happen to anyone-yes anyone-and it was an accident)...the zoo is at fault for having an enclosure that a kid could even get it.

Neither of those change the reality that a kid was in the enclosure with a gorilla...and given that reality, the zoo reacted properly.

Let's not forget that it was an animal that was killed, it wasn't a human...an animal. Humans are far more important than animals, always have been always will be.
Jimmy_Sloan
6/1/2016 5:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2016 7:51pm
As Huck said, all it takes is a few seconds and anything can happen. You haven't raised children and you have no clue, so it's easy for you to point a finger and say what you're saying. But to then say that the "logical" response is that the woman is negligent and should pay is misguided. You, like most of us, don't know all the facts that happened and so the "logical" response is to wait until further facts come to light and an investigation is done before making a judgement. The mother had other children she was watching, and from eyewitness accounts it happened very fast so being negligent in this case depends upon further investigation and it certainly does not come down to your say so on the matter, nor any other social justice warrior who thinks they know more than they do.
Jimmy_Sloan
6/1/2016 5:30pm
That is exactly what I was thinking. That zoo has some splainin' to do. Beyond that, I thought the zoo officials made it very clear. They...
That is exactly what I was thinking. That zoo has some splainin' to do.

Beyond that, I thought the zoo officials made it very clear. They shot the gorilla because they were not sure how it would react if tranquilized. I'm 100% certain they did not want to shoot that gorilla. My guess is that they were thinking, "If we don't shoot this ape, and it rips this kid into five pieces, we're going to be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail."

From my perspective, they were "Damned if we do, damned if we don't."
They shot the gorilla because it was the best choice to make. They did not know how, in an agitated state, it would react to being tranquilized, and it also could have fallen on the child and drown him in the water.

Gorilla experts have said that the way the the gorilla was posturing the boy in front of him was a sign of aggression, that boy's life was in imminent danger.
jib-tmb
6/1/2016 5:51pm
While it's unfortunate the gorilla was shot, I agree with the zoo's decision to put the gorilla down. I would never risk my child's or anyone's child in a situation like that. No one knew what that gorilla was going to do.

Was the mother negligent? I don't know. I'm not making excuses for her but I read that she also had other children she was watching. I read where the child had told her more than once he wanted to get in with the gorilla. He finally slipped away and jumped in. Children can slip away when the parents get distracted.

My issue is with the zoo for the fact that he was able to get in as easy as he did. That enclosure should have had the proper barricades in place so there was no way anybody other than zoo personal could enter that enclosure by accident or on purpose.
6/1/2016 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2016 6:50pm
huck wrote:
motosmith wrote:
I have a 3.5 year old daughter and she's a wild Indian. They can get away from you quick. Its crazy they don't have video footage...

Ever see kids on leashes at Disney world ? I always thought the parents were nuts. Now....I think, hmm. that's probably not a bad idea. Good on leashigg your kids.

Man...eating gorilla. So that's why it didn't eat the child. Probably was gonna wait until he grew up to the ripe age of 18.

Id imagine that gorilla was confused as all hell. Didn't know what to do. He stood the kid up. Looked around. Drug him theough the water. But what do parent apes do ? Probably that same thing. They drag their young everywhere. so who knows. Tradgedy on both sides really. It's an unfortunate "accident" hard to place blame on either side. Shit happens.
6/1/2016 7:21pm
I thought it was interesting that in the video you can see the gorilla pulling the kids pants up, guess he didn't like him "bustin' a sag".
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
6/1/2016 10:09pm
newmann wrote:
Attention whoring for the most part. People don't care about the gorilla anymore than they care about the 200 lions that will be killed for no...
Attention whoring for the most part. People don't care about the gorilla anymore than they care about the 200 lions that will be killed for no benefit to the country since Cecil got popped. Oh look, a Kardashian just went to the restroom and dropped a steaming Kanye...

https://www.rt.com/news/333410-lions-hunters-africa-kill/

"The largest wildlife reserve in Zimbabwe said it may be forced to cull 200 of its lions after the predator’s population “exploded” due to hunters being scared off by international outrage over the killing of Cecil the lion last year.

Bubye Valley Conservancy, which is home to more lions than anywhere else in the south African country, said that the population of over 500 was too much for the reserve, the National Post reports.

The big cats have been decimating the population of antelopes and giraffes, and even wild dogs, cheetahs, and leopards, which have become easy prey after a dry summer left the grass short."
"dropping a Kanye" love that newmann.

"sending a fax to Obama"

"dropping the cosby kids at the pool"

Writing a letter to nixon......

on and on

But i do like that dropping that Kanye

Post a reply to: no post about the gorilla?

The Latest