is a bigger tractor bucket better?

crockett
Edited Date/Time 5/12/2022 7:50am
ill be putting in an order for a kioti cx2510 next week. i really like the size of this tractor for my property.
currently on 3.5 acres so the tractor is great for the maintenance work.
I have a 1.5 acres open field where i want to build and maintain a 110cc style track.
the tractor loader comes with a 50" bucket, and compared to the tractor i grew up with that is quite narrow.
i can order a 66" bucket and dealer will replace it for as cheap a price he can.
soo. is it going to be a good idea to go that much bigger? 60" would be perfect, but right now isn't an option
i like the idea of the bucket sticking past the tires for back grading. but digging power will suffer..
any thoughts?
|
SEEMEFIRST
3/25/2021 3:53pm
I've got a 35 horse Mahindra, and it's a bigger tractor than you have, I believe, and you can't dig at all.
It works fine if you have a pile of dirt to move, but it isn't going to dig any holes.

And my place is sugar sand.
XXVoid MainXX
3/25/2021 3:54pm
It's not the size, it's how you use it. At least that's what I've heard.
3/25/2021 6:21pm
Is your land flat? What kinda soil?

I’m with seemefirst, I had a 38HP Kubota and you aren’t gonna dig with the bucket in clay based soil, not enough power. Better off renting a tracked skid steer with a tooth bucket or a dozer to build what you want then maintain it with the smaller tractor.

The Shop

SEEMEFIRST
3/25/2021 6:28pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
Is your land flat? What kinda soil? I’m with seemefirst, I had a 38HP Kubota and you aren’t gonna dig with the bucket in clay based...
Is your land flat? What kinda soil?

I’m with seemefirst, I had a 38HP Kubota and you aren’t gonna dig with the bucket in clay based soil, not enough power. Better off renting a tracked skid steer with a tooth bucket or a dozer to build what you want then maintain it with the smaller tractor.
Big old beef knows what was talking about.

Stick the bucket, and either putz out or spin the wheels.

ns503
3/26/2021 3:22am
That's not a very big tractor to do any amount of earth moving with. You might move some piles of dirt around a little. But actually digging up the ground? Tediousness. The bigger the bucket the worse it would be. And the lighter your back end will be when you do actually get some dirt in it.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
3/26/2021 3:59am
50 inch is a great size for 110 track.
SEE ARE125
3/26/2021 5:21am
Like mentioned above, the digging of the dirt is the hangup. A lot of compact and subcompact tractors just don’t have the weight to force the bucket into the ground. It’s easy to see when you go to dig and the front of the tractor comes off the ground as opposed to the bucket going into the ground. A larger bucket would just compound this issue by distributing what weight you do have over a larger area. This can be somewhat offset by getting a tooth bucket, but really they just need more weight. Does it have a quick attach setup? If so(and it’s within budget), I’d get the standard sized bucket with teeth for digging, then a larger smooth bucket for back dragging and dressing.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
3/26/2021 6:59am
Get the bucket that is the same width as what ever implement you will have on it at the same time. Example, if you have a 60" mower deck, don't put on a bucket bigger than 60". 60" tiller is another example.
The most helpful and important thing you can do is to get a wear guard attached to the bucket. Without one, you will be buying another bucket down the road. A wear guard will help you dig and scoop better as well.
JustMX
3/26/2021 9:10pm
You could buy a tooth bar.

2 bolts to put it on, so a lot cheaper than a second bucket.

Makes it easier to reface jumps, and you can do some light digging without spinning all the time.

If you are,wanting to change or add jumps, you would be better off renting something that can really dig. I don't care what the dealer tells you, the loaders on the small tractors are just not designed for a lot of punishment. They will flex and crack, and the cylinders will need constant attention.

As far as bucket width, I would stick with something that is close the the width of the machine.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
3/27/2021 8:00am
I need a tracktor and decided to look at auctions and wouldn't you know it the big one here in Florida was THAT DAY!! The Ritchie Brothers once a year and I look on the day. Horrible timing. I didn't have time to sign up and two of my dream tracktors went at less than half value and the auctioneer made the only comments on those being the best deals in awhile. A friend has a huge excavator near me and I'm going to have him extend my existing pond and dig a new pond on the 20 I just purchased next door and then use my tracktor to move the dirt. The price of building supplies has me paused on the purchase at the moment as I'm figuring my renewed budget but I need to pull a brushhog for 38 acres. I just had it mowed for $20 an acre and he made quick work with a huge batwing deck.
I have been looking at these...
crockett
3/28/2021 1:53pm
all great points, it seems i can get a 60" bucket through the dealer, instead of 66" . the guy just had a smoking deal on the 66" because a customer actually downsized on a bucket for tractor he bought.
ck2510 comes with a 50" the tractor is 49 " wide.
the mower i will be getting is a 3pt 60" , not interested in a mid mount.
so I'm thinking 60" is the way to go.
i dont plan to dig out all my dirt for the track. i will be bringing in lots of fill for my yard, as thats one of the main purposes of buying the tractor. the 2 acres i finish mow was never levelled correctly previously. and I'm bumping all over the place and grinding out mower blades.
need to resurface my gravel drive way. box blade.
level the yard,
build and maintain a track.
and do all the other useful things tractors are great for. general clean up.

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
3/28/2021 4:49pm
I'll be honest with you, the belly mowers are awesome. If I'm in thicker grass type stuff that a brush hog doesn't do a great job on, I sometimes run the 60" belly mower and the 60" 3 point brush hog at the same time. I have 180 acres that I sometimes just brush hog here and there in places, every other year to keep it from growing up but the belly mower is handy as can be. A must for me. I try not to but it also has a tendency to level some ground lol.
crockett
3/28/2021 8:52pm
I'll be honest with you, the belly mowers are awesome. If I'm in thicker grass type stuff that a brush hog doesn't do a great job...
I'll be honest with you, the belly mowers are awesome. If I'm in thicker grass type stuff that a brush hog doesn't do a great job on, I sometimes run the 60" belly mower and the 60" 3 point brush hog at the same time. I have 180 acres that I sometimes just brush hog here and there in places, every other year to keep it from growing up but the belly mower is handy as can be. A must for me. I try not to but it also has a tendency to level some ground lol.
what makes a belly mower more valuable to you than a 3 pt?
i want to be able to cut tight under trees.
have never used a belly mower on anything other than a ride on.
i like the ability to quickly raise the rear deck. not sure how manuaverable a belly mower is with lifting and lowering.
OldPro277
3/29/2021 7:45am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2021 7:50am
Both mower types have their advantages . Best "lawn" cut I ever had was from a LandPride 60" tow behind (3 point) It cut equally as well forwards and backwards, and you could back it in under branches. However, my wife would never use it because it was too long and cumbersome, so it was belly mower or nothing for her.

And JustMX is correct about a tooth bar. I put a Piranha bar on my 29 HP Kubota with a 50" front loader and it dug reasonably well. We were even able to dig a 5 ' deep hole for a pot-bellied pig's grave. RIP Piggy... Don't get me wrong, its not Backhoe or Excavator capable , but it can certainly dig a bit.
Tracktor
5/9/2022 1:46pm
If you aren't ripping before digging no matter what size tractor/loader you are using you aren't doing it right.............I have a 30 horse Branson I got cheap plus a skiddy & a Case 450 dozer and both the skiddy & tractor can dig no problem. You just rip the area first. It also makes the soil you are moving more workable...........

Post a reply to: is a bigger tractor bucket better?

The Latest