moto x step up physics problem help

duckonquack
6/3/2016 6:19am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2016 9:04pm
So I have to do a physics problem that applies to real life so i chose ronnie renners gold medal run from 2012. I have to find his acceleration and for that I need the distance between where he starts and where he leaves the jump. Does anyone have any idea how bigs that distance is? I have searched the internet and can not find anything about it. I would imagine it is like 20 feet but im not solid on that. I know this is a weird question but this is a last resort for me so if anyone has any idea please post it!
|
TailSoHard
6/3/2016 6:24am
So I have to do a physics problem that applies to real life so i chose ronnie renners gold medal run from 2012. I have to...
So I have to do a physics problem that applies to real life so i chose ronnie renners gold medal run from 2012. I have to find his acceleration and for that I need the distance between where he starts and where he leaves the jump. Does anyone have any idea how bigs that distance is? I have searched the internet and can not find anything about it. I would imagine it is like 20 feet but im not solid on that. I know this is a weird question but this is a last resort for me so if anyone has any idea please post it!
If you can't find the answer on the internet, just make something up. Your professor won't know if you're right or wrong, so long as the math works out in the end. That's what I'd do lol
6/3/2016 6:51am
Ask your professor if compressing the shock and releasing it while jumping increases height and/or distance or not. That would settle a REALLY big debate.
JW381
6/3/2016 8:04am
Ask your professor if compressing the shock and releasing it while jumping increases height and/or distance or not. That would settle a REALLY big debate.
Hahahaha

I believe it's 25 feet? It used to be 35 the first step up event, then they set a standard takeoff length of 25. Could be wrong, like someone else said, just make it up and do the math correctly.
Andrew337
6/3/2016 9:31am
TailSoHard wrote:
If you can't find the answer on the internet, just make something up. Your professor won't know if you're right or wrong, so long as the...
If you can't find the answer on the internet, just make something up. Your professor won't know if you're right or wrong, so long as the math works out in the end. That's what I'd do lol
That's what I would do, there's nothing wrong with making an assumption like this in order to clearly define the problem. Just state that the exact distance isn't readily available, so we will assume a distance of X units. Prof just wants to see your math and that you convey a clear understanding of the subject.

The Shop

6/3/2016 9:14pm
There's gotta be a rule book for X games events available to read. It would have to be stated in that.

Ye olde "distance = rate X time "formula?
JM485
6/3/2016 9:36pm
There's gotta be a rule book for X games events available to read. It would have to be stated in that. Ye olde "distance = rate...
There's gotta be a rule book for X games events available to read. It would have to be stated in that.

Ye olde "distance = rate X time "formula?
I would guess more along the lines of Vfinal^2 = Vinitial^2 + 2*a*D

I'm assuming you're trying to figure out how fast he would have to accelerate up to the lip in order to reach his takeoff speed of Vinitial that corresponds to his height D? Then you should be able to just set Vfinal equal to 0 and plug in a = -32.2 ft/s^2. I'm willing to guess that the run-up is probably about 20-30 feet maybe, and then you'd just have to factor in the arc length of the jump itself. I think you're alright just making an educated guess, I doubt it's going to be absolutely critical that you get the distance exactly right, especially if you aren't considering how far forward he jumps or what his exact takeoff angle is.

Go easy on me if this is off a little, it's been a couple years since I did a problem like this last.Laughing
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
6/5/2016 7:31pm
That's a frighteningly difficult question to answer, if you are going to do it completely accurately.

Remember the jump ramp angles upward to nearly 90 degrees vertical from the horizontal. The motorcycle will accelerate at a certain rate until it begins climbing the ramp. At that point bike and rider will experience an increasing reduction in acceleration until it reaches -9.8m/s^2 at perfectly vertical.
Also, in reality the acceleration of the motorcycle on flat ground itself would not be linear, thanks to the torque curve of the engine.

Hopefully you can provide a simpler "net acceleration" solution to the prof. and you'll be fine. (Or do all the math and blow everyone's mind!!!!)
6/5/2016 9:04pm

Stopped in to duckonquacks class. He's hard at work as you can see:

Post a reply to: moto x step up physics problem help

The Latest