instead of sheetrock?

Mx746
8/5/2018 8:09am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2018 3:28am
The problem. Teenage autistic son, loves to destroy sheetrock. He makes a small hole, then keeps digging at it until basketball sized chunks are missing. Several rooms are completely destroyed. ( must be a sensory thing the way it crumbles) Im not going to replace several rooms of sheetrock just to have it happen again while Im mowing the lawn. Im looking for ideas for a durable wall covering thats not quite as much of an eye sore as that 70's paneling.
|
MR. X
8/5/2018 8:20am
In high school ,there was a section of hallway that guys would punch holes in , they fixed the drywall and this time put plywood up first , you couldn't kick or punch a hole in it anymore.
borg
8/5/2018 9:04am
Old fashioned lath and plaster. Would cost you a fortune though. He might figure out a way through it too.
SEE ARE125
8/5/2018 9:21am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 9:22am
Have you considered buying him his own piece of sheetrock and let him play with it outside on the porch or something? I have a 4 yr old with autism and I’ve had good luck buying him his own stuff and redirecting him to play with it in a controlled environment that’s non-destructive. It’s just a thought, but I know that what works for one autistic child won’t work for the next. There are some really decent looking panelings out there now, you could try that or maybe some shiplap?
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
8/5/2018 10:05am
Not sure how much time or money you want to spend.

We do a lot of wainscoting on our remodels and now a popular look is to run the paneling floor to ceiling. There are panels in the big box stores that are only a 1/4” thick, that may not be a option for you as it is not much stronger than Sheetrock. We use a product that is 1/2” thick by 5” wide. Comes primed and ready to paint. It goes up really easy with adhesive and minimal nailing. Would not only solve the hole
problem but would add a beautiful
look to your home. I will get a pic for you later and post it on here. Can be done with minimal carpentry skills

The Shop

reded
8/5/2018 10:07am
Tin for the win!
Mx746
8/5/2018 11:07am
KennyT wrote:
Not sure how much time or money you want to spend. We do a lot of wainscoting on our remodels and now a popular look is...
Not sure how much time or money you want to spend.

We do a lot of wainscoting on our remodels and now a popular look is to run the paneling floor to ceiling. There are panels in the big box stores that are only a 1/4” thick, that may not be a option for you as it is not much stronger than Sheetrock. We use a product that is 1/2” thick by 5” wide. Comes primed and ready to paint. It goes up really easy with adhesive and minimal nailing. Would not only solve the hole
problem but would add a beautiful
look to your home. I will get a pic for you later and post it on here. Can be done with minimal carpentry skills
Interesting, that sounds like a good option. (I told my wife I’m almost ready to just nail up plywood in his room. That didn’t pass inspection)
Mx746
8/5/2018 11:14am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Have you considered buying him his own piece of sheetrock and let him play with it outside on the porch or something? I have a 4...
Have you considered buying him his own piece of sheetrock and let him play with it outside on the porch or something? I have a 4 yr old with autism and I’ve had good luck buying him his own stuff and redirecting him to play with it in a controlled environment that’s non-destructive. It’s just a thought, but I know that what works for one autistic child won’t work for the next. There are some really decent looking panelings out there now, you could try that or maybe some shiplap?
Funny , we did exactly that. I had several sheets out on the lower deck, he had a ball with them, but they were dust in a few hours. We constantly talk to him about destroying the walls, offer consequences etc it’s to high value of a stim I think. Tried redirecting to other activities etc. He used to ride bmx, but has given up on it. Destroying things was a greater thrill probably? I need to get him on a demolition crew.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
8/5/2018 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 12:23pm

This is in our house, we have done floor to ceiling with customers.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
8/5/2018 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 12:27pm

This is another option. My wife wanted a rustic farmhouse type powder room so she did these walls. These are actually fence boards, sanded-primed-painted. Gaps are left intentionally. Very inexpensive and just paint touch up if your child damages it in any way. It’s 3/4” wood so at least there won’t be any holes
SEEMEFIRST
8/5/2018 12:48pm
I like Kenny's ideas.
The first thing I thought of was MDF. Smooth as sheetrock, and he's not going through it very easily.
Probably have to use trim on the joints, but that isn't bad. You could texture it like sheetrock too.

Just another option to consider.
plowboy
8/5/2018 1:59pm
The cheapest option is the dreaded trailer house paneling...but paint it whatever color you want. At this point, with your son, no need going expensive. The wife and I didn't think we could have kids for the first 5 years of marriage. So I went in hock up to my ass for expensive furniture to try and console her. She got diagnosed with thyroid problems...got medicated and BOOM...3 stairstep kids. They wasted that furniture. Eventually they grew up and left home. I bought more high dollar furniture to fend off her empty nest crap. You guessed it...they all moved back plus some and again my furniture is trash. It's a losing battle but it's family...so you get to be hero. Just roll with it buddy.
Rooster
8/5/2018 5:00pm
I bought a house that was previously a Catholic Social Services Group Home. In behind the drywall in every room was 5/8" particle board that the drywall was both glued and screwed into.

Holy shit what a nightmare to demolish, but it made those walls tough as nails.

It took a sledge hammer to be able to poke a hole in the wall. Even then you couldn't grab the drywall and peel it off because it had been glued to the board behind it.

I had to turn the sledge hammer sideways and beat on each panel enough to loosen the glue bond between the drywall and the particleboard behind it. Then I could peel the drywall back bit by bit and find the screw heads on the particle board to get those panels off the studs behind.
Mx746
8/5/2018 7:44pm
KennyT wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/05/278884/s1200_C4A046E4_BF47_4812_B195_DF585D92D6BD.jpg[/img] This is another option. My wife wanted a rustic farmhouse type powder room so she did these walls. These are actually fence boards, sanded-primed-painted. Gaps...

This is another option. My wife wanted a rustic farmhouse type powder room so she did these walls. These are actually fence boards, sanded-primed-painted. Gaps are left intentionally. Very inexpensive and just paint touch up if your child damages it in any way. It’s 3/4” wood so at least there won’t be any holes
Something similar to that would be a great idea for the game room in the basement, there's kool aid man style destruction down there.
Donovan759
8/7/2018 1:50pm
I don't know what its called, but a lot of what I see on show's like Fixer Upper etc. use this wood paneling that has these grooves that help it line up similar to like siding or something. You put it on piece by piece, shoot some brads through it into the studs, and your done. Quick and easy. Seems to be the wall of choice for a lot of those tv shows.

I wish i knew more but I figured i'd be more helpful to post a little of information than nothing. Good luck man!
MJC
8/8/2018 3:27am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2018 3:28am
If you’re not looking for panelling, I’m sure you guys would have some FC type material over there that’s pretty standard. 6mm villaboard is pretty tough but I’d challenge anyone to put a hole through 9mm villaboard. Recessed edges so can be set (plastered). Failing that there is always compressed fibro ?

Post a reply to: instead of sheetrock?

The Latest